✟1,158,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jonah preached condemnation upon the city of Nineveh

Jonah 3:6 When word reached the king of Nineveh, he got up from his throne, took off his royal robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.

Did you mean that their sin was condemned? That would be correct. (of course a warning to people isn't a condemnation, but the sin is on the other hand condemned) Sin is part of what we mean by "actions", which we are allowed to judge. (actions can include choosing to lust after someone also, since it's a choice done).

We can condemn sin, but not the person. (the old "hate the sin, not the sinner")

Just like Christ -- he did not condemn the adulteress or the prostitute (John chapter 4 is one wonderful instance), but instead He taught them to turn to Him and to turn away from sin.

But notice this lesson in Jonah:

Jonah 3:10 When God saw their actions--that they had turned from their evil ways--He relented from the disaster He had threatened to bring upon them.
and then Jonah does want them condemned it seems!
Jonah 4:1 Jonah, however, was greatly displeased, and he became angry.

So, God has to straighten out Jonah about this wrong urge to condemn them.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
a person can only rightfully judge another person IF they have been given the authority to do so.

In that sentence there are three crucial words:
1. Rightfully
2. Given
3. Authority

if any of those words are missing in a situation where judgement is called for, then it's a no-go right from the beginning.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Not thinking God will forgive, is the one sin that leads to death.
The rest do not have to.
No.
There are many people who are never forgiven their sins. A list is found in the Apocalypse, and includes liars, perverts(gays), adulterers, idolators, who don't repent and even many who never even think of repenting of worshiping demons.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yeshua, YOUR words are wrong, not mine. Because you know GOD'S WORD says we must never lie if you say "That is not the truth" in response to "Lying for any reason is always a sin," you are a liar.
Wrong again, (still).
How many people God Calls Faithful, IN THE BIBLE, OT AND NT, 'lied' ? (And it was not sin.)
IN THE BIBLE.
GOD'S WORD IS TRUE, and cannot be broken.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Show me how it is possible for one of the Ten Commandments to not be God's word. If it is God's word it is ALWAYS a sin to lie, period. God's word never changes. The command to never lie is very simple and absolute. If you do not believe this, you are NOT a believer in the Bible at all because it could not be more obvious and you know what the text reads. There is no gray area in Scripture because God Himself wrote the Ten Commandments on the stone tablet.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The command to never lie is very simple and absolute.
oops....

I used to think there was a commandment to not lie also...... then I read the commandments..... (IN THE BIBLE) .... and I had already read about those

men and women in the BIBLE who did lie, and it was not sin....

So, first things first, better go read the commandments..... Then read in the BIBLE where GOD'S FAITHFUL PEOPLE LIED, and
think about this new information for a while.....

'selah'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is the verse I am talking about:

16“You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."

If that sentence does not mean, "You shall not lie," what does it mean? I was taught the commandment, which God wrote on a stone tablet and said through Moses, means lying is a sin.

God never changes. If lying was a sin then, it is still a sin now.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This is the verse I am talking about:

If that sentence does not mean, "You shall not lie," what does it mean? I was always taught the commandment means lying is a sin.
Read your own statement.

It does not say "You shall not lie" (not in Hebrew, not in Greek, not in Aramaic, not in English, not in Spanish .... not in any language I know of)....

So, why do you think, or WHO TOLD YOU, that it says "You shall not lie" ???? (obviously it does not say that)

AND, since Joseph, Mary, Moses, and others IN SCRIPTURE, FAITHFUL ONES, lied,
and it was NOT a SIN FOR THEM .....

then what ? Where did you get a commandment that says "You shall not lie" from ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't know who said it. That was just what I always heard.
True.
A LOT of traditions are that way also. When people read the Bible for themselves, they are surprised (if they are honest and seeking the truth and seeking God's Kingdom in Jesus) at how much they were taught all of their life that is not anywhere in the Bible).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe that it is possible to lie sinlessly if the alternative would be a greater wrong. For example in WW2 people hid Jews or aided their escape by lying to the authorities in order to save their lives.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
What does selah mean?

Selah is a Hebrew word that has been found at the ending of verses in Psalms and has been interpreted as an instruction calling for a break in the singing of the Psalm.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

This commandment is found in both Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 but not in any form in Exodus 34. This seems to refer to taking an oath and then lying in order to hurt a neighbbour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I believe that it is possible to lie sinlessly if the alternative would be a greater wrong. For example in WW2 people hid Jews or aided their escape by lying to the authorities in order to save their lives.

Hiding Jews in their homes is not lying to the Nazis. Failure to wear the Star of David necklace could have been though, depending on your POV.

Upvote 0