Why Did God Hate Esau?

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Romans 9:13 says, "As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”.

I have two questions regarding this text in the book of Romans. Please answer both questions, and provide a brief explanation of your answers if you wish.

1) Why did God hate Esau?

2) What was the consequence of God’'s hate for Esau?

God hated the unholy character of esau, IOW, the unholy person in him, not esau himslef, and unfortunately for that time there had not been enough good opportunity for God to remove his unrighteousness from him so that he could not have lost his birthright

Blessings

Upvote 0

writewords

Meant for ministry. Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican

I have two questions regarding this text in the book of Romans. Please answer both questions, and provide a brief explanation of your answers if you wish.

It is a Jewish way of saying God chose Jacob over Esau. Result is the line of the Messiah came through Jacob who became Israel.
Jesus actually uses the same idiom in a different tense the NT.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,767.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God hated the unholy character of esau, IOW, the unholy person in him, not esau himslef, and unfortunately for that time there had not been enough good opportunity for God to remove his unrighteousness from him so that he could not have lost his birthright

Blessings

So, there are two Esaus - the unholy character and Esau himself. I was unaware of the existence of both of these characters. So, where did God say, Esau himself I have loved, but the unholy character Esau I have hated?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It is a Jewish way of saying God chose Jacob over Esau. Result is the line of the Messiah came through Jacob who became Israel.
Jesus actually uses the same idiom in a different tense the NT.

Thanks for the lesson; however, you have answered a question I didn't ask.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

"in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory" ~ Romans 9:23
"destruction" ~ Romans 9:22

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory" ~ Romans 9:23

I think the answer to #1 is

though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— (ESV) Romans 9:11

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

God doesn't hate anyone, that's an animalistic human emotion protected onto God. The Old Testament was written by Jews and for a Jewish audience. It's their traditional story of origins through their own eyes. In that age they tended to think God ran every event that occurred based on their own expectation of how things should be going.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
How about the explanation provided right in the text?

Romans 9:11

though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— (ESV)
:amen: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'm forgetful and I love context!

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Blessings

What does that MEAN... that God hated the "unholy character of Esau....
the unholy person IN (Esau), not Esau himself...."?

What SCRIPTURE teaches such a thing?

And what do you mean God did not have "enough good opportunity" to save Esau?
God is the one who MAKES such opportunities... is He not?

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't hate anyone, that's an animalistic human emotion protected onto God. The Old Testament was written by Jews and for a Jewish audience. It's their traditional story of origins through their own eyes. In that age they tended to think God ran every event that occurred based on their own expectation of how things should be going.

What?
Are you saying the Providence of God is an OT teaching?
Are you saying that God does not "hate" the "false prophets" in the church?
Are you saying that God does not "hate" the "children of Satan"?

Do you have SCRIPTURES to support those ideas?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello Colter.

Sections of the Old Testament were written by God Himself, i.e., the messianic prophecies.
At a minimum, these prophecies are the literal proof that Jesus was the promised messiah.
This proof is intended for both Jew and gentile.

To say that the Old Testament was written for Jews, would be an erroneous generalization.
Though ninety percent of the scripture is aimed at a Jewish audience, agreed.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hello RC.

Since God chose Jacob and did not choose Esau, before they were born of course. Is the text telling us that Jacob was saved and Esau was damned?

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello RC.

Since God chose Jacob and did not choose Esau, before they were born of course. Is the text telling us that Jacob was saved and Esau was damned?
Yes. Jacob receives mercy and Esau receives justice.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think the answer to #1 is

though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— (ESV) Romans 9:11
Yes. Verse 11 answers it as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What?
Are you saying the Providence of God is an OT teaching?
Are you saying that God does not "hate" the "false prophets" in the church?
Are you saying that God does not "hate" the "children of Satan"?

Do you have SCRIPTURES to support those ideas?
Men tend to create God in their own image. In the Old Testament God is largely the shadow of those who wrote the extremely biased and wildly exaggerated history about themselves.

Jesus revealed the true character of the Father. He never went around in jealous fits of rage towards his fellows. The only time he even expressed frustration was towards those profiteers who turned the temple into a commercial enterprise. No, hate is the wrong word.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hello Colter.

Sections of the Old Testament were written by God Himself, i.e., the messianic prophecies.
At a minimum, these prophecies are the literal proof that Jesus was the promised messiah.
This proof is intended for both Jew and gentile.

To say that the Old Testament was written for Jews, would be an erroneous generalization.
Though ninety percent of the scripture is aimed at a Jewish audience, agreed.

God doesn't write books. Non Jews were considered "Gentile dogs." They only allowed Gentiles in because they needed the manpower.
And even some of those OT scriptures which have been contorted to apply to Jesus didn't really apply to the Messiah. In fact scant little applies to Jesus. The Jews expectations of a Jewish Messiah was erroneous, Jesus was quite different.

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Men tend to create God in their own image. In the Old Testament God is largely the shadow of those who wrote the extremely biased and wildly exaggerated history about themselves.

Jesus revealed the true character of the Father. He never went around in jealous fits of rage towards his fellows. The only time he even expressed frustration was towards those profiteers who turned the temple into a commercial enterprise. No, hate is the wrong word.

You are creating a strawman. We are not talking about "fits of rage".
We are talking about "hate". Obviously we can hate someone/something
without having "fits of rage".

So I will simply ask you AGAIN.... does God "hate" the "false prophets" in the church?
Does God "hate" people who are "children of Satan"?

Upvote 0