Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem financially supporting pastors, teachers, evangelists etc. While Scripture - specifically New Testament Scripture - doesn't explicit say that pastors are to be financially supported by their flocks, in principle the following have been used to support this idea:

Duet 25:4
Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.

And reiterated in 1 Tim 5:18, "For the Scripture says, “Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,”[fn2] and “The worker deserves his wages.”

Jesus said, in Luke 10:17, "Stay in that house, eating and drinking what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house."

And the strongest supporting Scripture is 1 Cor 9:14:

Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. KJV

Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel. NKJV

In the same way, the Lord gave orders that those who preach the Good News should be supported by those who benefit from it. NLT

In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. NIV

In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. ESV

So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel. NASB

In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. RSV

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
that pastors are supposed to be paid by the church?

People make the bible say whatever they want . For me , it is up to each of the clubs to set up a policy for themselves . They usually decide to present a passage for their decision as if it is needed . But , they are always a bit forced . It would be better if the groups were more honest about it . But , they are their groups .

Upvote 0

Jeffwo

~ In His service ~
Aug 9, 2002
Mississippi
Visit site
✟16,230.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
that pastors are supposed to be paid by the church?
A couple scriptures have been mentioned but if you aren't comfortable going to a church with a paid pastor, I am sure there are many churches within driving distance you could go to which have volunteer, unpaid pastors.

You might even consider a house church. Or even start your own congregation?

Personally, I am connected with a group of 350-400 believers in a fast growing church. With that many people and buildings and business, I want my pastor to work fulltime and be paid well for his labor. I live one street over from my pastor and he is always busy from 7:30-8 a.m. to 11:00 or 12 at night. He works many more hours than I do.I can see the lights in their house from my front door and I know they are always up later than I am. It is a hard, stressful work with no recognition for it.

We just bought him a new vehicle (~$37,000) and presented it to him.

He is really a good sheperd and I am proud to serve God alongside him.

I hope and pray that God will lead you and your family where you are supposed to be.

Matthew 9:36But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

37Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

God bless you and give you peace,
Jeff

\0/

Upvote 0

HephzibahBenJudah

Daughter of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
Florida
✟128,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luk 10:3 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

Luk 10:4 Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.

Luk 10:5 And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace [be] to this house.

Luk 10:6 And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.

Luk 10:7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

Luk 10:8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:

Luk 10:9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

Luk 10:10 But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,

Luk 10:11 Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

Luk 10:12 But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

This is talking about His disciples and evangelism as well as "teaching" and Pastoring and Apostles who established churches.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I wondered this myself. Supporting Paul is not IMO the same as an in house pastor (Paul was a missionary, not a full time pastor to one church). Supporting missions is great and should be recommended.

I guess I think about this alot because the church I am currently in is struggling. There is a pastor there who spends an inordinate amount of time preaching the tithe (using scripture that irritates the crap out of me because it's not related to tithing at all - but that's another story all together). He makes 2x what I do (and I'm paid very well for this area) and his wages are basically breaking the church (I say this because when he came the church was large enough to support him and his wages, but his ideals and actions drove away over 70% of the congregation and now there's no way teh church can carry his salary, housing allowance and travel allowance).

I commented to my husband the other day "Why don't church bodies just charge admission?" They want you to given 10% of your income right? That's like going to a play every Sunday (cost wise - a NICE PLAY).... If you're going to preach on not having enough money, charge admission... BUT they'd say "This message needs to be free to everyone"... okay then... shut up on the tithe thing.

I guess my take is that God will support what He wants to see furthered, and the things He does not support will fail regardless of how many "tithe" sermons are given. KWIM? It's not that we shouldn't give or that we shouldn't recognize that 100% of what we have is His, but in being obedient to that, I don't feel we're required to give to a church body or support ONE pastor.

Personally I'd rather give to the Pauls of the world than to the money grubbers in my town.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me it is the same. A missionary is a mobile pastor.

Sounds to me like your church is already supporting the pastor but obviously not to your liking. Go find another church if you're not satisfied. Why weren't you part of the 70% driven away?

However, I believe that if a congregation won't provide for the pastor God provided for them, then they are dishonoring God, not to mention causing undue burdons on the pastor and their family. It's very selfish really.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To me it is the same. A missionary is a mobile pastor.

Sounds to me like your church is already supporting the pastor but obviously not to your liking. Go find another church if you're not satisfied. Why weren't you part of the 70% driven away?

However, I believe that if a congregation won't provide for the pastor God provided for them, then they are dishonoring God, not to mention causing undue burdons on the pastor and their family. It's very selfish really.
I don't see them as the same (pastor/missionary). My grandfather was a pastor so it's not lack of understanding the job. (just fyi)

Anyway, because I was not here before they all left and because I felt God put me there for a reason (though I question the need to be there now)

Saying the pastor is sent by God (100% of the time) assumes alot. He's been told numerous times by numerous guest speakers that God wants him to move on, and he has said it himself. I just see this as a product of his lack of obedience.

Reactions: NewSong
Upvote 0

NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no problem financially supporting pastors, teachers, evangelists etc. While Scripture - specifically New Testament Scripture - doesn't explicit say that pastors are to be financially supported by their flocks, in principle the following have been used to support this idea:

Duet 25:4
Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.

And reiterated in 1 Tim 5:18, "For the Scripture says, “Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,”[fn2] and “The worker deserves his wages.”

Jesus said, in Luke 10:17, "Stay in that house, eating and drinking what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house."

And the strongest supporting Scripture is 1 Cor 9:14:

Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. KJV

Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel. NKJV

In the same way, the Lord gave orders that those who preach the Good News should be supported by those who benefit from it. NLT

In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. NIV

In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. ESV

So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel. NASB

In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. RSV
Andry,

You always have had a wealth of information and thanks for the scriptures. It is so appreciated.

This is great thanks....

NewSong

Upvote 0

NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A couple scriptures have been mentioned but if you aren't comfortable going to a church with a paid pastor, I am sure there are many churches within driving distance you could go to which have volunteer, unpaid pastors.

You might even consider a house church. Or even start your own congregation?

Personally, I am connected with a group of 350-400 believers in a fast growing church. With that many people and buildings and business, I want my pastor to work fulltime and be paid well for his labor. I live one street over from my pastor and he is always busy from 7:30-8 a.m. to 11:00 or 12 at night. He works many more hours than I do.I can see the lights in their house from my front door and I know they are always up later than I am. It is a hard, stressful work with no recognition for it.

We just bought him a new vehicle (~$37,000) and presented it to him.

He is really a good sheperd and I am proud to serve God alongside him.

I hope and pray that God will lead you and your family where you are supposed to be.

Matthew 9:36But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

37Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

God bless you and give you peace,
Jeff

\0/
Well thanks for the response...That was quite an assumption...but accurate nonetheless....I will not leave. The preacher will leave before I do but I am not going to leave. He has done some very mean things to some folks and I am saddened by the fact that includes his own daughter...then took up Sunday School time to whine about finances for himself.

I had a dad for a pastor. I am aware of what God required out of my father. My dad was self-supporting and did not require church finances to support him. My dad was okay with this because his true vision was for the lost and for those whose lives were broken. I think my dad was a wonderful pastor but I cannot handle anymore of the begging pleas this guy made. I literally emptied my purse on the table and gave him all I had for money. I came home and got mad at myself for doing it too and felt that I had grieved GOD and that Sunday School was down the tubes.
Many of us want him to leave and want to vote him out, which is an option for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking we should agree on the wages of the pastor then only pay them 90% of it, it would save them having to worry about tithing.:);)

Sorry Newsong couldn't resist.
hehehe

pastors falling over and dying in droves

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I believe the bible say's that it all god's money and everthing is his. I can't fine anywhere were god say's the "church" owens anything.
You'd be hard pressed to convince church leaders of that I think. They can claim "this is God's" but then use funds for non-God things (i.e. let's improve the sanctuary while the parishoners in the back row can't afford food... lovely... just what God wants)

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

You'd be hard pressed to convince church leaders of that I think. They can claim "this is God's" but then use funds for non-God things (i.e. let's improve the sanctuary while the parishoners in the back row can't afford food... lovely... just what God wants)
Your right! They don't have it right. They are in the flesh angels (messengars) of light. This is way we have not see the greater glory talks about in the word. I love the word under your handle thats is 100% right!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.