Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus accepted that someone who was not of his group was healing in his name.

Excellent point. It's also notable that Jesus made this comment in response to his disciples complaining that the guy wasn't part of their group.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
For clarity I decided to post the verse being referenced.

Luke 9:
49 “Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.”
50 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

• Useful
Reactions: John Helpher
Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the reference. I'm not great on remembering where things are said in the bible. Reading back on earlier parts of this thread I would add that in perhaps not exact words but here goes 'Wherever two or three are gathered in my name there am I.' So church is where you find it, or make it. Fellowship without borders. Jesus held "church" if you like in the local meeting places. perhaps the equivalent of the pub. He went where the ordinary people were those who needed "the doctor" to listen, understand and gently teach without condemnation to bring them slowly to be able to genuinely follow: not through persuasion or argument but by love and understanding. This is CHURCH. We ordinary folks are to do His work to be examples as best we can not trying to be perfect but putting one foot after the other along "THE WAY".
in love
Jay

• Winner
Reactions: John Helpher
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Denominations are a tragic example of "groupthink". All Christians are children of God; there is no place for people who agree with each other and nobody else.

1 Corinthians 1:10-13:
"I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?"

Unfortunately that kind of thinking still exists today. 8^)

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Orginal question, "Why am I non-denominational?" I come to Church for two purposes, to worship God and the fellowship. I was taught as a child the Seventh Day Adventist was the only true denomination, however my family lived an almost pagan lifestyle. The Adventist schools screwed my mind up to the point I rejected Christianity, finally became a Buddhist and eventually found that more problematic than Christianity.
I went through some horrid experiences that brought me to the verge of suicide. I finally had a come to Jesus experience that cleared my mind, guilt, and anger. Was led to Christ through a Pentecostal brother, one of my closest friends was a Baptist, I began attending church with him but the more I seen in that denomination is seemed more like a social club than anything else, started going to a Pentecostal church, and I happened to pick one that was extreme to say the least, didn't stay long.
Visited a non denominational charismatic church (well grounded) and had an encounter with the Holy Spirit and I knew then that's where God wanted me.
I said all that to say, I believe God will lead us to where we need to be to learn or experience what we need to.
Personally I believe if a person is born again they are a brother or sister in Christ and where they choose to worship is between them and God, not me.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As an outsider, I see non-denominational churches as either Baptists or Charismatic Baptists. But, why don't they join one of the multitude of Baptist and Pentecostal denominations out there?

Is it a financial issue, in order to own our church building and not support a denomination? Or is it to be able to hire a pastor without qualifications? Or is it to be able to teach weird doctrine?

Forgive me. I just can't understand.
If there were a choice of "denominations" in the NT - I suppose I'd have to make some sort of choice.
Since there aren't, I can't.

There are some 33,000+ denominations out there right now. Which one(s) is/are "right?"
And it's more than just a matter of right/wrong - or even personality or preference.

At the heart of the issue is UNITY. Paul addressed this very issue in I Cor 1:11ff -
For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.” Has Christ been divided?
Note the first "denominations" in the NT - the "Pauls," the "Apollos'," the "Cephas'," and the "Christ's."

This was Jesus' prayer for us (John 17:20f):
“I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.
Jesus prayed for our UNITY, and a key part of His reason for praying thus was that in our UNITY, the world would thereby come to believe in Him.

33,000+ denominations - and we have YET to bring the gospel to the entire world... one can only wonder what our impact would be if there were but ONE "denomination" of His church in the world...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are some 33,000+ denominations out there right now. Which one(s) is/are "right?"
And it's more than just a matter of right/wrong - or even personality or preference.
At the heart of the issue is UNITY. Paul addressed this very issue in I Cor 1:11ff

So how does having 33,001 (counting the person who remains apart from all of them because he opposes disunity)...

make for more unity?

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So how does having 33,001 (counting the person who remains apart from all of them because he opposes disunity)...

make for more unity?
It doesn't.
What do you think, that I was somehow stumping for 33,001 denominations??
The thread's point is why are you NON-denominational. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't.
What do you think, that I was somehow stumping for 33,001 denominations??
No, I was saying that many people insist that they are not going to be part of any denomination themselves because they value Christian unity: but by 'going it alone,' they are making themselves be, in effect, one more denomination. It's ironic. You see what I mean.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most nondenominational adherents oppose the additions to biblical teachings. They don’t want the creeds, theology, rituals, or ‘rightness’ some present.

They accepted Christ and that’s enough.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most nondenominational adherents oppose the additions to biblical teachings. They don’t want the creeds, theology, rituals, or ‘rightness’ some present.

~Bella

True and excellent post! Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I would think, then, that they would join one of the denominations that doesn't require that. .

The "problem" they face in choosing is hardly any different from that faced by other believers who decide on one denomination rather than another.

I can appreciate the idea of non-denominationalism. But there is no denying that if Christian unity is to be advanced, both non-denominational congregations and people who refuse to participate with any congregation are, by definition, adding to the problem, not working against it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would think, then, that they would join one of the denominations that doesn't require that.

You’ve answered your question in that statement. “I would think”... But you aren’t me or anyone else. Your perspective is personal and in line with your beliefs, maturity, and experiences.

The "problem" they face in choosing is hardly any different from that faced by other believers who decide on one denomination rather than another.

No is a choice. You feel differently.

I can appreciate the idea of non-denominationalism. But there is no denying that if Christian unity is to be advanced, both non-denominational congregations and people who refuse to participate with any congregation are, by definition, adding to the problem, not working against it.

There is a difference between oneness and going to church. Our allegiance is with God. Not institutions. We aren’t responsible for the decline or required to fill in the gap. Each person must work out his own salvation. We have chosen our path. It is settled.

~Bella

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I was saying that many people insist that they are not going to be part of any denomination themselves because they value Christian unity: but by 'going it alone,' they are making themselves be, in effect, one more denomination. It's ironic. You see what I mean.
Ah... I do. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You’ve answered your question in that statement. “I would think”... But you aren’t me or anyone else. Your perspective is personal and in line with your beliefs, maturity, and experiences.
I don't think that's fair to say. Yes, my view about the paradox we have here of being all in favor of Christian unity but splitting oneself off from the rest of the Christian community at the same time, is a personal one. I tried to make that clear. Yes, that is my view for what it's worth.

However, I am not seeing any explanation as to why I might be mistaken when saying what I did about the "30,000 denominations" comment which was, like it or not, important to the post I answered. Anyone who disagrees with my thinking there is not only free to answer back but I would actually appreciate having that perspective explained to me.

There is a difference between oneness and going to church. Our allegiance is with God. Not institutions. We aren’t responsible for the decline or required to fill in the gap.

That much I understand.

However
, the point was made earlier that there are 30,000 different denominations, and that that is wrong or counterproductive or something like that, etc. etc.

To say such a thing as that is not what you just offered as your own explanation ("Our allegiance is with God. Not institutions.")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
To say such a thing as that is not what you just offered as your own explanation ("Our allegiance is with God. Not institutions.")

The ‘our’ in my statement is referencing the nondenominational perspective.

My personal opinion on the ever growing denominations is immaterial. I don’t have the liberty of evoking choice while discouraging others from doing the same.

~Bella

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

~Bella
That may be true of some, but not all. With most nondenominational churches they have a church board that creates their statement of faith, some are charismatic and others are more formal. What I find interesting is when you find a spirit filled church with good leadership, you find a vibrant church where the membership is on fire and not just going through the motions.
Let's face it, most of us our become attached to whatever church we go to, we view other members as brother and sisters in Christ, or however you with to identify your church members. You become a family with Christ as the head and led by the Holy Spirit. If one has found that, that's were God wants them no matter what shingle they hang on the church doors.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
that's were God wants them no matter what shingle they hang on the church doors.

That’s the crux of the discussion. What God desires. Not man’s interpretation of what it means for you and I. Some can’t see beyond their reality to recognize it might entail a different course (than the one they’re on) for someone else.

~Bella

Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There would be personal reasons any go to a nondenominational church. I went early in my Christian life, after coming out of the Catholic church of my family that I was in for a few years when growing up, and a start among charismatic believers in fellowship, to nondenominational churches, at first following other believers I knew going to one, as I could not see any one denomination was right, and their differences were just divisive to Christianity. So faith with Christ in one's life and believing the revelation in the Bible were what I saw was important. I went to such churches for a long while, but later in life I tried a Christian church in the area I then moved into that was a Church of Christ then, though they did use instruments unlike Churches of Christ generally now, that church is since just a Christian Church in name. But I was then going to a Baptist church. I thought it was close to being the nondenominational belief as I understood in the teaching from the Bible. But there were differences, with authoritarian structure there, I left and tried going to a fellowship church that I learned then was a Nazarene church. But I went back to another Baptist church, where I stayed, this church, where I still went to until everything including this church closed down with the time of the spreading pandemic, did not stay Baptist in name, and now has a short name without any denominational designation, and there is never mention there now of being Baptist, the last mention was that the church is Baptistic. So in spite of moving toward being in a Baptist church I seem to be in a nondenominational one anyway. Who knows, is it God's moving, or not? I have some reasons to stay, though I can think of differences for which I would leave, but I don't think I will find a better church for me just now.

• Winner
Reactions: Jay Sea
Upvote 0