Why are there so many attacks on Asian Americans from one specific race?

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
How many people are outraged? What is the character of their outrage? What ages, sex, education, income level, ethnicity, work, etc. do these people have? How does their reaction vary in relation to these qualifiers? And so on. Provide that kind of information, that is typical of any social study, and you no longer have an anecdote. You have something meaningful.
Way too much thinking involved to come up with something meaningful I think. It's easier to point the finger and say "you people are bad."

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Way too much thinking involved to come up with something meaningful I think. It's easier to point the finger and say "you people are bad."
Sadly, that is true. Some people are not very good at thinking.

Maybe it's something in the water. I should start a rumour that the government have been adding a mysterious something to the water since the Eisenhower administration and everyone, except an elite handful who drink imported mineral water, are getting dumber. They've covered it up by making IQ and SATS tests easier. I told you then, just because someone is good at invading Europe doesn't mean you can trust them as President.

• Haha
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Lots of anecdotes, no objective, validated studies. Rather than deploring the violence, whatever its source, one almost feels more inclined to question the underlying motives of the OP.

Yes, especially as all the major Asian-American civil rights groups do not focus on the race of the attackers, but the pervasive anti-Asian discourse in the wider culture that justifies othering Asians as un-American.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, especially as all the major Asian-American civil rights groups do not focus on the race of the attackers, but the pervasive anti-Asian discourse in the wider culture that justifies othering Asians as un-American.

This is correct.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's because they extract the money of the neighborhood without offering any jobs to that same neighborhood. Well, sometimes they hire a black dude to take out the trash and clean the grease traps on the deep fryer. It's disrespectful to take from a community without adding anything to it.

Well, granted alot of that is a stereotype but sometimes it's also true, no doubt. I don't think that's due to racism so much as Confucian values and also cultural/linguistic barriers. Confucian values dictate you help out your own family first with a job. That's not seen as being in opposition to a community or a particular race, but just an example of filial piety.

It's your right but it doesn't make you part of the neighborhood when neither you nor your employees live. You are more like a parasite than an investor in the neighborhood

Seeing Asian business owners as "parasites" is exactly the sort of thing that motivates hate crimes against Asians. And it's ugly and wrong. In the US, people have a right to work and live wherever there is the opportunity to do so, regardless of their race.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A. A lot of workers laying rails across the nation actually were black from the east coast into the Great Plains. All of the rails laid in the South prior to the Civil War were by slaves, and at some point all the major railroads used slave labor.

B. That all you got?

That's where you get the folk song about John Henry. In the West, alot of railway workers were Chinese, but in the East they were Irish and Black.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
By American law and jurisprudence, for instance. As an example, there were never specific laws in the US that relegated Asians to generational slavery. There was never a Supreme Court decision that explicitly stated no Asian had any rights that a white man was obligated to observe.

Plessy v Ferguson did not include Asians.

Asians got a pass in most state anti-miscegenation laws, whereas blacks were explicitly called out in them. The "one drop rule" was never applied to Asians.

We don't have records of white mobs burning down any Chinatowns into the 20th century.

Asian Americans were the only racial group that were ever systematically banned from entering the US.

I think that's an important consideration towards understanding the unique racial animus and prejudice that Asians faced, and still face in some parts.

BTW, it's also not completely true that Asians never faced anti-miscegination laws. White women that married Asians would be considered aliens in some Pacific jurisdictions:

Interracial Marriages among Asian Americans in the U.S. West, 1880-1954

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's your right but it doesn't make you part of the neighborhood when neither you nor your employees live.
How do you know they don’t live in the neighborhood? Often these “mom & pop type stores have the business on the bottom floor and an apartment that they live in on the 2nd floor. But even if they didn't live in the neighborhood, if you own in that neighborhood, you are a part of that neighborhood much more than someone who rents. If things go bad in the neighborhood the owners lose out, so he has a vested interest in the improvement of that neighborhood; the renter will just take his rent money somewhere else. People who own in a neighborhood, are a part of that community.
You are more like a parasite than an investor in the neighborhood
A parasite? Do you even know what a parasite is? If so, please explain how a person who opens a business that provides a needed service for that community; explain how such an action makes one a parasite of the community.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
How do you know they don’t live in the neighborhood? Often these “mom & pop type stores have the business on the bottom floor and an apartment that they live in on the 2nd floor. But even if they didn't live in the neighborhood, if you own in that neighborhood, you are a part of that neighborhood much more than someone who rents. If things go bad in the neighborhood the owners lose out, so he has a vested interest in the improvement of that neighborhood; the renter will just take his rent money somewhere else. People who own in a neighborhood, are a part of that community.

In some parts of the US, Asians couldn't even own a house until relatively recently (late 60's civil rights era). So they had to live in their stores, because there were laws or covenants against selling or renting to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Seeing Asian business owners as "parasites" is exactly the sort of thing that motivates hate crimes against Asians. And it's ugly and wrong. In the US, people have a right to work and live wherever there is the opportunity to do so, regardless of their race.
I already said they do have the right but it doesn't mean they are contributing to the community. They can do what they want but they aren't becoming members of the community, they just get their money and go home.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
A parasite? Do you even know what a parasite is? If so, please explain how a person who opens a business that provides a needed service for that community; explain how such an action makes one a parasite of the community.
A parasite latches on to something and feeds off it. Where I live, they don't live in the neighborhood. None of the people in the corner stores where I live stay in the neighborhood. They just get their money and go home.
They are part of the community if they reside there not if they just sell Newports and hot Cheetos and drive home to the suburbs every night. They have the right to do it but they are sucking money out of the hood and not putting any back in.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I already said they do have the right but it doesn't mean they are contributing to the community. They can do what they want but they aren't becoming members of the community, they just get their money and go home.

That is revolting disgusting mindset.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A parasite latches on to something and feeds off it.
Unlike a parasite, these people provide much needed services and products for the community. Yeah they do it at a cost, but if the people of the community didn’t see the cost as worth it, they would not buy from their store and they would go outta business.
Where I live, they don't live in the neighborhood. None of the people in the corner stores where I live stay in the neighborhood. They just get their money and go home.
It doesn’t matter if they live there or not, they are providing services to the community thus they are not parasites. Your argument failed.
They are part of the community if they reside there not if they just sell Newports and hot Cheetos and drive home to the suburbs every night. They have the right to do it but they are sucking money out of the hood and not putting any back in.
I don’t know your community, what does it have that will attract asian customers? And what are you doing to build and improve the community?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Unlike a parasite, these people provide much needed services and products for the community. Yeah they do it at a cost, but if the people of the community didn’t see the cost as worth it, they would not buy from their store and they would go outta business.
Most in the neighborhood don't have a choice because they need a store within walking distance. They take advantage of that fact and charge higher prices for their stuff. Parasites take from their host and give nothing.
It doesn’t matter if they live there or not, they are providing services to the community thus they are not parasites. Your argument failed.
Yes it does matter because you are steady talking about they are a part of the community when they are not. They just extract money and go on about their business.
I don’t know your community, what does it have that will attract asian customers? And what are you doing to build and improve the community?
You don't even care about the trials your people face or that they are being exploited. I have worked in the YMCA, the public school system, the park board, Junior Achievement, Sunday school, and my local community college trying to reach young people. I do my part and I have helped many youngsters open their eyes. I see the challenges they face and many don't make it. You can't help everybody but you can do your part for your people.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The issue I have is one that's been related to me by a couple of black entrepreneurs who have tried getting into ground-level businesses in black areas.

One guy, a former graffiti tagger, did imaginative original tee-shirts similar to what he had former done on walls. He had a local print shop that would transfer his designs to shirts. But he told me that within a month after his designs hit the street, Chinese vendors had copied them and were having them made in China for a fraction of the price he could get them.

A black cosmetic dealer I spoke to had a similar complaint: There was no way she could get cosmetics wholesale for the price her Chinese competitors got them from China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Most in the neighborhood don't have a choice because they need a store within walking distance.
They do have a choice; it’s not like everyone would starve to death if the store was not there, they could go out of their way to buy where ever they would buy if the store was not there. You act as if the neighborhood would be better off without them, yet your words prove them to be a necessary addition to the neighborhood.
They take advantage of that fact and charge higher prices for their stuff. Parasites take from their host and give nothing.
This time you’ve proven your own parasite claim to be wrong because according to you, they provide goods and services in your neighborhood; a place where nobody else is willing to. You call them parasites, but when you describe what they do, they sound more like heroes.
Yes it does matter because you are steady talking about they are a part of the community when they are not.
Their store is a part of the community. Because they opened the store, they are contributing to the community.
They just extract money and go on about their business.
The money is leaving the community anyway; the only difference is people don’t have to spend the money, time, and inconvenience of going out of their way to take their money somewhere else. If they weren’t providing a service to the community, nobody would shop there and they would go out of business. Just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean nobody else does.
You don't even care about the trials your people face or that they are being exploited.
It doesn't sound like the people in your community are not being exploited; they are being offered a service, which they gladly accept.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The issue I have is one that's been related to me by a couple of black entrepreneurs who have tried getting into ground-level businesses in black areas.

One guy, a former graffiti tagger, did imaginative original tee-shirts similar to what he had former done on walls. He had a local print shop that would transfer his designs to shirts. But he told me that within a month after one of his designs hit the street, Chinese vendors had stolen them and were having them made in China for a fraction of the price he could get them.
That is a shame. If he had it copyrighted he could sue them for everything they've got. Very unfortunate.
A black cosmetic dealer I spoke to had a similar complaint: There was no way she could get cosmetics wholesale for the price her Chinese competitors got them from China.
Sounds like they are doing what Walmart has been doing forever; albeit on a smaller scale. Shame though. But Asians aren't the only ones guilty of this type of stuff.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
t doesn't sound like the people in your community are not being exploited; they are being offered a service, which they gladly accept.
You obviously have never lived in a black neighborhood. They provide overpriced crap and convenience, not value. Parasites sucking off the community and not giving anything back but Hot Cheetos, Newports, and Now&Laters. They aren't helping but hurting the community.

Upvote 0