Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do SDA preach more about the Sabbath rather then making Jesus the center of SDA preaching? Yes, I have visited SDA churches before. Everytime, not a word about Jesus, always centered their sermon on the Sabbath.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why do SDA preach more about the Sabbath rather then making Jesus the center of SDA preaching? Yes, I have visited SDA churches before. Everytime, not a word about Jesus, always centered their sermon on the Sabbath.
How many times have you visited an SDA church? We teach on the Sabbath because it’s a commandment from God Exodus 20:8-11 and Jesus taught about the Sabbath in the NT. It’s referenced in the Bible over 170 times. The question should be why would you not teach about God’s holy day? Is the Sabbath the only topic every single week in church? No. The SDA church teaches on all biblical scriptures.

Here is a link to the church I belonged to for many years, I have since moved, but my pastor teaches on everything. You can search by the different topics to find the sermon.
Media Library | AFTV | Amazing Facts

Also to say the SDA church does not say a word about Jesus, that is 100% a fabrication. Just a quick search on the word Jesus Site Search | Amazing Facts

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well never thought of that

Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Within my church I haven't been the only one to notice that we can get a little preachy about the sabbath, we had an older member who had friends in other religions because she would volunteer for them or assist them during fundraisers she believed in the sabbath but she didn't think being SDA meant you closed yourself off like many of us do unfortunately.

Theres a joke that circulates among some of our pastors, when a Sunday worshipper gets into heaven he asks St. Peter "Excuse me sir? Who are they?" About a closed off group and peter responds "oh that's the Seventh day adventist group, they think they're the only ones"

When Constantine was in power he wanted to merge the many religious groups into one single group he could control and to remove the infighting and confusion so he merged the Sun god worshippers with the Christians and declared Sunday! Was the proper worship day.

He was basically mad with power, people had to cone to him to make changes or resolve disputes he eventually ordered paintings of his family with auras and halos around their heads to show a sense of divinity and considered himself a God

Eventually as time went on a group broke off from the mainstream seeking truth and found the Sabbath was the true day of Worship

Being an SDA myself I believe the same but I don't think it should be our primary mission in life to convert everyone into our ways of thinking nor do I believe it is right for us to ignore or chastise those who do not believe in the Sabbath

I believe that it is our duty to be kind selfless and generous to everyone we encounter turn the other cheek, if we do that in time others will ask the question "why do you worship on the Sabbath" and in the occasion that the spirit moves us we can share the Sabbath truths with others.

Unfortunately that can be a very unpopular opinion among our elders and some, not all, believe it should be the very first topic of conversation with anyone we meet.

But Jesus was not that way, he taught love and healing and some miracles, he never turned to the woman who touched his robes for healing and said "excuse me.. but are you a Christian? Do you believe in what my father says or do you follow the Pharisees??" No, in most cases he gave healing immediately to any who asked and left them with the phrase "go and sin no more"

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some interesting thoughts there, Richard, but Sunday had already been the standard day of worship for Christians PRIOR TO Constantine, and that fact is also presented to us in God's revealed word, Scripture, which we all know was recorded long before Constantine came along.

Upvote 0

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Why is the Sabbath important and a prominent fixture in SDA teaching?
  • The Three Angels' Messages (Revelation 14:6-12)
    • First Angel's Message—Worship God
      • Revelation 14:6-7 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    • Second Angel's Message—Babylon is Fallen
      • Revelation 14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
    • Third Angel's Message—False Worship and the Mark of the Beast
      • Revelation 14:9-11 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Just what does the Three Angels' Messages have to do with the Sabbath?

The first angel's message:

Revelation 14:6 ...and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The Sabbath commandment:

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Further, the Sabbath is a sign:

Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

We are grafted in to Israel, thus we are also the Israel spoken of as observing the Sabbath for ever. We will be obeying the Sabbath in heaven.

Isaiah 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.
Conclusion
The Three Angels' Messages point to the Sabbath as the key worship issue that determines whether you receive the mark of the beast or the Seal of God. Indeed, as per the above colored text, the Sabbath is linked as the sign and seal of the living God. All who are grafted into Israel are indeed to keep the Sabbath.

Why is it so prominent in the SDA message? Because the Three Angels' Messages are urgent and are meant for these end times and should be preached, as per Revelation 14:6.

I grew up in the SDA church, so I've attended multiple SDA churches for a good part of my life. The Sabbath was not a weekly sermon, in my experience. However, the urgency of the message is readily apparent in the above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m not surprised, since the SDA church teaches that the 7th day sabbath is the seal of God and that those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday will receive the mark of the beast.

Sabbath as Seal of God
Mark of the Beast

For an Adventist to give up the 7th day sabbath, is essentially giving up salvation unless they should return to the 7th day sabbath. That would explain it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why do SDA preach more about the Sabbath rather then making Jesus the center of SDA preaching?

I attend one every week - I have no idea of what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How many times have you visited an SDA church? We teach on the Sabbath because it’s a commandment from God Exodus 20:8-11 and Jesus taught about the Sabbath in the NT. It’s referenced in the Bible over 170 times. The question should be why would you not teach about God’s holy day? Is the Sabbath the only topic every single week in church? No. The SDA church teaches on all biblical scriptures.

Here is a link to the church I belonged to for many years, I have since moved, but my pastor teaches on everything. You can search by the different topics to find the sermon.

Also to say the SDA church does not say a word about Jesus, that is 100% a fabrication. Just a quick search on the word Jesus Site Search | Amazing Facts

Hope this helps.

When someone who is unknown visits another church that is not SDA, the Pastor makes it a point to fit salvation through Jesus in the sermon. when someone visits an SDA the Pastor makes it a point to preach only about the Sabbath. Even on Easter, this has been my experience. When I was in USAF, it was often to work on Sunday, so I would visit a SDA church in the area. And, even on easter, not a word about Jesus.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Hope this helps.

I am talking about what I have witness such in SDA Church serveries in person. In fact, how many threads started here by SDA are on Jesus vs how many threads here started here by SDA are on the Sabbath?
I do not know how to do such a count. Maybe someone who knows how to do it can.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When someone who is unknown visits another church that is not SDA, the Pastor makes it a point to fit salvation through Jesus in the sermon.

Sometimes that happens -- but I have been to a number of services on both Sunday and Saturday where the pastor had no clue who all the visitors were or how many.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And, even on easter, not a word about Jesus.

By contrast every church I have ever attended has a focus on Christ's death, burial and resurrection on Easter weekend.

So hmmm ... I guess that's a difference.

Anecdotal stories are funny that way.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am talking about what I have witness such in SDA Church serveries in person. In fact, how many threads started here by SDA are on Jesus vs how many threads here started here by SDA are on the Sabbath?
God’s Sabbath is God’s holy day. Exodus 20:8-11, Genesis 2:3 The fact a church would not speak about God’s holy day the day He blessed and sanctified is what I would be more concerned about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And your point would be that keeping God's Sabbath is important to Sabbath keepers? It's because God told us to keep it holy Exodus 20:8-11, Ezekiel 20:20, Isaiah 58:13

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why is the Sabbath important and a prominent fixture in SDA teaching?
  • The Three Angels' Messages (Revelation 14:6-12)
    • First Angel's Message—Worship God
      • Revelation 14:6-7 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    • Second Angel's Message—Babylon is Fallen
      • Revelation 14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
    • Third Angel's Message—False Worship and the Mark of the Beast
      • Revelation 14:9-11 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Just what does the Three Angels' Messages have to do with the Sabbath?

The first angel's message:

Revelation 14:6 ...and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

The Sabbath commandment:

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Further, the Sabbath is a sign:

Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

We are grafted in to Israel, thus we are also the Israel spoken of as observing the Sabbath for ever. We will be obeying the Sabbath in heaven.

Isaiah 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.
Conclusion
The Three Angels' Messages point to the Sabbath as the key worship issue that determines whether you receive the mark of the beast or the Seal of God. Indeed, as per the above colored text, the Sabbath is linked as the sign and seal of the living God. All who are grafted into Israel are indeed to keep the Sabbath.

Why is it so prominent in the SDA message? Because the Three Angels' Messages are urgent and are meant for these end times and should be preached, as per Revelation 14:6.

I grew up in the SDA church, so I've attended multiple SDA churches for a good part of my life. The Sabbath was not a weekly sermon, in my experience. However, the urgency of the message is readily apparent in the above.

I recently watched the series 7 Deadly Myths of Christianity which tags on some of the things you are saying. I am not familiar with this speaker, but I really liked him and the series.

The first video is on the change God's holy day commandment and touches on the history of the church

The second tags on your post the seal of God and the mark of the beast.

The 7 Deadly Myths in Christianity | Deadly Myths

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Within my church I haven't been the only one to notice that we can get a little preachy about the sabbath, we had an older member who had friends in other religions because she would volunteer for them or assist them during fundraisers she believed in the sabbath but she didn't think being SDA meant you closed yourself off like many of us do unfortunately.

Theres a joke that circulates among some of our pastors, when a Sunday worshipper gets into heaven he asks St. Peter "Excuse me sir? Who are they?" About a closed off group and peter responds "oh that's the Seventh day adventist group, they think they're the only ones"

When Constantine was in power he wanted to merge the many religious groups into one single group he could control and to remove the infighting and confusion so he merged the Sun god worshippers with the Christians and declared Sunday! Was the proper worship day.

He was basically mad with power, people had to cone to him to make changes or resolve disputes he eventually ordered paintings of his family with auras and halos around their heads to show a sense of divinity and considered himself a God

Eventually as time went on a group broke off from the mainstream seeking truth and found the Sabbath was the true day of Worship

Being an SDA myself I believe the same but I don't think it should be our primary mission in life to convert everyone into our ways of thinking nor do I believe it is right for us to ignore or chastise those who do not believe in the Sabbath

I believe that it is our duty to be kind selfless and generous to everyone we encounter turn the other cheek, if we do that in time others will ask the question "why do you worship on the Sabbath" and in the occasion that the spirit moves us we can share the Sabbath truths with others.

Unfortunately that can be a very unpopular opinion among our elders and some, not all, believe it should be the very first topic of conversation with anyone we meet.

But Jesus was not that way, he taught love and healing and some miracles, he never turned to the woman who touched his robes for healing and said "excuse me.. but are you a Christian? Do you believe in what my father says or do you follow the Pharisees??" No, in most cases he gave healing immediately to any who asked and left them with the phrase "go and sin no more"

Welcome to CF Richard! Hope to see you around.

God bless.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Some interesting thoughts there, Richard, but Sunday had already been the standard day of worship for Christians PRIOR TO Constantine, and that fact is also presented to us in God's revealed word, Scripture, which we all know was recorded long before Constantine came along.

Indeed. Whether one loves Constantine, hates him, or is merely indifferent, his impact on this particular aspect of Christianity is non-existant.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,694.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Alas, none of the above is factual, and the person who first came up with the above falsehoods is going to have to answer for the many people who have been led astray by the above nonsense. Please take the time to read actual historians and use the intellect God gave you to confirm the truth or otherwise of what you have read.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.