What's the weather like where you are? (10)

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's because Juneau; is way down the coast from the main part of Alaska:
acdb12aa-72ce-458b-8b65-6e7df217fed4.png

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll just say that I'm glad that I live in the Southwest instead of the Mid-West or Mid- North West. They have a winter storm coming in that is forecast to result in -50F wind chill. That's COLD!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Furnace advice for us:

-12 degrees for a high! This has never in the history of weather records happened here.

Understand that if these temps hold true it’s very likely many homes will experience heating issues. One of the most common calls I expect to get is that something is wrong with my furnace because the house temperature is falling at the thermostat. That won’t necessarily indicate an issue. We don’t design furnaces for the load your home is going to experience this week. If your furnace was designed to maintain 70 degrees at an outside temperature of 0 then any thing below that temperature and your furnace will not be able to keep up. It will run non stop but you will continue to lose temperature. Many people should expect home temperatures to fall into the mid to lower 60’s during the 96 or so hours of extreme arctic blast. Also if you set you furnace temperature back while sleeping or at work to save energy DON’T do it this week. Put your thermostat into a “hold” mode because your furnace might be able to barely maintain in these extremes but it will not be able to catch back up!

Pray.gif Praying_11.gif
for everyone facing these conditions!

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's 39F and mainly cloudy here today in Central Oklahoma. I think that most of the big freeze will miss us here in the Southwest. Those in the path of this big freeze will be in my prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Rooftops looked like they'd been iced. My neighbour's evergreen tree appeared to have been sprinkled with caster sugar, the cobbles on the garden seemed to be frosted and the crocus were shooting up through a blanket of white. It snowed today!
:sohappy:
I'm like a kid when it snows, but if we have it cold and wet we might as well have it looking pretty too. :D However it didn't settle on the roads, so hopefully no disruption to traffic.

They keep promising snow but we haven't had it yet...:)
I imagine you must have had it too today, mp? :)

We have had pleasant weather lately, but as from today the whole country is set to suffer a heatwave, as the hot air from Australia's heatwave is heading our way. As was the case for the Australians, people here in NZ have been warned not to do anything that will create sparks because of the high danger of fires round the country and to take steps to remain hydrated and as cool as possible.

Furnace advice for us:

-12 degrees for a high! This has never in the history of weather records happened here.

Understand that if these temps hold true it’s very likely many homes will experience heating issues. One of the most common calls I expect to get is that something is wrong with my furnace because the house temperature is falling at the thermostat. That won’t necessarily indicate an issue. We don’t design furnaces for the load your home is going to experience this week. If your furnace was designed to maintain 70 degrees at an outside temperature of 0 then any thing below that temperature and your furnace will not be able to keep up. It will run non stop but you will continue to lose temperature. Many people should expect home temperatures to fall into the mid to lower 60’s during the 96 or so hours of extreme arctic blast. Also if you set you furnace temperature back while sleeping or at work to save energy DON’T do it this week. Put your thermostat into a “hold” mode because your furnace might be able to barely maintain in these extremes but it will not be able to catch back up!

View attachment 250198 View attachment 250199
Joining in prayers for Australia in the heat, and NZ that they will not suffer from it, and for Phoebe Ann and others who are suffering from the extreme cold. :groupray:

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Better send that cartographer back to school --- preferably a Canadian school in BC or Alberta.

Oh; did they get some of the BC towns out of place? That's from an old bus route from the 40's-50's so I wouldn't doubt it; I was just looking for a map to show the N. American upper pacific coast.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh; did they get some of the BC towns out of place? That's from an old bus route from the 40's-50's so I wouldn't doubt it; I was just looking for a map to show the N. American upper pacific coast.

Yes, both Jasper and Banff are in Alberta but right on the BC border.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2.30 pm and hot out there. I was going to end that sentence with again, but frankly, we had a stultifyingly hot night last night as well. Indoors out of it is the name of the game today. In the meantime, thinking of those who are dealing with shockingly cold weather right now. :pray:

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rooftops looked like they'd been iced. My neighbour's evergreen tree appeared to have been sprinkled with caster sugar, the cobbles on the garden seemed to be frosted and the crocus were shooting up through a blanket of white. It snowed today!
:sohappy:
I'm like a kid when it snows, but if we have it cold and wet we might as well have it looking pretty too. :D However it didn't settle on the roads, so hopefully no disruption to traffic.

I imagine you must have had it too today, mp? :)

Joining in prayers for Australia in the heat, and NZ that they will not suffer from it, and for Phoebe Ann and others who are suffering from the extreme cold. :groupray:

Love your description of the snow over there, Sue. It sounds so lovely. :)

Thanks, Sue and others, for prayers for us here in NZ. There are quite a few people in NZ who are saying things like, "It's just summer! Not a heat wave! This isn't news!" etc, but for many, if not most NZers, high 20s and low 30s celcius is too hot. :D There was a time when I found 24C too hot. Now it sounds almost cool. ^_^

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Furnace advice for us:

View attachment 250198 View attachment 250199

We used to put up blankets to the windows and towels at the bottom of the doors; when it got below zero in N. Minnesota years ago. Even now days with the well insulated houses; you still loose a lot of heat out the windows and at the bottom of outside doors.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love your description of the snow over there, Sue. It sounds so lovely. :)

Thanks, Sue and others, for prayers for us here in NZ. There are quite a few people in NZ who are saying things like, "It's just summer! Not a heat wave! This isn't news!" etc, but for many, if not most NZers, high 20s and low 30s celcius is too hot. :D There was a time when I found 24C too hot. Now it sounds almost cool. ^_^

30's--C? that's 86F -- I thought you meant hot; like over 100F+ 38c+! :D

I have seen people putting on sweaters and long sleeved shirts; when it dipped to 85F; after a couple of weeks of triple digit temps.:eek::)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30's--C? that's 86F -- I thought you meant hot; like over 100F+ 38c+! :D

I have seen people putting on sweaters and long sleeved shirts; when it dipped to 85F; after a couple of weeks of triple digit temps.:eek::)

:D Yes, I've gathered over the years here in CF that our idea of hot and cold temps varies greatly from what Americans consider hot and cold. *nods* But we (my family and I) simply couldn't stand the sort of heat you get over there, mnorian. :eek: :help: In the meantime, the forecasters are promising a drop in temps by the weekend. Hope they have that right! ^_^

Upvote 0