who are the seminary educated wof scholars?

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Paula White is not Word of Faith. Plain and simple.

I lean to... she's not Word of Faith but she is very WOF friendly. There's criticism that follows her also just like the rest of us, or any other faith teachers out there. She's far from being perfect (as me also) but was impressive during times she prayed for Pres. Trump in front of the media at the White House lawn. What a honor...least, in my opinion.

God knows where to put us to minister "for such a time as this.." (Esther 4:14).

Word-of-Faith - Copy (2020_05_10 22_13_39 UTC).gif

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why do people identify her as WOF online?
They have quotes on their websites that are quotes form her that are WOF theology. Simply google her name.

Hi Daniel... who are the "they?" If... they are Word of Faith critics... all one has to do is mention the word "prosperity" and many were/are automatically branded WOF. She does share in some WOF theology but that don't make her Word of Faith. I have watched and listened to her ministry (at times) over the years and she does have some association with various teachers but I never heard her say (to my knowledge)... that she was Word of Faith.

With that being said, I'll say this... I have listened/watched Andrew Wommack since 1979 who I never heard him actually say that he was Word of Faith... but he definitely is.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Daniel... who are the "they?" If... they are Word of Faith critics... all one has to do is mention the word "prosperity" and many were/are automatically branded WOF. She does share in some WOF theology but that don't make her Word of Faith. I have watched and listened to her ministry (at times) over the years and she does have some association with various teachers but I never heard her say (to my knowledge)... that she was Word of Faith.

With that being said, I'll say this... I have listened/watched Andrew Wommack since 1979 who I never heard him actually say that he was Word of Faith... but he definitely is.

Thank You Friend that makes sense, lets try a different direction in another thread.
What are the differences and similarities between Wof and prosperity movements?

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
She uses the same language and concepts as WoF. Her teachings fit WoF.

Fifteen Leading American Pentecostal Scholars.

Amos Young
Mel Robeck
Frank Macchia
Gordon Fee
Vinson Synan
Chris Thomas
Grant Wacker
Steven Land
Veli-Matti Karkkainen
Gary McGee
Stanley Burgess
Miroslav Volf
Craig Keener
Cheryl Bridges-Johns
James K. A. Smith
Stanley Horton
Rick Moore

Which of those are Wof?

Hi Daniel... I just found these posts on (Page 2) Post 28 & 31. Not sure how I missed them but here goes. When I first started in the Word of Faith Movement, I searched many, many, many hours looking for about the same as you are doing. I did find two or three good WOF studies years ago in which I copied and saved for future use. It was great stuff, but unfortunately, they were all lost when my PC crashed and the info was not backed up.

When I saw this post (28 and 31)... I thought the name Vinson Synan was familiar (as he may) have been the author of the info I lost, only to find it wasn't him... after several hours of searching. Anyway, (IMO)... none on the list to my knowledge are Word of Faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Daniel... I just found these posts on (Page 2) Post 28 & 31. Not sure how I missed them but here goes. When I first started in the Word of Faith Movement, I searched many, many, many hours looking for about the same as you are doing. I did find two or three good WOF studies years ago in which I copied and saved for future use. It was great stuff, but unfortunately, they were all lost when my PC crashed and the info was not backed up.

When I saw this post (28 and 31)... I thought the name Vinson Synan was familiar (as he may) have been the author of the info I lost, only to find it wasn't him... after several hours of searching. Anyway, (IMO)... none on the list to my knowledge are Word of Faith.

I thought he went to heaven. Here is a list of his publications. In my experience, if you write an author by hand they will send you a copy of books and articles. If you email them, they often send a PDF file.

School of Divinity - Faculty - Vinson Synan - Regent University

https://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/docs/faculty/synan/2000 Years of Prophecy.pdf

https://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/docs/faculty/synan/healer_synan.pdf

https://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/docs/faculty/synan/Apostolic_practice_Synan.pdf

found those by googling https://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/docs/faculty/synan/

https://www.regent.edu/acad/schdiv/docs/faculty/synan/women_in_ministry.pdf

If an author has gone to heaven, email the library where he taught.

Also, email the bookstore in case some old copies have been hanging around.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably the closest thing approaching a standard seminary that teaches some Word of Faith might be the graduate-level College of Theology and Ministry at Oral Roberts U. Fully accredited and offers all the professional level degrees that a seminary would, including the M.Div.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are just making an excuse not to name WOF scholars with a master's in theology degrees who have written in well known Biblical Journals.

Off the top of my head Gordon Fee comes to mind for AOG.
https://www.theopedia.com/gordon-d-fee

And here's some more from ORU. Note, per accreditation requirements, etc. one does not attain to certain ranks in academia without some publishing credits. I imagine a literature search on the following names should yield some results:
[Dr. Peter Althouse] has served as co-editor for Pneuma: The Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, The Canadian Journal of Pentecostal-Charismatic Christianity, and co-edited several volumes on Pentecostalism. He has provided professional leadership to different academic societies such as the American Academy of Religion and the Society for Pentecostal Studies, and he has participated in the National Council of Churches, where members addressed the problems of racism and mass incarceration. Professor of Theology - Graduate School of Theology and Ministry

Director of Modular and Distance Education Programs; Assistant Professor of Practical Theology - Graduate School of Theology and Ministry
Undergraduate College of Theology and Ministry, Department Chair
Senior Professor of Theology, Graduate School of Theology and Ministry
Associate Professor of Professional Counseling, Graduate Counseling Practicum/Internship Coordinator

[Dr. Ma] established the Asian Pentecostal Society and served as Founding President (1998-2000), and founded Asian Journal of Pentecostal Studies. Besides his tribal ministry and teaching, he also served in various administrative responsibilities, including Vice President for Academic Affairs. He participated in various international mission and ecumenical meetings as an Asian Pentecostal.
From 2006 to 2016, he served as Executive Director and David Yonggi Cho Research Tutor of Global Christianity at Oxford Centre for Mission Studies, Oxford, United Kingdom. During this decade, the school grew to offer the largest PhD program in mission studies throughout Europe. Dean, College of Theology and Ministry, Distinguished Professor of Global Christianity

Plus, he's undertaking some exciting research exploring the intersection between theology and ecology. For this, he collaborates with such organizations as the Ecological Hermeneutics section with the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL is a fairly prominent professional guild within theological academia.) Senior Professor of New Testament, Undergraduate College of Theology and Ministry

ORU publishes its own peer-reviewed academic journal called Spiritus.
(Full disclosure: I did not attend ORU, all this came from hunting around their website. I would imagine a search of A/G Theological Seminary or Pentecostal Theological Seminary at Lee University would yield similar results. I grant you, not all of these scholars would be explicitly Word of Faith adherents. In addition, other charismatics have studied at non-C/P schools. For instance R.T. Kendall received his doctorate from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.)

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
She uses the same language and concepts as WoF. Her teachings fit WoF.

Fifteen Leading American Pentecostal Scholars.

Amos Young
Mel Robeck
Frank Macchia
Gordon Fee
Vinson Synan
Chris Thomas
Grant Wacker
Steven Land
Veli-Matti Karkkainen
Gary McGee
Stanley Burgess
Miroslav Volf
Craig Keener
Cheryl Bridges-Johns
James K. A. Smith
Stanley Horton
Rick Moore

Which of those are Wof?

You left out John MacArthur, He is very well off as well.
His book sales, and sitting on boards had give him prosperity too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Curious if you could please post (linked) the Doctrinal stance of Word of Faith and then side by side on non Word of Faith Charismatic (Like Assemblies of God) and show the differences you are speaking of. Since we are speaking of Doctrine, let's focus on just that.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No

You are welcome to read our Statement of Faith.
There is no need to exchange kibbutz over a denomination like Church of God, and a movement such as Word of Faith.

Respectfully disagree.

Upvote 0