Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
My mother and I did not know you could report mis use of the tithe. However, my mother actually disagrees. She says they need as much money they can get to keep up the church, there are very few members and there are bills to pay.

We're supposed to pay tithe, scriptures in the Old Testament support. We give God 10% of our income.

*The church leaders are misusing the tithe, and if they are misusing
the money that's being given, then that's part of the reason the bills aren't
being paid and other folks aren't joining the church etc.

If financial misdeeds are known and not addressed or, even worse,
covered up, then that may require you to join with other believers
and request appropriate authorities to investigate the situation.
Your decision to leave could eventually hinge on the outcome of the investigation process and subsequent responses by fellow believers.

Your offerings/tithes etc...
You can set aside tithes until the investigation is completed or you
can give the money to a reputable Christian charity.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept.
The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5).
In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent, not the 10 percent which is generally considered the tithe amount today.

The principle in the New Testament is to give voluntarily to support the needs of others (Acts 2:45; Romans 15:25-27), support Christian workers (1 Corinthians 9:11-12; 1 Timothy 5:18), and expand Christian outreach (Philippians 4:15-16).
No specific amount is ever commanded, and no percentage is suggested.
While a tithe or tenth of one’s finances may be a good standard to use for Christian giving, it is clear the early church did not focus on a specific amount but rather on meeting needs.
This sometimes included giving much more than a tenth, as some
believers sold homes or land to meet the needs that existed in the church
(Acts 4:34-37).

Supporting "the church"...
“Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

(sources: Bible, got questions org., and word truth.org)

Upvote 0
R

RickardoHolmes

There are many charities, Christian or otherwise, to which we can donate.
I prefer charities which hand over the largest amount of donations to those whom they serve, with lowest administration costs.
The local faith based charity which I support has less than 8% operating costs. That means 92 % of all money goes to providing food, clothing, medical assistance, education to the neediest of the needy in the community. Many churches supply cvolunteers to help keep the costs down. Many churches sponsor food drives and serve as a donation drop-off site as well. I have no second thoughts or hesitation about supporting these good people.

I had a similar situation long ago, and have since stopped tithing to any one church. I have found that I prefer to know where the money I donate goes, and I want to see it going to charitable works.

There was a church, in the town where I used to live, that years ago, at the onset of the great recession, opened their doors to feed anyone who was displaced as a result of the financial times. Anyone could eat for free, no questions asked. Most of the recipients were families, homeless or indigent. All food was paid for through donations. After checking it out, I started a regular monthly donation to them. I never once ate there, never once attended a service, and other than to check out their story, never once went back there. But I was glad to know that I was helping them help those who need it most.

I donate to a university annually. My late uncle was a professor and has a scholarship fund named after him. Students may use the money in this fund, based on need, and a demonstration of good grades and a record of social/charitable volunteer work, including church involvement. Many of the recipients are in fact active members of a church.

But charitable giving does not stop there. I donate through memberships to local museums and arts organizations. Of course, there is my kid's school, I seem to always be buying something for them to use. No big deal.
I also donate to a local Buddhist monastery, who uses the money for feeding the needy and providing education/scholarships to students who do not have enough money to attend otherwise. I have been very impressed with the charitable nature of these monks. They are truly loving people.

In all, I easily donate over 10 percent of my income. And why not? What good is the money I make unless I use it to help those who need it.
Items such as a fancy car, jewelry, expensive clothes, and the like to not satisfy me. What satisfies me is knowing that I have done something to help out another human being. I once had a Catholic priest point out that "God loves the poorest, most wretched looking person just as much as he loves you" We all know God works in mysterious ways, for me, that calling is to help others. I have found it to be a win win situation.

SO in closing, you should tithe where your money goes to work in that which is most admirable. I have no desire to pay for a building, or someone's salary, when there are starving children around. Think about what it is that YOU value the most, and put your money to work in that area. Find a church or an organization that reflects your values and beliefs, and work to help them in their ministry.

Amen.

Reactions: parsley
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
There are also organizations like volunteer ambulance companies that tie in with the heart of tithing in ways people never think of. It is very borderline-spiritual, but the tithe (not offering) was kept in the grain silos to feed whoever needed feeding. It was a service to the community, very similar to how we pay taxes now for those services to be managed by our local governments.

It's a stretch, I know. But pray and listen. Trust that God will help you direct your choices.

The local faith based charity which I support has less than 8% operating costs. That means 92 % of all money goes to providing food, clothing, medical assistance, education to the neediest of the needy in the community.
Great list.
About the budget efficiency ... one time I asked a local shelter if they were on the nonprofit clearinghouse list our employer solicits donations for. The shelter said they turned down the donations because the cost of compliance was higher than the amount they would receive!

And some of these organizations are run with very highly-paid executives.

I have a problem with large ministries that keep many volunteers busy on phones, taking large donations that end up in leaders' hands... while the volunteers work for free because they believe in the cause. Fiscal irresponsibility can take so many forms.

(The volunteers are still doing what they believe to be true -- it's the use of funds and attitudes of leaders that reveal problems.)

Upvote 0

Christian Soldier 777

Sinner, saved by Grace!!
Oct 24, 2012
United States
✟8,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a member of a local methodist church and I watch video messages online from a church a few states away. The online church's branches are still not close enough for me to attend.

I love the online church and I believe that is what the church should be like. They have groups for all sorts of people, like Men, Women, students, and etc. People go on missions through them, they have their band and music, and they have all kinds of activities to worship God.

The local methodist church, well, is better than some churches around here but not what I believe a church should be.

The last time I paid tithe to them, the woman leader SNATCHED the money out of my hand really fast and did not say thank you or anything. She and her husband oversee everything in that church. I also found out they are not using the tithe money the way it should be used and on other things.

Also, the people in that church are very rude. The woman leader is rude and ugly towards me and my mother, she likes to look back us and laugh at us. She has been ugly toward my mother on a few occasions. She is not the only one. One of the church's few young men likes to do the same and talk me and my mother and laugh at us. He goofs off in church and is constantly being rude and ugly.

They are very inconsiderate. I am a member and they did not want to give me a Sunday School book, though the books are just gathering dust. The many pastors that preach at the church complain about lack of control and how controlling the woman leader is. One of them even told me that the reason why this church is dying and losing members is because of the rude woman leader. That's why I believe when pastor rotation comes up, most of them leave and we end up with a new pastor every year.

So, which church should I tithe to? The nice church a few states away which I watch online or the local church filled with those types of politics?
Hello Faith, First, know that tithing does not have to be to a church nor does it have to be a financial tithe. When you give a financial tithe it should be from your heart and should go to whatever God places in your heart, whatever it may be!! As long as it Glorifies God through Jesus. Give to a Charity, Give to a Christian TV station, Give to a Christian Radio station, Give to the homeless,,,etc. Do it because this is the way Jesus would want us to tithe. You can also tithe your time, prayers or support for another....as long as it bring Glory to God through Christ! If someone thanks you, tell them to thank Jesus and give Him the Glory† God Bless You!!!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You should tithe to the church you are a member of first because you made a commitment there.
As I noted in my first response, there's something to be said for continuing to give something to the church so long as you are a member, but there is NO obligation (or reason) for tithing to it.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
here (below) is the original instruction on the tithe; have a party in the place the Lord chooses, invite those less fortunate than you are, and don't forget the wine, strong drink, and other things that 'your soul lusteth after'.

think about this a minute; if you were to save 10% of your gross income all year and then throw a big party for your family, neighbors, and the homeless near you, with a focus on praising and thanking God for all the goodness he has shown you throughout the year; would this be a testimony and encouragement to people of how good your God is? would it make your personal testimonies of God's goodness more believable as you interact with your family, friends and neighbors throughout the year? and that really big bash every three years - doesn't this reflect the true nature of God's goodness? how much joy would this produce versus the traditional use of the tithe? did God later change His mind (Mal 3:6) so that your tithe is no longer for you to enjoy, but is now to be given to people that might use it for things you might not approve of such as stained-glass windows or choir robes, or buildings that will stand empty most of the time as the homeless sleep hungry under nearby bridges? what if the church was a group of people that met in their homes and rented the local fire station for a party every year, and rotated throwing the 3 year tithe party at their homes on a regular basis so that there's always a celebration of God's goodness going on - what if people who wanted to go to church could just stop by the nearest believer's house rather than wait on the church building to be unlocked on Sundays and Wednesdays? what would that be like - Acts 4?

nah; that can't be what these scriptures mean...can it?

Deu 12:5-7
(5) But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:
(6) And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
(7) And there ye shall eat before the LORD your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the LORD thy God hath blessed thee.

Deu 12:10-12
(10) But when ye go over Jordan, and dwell in the land which the LORD your God giveth you to inherit, and when he giveth you rest from all your enemies round about, so that ye dwell in safety;
(11) Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD:
(12) And ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God, ye, and your sons, and your daughters, and your menservants, and your maidservants, and the Levite that is within your gates; forasmuch as he hath no part nor inheritance with you.

Deu 14:22-29
(22) Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
(23) And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
(24) And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
(25) Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
(26) And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
(27) And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
(28) At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
(29) And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Upvote 0