Why do I still age if I haven`t done anything wrong?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I rather have this one ;(

The doctrine of the Resurrection is a bit nuanced. The only example of resurrection we have is Jesus, and we know that Jesus rose with the same body He had prior. That's why the tomb was empty. Jesus was able to show the wounds of His crucifixion to His followers.

So yes, these bodies are what are raised up. But resurrection doesn't mean this body, as it is, forever. St. Paul likens it to planting a seed in the ground, when you plant a seed it "dies" but rises to become something more than it was. An acorn grows into an oak tree, and the oak tree is far more glorious than the little acorn. There is a continuity between the acorn and the oak tree though, you don't plant an acorn and then get an apple tree.

So the body is "sown" in its present state: mortal, corruptible (that is, able to age, get sick, decay, rot) but it is raised immortal and incorruptible. It is "sown" in dishonor and raised in honor.

St. Paul then uses two words that can easily be misunderstood, he says that the body is "sown" (and I'll quote the Greek here) a soma psuchekon, but it is raised a soma pneumatikon. Translated, it is "sown" a "soulish body" but it is raised a "spiritual body". These terms Paul uses, "soulish" and "spiritual" are sometimes misunderstood as though to mean "physical" and "spiritual", but that's not what they mean. They are not about what the body is composed of materially--that is, the matter which makes up the body--but rather the kind of quality, or state, or life which the body has. It's like saying there are "row boats" and there are "steam boats". A row boat is not a boat made out of rows (that wouldn't make any sense), just as a steam boat isn't a boat made out of steam (again, that makes no sense). Rather a row boat is a boat which is powered, moved, by rowing; just as a steam boat is a boat which powered, moved, by a steam engine. So, like this, the difference between the present "soulish body" and the future "spiritual body" is the kind of existence the body has. The present body is "soulish", it is animal, dependent upon appetite and desire, its life is a mortal, corruptible life--it requires sustenance, it gets sick, it is weak, it gets old, it dies. But the future body is "spiritual", that is, it has been given life by the Holy Spirit, it is glorified, it is transformed, it cannot suffer, it cannot get weak, it cannot get sick, it cannot perish.

Resurrection means that the body becomes more than what it is now. Better than what it is now. We don't become less human, we become more human.

Think of it this way, in a very real sense you are just a shadow of yourself. There is so much more to you that could be, but isn't, because of sin, because of death, because of the weakness of your flesh, because of the limitations imposed by the suffering, struggle, and mortality of this life. In the resurrection you don't become less you, you become more you. You become the you that can exist because of the the perfection and glory of God in Jesus Christ. A you whose identity is rooted not in your mere animal desire which leads to suffering and pain and death; but a you rooted in the Jesus Christ who came to bring healing and renewal to all of creation, and to share in that healing and renewal of all creation.

The perishing, the temporal, the vain things of this life which have no permanence they don't matter. The power, the glory, the things we think are so important about this present life are really, and in truth, empty things. What does it matter if one is rich now? Money has no permanence, wealth is fleeting, it is all moth and rust. What does it matter if you are a king, or the billionaire CEO of a major corporation. What does it matter that you are famous, or successful in finances, or that you managed to find some kind of "popularity" in this life. All these things are fleeting, from dust you came and to dust you shall return.

That is why all these things, they don't matter. These treasures here, they're all meaningless vanities. There are true treasures in this life, but they aren't things, they aren't objects, they aren't status, or position, or tokens of wealth or success. The treasures here are the relationships we make with our fellow human beings, the bonds and friendships we have. The time and the resources we spent loving others. The kindness we showed other people. The hug we gave to a friend who was in pain. The small gift we gave to the beggar who needed food. These are our treasures, these are the things from this life that will have meaning in the next. For all which is truly good will never perish or pass away. All which has true substance, and real meaning, is eternal, because in Christ all which is truly good is purposed and destined to last. That is why we believe in the resurrection, in the life of the world to come.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well I was hoping for that :p
You were hoping to live in your present body for all eternity? Maybe I misunderstand your meaning, but at least lets be clear that this is not what Scripture or Christians mean when the term eternal life is used. And to follow up on the post by ViaCrucis, the body that Christs himself arose in was not identical to the one that was crucified anyway.

Upvote 0

Principium

Jun 10, 2019
Lena
✟12,731.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You were hoping to live in your present body for all eternity? Maybe I misunderstand your meaning, but at least lets be clear that this is not what Scripture or Christians mean when the term eternal life is used.

If it`s not forever on this planet in your own body, then what`s the point? :p

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If it`s not forever on this planet in your own body, then what`s the point? :p
Of living forever rather than being extinguished after a short time? Is that the question? Or is it that not being exactly the same, physically, after death as you were when laid in the grave? I should think that most of us can appreciate living on as oneself, not as some disembodied ghost, BUT ALSO having our bodies be perfected or glorified (to use a more theological term) much as we say was the case with Christ himself.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
f it`s not forever on this planet in your own body, then what`s the point?

Ever look up at the night sky?
There's A LOT of stars up there...

Consider the possibility that perhaps you aren't thinking big enough...

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I guess I`m aging like everyone else even though I can`t really say I have done anything wrong to anyone or something and I`m not denying god or jesus ether, so I still age and die and lose my body I have now?

1 John 3:4
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die (earthly death), yet shall he live (eternal life),

Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire This is the second death, the lake of fire. (no eternal life)

Aging is a path eventually ending in death.

Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well, I guess I`m aging like everyone else even though I can`t really say I have done anything wrong to anyone or something and I`m not denying god or jesus ether, so I still age and die and lose my body I have now?

Aging and dying is very much part of God's initial design. It's a tool to help achieve balance of life that exists in limited space and with limited resources. If God were to create an infinite Earth with infinite resources of all kinds, then, yes, He would peobably consider creating humans and other living organisms to never age and live forever. God also created all kinds of viruses and bacterias to shorten higher lifeform lifespan, including human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Adam and Eve lived longer because there was no peer pressure

And also because their telomeres structure was different from our's. They were a different model of humans, so to speak. I wander what else were they different from the modern humans? Taller height, extra sensory organs, who knows.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And also because their telomeres structure was different from our's. They were a different model of humans, so to speak. I wander what else were they different from the modern humans? Taller height, extra sensory organs, who knows.
Perhaps originally green skinned. That would alter some mindsets and illustrations.

Reactions: Temirlan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps originally green skinned. That would alter some mindsets and illustrations.

I love green! That would help them blend in with vegitation and avoid preditors. Or better yet, green fur all over their bodies.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I love green! That would help them blend in with vegitation and avoid preditors. Or better yet, green fur all over their bodies.
Perhaps the original humans were constantly changing and melting in appearance and the Garden was made up of shimmering fractals.

Reactions: Temirlan
Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
That would be angels

It never says angels aren't humans or very similar to them. Maybe we are Human ver.7.11, and they are ver.5.0. This shining winged image doesn't correspond with the Bible, where angels are easily confused with regular homo sapiens. And perhaps we ourselves have abilities we haven't yet tapped into?

Upvote 0