Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My non-denominational church has plenty of resources to draw from. Since we're not tied to any one denomination, we use materials from a wide range of publishers.
So do we, but what I was getting at wasn't teaching resources per se, but material resources and connections.

Branding: Our church is known as "the church for people who don't like church". We do advertise but much of it comes from folks inviting others to church.
Right, but let's say you're on here and someone new to the faith asks what kind of church they should go to. Your answer probably isn't going to be as simple as "Catholic" or "Free Methodist".

It's not a small thing. When my grandfather was still with us, he would go to the jail every week to reach out to prisoners. They would ask him what kind of Christian he was because they could sense he was the real deal. He couldn't give his denomination in good faith, because there are many liberal churches in that denomination, though his wasn't one of them, so he didn't have branding working for him. But if he could have had that good faith in his denomination as a whole, he could have given them an easy answer.

Missions: We do plenty, we prefer to work within our own community though. We have groups that work with women who were in the sex trade, underprivileged kids in THE roughest neighborhood in the city, partnering with other churches to go to the reservations and build homes and infrastructure (if you want to see devastating poverty, find a local NA reservation). We do 2 "major" mission trips a year to Mexico, building houses and infrastructure (water/septic). We don't "sponsor" missionaries like many churches...we ARE the missionaries. It's kinda "put your money where your mouth is".
My church does similar things, and we sponsor foreign missionaries (we're a big church). There are missionary organizations that will train and fund short-term and long-term missionaries, but denominational churches are better connected to some of them, through the denomination.

I still consider non-denominational the best option for me, the trade-offs are worth it.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am not a fan of "through the denomination" deals. Chruches like that isolate themselves from resources that could be even more helpful. God did not create hundreds of donominatinos. Man did. I would not like a "Methodist mission" and a "Baptist mission" because they are all Christian missions.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not a fan of "through the denomination" deals. Chruches like that isolate themselves from resources that could be even more helpful. God did not create hundreds of donominatinos. Man did. I would not like a "Methodist mission" and a "Baptist mission" because they are all Christian missions.

Your experience is rare. I never seen a denomination isolate themselves from learning or helping another denomination. It is pretty common to see them support a common cause, or exchange their gleaning from Scripture.

Upvote 0

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used to consider myself somewhat Pentecostal / Assemblies of God and attended churches of that denomination for the first 4-5 years of my walk with Jesus. I moved to a beach town and due to the lack of churches in the charismatic tradition, I attended a Presbyterian church that was transitioning to Covenant. Later I moved again and started attending my wife's non-denom church (it's part of Village Missions but is self-sustaining) and I like the theology. The reason I now consider myself non-denom is because I have a different view of the baptism of the Holy Spirit than that of the AoG denomination, though I still have many friends in missionary affiliations with that church.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

OceanPoet87

Husband 'N Wifi
Feb 7, 2012
Near Lewiston, ID
✟13,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is your view of baptism of the Holy Spirit affected by the moves to different churches?

A tiny bit. But mainly because over the years, my wife made a good case for it happening at salvation and not a second time. Our current church takes that position too. But, my old AG church didn't require baptism of the holy spirit for salvation (it would be a cult if it did), so it's really more like a difference of theology but not a huge one? I mean it's certainly up for debate, but it's not a defining issue of salvation or related to one of the creeds of orthodox Christianity. I have lots of Charismatic friends and missionaries who believe that there are two baptisms. But besides that, we basically agree on all the core beliefs of biblical Christianity.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was taught there are two baptisms: of the Holy Spirit (salvation) and in water (God's command). I have no issue with people disagreeing on this one but a HUGE problem with those who say the latter is needed for salvation.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can understand this. But the potential lack of accountability in theological and financial aspects would make me too uncomfortable to join a non-denominational church.
Many non denominational churches are very accountable to their members both theologically and financially.

You don’t need to be part of a larger denomination to do that.

Many Bible-based churches are non-denominational.

I disagree

Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For me what started my decision to become non denominational was a few things. The first thing was my dads statement that the Baptist denomination was the one true denomination that rightly interpreted the Bible and was the true faith. That kind of arrogance had me questioning his sanity. 2. I have a lot of Pentecostal in my family and I love there worship even though I disagreed strongly with there Arminian theology. I was always too afraid of being accused of trashing Christ work on the cross when I stood before God if I subscribed to such heresy lol. Lord to be young and dumb again and a know it all. I just never really agreed with the politics in at least my church. The pastor was always put on a pedestal and had absolute authority over the church body there was no voting no discussion until later when my uncle became pastor. By that time I was just to over it and had found a non denominational church body that let all of us have our say. The pastor is our Sheppard not our jailer nor does he force with threat of excommunication the kjv only cult agenda like my home church would. It's really just about finding a home that loves the Lord as much as I do and lets us be free in our worship. If someone where to speak in tongues they wouldn't be told to get out. It's been a blessing and I haven't felt like I've been in prison for years. Love your Anglican denomination too!

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That is the meaning of the term, that's right. However, it is true that most non-denominational congregations, while remaining unaffiliated, are nevertheless Baptist or Pentecostal by faith and, often, by worship style as well.

Bapticostals is a term I've heard some non denominational church's give themselves if they are pressed hard enough for an answer. At least where I'm from anyway

• Haha
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,708.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By that time I was just to over it and had found a non denominational church body that let all of us have our say. The pastor is our Sheppard not our jailer nor does he force with threat of excommunication the kjv only cult agenda like my home church would. It's really just about finding a home that loves the Lord as much as I do and lets us be free in our worship.
It's a good thing to find a church where you feel that you fit and grow and fulfill the Great Commission.

On dispinsationalism and I probably butchered that word. The church I go to is but I agree to disagree I'm not insecure enough in my faith to really even think about it until it's brought up.
Most Charismatic Baptist churches nowadays are Dispensationalist. You're doing well to ignore this teaching.

Upvote 0

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like being a non-denom Christian.
I read the bible for myself, do the research myself, and let the holy Spirit guide me
Though I do find my faith leaning more onto the Protestant side rather than Catholic.

If I were to choose a denomination, I would pick 7th Day Adventist. I really like their practices.
But I would consider being an Anglican too, same beliefs

Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's a good thing to find a church where you feel that you fit and grow and fulfill the Great Commission.

Most Charismatic Baptist churches nowadays are Dispensationalist. You're doing well to ignore this teaching.
I agree my friend 100%

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the potential lack of accountability in theological and financial aspects would make me too uncomfortable to join a non-denominational church.
Is it a financial issue, in order to own our church building and not support a denomination? Or is it to be able to hire a pastor without qualifications?
Well, let's consider 1 Timothy 3:1-10, which says what qualifies a man just to be considered to be trusted to "take care of the church of God".

Large groups can have the pitfall of trying to fill pulpits, without making sure their candidates meet the qualifications of our Apostle Paul, in 1 Timothy 3:1-10. Plus, independent and nondenominational people also can take shortcuts.

And 1 Timothy 3:1-10 does not list years of Bible study as meaning a person is qualified to care for God's people. But Bible study places can be used to conform pastors to what a certain group claims to believe. They can give much more attention to doctrinal conformity, than to how we become because of being transformed into the image of Jesus.

And how much attention is given to Colossians 3:15? >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

To me, it seems that a number of denominational but also "evangelical" people treat God like He is distant and impersonal. But this scripture to me proves how our Heavenly Father pleases to personally rule every one of us > "in one body" > in His own peace. But ones want to operate in their own free wills, instead of more and more constantly submitting to how our Father rules us in His own peace.

Also > are leaders "examples to the flock" (1 Peter 5:3), including how Jesus gives us "rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-30) while we obey Jesus? Obeying what a denomination wants, or obeying what a nondenominational group dictates, might not have a minister living in Jesus Christ's "rest for your souls."

So . . . what matters is you find mature Christian people who lead you by, and feed you, their example which helps you get more real and deep with and personally submissive to God, and discovering how Jesus has us loving any and all people.

And I'll bet such people mature in the faith won't claim any label, though they can be members of a denomination or a non-denomination.

And my opinion is if we have genuinely qualified leadership, I don't need to spend my time trying to keep track of what they are doing with money. I trust my leaders. God knows who is trustworthy, and our Father is able to make us able to tell the difference, and this won't be by knowing people's claims and labels! :)

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
As an outsider, I see non-denominational churches as either Baptists or Charismatic Baptists. But, why don't they join one of the multitude of Baptist and Pentecostal denominations out there?

Is it a financial issue, in order to own our church building and not support a denomination? Or is it to be able to hire a pastor without qualifications? Or is it to be able to teach weird doctrine?

Forgive me. I just can't understand.

You can't institutionalize a relstionship, and men love their power, influence and dogma.

The Most High God educates His own by the promise of the new covenant - something known about by oral tradition of the Hebrews before men "cannonized" the text. In other words, no church or other entity is needed to build a relationship with the Most High God.

Besides, denominations have their hangups... from racism and imperialism, to homosexuality in order to stay a virgin, to complete genocide justified by the institution of the time. That much change is chaos, not of the Most High God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your experience is rare. I never seen a denomination isolate themselves from learning or helping another denomination. It is pretty common to see them support a common cause, or exchange their gleaning from Scripture.
the Baptist church I went to was like this they believed in separatism from other church's because of doctrinal differences. The Baptist Bride's being one they fervently believed in and believed all church's Baptist or not weren't part of the true church of God that didn't preach this. On the rare occasions they did branch out it was very militaristic if they didnt control the whole thing so the right doctrine could be preached in there eye's it was an embarrassing nightmare.

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the Baptist church I went to was like this they believed in separatism from other church's because of doctrinal differences. The Baptist Bride's being one they fervently believed in and believed all church's Baptist or not weren't part of the true church of God that didn't preach this. On the rare occasions they did branch out it was very militaristic if they didnt control the whole thing so the right doctrine could be preached in there eye's it was an embarrassing nightmare.

A church that isolates people can arguably be called a "Dead Church" -- Not saying everybody is spiritually dead, there are many lively people in dead churches. But the overall purpose of the church is to come together and spread the "Good News". That shouldn't be limited by race, religion, denomination, etc. I saw a video of a chuch-goer praying for an openly declared Atheist in all black, white face paint and big horns. That is what we are called to be and do as Christians. Be Salt and Light.

Anyways, to get on topic, I am non-denominational too. I have been to Catholic, Baptist and Pentecostal churches but the non-denominational church that I eventually become a member of is now my home. The doctrine isn't so strict and I found that the teachings were always scripture bound and could be tied back to scripture which is what I liked.

• Winner
Reactions: Omah1970
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,708.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the overall purpose of the church is to come together and spread the "Good News".
I completely agree. I've come to appreciate the importance of cooperation among believers across church lines. Without this we get the mess we're currently in: duplication of some ministries, elimination of some ministries, and performance of some ministries by well-intentioned people who are otherwise not equipped to do them.
Eph 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

the non-denominational church that I eventually become a member of is now my home. The doctrine isn't so strict
This has been a general trend in many denominational churches, as well. Occasionally, they call themselves "community" churches. Their paradigm is that since doctrine divides, let's not teach doctrine, so we can attract believers of different backgrounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0