Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ok....I think I see the problem. Old timey racist theories did usually involve an element of superiority. The modern usage of racism doesn't.
Our use of words is important if we are genuinely trying to explore ideas together.

Simple racial prejudice and discrimination qualify as racism.
yes, agree.

For example, if a guy who owns a store says he doesn't hire black people because they're all lazy....he may not hate black people, he may not feel superior to black people, but he is making a negative judgement about them based on race.
Claiming that blacks are lazy and hence less likely to be good employees is putting superiority onto non blacks (perhaps whites). This is blatant racism, not just systemic.

One of the many commonly accepted racist beliefs in the medical profession is that black people have a higher pain tolerance.
I have no idea as to the truth of the above statement. Whether it is a common belief or whether it is actually true. Have there been scientific studies on this?
I think it would be an interesting question and it would be interesting to know why this might be the case. I wouldn't call this racist.

That's not a belief that other races are superior....it's not born out of hatred....it's simply a prejudiced judgement based on race.

The word for that is racism.

Do we agree on that?
No, I don't agree that pointing out some differences equates to racism.
If we state that blacks are more likely to have darker skin than whites, this isn't a racist statement.
If we state that blacks are less likely to get skin cancer than whites, this isn't a racist statement.

If we hypothesis that blacks are more likely to be better at explosive sports e.g. sprinting, boxing etc because we often see them excel in these particular sports, I wouldn't consider this racist. I would consider it interesting to try to understand why.
But it would be racist to reject a young promising boxer just because he is white and assuming he will not be able to cut it against his black counterparts.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Your claim is that cloth masks are not good enough for a deadly highly contagious airbourne virus.

What is the difference between a mask and a respirator?

(without evidence, without support of anyone qualified)

I constantly provide proof, and was a licensed professional utilizing SCABA/PAPR & APR.

What needs to happen is to reduce the R0 which is the rate of spread.

What is your dosing at or below IDHL? Above IDHL? Dry or vapor? Organic? Inorganic? ...... (question... question... question...) What is your point of gross contamination during dosing? Mucus membranes a threat? Skin contact/decon? On and on....

We are supposedly discussing a virus that is so completely devastating you need to shut down normal societal life.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Rather than trying to dazzle me with your grasp of Jargon, could we simply address the idea that if something has some effect then it might help reduce the rate of spread.

We are supposedly discussing a virus that is so completely devastating you need to shut down normal societal life.
The approach is to reduce the R0. Not to protect each and every person within society.
A practical solution is required. You're not going to get everyone wearing full on contagion suits.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To work with covid in a lab the CDC/OSHA requires a BSL-2 environment minimum. I touched on that here: X

Laboratory biosafety recommendations for SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

Training programs (certifications) list it as a level C response.

The stuff that is supposedly walking around in peoples bodies requires level C PPE to even work with. But you think paper masks are going to save you?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

1) It's not supposed to be a scientific experiment that predicts people's behaviour, and the idea that it was ever intended as such is laughable. It was a simplistic test that if taken honestly can reveal to the person being tested a subconscious bias. It doesn't rely on the answer at the end, the process is part of the result if you actually go into it with an open mind.
2) Of course there is a connection between behaviour and implicit bias, do you actually understand what implicit bias actually means?
3) Of course being aware of implicit bias means something. If you actually accept that you have implicit biases towards something you can monitor your own reactions in those situations and avoid negative reactive behaviour.
4) Fun fact, the only person who you would be cheating by cheating on the test is yourself! Seriously, its an internet based test with literally no consequences besides any you apply yourself. Why on earth would you cheat? Are you that insecure about your own potential implicit biases?

Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

No, of course they won't save you. If you're exposed to a heavy dose of the virus then you're going to catch it regardless. But what they can do is reduce a little the spread of the water droplets the virus is riding on, and reduce the chances of someone being exposed to a heavy dose in the first place.

Seriously man, how is this hard to understand? It's basic logic.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rather than trying to dazzle me with your grasp of Jargon, could we simply address the idea that if something has some effect then it might help reduce the rate of spread.

It is simple logic. The RO is just how infectious something is. But we have misinformation here. CV is large particle transmissible, not aerosol transmissible. Breathing, is not a large part of this viruses RO.

The particulates that do turn ariosloe are far too small to be blocked by either cloth or paper masks, and can still be inhaled by another person wearing a mask. It is far safer for me to walk into a store and "be avoided like the plague" since I do not have a mask on, then have people walking right up to me.

Washing/sanitizing your hands, taking a shower directly after returning from shopping, keeping people away from, social distancing....you will do far more than a mask can even pretend to do.

The approach is to reduce the R0. Not to protect each and every person within society.
A practical solution is required. You're not going to get everyone wearing full on contagion suits.

Wash your hands. Do not touch your face. Practice social distancing and you're good.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My reasons for resenting wearing pants as about as cogent as your reason for not wearing a mask.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Seriously man, how is this hard to understand? It's basic logic.

There are too many intentionally misleading things for me to take this seriously. Literary... stay away from me. That's all you have to do. Keep your distance. It is not airborne.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would expect people working in labs to use the highest of precautions.

But this is a very different approach in protecting a few scientists in a lab vs protecting a society of hundreds of millions of people. It is nonsense to equate the two.

The goal in society is to implement a practical solution that the common people will do and is affordable and usable.

People cannot go about their daily lives in protective suits. A mask is much less obtrusive, is practical and works to reduce the R0 of this disease spreading throughout society.

To spread the idea that masks don't work and hence should not be bothered with, is highly irresponsible and will lead to more deaths in society than would otherwise have been the case.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would expect people working in labs to use the highest of precautions.

The point you are not getting the mask is a placebo for even the wrong kind of transmission the public faces.

The goal in society is to implement a practical solution that the common people will do and is affordable and usable.

Annnnd... done!

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Freedom to what? Freedom to be ignorant? Freedom to die? Seems like a nihilistic notion of freedom.
I see you swallowed that bait and belived the popular narrative. That makes tightening the moose next time even easier. Don't worry, you won't feel a thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it's not... what threat response is polyester good for? Fire? Would it be better than nothing to misuse PPE's in a fire, or high heat situation?
You can breathe right through cotton. Try it when you can see your breath...um yeah, that's gonna stop a virus.

The SARS CoV-2 virus responsible for COVID-19 infection is 0.1 micron.
The CDC has published conflicting data on protection implied by cloth masks and/or surgical masks. Suffice it to say, the concern centers on a shortage of N-95 respirators and surgical masks during a pandemic, ensuring adequate supplies are available for health care workers on the frontline of this pandemic who require personal protection equipment.

Cloth masks are like 97 percent ineffective. But hey if it makes someone feel better...

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The point you are not getting the mask is a placebo for even the wrong kind of transmission the public faces.
The mask isn't a placebo at all.

What you are totally ignoring is the effectiveness in widespread use of masks to lower the rate of spread.
You won't even talk about this aspect, just keep on ignoring it.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You can breathe right through cotton. Try it when you can see your breath...um yeah, that's gonna stop a virus.
Noone is going to suggest people wear masks that stop them from breathing.

Cloth masks are like 97 percent ineffective. But hey if it makes someone feel better...
Yeah but, what are the actual experts saying, rather than random people on internet forums?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I know how you feel. When I go out in public I have to wear pants just because of other peoples' feelings and if I don't I'll be arrested. It's an unreasonable infringement of my liberty.
Actually you don't... you just can't be exposing certain areas.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single

The virus particles are indeed small enough to go right through a cloth mask. But the particles are carried in water droplets, which are quite large enough to be mostly stopped by the masks.

If the virus particles could readily spread through the air outside of water droplets, then practically everybody in Tokyo would have the virus by now. The subways alone would transmit the virus like mad. But look, the Tokyo residents are all wearing masks.

Upvote 0