Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disclaimer #1: I didn't know where else to post this to get a Christian perspective.

Disclaimer #2: I know that we can't truly and literally understand why God created these things in us.

I've got to get some gallbladder testing done because it's causing me some discomfort. It may or may not have to be removed. As most people are aware, we can live without it. That got me thinking about other things such as the appendix (which is especially useless and heinous, as it does literally nothing but can take your life) and tonsils. Things that are mostly useless and pointless but can cause severe problems. Why? Why even create them?

No body part is useless.

The gallbladders main function is to store bile. It stores bile from the liver, and squirts it into the intestine to help with the digestion of fat. A friend who had her gall bladder out years ago has to be careful with how much fat she eats and it has to be fresh.

The appendix possibly stores good bacteria and manufactures several types of antibodies.

The tonsils are now well established as part of the body's immune system.

Just because we don't know everything that an organ does, doesn't mean it does nothing. It means we are ignorant. For years the attitude of "it's useless" meant it wasn't even studied and that attitude will keep us ignorant.

We can cope with the loss of numerous body parts, but that doesn't mean they weren't being used for something. I will probably need my toenail off and while I will be thankful not to have a painful ingrown toenail anymore I know I am trading that problem for a different one. nails are there to protect your toes. Same way if you get all your teeth pulled out and have false ones, the loss always has some effect.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Disclaimer #1: I didn't know where else to post this to get a Christian perspective.

Disclaimer #2: I know that we can't truly and literally understand why God created these things in us.

I've got to get some gallbladder testing done because it's causing me some discomfort. It may or may not have to be removed. As most people are aware, we can live without it. That got me thinking about other things such as the appendix (which is especially useless and heinous, as it does literally nothing but can take your life) and tonsils. Things that are mostly useless and pointless but can cause severe problems. Why? Why even create them?

Technically, yes, we can live without our gallbladder, but living without one requires significant dietary adjustments, because it concentrates bile and helps our bodies digest fats.

The effects of appendix removal are not readily apparent, but the view of the appendix as a vestigial organ has begun to change recently. Some scientists believe that it acts as a safe house for our digestive bacteria, in case a disease kills off our beneficial intestinal bacteria. Admittedly, I don't know much about tonsils, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Thera
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do men have nipples? We know why women have them. But given they came from us, then that means we already had nipples first. What was the point?

Silly I know but I've always wondered.
Only Eve came from Adam. Thereafter we all came from her. Further to this, we are all physically female until our Y chromosome is activated and causes the changes that make us male.
I would suggest that this is why we have nipples.

Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God is amazing.. We can even live with half of a head.

Now..... ladies... no jokes about why they are all men...LOL

View attachment 264695

View attachment 264696

View attachment 264697

View attachment 264698

View attachment 264699

images

images
I found these photos shocking. It's terrible what has happen to those men.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Short answer: There are no "useless" body parts. Only parts who's purposes are not known.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Don't be so quick to assume such body parts are useless. We can survive without them, but that does not make them useless. In the 50's, it was routine to remove the tonsils. Then the medical profession decided they served a purpose. Recently, a researcher found that the appendix has a useful function. The body is vulnerable because of the sin nature and Satan's activity. God has built amazing sickness defence mechanisms into us. We are surely "fearfully and wonderfully made". This body will be replaced. In the meantime, it's all we have. It's worth taking care of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I don't believe they are useless. The gallblader helps you process fat, the appendix was thought to be useless for years but I believe it helps to remove toxins, not sure about the spleen. I don't believe that anything in our bodies is useless, that sort is borderline sacrilegious if you believe in a creator. Our understanding of the body even with our break throughs has lagged behind. The problematic nature of some organs that we remove, I believe is more an aspect of the Fall. From what I can tell, God as a designer is more like a German car maker than anything in which most aspects of our bodies are well designed as far as precision goes but certain parts can be problematic as far as break down goes.

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That they can be removed without significant ill effect is more a testament to the design redundancy in the system which is actually very clever if we think about it.

Brilliant indeed. Usually it would be considered brilliant design if it did not break down instead of having useless stuff hanging around...

There are some more "Brilliant body parts" we no longer need.

9 useless body parts that humans no longer need

Of course this is all remnants of the evolution , but let`s not confuse the thread with facts but continue to ponder why God created us with wisdom teeth and the auricular muscles of the ear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

May I suggest that you start following sites like Answersingenesis, Creation.com. You don't have to follow there YEC views, but because they believe in the Authority of the bible as the Word of God they research issues that challenge evolutionry like the idea thast there are useless or left over organs.

The current biological and medical view is that there are no useless organs.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brilliant indeed. Usually it would be considered brilliant design if it did not break down instead of having useless stuff hanging around...

There are some more "Brilliant body parts" we no longer need.

9 useless body parts that humans no longer need

Of course this is all remnants of the evolution , but let`s not confuse the thread with facts but continue to ponder why God created us with wisdom teeth and the auricular muscles of the ear.
I guess that goes along with "Junk DNA". But how can something real be the remnant of a fairy tale?

Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had my gallbladder taken out. The whole organ calcified. It took two surgeons over four hours using powered surgical tools of some sort to basically chip it out. When I went in they thought I simply had stones and would be a simple surgery, but they ended cutting a real gash in me to get it out. I don't believe what happened to me is common, so don't worry about it. Just sharing my experience.

Three things to consider about gallbladder surgery. First, even if you have your gallbladder removed due to stones, that will not solve the stones problem in everyone. You can still get stones in your bile ducts. Second, the doctors should inform you about the chance of abdominal adhesions. I had appendix surgery and over 15 years later I had to have a second surgery due to a complete small bowel obstruction due to an abdominal adhesion. Due to the chance of these, surgery should be only used when necessary. Third, not having a gallbladder in my case has a complication that I have to plan for on a daily basis. As stated above in a few posts, the gallbladder stores bile to help with the digestion of fat. Fat is a necessary part of our diet, so you can't cut it out completely, plus, who doesn't like fatty food every now and then. But when you eat too much of the wrong types of fat, it tends to (putting it as pleasantly as possible) come out rapidly. This means if I eat fried food or food cooked in butter, I will need to be close to the facilities for the next hour or so.

Not trying to scare you, but I do believe it is best to have all the pertinent information you can when making a major medical decision.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think it was Augustine that argued that Adam and Eve understood the function of everything in nature, given that it was the job of Adam to name all creatures, but that this perfect understanding of God's good design got lost in the Fall.

For example - I have a pet hedgehog (she's very cute!) but the fact that she's covered in quills can make little sense! That is, besides being a defence mechanism and designed to inflict pain, what's its original purpose? My mind kind of goes to Adam picking up a hedgehog to brush his hair, but that gets pretty bizarre.

My point is, I think there's something to the idea that because of our corruption, original sin, there are many things we cannot properly understand; partly because of our limited and corrupted way of thinking, but also because we don't have a very clear idea of what a world without sin, death, pain and evil looks like. In the Fall, not only was man corrupted, but Scripture says even the whole creation became subject to death and decay, and that it groans to be made new.

I think even if we don't quite understand the function of all body parts and everything in nature, we can rest assured that they were made by God for a good reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But how can something real be the remnant of a fairy tale?

Indeed it can not so your logic is flawed.

Science explains why we have the auricular muscles of the ear and the wisdom teeth

Auricular muscles control the visible part of the ear, but humans have lost the ability to use them. Other mammals use these muscles to detect prey and predators.

Humans no longer need very powerful jaws because our diets have shifted toward soft foods and cooked grains. Our jaws are also smaller, so we can't all fit in our wisdom teeth properly.

So that is science. Logic and evidence.

What is your explanation why God would have created these now useless features ?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Technically, yes, we can live without our gallbladder, but living without one requires significant dietary adjustments, because it concentrates bile and helps our bodies digest fats.

The effects of appendix removal are not readily apparent, but the view of the appendix as a vestigial organ has begun to change recently. Some scientists believe that it acts as a safe house for our digestive bacteria, in case a disease kills off our beneficial intestinal bacteria. Admittedly, I don't know much about tonsils, though.

Tonsils house good bacteria that serve two purposes... One, to serve as a last-point to introduce good microbes/bacteria into the food we eat before fully committing it to our digestive tract and absorption into our bodies, where purging the effects of tainted food is harder on our body (and riskier). Two, as a means to filter air we breathe through our mouths from airborne contaminants. Because, unlike our nose, there is no hair to filter out particles before inhaling them, the tonsils serve that purpose.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed it can not so your logic is flawed.

Science explains why we have the auricular muscles of the ear and the wisdom teeth

Auricular muscles control the visible part of the ear, but humans have lost the ability to use them. Other mammals use these muscles to detect prey and predators.

Humans no longer need very powerful jaws because our diets have shifted toward soft foods and cooked grains. Our jaws are also smaller, so we can't all fit in our wisdom teeth properly.

So that is science. Logic and evidence.

What is your explanation why God would have created these now useless features ?

Because at one time they weren’t useless and not needing them now doesn’t mean our prehistoric ancestors didn’t need them...

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because at one time they weren’t useless and not needing them now doesn’t mean our prehistoric ancestors didn’t need them...

All those predators at the garden meant we needed auricular ear muscles ?

Upvote 0

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'm not sure there are many useless body parts, if any at all. Gallbladders are used for digestion, the appendix and tonsils form part of the immune system.

Even the foreskin, which was commanded by God to be removed as an Old Testament covenant sign (and which is routinely removed for health reasons today), is claimed by some to have a protective or sexual function. (But even if it doesn't, it could be argued this part was created for its removal as a covenant symbol).

Upvote 0