Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been thinking on this recently and came up with the following (which I do not know if others have said before me).

If God wanted to break the Covenant of Genesis 12 and Genesis 15:9-18, to bring in the new Covenant of Jeremiah 31:31-34, he had to pay the price of breaking a covenant and die (as it says, about the price of breaking a covenant, in Jeremiah 34:18-20).

Jesus's death is God paying that price.

Any (polite ;) ) thoughts on this?
Mat_5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Mat_5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Yup.

Fulfill. As in conclude and end the old covenant, and bring in a brand spanking shiny new one that actually works by offering salvation.

Hebrews 10:4

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been thinking on this recently and came up with the following (which I do not know if others have said before me).

If God wanted to break the Covenant of Genesis 12 and Genesis 15:9-18, to bring in the new Covenant of Jeremiah 31:31-34, he had to pay the price of breaking a covenant and die (as it says, about the price of breaking a covenant, in Jeremiah 34:18-20).

Jesus's death is God paying that price.

Any (polite ;) ) thoughts on this?

Hebrews 9 is a good read on that"
Hebrews 9:
15 Therefore Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, now that He has died to redeem them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
16 In the case of a will, it is necessary to establish the death of the one who made it,
17 because a will does not take effect until the one who made it has died; it cannot be executed while he is still alive.

18 That is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without b
lood.
1 Corin 7:23
Of value/honor ye are bought/hgorasqhte <59>,
no be ye becoming! bond-slaves of men. [Reve 5:9]

Revelation 5:9
and they sing a new song, saying, `Worthy art thou to take the scroll, and to open the seals of it,
because Thou wast slaughtered, and didst purchase/hgorasaV <59> Us to God in Thy blood, out of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation

[Hosea 13:14/1 Corin 7:23]

New Covenant of Jeremiah 31 Hebrew 8
New Covenant of Jeremiah 31 Hebrew 8

last-will-300x198.jpg

This character even made a Last Will and Testament in case he is "raptured". Oh my LOL

A Rapture codicil for Last Will and Testament « Heaven Awaits

For a long time, I enjoyed thinking about the Rapture, and if it were true, and when it might happen, if true. But I had never put too much thought into what would happened to those left behind to people I cared about, if there was a rapture and I was in it.
So what I am doing now is updating my Last Will and Testament, and including a codicil to the Will which addresses the Rapture. Most wills being executed are based on a person&#8217;s death, not their disappearance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
By saying that the OT didn't work in bringing salvation necessitating a new covenant. You are making a false dichotomy.

Nope, I'm pointing out the truth:

God wanted to bring in a new covenant - Jeremiah 31:31-34
Because the old covenant was inferior and flawed - Hebrews 8:6-7 Hebrews 8:13
It was flawed because it did not offer salvation - Romans 3:20 Hebrews 10:4

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Salvation was NEVER its purpose! Where did it ever offer that?
I don't think he is saying that did or was...?

Is he...? Maybe that some (men) wrongly "assumed" that that was it's purpose, but he's not saying that that was it's actual purpose...?

It's actual purpose was to lead and pave the way to the New Covenant...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think he is saying that did or was...?

Is he...? Maybe that some (men) wrongly "assumed" that that was it's purpose, but he's not saying that that was it's actual purpose...?

It's actual purpose was to lead and pave the way to the New Covenant...

God Bless!

Typical Christian arguments say that the Law was given to show men that they couldn't earn their way to heaven. This is a bad argument because it begins with a false premise. The Law was never about getting to heaven. So, in this sense, men have indeed wrongly assumed that was its purpose.

The Law was a national constitution, not a theory of soteriology.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Typical Christian arguments say that the Law was given to show men that they couldn't earn their way to heaven. This is a bad argument because it begins with a false premise. The Law was never about getting to heaven. So, in this sense, men have indeed wrongly assumed that was its purpose.

The Law was a national constitution, not a theory of soteriology.
The law was, and is many things, that include, but are not solely limited to a national constitution only... For example it shows us what God is like, and many other things, his (moral) standards, ect... It shows us the "target", so to speak...

At least it's moral laws anyway...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yup - Hebrews 8:13

Do you both looking at links, or are you just reacting without doing so?
Only after it's real purpose is fulfilled, or is done in someone's life, (like with non-believers) (or those not fully in the N.C. yet) and they enter into the New Covenant after it...

Not before it/that though...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yup - Hebrews 8:13

Do you both looking at links, or are you just reacting without doing so?

No, I am quite familiar with Christian arguments against the Law because I grew up with them and made them myself. As I got older and looked at them in the context of the history and culture of the Jesus and the nation of Israel, it became clear that these arguments are based on literalist interpretations that have no regard for historical/cultural context. How people in Jesus' and Paul's day would have understood what they were saying is different than the way we understand them. Our paradigms are inaccurate.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I am quite familiar with Christian arguments against the Law because I grew up with them and made them myself. As I got older and looked at them in the context of the history and culture of the Jesus and the nation of Israel, it became clear that these arguments are based on literalist interpretations that have no regard for historical/cultural context. How people in Jesus' and Paul's day would have understood what they were saying is different than the way we understand them. Our paradigms are inaccurate.

Twaddle. The rule against adultery is not symbolic or metaphorical.

Upvote 0