Who do you think the Palestinian people are? Must cite sources!

Who are the modern Palestinians?

• Arab

• Philistine

• Greek (Sea People)

• Edomite

• Mixed

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟143,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom All,

There has been a lot of speculation lately about the origin of the Palestinians. Some say they are of the Arabs. Some say the have descended from the Philistines. Some say they are descendants of the mysterious 'Sea People', pirates that ravaged the Levant coast at the end of the Bronze age. What say you?

Notice: Your answers should cite sources and propose a plausible progenitor. (Absent that, it should be funny)

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A mix of Arabs...Syrians, Egyptians (Arafat was Egyptian), Bedouin, Turkish, Lebanese, some Jewish mixed in also. Can also have some Greek and Iranian mixed in, even some European. If you search for Palestinian DNA, you will find they are very mixed.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟910,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shalom All,

There has been a lot of speculation lately about the origin of the Palestinians. Some say they are of the Arabs. Some say the have descended from the Philistines. Some say they are descendants of the mysterious 'Sea People', pirates that ravaged the Levant coast at the end of the Bronze age. What say you?

Notice: Your answers should cite sources and propose a plausible progenitor. (Absent that, it should be funny)
I suspect you already know. Maybe share? I haven't the slightest idea! Meanwhile, Bard did some research for me. Enjoy!

The origins of Palestinians in Israel is a complex and contested issue, with various historical and archaeological perspectives. Here's a summary of the key evidence:
  1. Archaeological Evidence: Archaeological findings indicate continuous human habitation in the region now known as Israel and Palestine for thousands of years. Remains of ancient cities, settlements, and artifacts suggest a diverse populace with shifting ethnicities and cultural influences over time.
  2. Genetic Studies: Genetic studies have shown that Palestinians share genetic ancestry with neighboring populations in the Levant region, including Lebanese, Syrians, and Jordanians. This aligns with the historical record of migration and intermixing in the area.
  3. Historical Records: Historical records from various periods, including ancient Egyptian inscriptions, Greek and Roman writings, and medieval Arab chronicles, document the presence of various groups inhabiting the region, including Canaanites, Philistines, Jews, Arabs, and others.
  4. Ottoman Period: The Ottoman Empire's rule over the region from the 16th to early 20th centuries brought significant demographic and cultural changes. Arabization and Islamization were prominent trends, leading to the formation of a predominantly Arab-speaking and Muslim population in the region.
  5. British Mandate and Zionist Movement: The British Mandate period (1920-1948) saw increased Jewish immigration to Palestine, driven by the Zionist movement's aspirations for a Jewish homeland. This led to demographic shifts and tensions between the growing Jewish and Arab populations.
  6. 1948 Nakba and Aftermath: The 1948 Arab-Israeli war and the subsequent establishment of the State of Israel resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, known as the Nakba. This displacement and the ongoing conflict have significantly shaped the identity and experiences of Palestinians.
In conclusion, the origins of Palestinians in Israel are rooted in a long and complex history of human migration, cultural exchange, and political transformations. While there is ongoing debate about specific aspects of this history, the evidence suggests that Palestinians are an integral part of the region's diverse population with deep historical ties to the land.

Sure, here are some of the sources I used to compile the information on the origins of Palestinians in Israel:
  1. "The Origin of the Palestinians" by Rashid Khalidi (2004): This book provides a comprehensive overview of the historical and archaeological evidence regarding the origins of Palestinians.
  2. "The Palestinians" by Benny Morris (2004): This book offers a detailed analysis of Palestinian history from the 19th century to the present day.
  3. "The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: A History" by Ilan Pappe (2003): This book provides a critical perspective on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including its historical roots and contemporary challenges.
  4. "A History of Palestine: From the Ottoman Conquest to the Founding of the State of Israel" by Walid Khalidi (2009): This book offers a comprehensive overview of Palestinian history from the 16th to the 20th centuries.
  5. "The Palestinian People: A History" by Sabri Jiryis (2004): This book provides a detailed analysis of Palestinian society, culture, and political movements.
In addition to these books, I also consulted various academic articles, archaeological reports, and historical documents to gather information on the origins of Palestinians in Israel.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟143,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A mix of Arabs...Syrians, Egyptians (Arafat was Egyptian), Bedouin, Turkish, Lebanese, some Jewish mixed in also. Can also have some Greek and Iranian mixed in, even some European. If you search for Palestinian DNA, you will find they are very mixed.
Shalom Chaver,

Thank you for your participation. While you have shared your understanding, you haven't cited any source to support your understanding. So, for the time being, I will withhold my sources also. Believe me when I say, the answer is much simpler than most might think!

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟143,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect you already know. Maybe share? I haven't the slightest idea! Meanwhile, Bard did some research for me. Enjoy!

The origins of Palestinians in Israel is a complex and contested issue, with various historical and archaeological perspectives. Here's a summary of the key evidence:
  1. Archaeological Evidence: Archaeological findings indicate continuous human habitation in the region now known as Israel and Palestine for thousands of years. Remains of ancient cities, settlements, and artifacts suggest a diverse populace with shifting ethnicities and cultural influences over time.
  2. Genetic Studies: Genetic studies have shown that Palestinians share genetic ancestry with neighboring populations in the Levant region, including Lebanese, Syrians, and Jordanians. This aligns with the historical record of migration and intermixing in the area.
  3. Historical Records: Historical records from various periods, including ancient Egyptian inscriptions, Greek and Roman writings, and medieval Arab chronicles, document the presence of various groups inhabiting the region, including Canaanites, Philistines, Jews, Arabs, and others.
  4. Ottoman Period: The Ottoman Empire's rule over the region from the 16th to early 20th centuries brought significant demographic and cultural changes. Arabization and Islamization were prominent trends, leading to the formation of a predominantly Arab-speaking and Muslim population in the region.
  5. British Mandate and Zionist Movement: The British Mandate period (1920-1948) saw increased Jewish immigration to Palestine, driven by the Zionist movement's aspirations for a Jewish homeland. This led to demographic shifts and tensions between the growing Jewish and Arab populations.
  6. 1948 Nakba and Aftermath: The 1948 Arab-Israeli war and the subsequent establishment of the State of Israel resulted in the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, known as the Nakba. This displacement and the ongoing conflict have significantly shaped the identity and experiences of Palestinians.
In conclusion, the origins of Palestinians in Israel are rooted in a long and complex history of human migration, cultural exchange, and political transformations. While there is ongoing debate about specific aspects of this history, the evidence suggests that Palestinians are an integral part of the region's diverse population with deep historical ties to the land.

Sure, here are some of the sources I used to compile the information on the origins of Palestinians in Israel:
  1. "The Origin of the Palestinians" by Rashid Khalidi (2004): This book provides a comprehensive overview of the historical and archaeological evidence regarding the origins of Palestinians.
  2. "The Palestinians" by Benny Morris (2004): This book offers a detailed analysis of Palestinian history from the 19th century to the present day.
  3. "The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: A History" by Ilan Pappe (2003): This book provides a critical perspective on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including its historical roots and contemporary challenges.
  4. "A History of Palestine: From the Ottoman Conquest to the Founding of the State of Israel" by Walid Khalidi (2009): This book offers a comprehensive overview of Palestinian history from the 16th to the 20th centuries.
  5. "The Palestinian People: A History" by Sabri Jiryis (2004): This book provides a detailed analysis of Palestinian society, culture, and political movements.
In addition to these books, I also consulted various academic articles, archaeological reports, and historical documents to gather information on the origins of Palestinians in Israel.
Shalom Maria and blessing multiplied to you and yours,

Please pass my thanks along to @Bard too. And you are correct. I have the answer. It is mind-blowingly simple (your only clue for now ;))...

What I mean by citations is perhaps a quote, a graph or an illustration that mentions the source material and directly supports the perspective you hold to (or even suspect). I fear none of us are going to run out, acquire a book and read it. But a link to an online publication or a video that can easily be viewed by other members is just fine.

Here, I'll give you an example of some context presented as links to online videos, that seems to be driving the whole Israel/Palestinian dialog at present:
Ben Shapiro does a pretty good job of simplifying this very complex contemporary topic from the Jewish perspective. Recently, a new perspective has been circulating from Seth Fleishman, claiming the Palestinians originated from European sources.

From the other side we might review any number of sources that claim Israel is an occupying force with no claim to the land and have brutally subjugated the Palestinian people. You may wish to go to Al Jazeera for their historical perspective. And for a secular context, one might even recommend, How Britain Started the Arab-Israeli Conflict.

Offered in His love and I sincerely hope this helps,
Phillip

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Shalom Chaver,

Thank you for your participation. While you have shared your understanding, you haven't cited any source to support your understanding. So, for the time being, I will withhold my sources also. Believe me when I say, the answer is much simpler than most might think!
Shalom Achi,
You can find it all over the internet, like I said just look up Palestinian DNA, lots of DNA studies :)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A Word of Caution:

I am becoming alarmed at the nonchalant manner in which people (generally speaking, of course) rely on any assertions based on DNA.
I think DNA can and does shed a light on the current genealogies of those currently being called "palestinians". As you can see, they are NOT a homogeneous people at all. That was my point. They are mostly a mix of Arab peoples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have @Yeshua HaDerekh, but I have a problem with that strategy. Both scripture and the historical record are rife with examples of what we already know. People have intermarried (when they married at all) and with almost anyone willing and quite a few that weren't. So much for DNA. Just sayin'...
Y DNA and mt DNA can be used to view historical movement

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So Jews are no longer Jews because the have intermarried with too many Nordic, Germanic and Eastern European women? Y'know, the Sephardic Jews might have a few concerns too. Who is going to break the news? Rest well my dear brother. I'm going back to sleep.
Um, being Jewish is a nationality as well as a religion (Judaism), not so with Arabs and Muslims. You know there are also Mizrahi Jews. What does that have anything to do regarding what I said? Most people are mixed but not all are the same mix...Oy Vey!

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Um, being Jewish is a nationality as well as a religion (Judaism), not so with Arabs and Muslims. You know there are also Mizrahi Jews. What does that have anything to do regarding what I said? Most people are mixed but not all are the same mix...Oy Vey! So is that identity politics...anyone can say they are whatever they feel like? As I said, DNA is a tool.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟143,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Yeshua Ha Derekh

Look at the OP. This is NOT a debate thread. I have deleted my posts as I don't wish to continue to encourage your off topic posts. I took the bait and I am sorry that I did, so I offer you this opportunity to comply.

Your answer is that the Palestinians are mixed and mostly Arab. Clean up your posts and leave it there please.

Thank you and Shabbat Shalom

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@Yeshua Ha Derekh

Look at the OP. This is NOT a debate thread. I have deleted my posts as I don't wish to continue to encourage your off topic posts. I took the bait and I am sorry that I did, so I offer you this opportunity to comply.

Your answer is that the Palestinians are mixed and mostly Arab. Clean up your posts and leave it there please.

Thank you and Shabbat Shalom
I don't see how my posts were off topic. There was no bait of any sort. Their origins are from different middle eastern populations IMO from DNA data I have seen. That's it...
Shabbat Shalom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Are not the arabs the descendants of Ismael, God said "i will make a great nation of him too' to his mother.
Ge 17:20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

Gen 25:16 These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their towns, and by their castles; twelve princes according to their nations.
17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people.
18 And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur, that is before Egypt, as thou goest toward Assyria: and he died in the presence of all his brethren.

02341 חוילה Chaviylah khav-ee-law’

probably from 02342; n pr loc/n pr m; [BDB-296b] {See TWOT on 622}

AV-Havilah 7; 7

Havilah= "circle"

n pr loc
1) a part of Eden through which flowed the river Pison (Araxes); was probably the Grecian Colchis, in the northeast corner of Asia Minor, near the Caspian Sea
2) a district in Arabia of the Ishmaelites named from the 2nd son of Cush; probably the district of Kualan, in the northwestern part of Yemen

n pr m
3) a son of Cush
4) a son of Joktan

07793 שׁור Shuwr shoor

the same as 07791; n pr loc; [BDB-1004a] {See TWOT on 3025}

AV-Shur 6; 6

Shur= "wall"

1) a place southwest of Palestine on the eastern border or within the border of Egypt; the Israelites passed through the wilderness of Shur after crossing the Red Sea
1a) also ‘wilderness of Etham’

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟143,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are not the arabs the descendants of Ismael, God said "i will make a great nation of him too' to his mother.
Shalom NBB, Blessing and Peace be multiplied to you and yours.

I would ask that you carefully read the OP and reframe your query to fit within that framework. I can forgive your assumption that this is a debate thread - but it is not. You are asked to, 1) Tell us who you believe (or might believe) are the Palestinians and 2) comply with these terms, "Notice: Your answers should cite sources and propose a plausible progenitor. (Absent that, it should be funny)"

Thank you in advance! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟143,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom shalom (that is Perfect Peace) ralliann,

I must compliment you on your grasp of scripture concerning your reply to @NBB above. Thank you for your contribution to this thread. However, as you can see from my response to NBB, their post is off-topic. Please do me the service of reading the OP and replying to that instead. I would be most grateful and I am very curious to see who you think or even suspect, the Palestinians might be.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Shalom shalom (that is Perfect Peace) ralliann,

I must compliment you on your grasp of scripture concerning your reply to @NBB above. Thank you for your contribution to this thread. However, as you can see from my response to NBB, their post is off-topic. Please do me the service of reading the OP and replying to that instead. I would be most grateful and I am very curious to see who you think or even suspect, the Palestinians might be.
I don't know I was simply responding to a post

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.