Why Are We Divided and Can We Fix It (With the Holy Ghost)?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"I believe that there will be one fold in the afterlife. I also believe that there will be many surprised people to find a variety in heaven!"

After all is done on earth, definitely one fold in heaven, no doubt there.

Seems to me, although the seven church messages applied to the experiences of the specific churches they were written to in their day, they are also prophetic of the experiences of the Church through the centuries. Each of the letters also contains admonishments appropriate to God's people in every age.

Regarding to John 10:16

Since we have a personal relationship with Jesus I also believe there will be saved people there that never attended or rarely attended, "organized church" on earth. His people are all over the earth. Yeah I would agree it's going to be a surprise for sure not only who is there, but who is not there. Regardless "they shall hear my voice" and Amen to that.

Thanks... This is almost like Matthew 24 in which we have a two fold meaning...

1. The destruction of the first temple
2. The return of Christ for his church

In which... I will listen to each interpretation of prophecies and see how they fit....

Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old. - Matthew 13:52

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I do not believe there is such a thing as non denominational. Every person claiming to be a christian has doctrine that they believe and that doctrine will fall into one denomination or another.

So where do non denominational people go to worship the LORD as a corporate body, a denominational church?

I say! A mind can go a million places! And all kinds of doctrine can become of it!

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. - 2 Peter 3:15-16

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sin separates us, distorts the truth and so there is no perfect church denomination. Jesus rebuked four out of seven in Revelation, revealing their faults and telling them to repent or else. That was only sixty years after His death, 1st century Christians. Wouldn' t you expect the church to further branch out after almost 2000 years?
Fear not, God is sovereign and factors all our faults and blunders into his overall plan for the BODY OF CHRIST, which is ONE. Many of the different names are just that, but are teaching the Word. The Holy Spirit teaches us the way we should go - and the other stuff, He takes care of. When you think of it, every individual is different and does not have 100% understanding, knowledge or believes as everyone else in the congregation. So there you have it, 2.3+ billion different cells that make up the body each performing different tasks prepared by God to do His will completely. God is right on track, every person is accounted for to date and His plan going forth accurately. The end is near ... and not everyone is aware of that either ... oops, I'm different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TaiKamiya720

Apr 4, 2016
South Florida Metro area
✟19,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Protestants were not the only ones to reject tradition....

1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. - Matthew 15
But there is difference between the tradition of men and the tradition of God. The Pharisees were being hypocrites because they have twisted God's laws to fit their own. An example of a tradition of men would be the prosperity gospel. Doesn't 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17 say to stand fast in the Tradition in the things that the Church teaches?

Upvote 0

TaiKamiya720

Apr 4, 2016
South Florida Metro area
✟19,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe that the Orthodox Church has kept the fullness of the Christian faith. However, I see different divisions and disagreements among Protestants over doctrine as like having different theories on things that are hard to understand for them, like free will or gifts of the spirit, just like how scientists disagree among theories of space travel, like FTL. But in the end, they all believe in some essential Christian doctrines, like faith alone and the Triune Godhead, though some factions might call each other heretics.
What really matters is this; regardless, whether your Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, Evangelical, Non-denominational, Baptist, Pentecostal, Holiness, SDA, Methodist, Presbyterian, Calvinist, etc., what really matters is knowing the ESSENTIAL doctrines of God and trusting in Jesus. Which means to have faith in Christ and keep His commandments.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a very serious question I have concerning denominations. Denominations are NOT scriptural. Schisms and differing doctrines (from the one given by the Apostles in their teachings and letters) are to be avoided. How did we get to have over 3000 denominations? How could we fix this? Do people want to fix this? Could a full on ALL Christians ecumenical council occur to join us at least almost fully together? Is this idea of One Church and One Faith a pipe dream until He returns?
Persecution among Christians (some of which we read about in the Nt of the bible) is what really started this. Then as we know the "church" was formed sometime later to try and minimize this persecution by introducing a sort of doctrine that the government can work with....later we have the protestant reformation and from then on certain denominations pop up upon revelations they receive through scripture such as methodist, baptist, etc.

If narrow really is the way though I doubt there will ever be some unified church but yeah. I didn't go into all the details with this reply just summarized it briefly.

Upvote 0

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a very serious question I have concerning denominations. Denominations are NOT scriptural. Schisms and differing doctrines (from the one given by the Apostles in their teachings and letters) are to be avoided. How did we get to have over 3000 denominations? How could we fix this? Do people want to fix this? Could a full on ALL Christians ecumenical council occur to join us at least almost fully together? Is this idea of One Church and One Faith a pipe dream until He returns?

I believe if you will research the reformation and men like Luther,Calvin,Spurgeon,MoodyJohn Wycliff,Tyndale
Coverdal J Knox Polycarp,Irenaeus,Ignatius.I believe you will see the modern day Church Now some believe the Bible is to be interpreted by the Church Leader or Leaders according to where you attend.Some believe the Bible interprets itself i believe the latter.The Bible also gives Revelation in future time we now have Weapons of mass destruction Adam is in a Garden with Eve then Noah,Christ comes his death burial and
Resurrection according to the Scriptures.We have beliefs in the Rapture pretrib posttrib midtrib the different thoughts on the third temple the millennial reign of Christ does GOD still are there Tongues have they ceased have the gifts of the Spirit in 1st Cor 12 ceased.I have been healed a miracle of GOD.Lots of people
will disbelieve me and thats ok
2 Timothy 2:15King James Version (KJV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
I think brother Ron mentioned this in a different post ( The Nicene Creed) there is also the Apostles Creed
you see a lot of arguments like pre trib post trib the millenial reign of Christ we dont know how exactly
and yes i have my own views of these i have not studied them in awhile please read the Nicene Creed
this is our unity i believe I love to wrestle with the Scriptures and get as much truth out of them as possible.

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

2 And if I have [the gift of] prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

3 And if I bestow all my goods to feed [the poor], and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Love suffereth long, [and] is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not its own, is not provoked, taketh not account of evil; 6 rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth; 7 beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Love never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall be done away; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall be done away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part; 10 but when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things.

12 For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully even as also I was fully known.

13 But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

Trust Jesus

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe there is such a thing as non denominational. Every person claiming to be a christian has doctrine that they believe and that doctrine will fall into one denomination or another.

So where do non denominational people go to worship the LORD as a corporate body, a denominational church?

Study the Bible yourself, start with the things you consider most important. Search them out deeply. Actually the Bible teaches we (the people) are to search the scriptures daily in an effort to make sure that those that are "teaching" are in harmony with Gods word ... or we might be led astray. If you are going to compare church teachings (doctrines) then the one that teaches what Jesus originally taught with his disiples is going to be the right one.

It is a personal responsibility we have to study ourselves.

I don't go to church, I study the Bible.

Going to "church" doesn't save you. All have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Pray every time you open God's word for the Holy Spirit to guide you in truth. Pray to receive the gift of discernment.

Discernment - The gift of Discernment is the divine enablement to distinguish between truth and error. It is able to discern the spirits, differentiating between good and evil, right and wrong.

You will learn really amazing things, little by little. Listen to the small still voice.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Study the Bible yourself, start with the things you consider most important. Search them out deeply. Actually the Bible teaches we (the people) are to search the scriptures daily in an effort to make sure that those that are "teaching" are in harmony with Gods word ... or we might be led astray. If you are going to compare church teachings (doctrines) then the one that teaches what Jesus originally taught with his disiples is going to be the right one.

Going to "church" doesn't save you. All have a personal relationship with Jesus.

Pray every time you open God's word for the Holy Spirit to guide you in truth. Pray to receive the gift of discernment.

Discernment - The gift of Discernment is the divine enablement to distinguish between truth and error. It is able to discern the spirits, differentiating between good and evil, right and wrong.

You will learn really amazing things, little by little. Listen to the small still voice.

God Bless

Jesus Christ, our living example, went to church as a regular practice. Luke 4:16 says, "He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom." (NIV)

It was Jesus' custom—his regular practice—to go to church. The Message Bible puts it like this, "As he always did on the Sabbath, he went to the meeting place." If Jesus made it a priority to meet together with other believers, shouldn't we, as his followers, do so also?

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God Bless
forsake not the assembling. Implies that you are out of fellowship. That still small voice is quite loud in your mind, I would imagine, on this topic, as it is at the forefront of your "personal responsibility. Where two or three are gathered in his name.... so if you are alone all the time with the bible.... point being, you're missing something by not going, wherever you go (or not go).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
How did we get to have over 3000 denominations?
There is only one truth; and that is the sum of all of Yahweh's truth. Each time there is a division; it is another deviation from Yahweh's truth. When two disagree on the truth, either one is wrong; both are wrong; or one, or both, perceive only part of the truth of issue in question.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 5:19-20 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

James 4:1-2 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Jude 1:14-16 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

Galatians 5:19-20 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

James 3:1-2 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

James 3:14-16 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

1 Corinthians 11:19-21 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

Jude 1:12 These men are the hidden reefs in your love feasts, shamelessly feasting with you but shepherding only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried along by the wind; fruitless trees in autumn, twice dead after being uprooted.

We think we are teachers, we think we are prophets. We even thin we know it all. That is because the three temptations of which we are tempted, materialism, masochism, and egoism; we have succumbed to one if not all. There are divisions because we in some ways want to save souls, but only for our own glory and treasures as we are jealous buttheads, only looking out for ourselves, and as such revealing that we truly do not have Christ in our hearts. True believers save souls for the other's sake. More importantly, to glorify the Lord. The Lord said strait is the gate, and narrow is the path that leadeth to life and few there be that find it. Seeing as how Wormwood in Revelation is a star, spiritually in fact is a church/doctrine consisting of a third of the world's population, and Christianity comprises 33% as of right now, there truly will be a lot of people thinking that they're okay, when in fact they are not, and THEY KNOW IT. But continue to lie to themselves and continue and carry on, because they are of their father the devil. They feel remorse, but not meet for repentance. They continue on, some even going to church, tithing, praising God, but lack the Holy Spirit. When Jesus comes, He will say depart from me ye workers of iniquity I never knew you. The real church worships God in spirit and in truth. The Spirit is the thing missing that everyone pretends they have. Many denominations attempt to be authoritative in matters such as these, conjuring up ways to define the spirit or what it means to be saved, adding text or taking away, inserting commentaries and catechisms and theses and traditions of men, even blatant lies, in place of the Words of the Living God. I've walked in the darkness, and after listening for the voice in a great earthquake, a fire, and mighty wind; a still small voice in that cave purged me of my sins, and called me back to what eternal life is and who is the author and finisher of the faith. Our temple is not built with hands, our savior did not come by works of a woman of faith, but solely by the grace of God. The breathed out Word God as Scripture itself came by holy men moved by the Holy Spirit, not by so called teachers or false holy men twisting the holy scriptures to suit their jealous envying covetous hearts. The Spirit is not displayed for show, but is humble and does not boast for it is love and of God. The soldier of God does not kill, but is indeed killed all the days of his life. The Lord goes before us and by faith, we need not lift our hands to seek our brother's life, for the Word of God is able to withstand any earthly weapon and tabernacle. The gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. Most assuredly, those in Christ do not seek death, but neither do we fear it. In that day our souls shall be with the Lord. But the notion of death makes the world tremble. Fear God. Love him with your heart, body, and soul. The way to the Father is through Christ Jesus. No other way. Read your bible, step over your own selfish pride and go to church to encourage others, take care of widows, orphans, and those who need the Word of God.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
We are to judge so that we know who we are talking to. So that we don't cast pearls before swine, cast bread to dogs, but judge not another too harshly, as you once were walking the same path. In this line of thought, we are compassionate and more apt to lead someone to the Lord and do according to his will.

1 Corinthians 12:12-27King James Version (KJV)

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many.

15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?

20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.

21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.

25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

God Bless

Why did the Apostles go around establishing communities? Communities that seemed interested in each other's affairs, to the point where Paul was collecting from various Churches for the sake of the Church at Jerusalem?

Seems to me that since Christ kept the 12 together and prayed for them to remain together, their communion was non unessential to his Gospel. If that is true of the Apostles why is it not true of modern Christendom?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not in the position to call anyone a heretic however there can only be one truth unless God has multiple personality disorder. How, for instance can a Calvinist be right and an Arminian? I don't have the answers I know I don't. I have hardly even brushed the surface of theological thought. But I want to worship God and lead people to Jesus and what He actually taught. My apologies if this is offensive.

Of someone is a Christian he would want to worship God and lead people to Jesus and what He actually taught. So do we listen to men or the Holy Spirit?

Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Why did the Apostles go around establishing communities? Communities that seemed interested in each other's affairs, to the point where Paul was collecting from various Churches for the sake of the Church at Jerusalem?

Seems to me that since Christ kept the 12 together and prayed for them to remain together, their communion was non unessential to his Gospel. If that is true of the Apostles why is it not true of modern Christendom?

Christendom is what? A collection of many churches led by men. Christians are the body of Christ.

John 10
27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30I and my Father are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grandliseur

Nov 15, 2017
Naha
✟10,561.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this idea of One Church and One Faith a pipe dream until He returns?
Not only is it a pipe dream, it is also counter indicated in the teachings found in Matthew chapter 24 telling us about the last days.

There are a great many things that we cannot agree on. Some of these things are because churches stick to their guns (dogma) and because not everyone interprets things the same way, perhaps due to upbringing, church exposure, etc.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christendom is what? A collection of many churches led by men. Christians are the body of Christ.

John 10
27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30I and my Father are one.

Would you say that to Saint Paul or Peter if you were a Christian in the first century? "Your authority Paul/Peter is nothing. I have Christ and therefore I don't have to listen to you or what you want me to do. Stop letting me listen to you and let them submit to Christ alone!"

Since when did having pastoral leaders constitute denying Christ's supremacy over the Christian?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His question is not a carnal one, it's a wise a perceptive one. You yourself said denominations are merely franchises, exactly, they are. To adhere to a franchise, and not God's word is carnal, but the OP's question is far from carnal.
Biblically "carnal" and "natural" are synonyms, although we tend to think of carnal as more sinful than natural. Pride is carnal, and many denominations - both in leadership and in congregations - take pride in their doctrines, as though their doctrine is the only right doctrine. Doctrines, however, are of the soul, not the spirit. Sound doctrines are not of the mind, but of life; that is, they produce healthy living. Doctrines of water baptism, communion, eschatology, and such do not produce life, only schisms.

I spent 20 years in various denominations and now have nothing to do with them. My fellowship is with saints that the Lord brings into my life. Unless the Lord build the house, those that labor, labor in vain. Someone once said that people in congregations who are not there by the leading of the Spirit are simply a pile of bricks, not a built wall.

All that being said, there is also a flip side. God is infinite and can not be expressed in just one format. We are members of the body of Christ - that is, all who are born again - and differ in purpose. As Paul said, not all are the eye, for where then is the hearing? The OP is looking for unity as homogeneity, which can not be since we are all made for different purposes, which is why I said the unity is in the Spirit, not the format. In the Spirit we can appreciate our differences knowing that we all have a purpose and function that God is fulfilling and your purpose is not the same as mine. In the Spirit we do not judge one another since who are we to judge another man's (God's) servant? But the carnal mind tends to think that my way is the only way therefore you are wrong - NOT! This is why I said the OP is carnal and natural minded.

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Biblically "carnal" and "natural" are synonyms, although we tend to think of carnal as more sinful than natural. Pride is carnal, and many denominations - both in leadership and in congregations - take pride in their doctrines, as though their doctrine is the only right doctrine. Doctrines, however, are of the soul, not the spirit. Sound doctrines are not of the mind, but of life; that is, they produce healthy living. Doctrines of water baptism, communion, eschatology, and such do not produce life, only schisms.

I spent 20 years in various denominations and now have nothing to do with them. My fellowship is with saints that the Lord brings into my life. Unless the Lord build the house, those that labor, labor in vain. Someone once said that people in congregations who are not there by the leading of the Spirit are simply a pile of bricks, not a built wall.

All that being said, there is also a flip side. God is infinite and can not be expressed in just one format. We are members of the body of Christ - that is, all who are born again - and differ in purpose. As Paul said, not all are the eye, for where then is the hearing? The OP is looking for unity as homogeneity, which can not be since we are all made for different purposes, which is why I said the unity is in the Spirit, not the format. In the Spirit we can appreciate our differences knowing that we all have a purpose and function that God is fulfilling and your purpose is not the same as mine. In the Spirit we do not judge one another since who are we to judge another man's (God's) servant? But the carnal mind tends to think that my way is the only way therefore you are wrong - NOT! This is why I said the OP is carnal and natural minded.

Which doctrine have I said is mine? If in my studies of scripture I see my church's practices are wrong I'll probably search more for another church. I do have a set of personal beliefs that I can't sway on unless God Himself told me otherwise. I don't want to use this thread to make my thoughts the "right ones". Hence why I haven't pushed my personal beliefs.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The main point I was trying to make is that there are "false teachings" being taught in "churches" and it is each of our responsibility to compare all teachings with scripture to determine if that is occurring and/or where that is occurring. The "true church" is the "church" that Jesus built on himself, His teachings of which the Apostles also taught (Jesus teachings).

Matthew 16:18

"their communion was non unessential to his Gospel"

"their" = the saints and apostles absolutely essential

"Church at Jerusalem"

1 Corinthians 10:1-2

2To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

The "church" = built on Christ Jesus (His church) in many "physical" locations.

God Bless

Upvote 0