What's Wrong With Reformed Theology/Soteriology?

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Express the reformed doctrine of salvation as best as you can. Then I'll be happy to attempt to reveal how it is that it cannot be the mystery of salvation.
Sounds like you have your mind made up. I'm not here to teach you systematic theology. I started this thread to answer objections. If you have any, be specific.
TD:)

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like you have your mind made up. I'm not here to teach you systematic theology. I started this thread to answer objections. If you have any, be specific.
Why would it be necessary to teach anyone systematic theology? Could a child understand systematic theology? If one must be as a little child to receive the Kingdom of God, then why on earth, or in heaven, would we have need of it?

But, because you have a theology of salvation you claim that is sketched out in Scripture, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously not, since many will be cast into the lake of fire, and Paul says that unbelievers are blinded. Your idea sounds so great like humanism, but is not Biblical.
It certainly is. Christ died once for all. Not all respond.
1 John 2:2
He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grace and faith are together the gift of God. Faith comes by hearing the word of God - notice it says "comes." That means it's not conjured out of the wicked human heart, but it is put there by God through the working of His Spirit. The sealing of the Spirit is a different action than the gift of faith. So, I am praising God here, and not the human ego.
No one is praising the human ego. If fact, we know that only by humbling themselves will anyone be saved.
John 1:12 King James Version (KJV)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why would it be necessary to teach anyone systematic theology? Could a child understand systematic theology? If one must be as a little child to receive the Kingdom of God, then why on earth, or in heaven, would we have need of it?

But, because you have a theology of salvation you claim that is sketched out in Scripture, I wouldn't mind hearing it.
No one needs understanding of theology to be saved. All we need is to know that Jesus died for our sins. Yet, Peter declared that some of Paul's writings were hard to understand. Why is this so? Can you see that Paul's soteriology is to help Christians come to grips with the nature of their relationship with God? In this way, Christians can experience the deep blessings of their redemption. Without this, they struggle at best. We grow in both grace and knowledge of Christ and our salvation as we study the word.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It certainly is. Christ died once for all. Not all respond.
1 John 2:2
He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
For the whole world potentially, not actually or effectively. Only believers are bought, as the apostles testify as well as Revelation. This gets back to who becomes believers, which is those whom God chose to be, that is, predestined, and given the gift of faith by means of the gospel preached.

Note Acts 16:14: "One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul." Note it says that the Lord opened her heart to pay attention (believe, by implication, since she was baptized). This is an example of how God must do a spiritual work in individuals if any are to be saved. It's a matter of God's working, not of human reasoning.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No one is praising the human ego. If fact, we know that only by humbling themselves will anyone be saved.
John 1:12 King James Version (KJV)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
By saying it is according to "free" will (implying that the human will is completely detached from God, thus "free", and implying that such a will could actually produce a righteous choice), you are exalting the human ego.

And don't forget v. 13: "Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." Note it says "not of fleshly will" - that is, not out of the feelings of the human heart, and "not of man's will" - that is, not out of human reasoning. And "of God" - that is, it's God's decision.

Just as God didn't ask our permission to create us, He just did it, so also He didn't ask our permission to make us a new creation, He just did it. Of course, we are grateful, of course we are glad, of course we love Him now because of it, of course we choose to continue believing, and of course we do what is necessary to secure our place in His kingdom, because we now have the wisdom for it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Woke

Site Supporter
Oct 8, 2019
California
✟38,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is a real choice not predetermined? I think you have a tremendous philosophical obstacle to overcome here, because of these Biblical statements:
1. men do not come to the light because they love darkness
2. the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they cannot see the light of the gospel
3. those who oppose gospel truth are held captive by the devil to do his will
4. no one is righteous (that is, before believing in Christ)
5. the fleshly mind cannot submit to God
6. the world is under the control of the evil one

And there are many others. Rom. 3:10-18 ought to give us enough evidence that no one in their natural state is able to make any righteous decision in regard to what God considers righteous. And since faith in Christ is considered righteous by God, no unrighteous person could do it. Therefore, my statement can't be a straw man, because it is based on what scripture clearly teaches. God has to supernaturally bring an individual to life while they are hearing the gospel. That is what Eph. 2:5 means "even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)." God "made us alive" by His supernatural working. Because of His love He predestined us (Eph. 1:5), which is described in 2:5 as to how He did it. Therefore, God had to predetermine our faith and choice to obey the gospel, otherwise we could not be saved, and likely wouldn't even want it, since we would still be lovers of darkness.
Okay, I accept you didn't originate that other statement you claim someone else made, but that you simply repeated it, the false idea it is. But there is also no scripture that states this claim of yours, "God had to predetermine our faith and choice to obey the gospel."

The whole Bible from Genesis to the last scriptures in Revelation show that is not true. All who come to God and follow him, come to God and follow him for one reason only, because they choose to. No one made that determination except those individuals.

God lives with an ability to foresee the exact future, every event that happens within his creation. He rested over his creation in his activities towards creation or the Earth in the sense he established free-will inside it, and then let that free-will within all biblically intelligent creatures to shape his creation. God never stopped creating stars. He never stopped working on this Earth. So his rest did not mean he stopped creating or working on this planet. It means he established a time period in which he allows his creation to take an active part in becoming what it will become by their own choices. Some will choose God, other parts of God's creation won't. And we see that in angels and men.

Your teaching claims God is the one that determines who chooses him, and who doesn't. That idea not only contradicts scripture, it is not only unfair and cruel, it also has no rational purpose for existing inside God's plan. And God certainly is rational. God uses choice to separate those who really want to follow him from those who really don't want to follow him. That's his purpose. And that purpose could never be realized if God determined how intelligent creatures choose.

Also, God does recognize righteous acts done by those who do not already follow him. Remember the words of the angel to Cornelius.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No one needs understanding of theology to be saved. All we need is to know that Jesus died for our sins. Yet, Peter declared that some of Paul's writings were hard to understand. Why is this so? Can you see that Paul's soteriology is to help Christians come to grips with the nature of their relationship with God? In this way, Christians can experience the deep blessings of their redemption. Without this, they struggle at best. We grow in both grace and knowledge of Christ and our salvation as we study the word.
In my humble understanding, soteriology as presented by reforming theologians isn't anything like Paul's soteriology when properly understood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Woke

Site Supporter
Oct 8, 2019
California
✟38,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By saying it is according to "free" will (implying that the human will is completely detached from God, thus "free", and implying that such a will could actually produce a righteous choice), you are exalting the human ego.

And don't forget v. 13: "Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." Note it says "not of fleshly will" - that is, not out of the feelings of the human heart, and "not of man's will" - that is, not out of human reasoning. And "of God" - that is, it's God's decision.

Just as God didn't ask our permission to create us, He just did it, so also He didn't ask our permission to make us a new creation, He just did it. Of course, we are grateful, of course we are glad, of course we love Him now because of it, of course we choose to continue believing, and of course we do what is necessary to secure our place in His kingdom, because we now have the wisdom for it.
You misapplied these scriptures in your dialogue with the other poster. John 1:11"He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God."

The other poster was correct in stating it was the followers of Christ that chose him using their free will, not God's determination. When you quoted vs 13 and claimed that was not true you misapplied the scripture. What was born from God's will and not human will was God's will allowing these who choose Christ to become, "children of God."

HOW DO WE KNOW FOR SURE? AND WHAT SINGLE SCRIPTURE SHOULD PUT AN END TO THIS DEBATE?

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord does not delay the promise, as some esteem slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but all to come to repentance."

God desires all to repent and choose him. That's his will. But he does not do the determination about that choice for them. That God determines how intelligent humans, or angels, will chose regarding his sovereignty actually, as I said in the post above, contradicts scripture, is cruel and unforgiving, and has no logical reason to fit into God's purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the whole world potentially, not actually or effectively.
If you take off your calvinist glasses for an instant, you will realize how ridiculous that sounds. To say that Christ died for all, but at the same time, that a few are irresistibly chosen for salvation is bizarre and makes the verses that say "all" nonsense. If I tell you I am offering a gift to all the people along the road and yet I walk by 90 percent of them without even acknowledging their need, you certainly would think it was silly of me to say I offered my gift to all.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note Acts 16:14: "One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul." Note it says that the Lord opened her heart to pay attention (believe, by implication, since she was baptized). This is an example of how God must do a spiritual work in individuals if any are to be saved.
No one is saying God doesn't do a spiritual work in people before they are saved. We call it conviction or preveniant grace. God can open my heart to pay attention and I am quite capable of closing my heart to his conviction. I regrettably have done it plenty of times before and after salvation. That verse certainly doesn't prove irresistible grace.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You and Dave keep saying this as if it means something. It's just your theologies human reason and is opposed by literally hundreds of verses that claim God is just in punishing people because they resist him.
Acts 7:51You stiff-necked people with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit, just as your fathers did.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you take off your calvinist glasses for an instant, you will realize how ridiculous that sounds. To say that Christ died for all, but at the same time, that a few are irresistibly chosen for salvation is bizarre and makes the verses that say "all" nonsense.
Unfortunately, quite a few people who denounce Calvinism misunderstand the T-U-L-I-P points, or some of them at least. That's happened here on this very thread with other people. The result is that the two sides are engaged, but they aren't speaking the same language.

• Agree
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just as God didn't ask our permission to create us, He just did it, so also He didn't ask our permission to make us a new creation, He just did it. Of course, we are grateful, of course we are glad, of course we love Him now because of it, of course we choose to continue believing, and of course we do what is necessary to secure our place in His kingdom, because we now have the wisdom for it
Why do you think we can choose after salvation, but have no choices before? We can in fact, choose to cease believing. We can in fact, become apostates.
Matthew 24:10 9Then they will deliver you over to be persecuted and killed, and you will be hated by all nations on account of My name. 10At that time many will fall away and will betray and hate one another, 11and many false prophets will arise and mislead many

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, quite a few people who denounce Calvinism misunderstand the T-U-L-I-P points, or some of them at least. That's happened here on this very thread with other people. The result is that the two sides are engaged, but they aren't speaking the same language.

I've had plenty of Calvinists explain all the points to me and they are still as opposed to scripture as ever..

Upvote 0

Woke

Site Supporter
Oct 8, 2019
California
✟38,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"No one needs understanding of theology to be saved. All we need is to know that Jesus died for our sins." (another poster's comment)

The Devil knows Christ died as a result of coming to Earth to save humans. False Christians know that also. See matthew chapter 7. There read just one place among many stating that it is not true that knowledge saves us.

"I'm saved because I know Christ died for my sins " is an apostate teaching. If it was true those scriptures I cited in Matthew chapter 7, Christ's own words, are a lie. So do we believe the false teaching or Christ? Also, all the epistles are a lie, if all we need to know is that Christ died for our sins to be saved.

The idea sounds nice, a tickling of the ears, for those who wish no accountability before God for themselves. But it is a teaching producing death to some ignorant people who believe it.

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord does not delay the promise, as some esteem slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but all to come to repentance."

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I accept you didn't originate that other statement you claim someone else made, but that you simply repeated it, the false idea it is. But there is also no scripture that states this claim of yours, "God had to predetermine our faith and choice to obey the gospel."
Yet scripture clearly states that "in love, He predestined us to adoption as sons."

The whole Bible from Genesis to the last scriptures in Revelation show that is not true. All who come to God and follow him, come to God and follow him for one reason only, because they choose to. No one made that determination except those individuals.
According to Rom. 3:10-18 (and many others), no one made that determination, this is why God had to make it. Rom. 9:16 clearly states "So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy." I challenge you to carefully examine the context and see that it's talking about salvation.

God lives with an ability to foresee the exact future, every event that happens within his creation. He rested over his creation in his activities towards creation or the Earth in the sense he established free-will inside it, and then let that free-will within all biblically intelligent creatures to shape his creation. God never stopped creating stars. He never stopped working on this Earth. So his rest did not mean he stopped creating or working on this planet. It means he established a time period in which he allows his creation to take an active part in becoming what it will become by their own choices. Some will choose God, other parts of God's creation won't. And we see that in angels and men.
God is not a mere prophet who sees the future from a time distance, and has no control of it. God knows the future because He is intimately involved with it. What you are trying to do is deny that Christians are predestined to be so.

Your teaching claims God is the one that determines who chooses him, and who doesn't. That idea not only contradicts scripture, it is not only unfair and cruel, it also has no rational purpose for existing inside God's plan. And God certainly is rational. God uses choice to separate those who really want to follow him from those who really don't want to follow him. That's his purpose. And that purpose could never be realized if God determined how intelligent creatures choose.
Unfair and cruel is your judgment because of your bias. According to many verses of scripture like 2 Cor. 4:4 the world (that is, unbelieving individuals) are blind and can't understand the gospel because they are in Satan's control. It takes a supernatural act of God to free an individual from that bondage.

Take note of Acts 16:14 where Lydia's heart was opened by God to believe, and thus she paid attention and was baptized. Acts 13:48 clearly states that "all who were appointed to eternal life believed." The problem with your idea is that you are trying to make predestined into not predestined, by making it a matter of natural autonomy. That philosophy is humanistic by nature and not Biblical.

Also, God does recognize righteous acts done by those who do not already follow him. Remember the words of the angel to Cornelius.
God had already chosen Cornelius and his household, and that's the reason for his righteous acts. All he needed was for Peter to preach the gospel, and he heard and believed. God had already prepared their hearts.

I do not deny so-called righteous acts done by unbelievers, this is why religion is so deceptive. Many people give to the poor because they think it's right, or because giving alms makes them feel good, or seems to justify them in their feelings. But such acts are useless to God, according to Rom. 3:10-18. All unbelievers, regardless of how righteous they appear have the wrath of God hanging over their heads. Therefore, if you think that God chooses people because they do righteous acts according to your assessment, then you are deluded. There is only one way to salvation, and that is by faith alone, by grace alone, by Christ alone. And not in addition to man's autonomy.

• Agree
Upvote 0