Who do you think the Palestinian people are? Must cite sources!

Who are the modern Palestinians?

• Arab

• Philistine

• Greek (Sea People)

• Edomite

• Mixed

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Shalom NBB, Blessing and Peace be multiplied to you and yours.

I would ask that you carefully read the OP and reframe your query to fit within that framework. I can forgive your assumption that this is a debate thread - but it is not. You are asked to, 1) Tell us who you believe (or might believe) are the Palestinians and 2) comply with these terms, "Notice: Your answers should cite sources and propose a plausible progenitor. (Absent that, it should be funny)"

Thank you in advance! :oldthumbsup:
Well, i am citing ismael as progenitor, and citing the bible.... i think my post is on topic

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, i am citing ismael as progenitor, and citing the bible.... i think my post is on topic
That's perfectly fine, now that I know what you meant. Since you made no reference to the Palestinians and you didn't provide a link to the verses you were citing, I hope you will forgive me for not understanding your intent.

That said, I want to thank you for participating. I should have made this a Poll too. Perhaps that would have made my intentions a little clearer.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In case any of you have not noticed, I have included a Poll in the OP. That way we can determine what is the general consensus is among our participants. Check it out!

Click here -> This way to Poll!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I voted mixed, however, after reading this quick search, it states the Palestinians are a group ..... I am going with a mixed group.

"The Palestinian people are an Arab ethno-nationalist group residing primarily in the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, Israel, Jordan and parts of southern Lebanon and Syria."

Who Are The Palestinians? | My Jewish Learning

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I voted mixed, however, after reading this quick search, it states the Palestinians are a group ..... I am going with a mixed group.

"The Palestinian people are an Arab ethno-nationalist group residing primarily in the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, Israel, Jordan and parts of southern Lebanon and Syria."

Who Are The Palestinians? | My Jewish Learning
Welcome aboard! A number of others have stated the same sentiment. However, Today being the first day of the week, many people are still involved in church activities and I only added the the Poll last night. Hope to see more result later today.

Thanks for participating Wings. Blessing multiplied in His Name!

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Welcome aboard! A number of others have stated the same sentiment. However, Today being the first day of the week, many people are still involved in church activities and I only added the the Poll last night. Hope to see more result later today.

Thanks for participating Wings. Blessing multiplied in His Name!
Just thought about this. Abraham also had sons by Keturah.

An some excerpts "30 days of prayer for the muslim world"

"The Bible is a major source of Arab genealogies. We know that there are at least three types of Middle-Eastern Arabs: the Joktanites, the Ishmaelites and the Keturahites."

"After Sarah’s death Abraham took another wife (or concubine) named Keturah (Genesis 25:1-3). Abraham had six other sons through Keturah after the birth of Isaac (Zimran and Jokshan and Medan and Midian and Ishbak and Shuah). All of Keturah’s sons eventually became the heads of Arab tribes".

"Later Moses married Zipporah the daughter of Jethro the priest of Midian, (Exodus 2:16-22)."

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just thought about this. Abraham also had sons by Keturah.

An some excerpts "30 days of prayer for the muslim world"

"The Bible is a major source of Arab genealogies. We know that there are at least three types of Middle-Eastern Arabs: the Joktanites, the Ishmaelites and the Keturahites."

"After Sarah’s death Abraham took another wife (or concubine) named Keturah (Genesis 25:1-3). Abraham had six other sons through Keturah after the birth of Isaac (Zimran and Jokshan and Medan and Midian and Ishbak and Shuah). All of Keturah’s sons eventually became the heads of Arab tribes".

"Later Moses married Zipporah the daughter of Jethro the priest of Midian, (Exodus 2:16-22)."
So you are NOT changing your position per the progenitor of the Palestinians? It would seem so. Anyway, once you have decided, please select your choice in the Poll, OK? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since only three (3) have voted so far (including myself), I would encourage the rest of you to vote soon. We have Eight (8) participants so far. The votes as I see them now would be:

Yeshua HaDerekh - Mixed​

Maria Billingsley - Mixed​

honey badger - Other​

Lost4words - Other​

NBB - Arab​

ralliann - Other​

Wings like Eagles - Mixed​

Please correct me if I am mistaken, and again, Thank you All!​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Since only three (3) have voted so far (including myself), I would encourage the rest of you to vote soon. We have Eight (8) participants so far. The votes as I see them now would be:

Yeshua HaDerekh - Mixed​

honey badger - Other​

Lost4words - Other​

NBB - Arab​

ralliann - Arab​

Yeshua HaDerekh - Mixed​

honey badger - Other​

Lost4words - Other​

NBB - Arab​

ralliann - Arab​

I actually chose other.

Reactions: Yahudim
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

MOD HAT ON

This thread is rife with violations

Note our sitewide rule:

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic​

Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

The OP clearly stated to cite your sources.

Further violations could lead to Staff actions.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @Jimmy It and welcome. I see that you are new. Please read the OP (opening post). That is where you will find the terms of the discussion for the thread. In this case, we are asking who you think the progenitor of the Palestinian people are. Then we ask that you cite references to support your choice. This is how we keep the posts on topic.

Thanks in advance,
Phillip

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That link is the source
Here it is again; https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/why-is-there-no-palestinian-state/
Sorry about the confusion.
The confusion seems to be yours. Let me be clear. Here is the OP, the post that you should have already read, quoted below:
Shalom All,

There has been a lot of speculation lately about the origin of the Palestinians. Some say they are of the Arabs. Some say the have descended from the Philistines. Some say they are descendants of the mysterious 'Sea People', pirates that ravaged the Levant coast at the end of the Bronze age. What say you?

Notice: Your answers should cite sources and propose a plausible progenitor. (Absent that, it should be funny)

The OP clearly informs you that this thread is not about politics. It is about the ANCESTRY of the modern Palestinian people; about whom you believe they are descended. It is about tracing the ancestral roots of this specific people group, according to scripture and the ancient historical record. Again, this thread is not about modern era middle east politics.

Let me break it down for you: You have not proposed a 'plausible progenitor'. You did not 'cite sources' relative to that end, and there is nothing 'funny' about your off-topic post.

Please remove your link to a political opinion piece. It has no place in this thread. If you wish to join in the discussion, please limit your responses to the topic at hand.

Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The confusion seems to be yours. Let me be clear. Here is the OP, the post that you should have already read, quoted below:

The OP clearly informs you that this thread is not about politics. It is about the ANCESTRY of the modern Palestinian people; about whom you believe they are descended. It is about tracing the ancestral roots of this specific people group, according to scripture and the ancient historical record. Again, this thread is not about modern era middle east politics.

Let me break it down for you: You have not proposed a 'plausible progenitor'. You did not 'cite sources' relative to that end, and there is nothing 'funny' about your off-topic post.

Please remove your link to a political opinion piece. It has no place in this thread. If you wish to join in the discussion, please limit your responses to the topic at hand.

Thank you
Modern day Palestinians are the Arabs who live (or used to live) in the same land that the Zionist Jews now live in. They are primarily the descendants of Ishmael who was the only child produced by Abraham and his wife's handmaid named Hagar (Genesis 16:1 - 4). Hagar and her son were sent away from Abraham and Sarah on two separate occasions (Genesis 16:5 - 6, 21:9 - 14).

Some of the modern-day Palestinians are also likely descendants of Lot (one of Abraham's relatives whose two daughters gave birth to the peoples of Moab and Ammon, Genesis 19:36 - 38). Some are also possibly descended from Esau, the twin brother of Jacob (Israel) and son of Isaac (Genesis 25:25 - 26).
https://www.[bless and do not curse...curse]/maturart/who-are-the-palestinians.html

Philistine, one of a people of Aegean origin who settled on the southern coast of Palestine in the 12th century BCE, about the time of the arrival of the Israelites. According to biblical tradition (Deuteronomy 2:23; Jeremiah 47:4), the Philistines came from Caphtor (possibly Crete, although there is no archaeological evidence of a Philistine occupation of the island). The first records of the Philistines are inscriptions and reliefs in the mortuary temple of Ramses III at Madinat Habu, where they appear under the name prst, as one of the Sea Peoples that invaded Egypt about 1190 BCE after ravaging Anatolia, Cyprus, and Syria. After being repulsed by the Egyptians, they settled—possibly with Egypt’s permission—on the coastal plain of Palestine from Joppa (modern Tel Aviv–Yafo) southward to Gaza. The area contained the five cities (the Pentapolis) of the Philistine confederacy (Gaza, Ashkelon [Ascalon], Ashdod, Gath, and Ekron) and was known as Philistia, or the Land of the Philistines. It was from this designation that the whole of the country was later called Palestine by the Greeks.

Palestine under the House of David
Palestine during the time of David and Solomon.
The Philistines expanded into neighbouring areas and soon came into conflict with the Israelites, a struggle represented by the Samson saga (Judges 13–16) in the Hebrew Bible. Possessing superior arms and military organization, the Philistines were able (c. 1050 BCE) to occupy part of the Judaean hill country. The Philistines’ local monopoly on smithing iron (I Samuel 13:19), a skill they probably acquired in Anatolia, was likely a factor in their military dominance during this period. They were finally defeated by the Israelite king David (10th century), and thereafter their history was that of individual cities rather than of a people. After the division of Judah and Israel (10th century), the Philistines regained their independence and often engaged in border battles with those kingdoms.

Record of the Philistines starts around 12 B.C. They are believed to have settled along the coast of Palestine and made their arrival at the same time as the Israelites. History shows that they invaded Egypt around 1190 B.C. during the reign of Ramses III. They were driven back by the Egyptians and settled along the coastal plains of Palestine. Today this area is Tel Aviv.

The Philistines did not worship our God. They worshipped idol gods. We do know from Scripture that they worshipped Dagon. “Then the lords of the Philistines gathered them together for to offer a great sacrifice unto Dagon their god, and to rejoice: for they said, Our god hath delivered Samson our enemy into our hand” (Judges 16:23).

Last edited:
Reactions: Yahudim
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟141,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Modern day Palestinians are the Arabs who live (or used to live) in the same land that the Zionist Jews now live in. They are primarily the descendants of Ishmael who was the only child produced by Abraham and his wife's handmaid named Hagar (Genesis 16:1 - 4). Hagar and her son were sent away from Abraham and Sarah on two separate occasions (Genesis 16:5 - 6, 21:9 - 14).

Some of the modern-day Palestinians are also likely descendants of Lot (one of Abraham's relatives whose two daughters gave birth to the peoples of Moab and Ammon, Genesis 19:36 - 38). Some are also possibly descended from Esau, the twin brother of Jacob (Israel) and son of Isaac (Genesis 25:25 - 26).

Philistine, one of a people of Aegean origin who settled on the southern coast of Palestine in the 12th century BCE, about the time of the arrival of the Israelites. According to biblical tradition (Deuteronomy 2:23; Jeremiah 47:4), the Philistines came from Caphtor (possibly Crete, although there is no archaeological evidence of a Philistine occupation of the island). The first records of the Philistines are inscriptions and reliefs in the mortuary temple of Ramses III at Madinat Habu, where they appear under the name prst, as one of the Sea Peoples that invaded Egypt about 1190 BCE after ravaging Anatolia, Cyprus, and Syria. After being repulsed by the Egyptians, they settled—possibly with Egypt’s permission—on the coastal plain of Palestine from Joppa (modern Tel Aviv–Yafo) southward to Gaza. The area contained the five cities (the Pentapolis) of the Philistine confederacy (Gaza, Ashkelon [Ascalon], Ashdod, Gath, and Ekron) and was known as Philistia, or the Land of the Philistines. It was from this designation that the whole of the country was later called Palestine by the Greeks.

Palestine under the House of David
Palestine during the time of David and Solomon.
The Philistines expanded into neighbouring areas and soon came into conflict with the Israelites, a struggle represented by the Samson saga (Judges 13–16) in the Hebrew Bible. Possessing superior arms and military organization, the Philistines were able (c. 1050 BCE) to occupy part of the Judaean hill country. The Philistines’ local monopoly on smithing iron (I Samuel 13:19), a skill they probably acquired in Anatolia, was likely a factor in their military dominance during this period. They were finally defeated by the Israelite king David (10th century), and thereafter their history was that of individual cities rather than of a people. After the division of Judah and Israel (10th century), the Philistines regained their independence and often engaged in border battles with those kingdoms.

Record of the Philistines starts around 12 B.C. They are believed to have settled along the coast of Palestine and made their arrival at the same time as the Israelites. History shows that they invaded Egypt around 1190 B.C. during the reign of Ramses III. They were driven back by the Egyptians and settled along the coastal plains of Palestine. Today this area is Tel Aviv.

The Philistines did not worship our God. They worshipped idol gods. We do know from Scripture that they worshipped Dagon. “Then the lords of the Philistines gathered them together for to offer a great sacrifice unto Dagon their god, and to rejoice: for they said, Our god hath delivered Samson our enemy into our hand” (Judges 16:23).
Bravo Brother, now you are on point!

So, it is your position that the Modern Day Palestinians are of mixed progenitors? May we also understand you to mean that after the Roman diaspora (scattering) of the Jews, that the people that remained in the land were 'Idumean', the Hellenized version of 'Edomite' (ala King Herod the Idumean)?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.