Why are you non-denominational?

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I completely agree. I've come to appreciate the importance of cooperation among believers across church lines. Without this we get the mess we're currently in: duplication of some ministries, elimination of some ministries, and performance of some ministries by well-intentioned people who are otherwise not equipped to do them.
Eph 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

This has been a general trend in many denominational churches, as well. Occasionally, they call themselves "community" churches. Their paradigm is that since doctrine divides, let's not teach doctrine, so we can attract believers of different backgrounds.
but doctrine is essential for salvation right? I hope you understand what I mean by that

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
but doctrine is essential for salvation right? I hope you understand what I mean by that
I think so, too. Community churches are probably suitable for adults who have learned Christian doctrine in other churches.

I don't know what the effect of growing up in such a church would be. If I had school-age children, I'd hesitate to become a member. This is really a catch 22 bec community churches usually have the best programs.

They attract people but do not teach them doctrine. Maybe they teach "essential" doctrine and there is no need to fuss about the rest! I don't know.

Reactions: Omah1970
Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think so, too. Community churches are probably suitable for adults who have learned Christian doctrine in other churches.

I don't know what the effect of growing up in such a church would be. If I had school-age children, I'd hesitate to become a member. This is really a catch 22 bec community churches usually have the best programs.

They attract people but do not teach them doctrine. Maybe they teach "essential" doctrine and there is no need to fuss about the rest! I don't know.

In community churches, a healthy non-denominational community church to be specific, all of the teaching derives directly from the Bible. Community churches do not include traditional practices that are not in the Bible. For example, I have been to churches (won't specify denomination) where members have shunned others for coming to church in casual clothing. Whereas in the community churches I have attended it is not frowned upon to come in a polo, shorts/jeans, and some tennis shoes. In community church the goal is to become a Christ follower and put aside a lot of the ritual based practices that are not called for us to follow in the Bible. With that said, it is okay to come dressed up, it just isn't a requirement. In community churches, requiring that somebody dress a particular way is considered to be Pharisee-like mindset. Other examples could include ritual hand-washing, fasting, etc. Community churches do not teach these doctrines are required for Salvation, because they are not. These type of things are for the process of Sanctification, which is completely separate from Salvation.

Hope that helps build some understanding.

Matthew 23:5
Matthew 9:14
Matthew 23:23

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andy S. Wright

Hiding In Plain Sight
Jun 6, 2009
Texas
✟11,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Baptist (Fundamental, Independent, and Autonomous). Served in several of these churches for more years than I care to remember only to be tossed out of the nearest airlock when political factions within the 'church' weighed me in their balances and found me wanting (Translation: I didn't empower people or cliques to make church policy from the safety of the pew). Over the years, my personal affiliations with Demonizing, Ego-driven, Authoritarian, Denominational forms of churchianity became as impotent as the Holy Spirit's influence within those organizations.

I migrated to non-denominational churches and spent several years walking among the people within those organizations. I discovered the common thread within most of these churches is a personally painful experience within a denominational church. So, one could easily argue the existence of these non-denominational churches is the direct result of traditional denominational church administrative/political structures run amok.

I currently serve in a non-denominational church but I find as I grow older and progress further in my personal walk with Christ that I am less a non-denominationalist and more of an anti-denominationalist. The tribalism that has consumed pretty much every culture and society on the planet is alive-and-well in denominational "Christianity" to its eternal detriment. (Revelation 3:1-6)

Just my .02, do with them what you will...

~ASW~

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I currently serve in a non-denominational church but I find as I grow older and progress further in my personal walk with Christ that I am less a non-denominationalist and more of an anti-denominationalist. The tribalism that has consumed pretty much every culture and society on the planet is alive-and-well in denominational "Christianity" to its eternal detriment.
Certainly, several members have expressed similar views. Because of my own experience, I've been against becoming an official member of any particular church.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Community churches do not include traditional practices that are not in the Bible. For example, I have been to churches (won't specify denomination) where members have shunned others for coming to church in casual clothing. Whereas in the community churches I have attended it is not frowned upon to come in a polo, shorts/jeans, and some tennis shoes. In community church the goal is to become a Christ follower and put aside a lot of the ritual based practices that are not called for us to follow in the Bible.
Casual clothing is a positive point for community churches, whether denominational or non-denominational.

Other examples could include ritual hand-washing, fasting, etc. Community churches do not teach these doctrines are required for Salvation, because they are not. These type of things are for the process of Sanctification, which is completely separate from Salvation.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What are ritual hand washings? Are you saying that community churches are usually concerned with salvation and _not_ with sanctification?

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Casual clothing is a positive point for community churches, whether denominational or non-denominational.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What are ritual hand washings? Are you saying that community churches are usually concerned with salvation and _not_ with sanctification?

Literal hand-washing. So, there are practices in some denominations where one washes their hands before prayer, awakes from sleeping, after eating, etc. These are ritualistic practices that you are suppose to keep in specific denominations, whereas the non-denominational church steers away from these type of practices.

Community churches are concerned about both Salvation and Sanctification, just not religious man-made practices that have nothing to do with what the bible says brings forth Salvation and Sanctification. For example, the hand-washing is still apart of denominations today but when you look at the New Testament and review Matthew 15:1-20 you will see Jesus' reply to the pharisees and their traditions. The new testament makes it clear that Jesus does not approve of the pharisees age-old man-made traditions. These are the type of practices that a community does not teach. Hope that clarifies my previous post more. If not, let's keep talking about it. :)

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Literal hand-washing. So, there are practices in some denominations where one washes their hands before prayer, awakes from sleeping, after eating, etc. These are ritualistic practices that you are suppose to keep in specific denominations,
I've been in many denominations and never heard of this before. Which denominations practice this?

Community churches are concerned about both Salvation and Sanctification, just not religious man-made practices that have nothing to do with what the bible says brings forth Salvation and Sanctification.
When I said that many churches do not teach doctrine, I was referring to things like the Nicene Creed, the meaning of Communion and Baptism, and other theories of Eschatology besides dispensationalism.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been in many denominations and never heard of this before. Which denominations practice this?

Nor have I. If there is some small network of such churches, it has completely avoided detection by every reference source as well as by you and me. So I also look forward to the answer to your question: "Which churches do that?"

Upvote 0

Shinsoo

Nov 13, 2019
Grand Forks, North Dakota
✟15,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm coming to terms with a lot of adjustments that I have discovered--and I can't just shake off as mere mental madness. To label myself into a denomination at this stage would do more harm than good.

Just the fact I have accepted Christ as my Savior is enough for me to start with. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OneOfTheMasters

Dec 6, 2019
Alabama
✟114,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have chosen to be non denominal for this reason...........
There are too many divisions among traditional churches and each think they are right!

I am a born again child of God,I pray,study the word,love fellowship among ALL of His people,am non judgmental and believe the assembling of ourselves together should be a testimony of worship to God.

To me being born again should be the first order of business among the churches,sadly it isnt.

Discipleship classes should be offered but not mandatory nor your attendance or lack thereof critiqued.

I go to be lifted in spirit by worship music,the preached word and the fellowship of the saints.

I find in those I have attended its like visiting family and friends,very informal and non rigid!

God being God is all knowing and all seeing,it is not my job to monitor anyone's lifestyle but my own under the leadership of the Holy Spirit!

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have chosen to be non denominal for this reason........... There are too many divisions among traditional churches and each think they are right! I am a born again child of God,I pray,study the word,love fellowship among ALL of His people,am non judgmental and believe the assembling of ourselves together should be a testimony of worship to God.
Amen. Welcome in the Christian Forums.

Discipleship classes should be offered but not mandatory nor your attendance or lack thereof critiqued.
Why is this?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have chosen to be non denominal for this reason...........
There are too many divisions among traditional churches and each think they are right!
Wouldn't non-denominationalism mean belonging to no denomination at all, rather than starting or joining in with a newer denomination--not even if that single-congregation micro-denomination calls itself "non-denominational?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OneOfTheMasters

Dec 6, 2019
Alabama
✟114,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen. Welcome in the Christian Forums.

Why is this?

I think we need to disciple and mentor the young as the word says but your attendance there in should not be a mitigating factor for church numbers

When I attended a nominal church.....oh boy if you dared to miss Sunday School!

If ppl are hungry for Him and you supply that need........they will come.

Upvote 0

OneOfTheMasters

Dec 6, 2019
Alabama
✟114,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wouldn't non-denominationalism mean belonging to no denomination at all, rather than starting or joining in with a newer denomination--not even if that single-congregation micro-denomination calls itself "non-denominational?"

I do not add my name to anyone's church membership roll.

I study the word,pray,seek Him and do my best to follow His teachings and lean not to my nor any man's understanding!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If ppl are hungry for Him and you supply that need........they will come.
You raise an interesting point: What if people are not hungry? What do you do with / for them, beside praying and accepting their donations?

I do not add my name to anyone's church membership roll.
Neither do I. Maybe I'm non-denominational without knowing it :). But I'd rather consider myself omni-denominational or an ecumenical / catholic Christian. I don't reject denominations but rather accept them all, with exceptions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OneOfTheMasters

Dec 6, 2019
Alabama
✟114,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can we make them hunger and thirst after righteousness?
Mt.5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth..........
Salt makes one thirsty!
Mt.5:6 Blessed are they which do HUNGER and THIRST after righteousness......
Jn.6:35 ..........,I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE:........

If we prepare ourselves in the word of God and walk as He commands others will see and question the reason of our hope!

Blessings!

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am multi- or non- denominational individually; I make a point of not partaking in special sacraments nor do I seek to gain power within any of them; this comes as a surprise everywhere (including in the so-called "non-denominational" denominations described above) but they find themselves having to welcome me on that basis. Real meaning of Holy Scripture, supplicating and interceding are too important. Another description of me would be "baggage-agnostic" after a lifetime trying to be "baggage fluid"! My concept of cafeteria is: eat everything on the menu, but not all at once, keep coming back. Grace Abounding is that ascending, He distributed gifts differing.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Denominational allegiance is a hindrance to my discernment and ministry. I’m operating within the confines of man’s rules which may contradict the direction I’m receiving from the Lord.

There’s a possibility of trying to make things fit and align with their theology. Which is another issue. I believe in love based ministry and that’s impossible when an agenda is influencing my work.

I am a conduit. A vessel for Him. What I desire most is for Him to work through me to reach the lost. I don’t want to put religious stumbling blocks in their path. I want to direct them to God and allow Him to order their steps.

~Bella

• Friendly
Upvote 0