• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

who all has autism or asberpergers?

Mar 22, 2007
Glenside, PA
✟7,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My brother was diagnosed with AS at age sixteen. My parents always knew I was quirky too and that he and I were really good at understanding each other, but they thought I was ADD. I researched that, and found out I wasn't--some of the characteristics were there, but other's weren't, and I really didn't get how they thought. Then I started realizing that a lot of girls with AS are misdiagnosed with ADD, especially the higher functioning ones. One of my special interests is anthropology--I love to sit back and study people and learn about them--gee, no wonder I was high-functioning. I self-diagnosed at age 19, and that diagnosis has been confirmed by many of my friends and family. We're pretty sure my Dad has AS too and that my grandfather had it, but it also runs on my Mom's side of the family. Fun stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PairoDocs

Jan 11, 2008
Southern Idaho USA
✟15,268.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi! I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 1997, though I suspected I had "mild autism" many years earlier. The symptoms such as my single minded working to death conversations on topics interesting to only me and my wearing of eccentric clothing, i.e. ski goggles as sunglasses and wearing my shirt's top three buttons undone in chemistry lectures in a conservative locale, resulted in my being fired from my college teaching position. It affected my second one the same way. I have been unemployed since 1998, but am happily married to a medical doctor (nickname from us being a pair of doctors), and have two great adopted children, a boy aged 7 and a girl aged 4. These kids are NT, so I may post a thread about that interesting dilemma. "How does an Aspie raise NT kids?"
I have an IQ of over 150, but much less mature social skills. I accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior in 1973, and have served Him since. My most recent trial (Aspies--don't try THIS for a disruption to your routine! Leave it to the "experts" :D) was emergency open heart surgery on December 12th 2007--yes one month ago--to repair a flail central posterior leaflet of my mitral valve (the valve between my left atrium and left ventricle). It was a total surprise. December 9th I was healthy with a weird feeling in my left carotid (neck) artery and was nearly dead by December 12th because of nearly total pulmonary collapse from edema and heart failure. By God's grace and the excellent work of Dr. Huerd of Boise, Idaho, I'm alive and here today. Depression is a problem, though, so prayer would be appreciated. May God bless all who read this.:wave:

Reactions: JamiArch
Upvote 0

joris

Jan 11, 2008
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Uhm okay - yea, I was also diagnosed as having AS, about uhm, two years ago?? seems that must be wrong, but it isn't ...
I don't think IQ was tested, wouldn't know it (maybe as a child or so). Sometimes am told I'm intelligent, dunno...

(Hope I'm not spamming, haven't read all of the thread before posting...)

Upvote 0

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm a self-diagnosed Aspie. Sadly, I'm pretty unpopular with religious types, men, and women due to my intense focus and studies on ethics, morality, sociology, and sexuality. A lot of my views are very eccentric and in the minority.

Ah well. Jesus was singled out, too, back in the day. That brings me comfort, at least, and makes me appreciate my uniqueness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JamiArch

Jan 20, 2006
Long Beach, California
✟7,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have Aspergers as well. Here are a few things I like to do: read, crochet, sing, listen to music, use the computer, and hang out with my friends and my boyfriend. I have a hard time saying things and I hesitate when people ask me questions. I guess that goes with Aspergers.

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
I have Aspergers as well. Here are a few things I like to do: read, crochet, sing, listen to music, use the computer, and hang out with my friends and my boyfriend. I have a hard time saying things and I hesitate when people ask me questions. I guess that goes with Aspergers.
Yes, I sometimes have the idea of something in my head and I'm not very good at describing sometimes, or explaining how to do something. I know in my head how to do it, but can't tell someone else how.

Upvote 0