• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Who is responsible for our sanctification?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Hammster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Hammster

Hammster Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The problem is our flesh. We always battle against it. However, being in Christ, in the vine, we will produce fruit. That’s what vines do.

2. Neogaia777

Neogaia777 Disciple Supporter

+4,543
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Works of the Law based Salvationism cannot save anyone, period...

And, yes, if you do have a true saving faith, it will be evidenced by your good works, but that is much different from works of the Law, which cannot save, ever, and actually cause you to walk in and after the flesh that is against the Spirit, etc...

And, yes, if you have to a true saving faith, and not works of the Law, then it will evidenced by and irresistible urge to "truly obey" and do good works from the heart and from having the right kind of heart... And again, not works of the Law that cannot save, or truly convert the heart, and actually cause a walking after the flesh, incite works of the flesh, etc, etc, etc...

God Bless!

3. Wordkeeper

Wordkeeper Newbie

+461
    Christian
    Married
    What is your explanation of works of the law, what it means? What is your Scripture support for your explanation?

Works of the law is a hebraism, a Jewish way of talking about those things that make a Jew identifiable, circumcision, food laws, Sabbath observance, fasting etc . In other words, marks that make a person a child of Abraham. The Jews were using a literal reading of the Bible to demand that God honor the promise to Abraham to bless his descendants. They were fighting for entitlement, through a technicality . Still are.

Jew means the person who praises God, who is on God's side, His people. Who is a Jew? Abraham was a Jew before he even got circumcised.

Romans 4
    10How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised;

Romans 2
    13For it is not the hearers of the Law who are righteous before God, but it is the doers of the Law who will be declared righteous.

28For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+4,933
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    If we remain in the vine. That’s what He said.

5. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Believers bear fruit. And that is the responsibility of the Vinedresser. He prunes, not removed, fruit bearing branches. So if a branch isn’t producing fruit, it’s His fault.

Are you ready to blame God for not doing His job?

6. BNR32FAN

+4,933
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I didn’t say anything about works of the law and I specifically said that works cannot save anyone. What I said was works are necessary to receive salvation. What is your interpretation of John 15:1-10? To be more specific what do you think John 15:2 and John 15:6 are saying?

7. BNR32FAN

+4,933
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes the branches in Christ that bear fruit are pruned and the branches in Christ that don’t bear fruit are cut off by The Father. You used a capital H in the word His. Are you saying it’s The Father’s fault that some branches in Christ don’t bear fruit?

8. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No, that’s the conclusion we have to draw from your misunderstanding of John 15.

In your theology (let me summarize) you have a Father that disowns His children; a Shepherd who loses sheep; and a Vinedresser who cannot seem to get all of His branches to bear fruit. So to stay saved, it’s dependent on children, sheep, and branches.

9. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    That appears to be a contradiction.

10. BNR32FAN

+4,933
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well we all know what happened to the wicked lazy servant in Matthew 25. Was it the master’s fault that the servant didn’t invest the talent? Are we to do nothing and expect salvation? It’s that type of attitude that condemned the goats also in Matthew 25.

11. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    You just keep making it more and more obvious that you believe your good works are a result of your effort.

12. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,945
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Sanctification is tough because everyone studied has a slightly different approach to it. John Bunyan's Methods of a full salvation... In which the witness of the Spirit is picked up at the Porter's House. And how I would teach the doctrine....

1. Salvation - As the Christian leaves the City of Destruction and makes his way to the Celestial City.
    2. Sanctification - At the interpreter's house
    3. The Witness of the Spirit - At the porter's house

The City of Destruction The place where evangelists set people on their journey to the Celestial City
    The Slough of Despair This represents the mire that well intentioned religious people bring to the way
    Legalities Mountain The enemy attempt to indoctrinate pilgrims with doctrine designed to inhibit spiritual light
    Plain of Instruction The evangelist sets the pilgrim on the right direction from the “Mr. Worldly Wiseman”
    The Wicket Gate The sinners prayer. Salvation.... The pilgrim now enters into the Lord’s country
    The Interpreters House This is a time of instruction where caring people instruct and disciple. Sanctification.
    Porters House The journey to a higher place where one receives the witness of the spirit.

And if the sanctification is picked up right... The Cross - If the discipleship at the Interpreters House is good, the burdens will drop at the sight of the cross. From the Pilgrims Progress....

NOW, I saw in my dream that the highway up which Christian was to go was fenced on either side with a wall that was called Salvation. Up this way, therefore, did burdened Christian run, but not without great difficulty, because of the load on his back.

He ran thus till he came to a place somewhat ascending; and upon that place stood a Cross, and a little below, in the bottom, a tomb. So I saw in my dream, that just as Christian came up with the cross, his burden loosed from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble, and so continued to do till it came to the mouth of the tomb, where it fell in, and I saw it no more.

Then was Christian glad and lightsome, and said with a merry heart, "He hath given me rest by His sorrow, and life by His death." Then he stood still awhile to look and wonder; for it was very surprising to him that the sight of the cross should thus ease him of his burden. He looked, therefore, and looked again, even till the springs that were in his head sent the water down his cheeks. Now, as he stood looking and weeping, behold, three Shining Ones came to him, and saluted him with "Peace be to thee." So the first said to him, "Thy sins be forgiven thee;" the second stripped him of his rags, and clothed him
    [​IMG]
    with a change of garments; the third also set a mark on his forehead, and gave him a roll with a seal upon it, which he bade him look on as he ran, and that he should give it in at the heavenly gate; so they went their way. Then Christian gave three leaps for joy, and went on, singing:

"Thus far did I come laden with my sin;
    Nor could aught ease the grief that I was in,
    Till I came hither; what a place is this!
    Must here be the beginning of my bliss?
    Must here the burden fall from off my back?
    Must here the strings that bound it to me crack?
    Blest cross! blest sepulchre! blest rather be
    The Man that was there put to shame for me!"

Who then is responsible for getting us out of the world into a state of sanctification? The Apostle Paul claims....

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you... - Galatians 4:19

In that case the Apostle Paul took the responsibility upon himself.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. BNR32FAN

+4,933
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Nah, you just look for every way to twist what I say to it’s worst possible meaning is all. You know full well that I’m a synergist. Do you really think that is a true assessment of my beliefs from our many discussions or are you more concerned with discrediting me with deceptive tactics that you know are not true?

14. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,945
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I believe once this occurs....

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. - 2 Corinthians 5:17

Then the sanctification can be claimed. The old timers in my movement would encourage folks to revival. If they could not sense the Christ in the experience they would tell you, “You don’t have it yet! Come back tomorrow night!” And smile a little as they said it.

15. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I do think it’s a true assessment of your beliefs. You are constantly stating that man is chiefly responsible for his standing with God, and you constantly neglect the fact that God is Father, Shepherd, Vinedresser. So in your theology, the sin isn’t obedient to his Father out of love, but duty to stay saved.

“works are necessary to receive salvation.”

16. BNR32FAN

+4,933
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married

17. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
  18. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
    2 Corinthians 3:5-6

Paul always points to God as the source of any good that he does. See also Galatians 2:20.

19. Hammster

+21,320
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.
    2 Corinthians 7:9

More evidence that God is responsible for our sanctification.

20. Sam91

Sam91 Child of the Living God Supporter

+7,996
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I still don't like the word choice of 'responsible' btw. If another synonym was chosen I'd have been happier. T'is done. :/