When you apply your interpretation to others and God, do you consider Matthew 7:2?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you do consider Matthew 7:2 when interpreting the bible, how much does it influence your interpretation?

If you do not consider Matthew 7:2 when interpreting the bible, what is on your mind when interpreting and applying the bible to others?

Are concerned about being judged in the same way that you judge others?

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.​

It seems the passage you quote echoes the Lord's Prayer from the previous passage. It seems that we are called to be forgiving, and more interested in judging ourselves rather than others.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you do consider Matthew 7:2 when interpreting the bible, how much does it influence your interpretation?

If you do not consider Matthew 7:2 when interpreting the bible, what is on your mind when interpreting and applying the bible to others?

I do not consider it, as Jesus was definitely correcting Jewish folk, who didn't have a clue about His identity as their Messiah. God will not judge Christians based upon the judgment of others. That's a sort-of "tattle-tale" or "gotcha!" position.

The Holy Spirit is the ONLY revelator of Scripture. This is the Truth that is flowing as he reads to me.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I do not consider it, as Jesus was definitely correcting Jewish folk, who didn't have a clue about His identity as their Messiah. God will not judge Christians based upon the judgment of others. That's a sort-of "tattle-tale" or "gotcha!" position.

The Holy Spirit is the ONLY revelator of Scripture. This is the Truth that is flowing as he reads to me.
Is Matthew 7:2 a scripture? How does the Holy Spirit reveal its application to you?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We all make judgements about otherr people and situations.
How do you respond when stuck behind a slow car and can't get passed it?
You have poor service in a dinner, are you all sweetness and light inside or are you making a nasty judgement?

The point of the passage is about making a right/correct judgement and being prepared to accept that same judgement on ones similar actions.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Matthew 7:2 a scripture? How does the Holy Spirit reveal its application to you?
Jesus came to reveal scripture to the Hebrew folk. That revelation was for their redemption as a people group.
He pointed out to the Jews how foolish they were being in their daily encounters.

The Apostle Paul, via the Holy Spirit, revealed Scripture that is applicable to me as an individual. I do not need to attempt to merge a ministry for the Jewish folk with the one Jesus clearly ministered to me at the Cross: Salvation by Grace through Faith, plus nothing, when I believed.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We all make judgements about otherr people and situations.
How do you respond when stuck behind a slow car and can't get passed it?
You have poor service in a dinner, are you all sweetness and light inside or are you making a nasty judgement?

The point of the passage is about making a right/correct judgement and being prepared to accept that same judgement on ones similar actions.
So, if everyone applied this, would the world be a better place to live in?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came to reveal scripture to the Hebrew folk. That revelation was for their redemption as a people group.
He pointed out to the Jews how foolish they were being in their daily encounters.

The Apostle Paul, via the Holy Spirit, revealed Scripture that is applicable to me as an individual. I do not need to attempt to merge a ministry for the Jewish folk with the one Jesus clearly ministered to me at the Cross: Salvation by Grace through Faith, plus nothing, when I believed.
Okay, so long as you don't later tell me which scriptures apply to me, that's consistent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, if everyone applied this, would the world be a better place to live in?
Judgement of ourselves is a foriegn concept to most people. It is always other people who are 'sinners'.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Judgement of ourselves is a foriegn concept to most people. It is always other people who are 'sinners'.
Oh! I thought it was one of the marks of passing from childhood to adulthood that we recognised and own our own failings and took responsibility for our own actions.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In other words, I'm OK, it is the other guy who is not OK. Lots of us waste life, love, relationship's, God's Truth, wallowing about in that POV, excusing ourselves while condemning others. Far better that we examine ourselves while reaching out to others.

Thanks, Tolworth John. Well said.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh! I thought it was one of the marks of passing from childhood to adulthood that we recognised and own our own failings and took responsibility for our own actions.

Reread genesis 6 etc again. You will see a patten established there that we repeat everytime we are in trouble. Blame someone else.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Self examination is not a bad thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
If you saw your sister sleeping with her married neighbor you wouldnt call her attention to it? In confidence? W/out saying theyre jerks or stupid. Just a hey whats with that, its not a good idea what does the Word say. Paul gives guidelines on how to do this. Would you not expect the same? To be alerted to your sin by others? This is what its about not calling someone a jerk and asking them to leave the congregation for driving ten miles w/ his signal on.

Upvote 0