• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Who is responsible for our sanctification?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Hammster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Hammster

Hammster Our weapons are Word, Water, Bread, Wine. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
  2. Sam91

Sam91 Child of the Living God Supporter

+7,996
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Why quote that in reply? I just wish that a different word could be used than responsible. Maybe if you read the definition you might understand without me needing to type a blasphemous sentence to iterate it. I don't think I could even hint at it.

Attached Files:

3. Hammster

Hammster Our weapons are Word, Water, Bread, Wine. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I quoted it because you never responded to it, and it is relevant.

4. Sam91

+7,996
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    There are a number of ways the word responsible is not the most appropriate word.

1) Obliged. The only person who can assign obligation is the Lord God Almighty. He acts in accordance with His will. He can choose His own will and it will go along with who He is. As Master I don't think we ought to say what He should or shouldn't do. Job 38.

2) Blame. Responsible is often used in regards to blame. I shall not go further, this is where the blasphemy would occur.

3) Causation is all well and good when referring to a good thing. People can blaspheme here too.

4) Accountable/ answerable. Who should God answer too? There is no higher power.

This is why I don't like the word. I think it should be a verb being used instead. Like 'who sanctifies us, ourselves or God?'

It's just it gives me a shudder when I see us trying to make God responsible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  5. Sam91

+7,996
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I gave you a mini essay response. Post 502.

6. Hammster

+21,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Oops. I missed it. :)

7. Hammster

+21,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    If God promises to conform us to the image of His Son, can we trust that promise?

8. Sam91

+7,996
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I understand why you use the word. I'm just saying why I don't like it. Hopefully, to save myself shuddering when I see short replies saying the word 'responsible' and a name for God. The longer replies with the word are easier because the context is there, explaining the meaning.

I did try to overlook it since I last mentioned it. I was hoping that in the spirit of loving thy neighbour you might bear with me in my weakness and try to do it a little less (although, I'd rather not see it at all :/ ). :oops:

I'll have to get back to you another night with regards to your question. It's 11pm brother and I have college tomorrow. Only had 4 hours sleep last night and it is a full day of lecture theatre lectures. First week back too so brain has stopped working and was tired by 3pm on Tuesday... and I'm there until 5pm tomorrow.

And the short answer is 'of course we can.'

9. Hammster

+21,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Let me run with your short answer. :)

If we can trust Him, this means that He has assumed the responsibility (or whatever word you think best) to ensure that it will happen.