victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There would be personal reasons any go to a nondenominational church. I went early in my Christian life, after coming out of the Catholic church of my family that I was in for a few years when growing up, and a start among charismatic believers in fellowship, to nondenominational churches, at first following other believers I knew going to one, as I could not see any one denomination was right, and their differences were just divisive to Christianity. So faith with Christ in one's life and believing the revelation in the Bible were what I saw was important. I went to such churches for a long while, but later in life I tried a Christian church in the area I then moved into that was a Church of Christ then, though they did use instruments unlike Churches of Christ generally now, that church is since just a Christian Church in name. But I was then going to a Baptist church. I thought it was close to being the nondenominational belief as I understood in the teaching from the Bible. But there were differences, with authoritarian structure there, I left and tried going to a fellowship church that I learned then was a Nazarene church. But I went back to another Baptist church, where I stayed, this church, where I still went to until everything including this church closed down with the time of the spreading pandemic, did not stay Baptist in name, and now has a short name without any denominational designation, and there is never mention there now of being Baptist, the last mention was that the church is Baptistic. So in spite of moving toward being in a Baptist church I seem to be in a nondenominational one anyway. Who knows, is it God's moving, or not? I have some reasons to stay, though I can think of differences for which I would leave, but I don't think I will find a better church for me just now.
I to was in the Catholic Church originally and look on myself as "catholic in the original sense of the word. When still in a Catholic church I worked jointly with churches in Christian aid projects and helped introduce "Catholic Family Groups to Anglican Church". When I worked away from home I helped in a evangelical Church with Drama. I have at various times been an active member of a local Church Anglican where I helped run the Alpha Course. And much more over the years.
so I am non denominational because I can go where the Spirit blows.
In love
Jay Sea

Upvote 0

Truthspeaker72362

May 27, 2020
IL
✟12,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am non denominational for the best reason possible: I am aware that all Christian denominations known to the vast majority of the world are flawed, I am aware of what the bible is truly saying whereas most don't today.

To ensure this first post of mine in this thread is efficient for maximum effectiveness at my goal here, I'll just leave you all with one question:

If the bible isn't a book full of verses that all have a symbolic meaning, then why are all the traditional bible interpretations so flawed in there logic about justice?

• Agree
Reactions: Jay Sea
Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am non denominational for the best reason possible: I am aware that all Christian denominations known to the vast majority of the world are flawed, I am aware of what the bible is truly saying whereas most don't today.

To ensure this first post of mine in this thread is efficient for maximum effectiveness at my goal here, I'll just leave you all with one question:

If the bible isn't a book full of verses that all have a symbolic meaning, then why are all the traditional bible interpretations so flawed in there logic about justice?

I agree and wonder
I question why no denomination I know of emphasises the following
1. That trust without action is useless.
2. That Change of heart or mind is needed not mere repentance.
3. That we are to love our enemies.
4. That we are to be prepared to die as Yeshua did for love of mankind.
5. that we do not kill or torture or starve our brothers of any race or creed.

in love
Jay

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm non-denominational because the pastor of the Southern Baptist church I was attending talked more about Trump (aka The Orange Monster) than he did Jesus. I follow my heart because that's where you'll find truth, not from some far right pandering mouthpiece posing as an evangelical pastor.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an outsider, I see non-denominational churches as either Baptists or Charismatic Baptists. But, why don't they join one of the multitude of Baptist and Pentecostal denominations out there?

Is it a financial issue, in order to own our church building and not support a denomination? Or is it to be able to hire a pastor without qualifications? Or is it to be able to teach weird doctrine?

Forgive me. I just can't understand.
Many people are non-denominational because they may be tired of the division in the church. In all actuality, non-denominational is really multi-denominational because rather than dividing the church on things we disagree with, we are unified by the things we do agree with.

• Friendly
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In all actuality, non-denominational is really multi-denominational because rather than dividing the church on things we disagree with, we are unified by the things we do agree with.
What is your feeling about the frequently-heard observation made by other Christians that each non-denominational congregation in effect adds one more denomination to the proliferation, albeit a small one? ;)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Oompa Loompa
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But each non-denominational congregation in effect adds one more denomination to the proliferation, albeit a small one. ;)
Perhaps. But I would argue that non-denominational is the same denomination as the apostles. Even the first century church didn't have denominations and experienced the same issues we find today. They were both theologically diverse and unified under Christ at the same time.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Understood. But I was asking about your statement that "Many people are non-denominational because they may be tired of the division in the church."
The irony...am I right? But do you agree that there is a difference between division and diversity?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The irony...am I right? But do you agree that there is a difference between division and diversity?
When it comes to an entity that is supposed to be of "one accord," and places the weight of God's own word behind it, I am inclined to say "no."

If, however, we were talking about a political party or a social club, etc. I would probably take a different view.

But in the end, it would also matter what was meant by "diversity." We know how that word has come in our own times to mean all sorts of different things, depending on the preference of the speaker.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to an entity that is supposed to be of "one accord," and places the weight of God's own word behind it, I am inclined to say "no."

If, however, we were talking about a political party or a social club, etc. I would probably take a different view.

But in the end, it would also matter what was meant by "diversity." We know how that word has come in our own times to mean all sorts of different things, depending on the preference of the speaker.
That is an understandable position. Which is why many prefer to stay in a denomination. But if you remember from church history, the first century church was theologically all over the place. Grave heresies began to pop up It wasn't until the first ecumenical councils did the church begin to fall in under a single banner. So to be fair, I do see the need for the church to be unified under a creed. Otherwise, the word "Christian" becomes meaningless if there is no standard which defines what is or isn't "Christian".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is an understandable position. Which is why many prefer to stay in a denomination. But if you remember from church history, the first century church was theologically all over the place.
Yes and no. Many of the fringe groups, although technically Christian, were considered outsiders by the main body of Christians who were united in polity and worship practices, etc. even if there were many doctrinal matters that were as yet undecided.

"Grave heresies began to pop up It wasn't until the first ecumenical councils did the church begin to fall in under a single banner. So to be fair, I do see the need for the church to be unified under a creed.
Okay. Personally, I do not know a single nondenominational congregation in my area that includes the Nicene Creed in its statement of beliefs. For that matter, most require or state hardly any other than the obvious few about Christ as Savior, that He will return, the primacy of the Bible, and maybe something about Baptism. But I don't know how typical that is.

Otherwise, the word "Christian" becomes meaningless if there is no standard which defines what is or isn't "Christian".
Yes, I'd agree.

By the way, I am enjoying this exchange and your insights. Most of the discussions on CF are heavily denominational, you know.

But if someone thinks I am an outsider who is posting against the beliefs of non-denominational Christians, which is not how I see our discussion, I will certainly withdraw and delete my posts.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and no. Many of the fringe groups, although technically Christian, were considered outsiders by the main body of Christians who were united in polity and worship practices, etc. even if there were many doctrinal matters that were as yet undecided.

Okay. Personally, I do not know a single nondenominational congregation in my area that includes the Nicene Creed in its statement of beliefs. For that matter, most require or state hardly any other than the obvious few about Christ as Savior, that He will return, the primacy of the Bible, and maybe something about Baptism. But I don't know how typical that is.

Yes, I'd agree.

By the way, I am enjoying this exchange and your insights. Most of the discussions on CF are heavily denominational, you know.

But if someone thinks I am an outsider who is posting against the beliefs of non-denominational Christians, which is not how I see our discussion, I will certainly withdraw and delete my posts.
I am enjoying the conversation too. It is one of the nice things about a non-denominational church. It is okay to have theological disagreements (within reason). True, you will not find the nicine creed being recited at most non-denominational churches. But you will usually find a paraphrased version of it in the "statement of faith" or "what we believe" sections in their website.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am enjoying the conversation too. It is one of the nice things about a non-denominational church. It is okay to have theological disagreements (within reason). True, you will not find the nicine creed being recited at most non-denominational churches. But you will usually find a paraphrased version of it in the "statement of faith" or "what we believe" sections in their website.
Just looking at some of these websites which detail the church's stances, the doctrines are few. The Creed, as you remember, includes a long list of beliefs that are confessed by anyone reciting it (which in some churches in done every week).

However, I know of some non-denominational congregations that affirm the Apostles' Creed, which, although briefer, does cover much of the same ground. And it's an older creed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Denomination is division. At the heart of it, we should be Christians.

Speaking for myself, I grew up in a Baptist church and I stopped going after I realized certain doctrines were not biblical. (Not the thread to go into that)

Let's just say, a person can go to church for years and come away only learning "salvation issues, etc and never move past the milk of God's word into the meat. Something that Paul has taught we need to do. God has an overall plan and we need to go into the Word to see what that is. It's great to have worship and fellowship -but many people go to church one day a week and might only have been fed a few verses proceeded by an hour long sermon having nothing to do with the meat of God's word. Hopefully they are going home and studying on their own. But many do not, trusting their churches to feed them accordingly. And as someone said earlier in this thread, are we going to trust our eternal soul to a church?

Churches should be reading from God's word, chapter by chapter and verse by verse.

I learned more on my own in 6 months (this was almost 20 years ago) than years in the church. No offense to anyone. God gave us a letter and it's our responsiblity to study for ourselves to show ourselves approved. And that includes lining up with what is taught to us to the bible. Paul was trying to stop divisions when he taught. He was trying to bring it back to Christ.

No offense to churches out there that teach the bible, chapter by chapter and verse by verse. They are out there but it seems they are few and far between these days.

Amos said the famine for the end times would be hearing the Word of God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jay Sea

Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Demonination is division. At the heart of it, we should be Christians.

Speaking for myself, I grew up in a Baptist church and I stopped going after I realized certain doctrines were not biblical. (Not the thread to go into that)

Let's just say, a person can go to church for years and come away only learning "salvation issues, etc and never move past the milk of God's word into the meat. Something that Paul has taught we need to do. God has an overall plan and we need to go into the Word to see what that is. It's great to have worship and fellowship -but many people go to church one day a week and might only have been fed a few verses proceeded by an hour long sermon having nothing to do with the meat of God's word. Hopefully they are going home and studying on their own. But many do not, trusting their churches to feed them accordingly. And as someone said earlier in this thread, are we going to trust our eternal soul to a church?

Churches should be reading from God's word, chapter by chapter and verse by verse.

I learned more on my own in 6 months (this was almost 20 years ago) than years in the church. No offense to anyone. God gave us a letter and it's our responsiblity to study for ourselves to show ourselves approved. And that includes lining up with what is taught to us to the bible. Paul was trying to stop divisions when he taught. He was trying to bring it back to Christ.

No offense to churches out there that teach the bible, chapter by chapter and verse by verse. They are out there but it seems they are few and far between these days.

Amos said the famine for the end times would be hearing the Word of God.
I agree whole heartedly. I reread James recently and was struck by the relationship between trust (faith) and works. There seems to be an over emphasis on only believing (faith) and not on doing the work we need to do to serve this world as Yeshua did. He did it as a teacher and healer we need to do it with the blessings we have been given as engineers, doctors parents , teenagers etc not as lone wolves but together, though some my need to strike out first and hopefully bring other along, as no one person has all the gifts.

in Love
Jay

• Agree
Reactions: JulieB67
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
y. I reread James recently and was struck by the relationship between trust (faith) and works. There seems to be an over emphasis on only believing (faith) and not on doing the work we need to do to serve this world as Yeshua did.

I agree. Everytime I try to bring up works on the forums, I get accused of someone who is trying to work my way to heaven. And that isn't it at all. I think after we have that true repentance, that true change of heart, faith and works go hand hand in hand. If you truly have faith, the works will come naturally -because we want to do them, not because we have to do them for salvation purposes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As an outsider, I see non-denominational churches as either Baptists or Charismatic Baptists. But, why don't they join one of the multitude of Baptist and Pentecostal denominations out there?

Is it a financial issue, in order to own our church building and not support a denomination? Or is it to be able to hire a pastor without qualifications? Or is it to be able to teach weird doctrine?

Forgive me. I just can't understand.

I'm not affiliated to any man made Church, only the Church of the Body Of Christ. As for paper qualifications, that has never proven anything to me. You can have all the qualifications in the world doesn't make you a good Christian. Some qualified theologians have caused huge amounts of damage in different church organizations. If you are not in the Spirit how can you truly know what GOD wants.

All the various doctrines I've come across do not bring honour and glory to GOD but cause divisions in the body of Christ. This cannot be the Holy Spirit at work because it contradicts all that the Spirit is and purpose.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus, by agency of the Holy Spirit, has a unique relationship with each of us...each relationship is different than another.

Mine is no exception to this rule.

But we are also told to join in with others for prayer, for encouraging, exhorting, and preaching.

I am the head of my household... responsible for those inside. So we go to a church where I feel that the family is most comfortable and can make lasting friendships. But...
I am the denomination of my family. No matter what is taught at the church...I am the denomination...not by decree or bossing around or shouting down dissent, but by leadership and careful examination of the scriptures.

Now we happen to attend a Baptist Church but we are not really Baptists. But we barely fit on the rim of the pail of orthodoxy in a Baptist Church....kinda falling outside of it too.
I try not to have a formal leadership role in the church...my relationships with those who attend create an informal leadership role. So I get the blessings of doing those tasks... completely unassigned by a formal structure but still commanded by God.

And sometimes we get to do stuff together with friends from church like help out widows with landscaping or something. We are a powerful force when we wish to be.
Lawyers, Dentists, Doctors, Financial Advisor, Electronics gurus, software engineer and etc...
Not really sure what we can't do together.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not affiliated to any man made Church, only the Church of the Body Of Christ. As for paper qualifications, that has never proven anything to me. You can have all the qualifications in the world doesn't make you a good Christian. Some qualified theologians have caused huge amounts of damage in different church organizations. If you are not in the Spirit how can you truly know what GOD wants.

All the various doctrines I've come across do not bring honour and glory to GOD but cause divisions in the body of Christ. This cannot be the Holy Spirit at work because it contradicts all that the Spirit is and purpose.
We are all "Christs" anointed by the breath of G-d to do His work as Yeshua did no doctrine just a simple task to bring our service, love and compassion to this world even to our so called enemies even to the so called "Satan" if we were to meet him in someone.
In LOve
Jay Sea

Upvote 0