✟8,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Short version answer:
Prayer tunes your heart to the signal of His.
Like a radio station that is getting interference has to be tuned to receive what the station is broadcasting. We must "tune in" to understand and have a relationship with Him.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No.
God does not punish us for our sins; that's why Jesus died.

Your opinion disagrees with scripture.

"But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you (1 Corinthians 11:28-30, NKJV)"

If God punished us by making us ill, or whatever, every time we sinned then a) we'd all be constantly ill

If you sin constantly then you need to repent since sinners will go to Hell. Only those who shun evil and do good will be saved.

" Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. (John 5:28-29, NKJV)"

b) Jesus would have died for nothing.

Jesus did not die to give you a license to sin. His death showed God's love and mercy and made grace available to all who believe and obey Him.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your opinion disagrees with scripture.

It's not my opinion; it's Scripture.
Jesus died for our sins, Romans 5:6-8.
He was the Lamb of God who takes away he sin of the world, John 1:29.
His blood was poured out for the forgiveness of sin, Matthew 26:28.
He gave his life as a ransom for many, Mark 10:45.
He laid down his life for the sheep, John 10:11.
He was made sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21.

"But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you (1 Corinthians 11:28-30, NKJV)"

That does not say that God punishes us for our sins by sending us sickness.
Paul was writing to the Corinthians, who were disrespecting the Lord's Supper and not honouring the rest of the body of Christ. They were treating the Lord's Supper like their own personal feast - eating and drinking as much as they wanted; even getting drunk, rather than waiting for everyone to arrive before starting the meal and making sure everyone shared in it equally. There was inequality in the church and I'm not surprised some were weak - the whole body is weakened when some insist on acting as individuals and doing their own thing.

If you sin constantly then you need to repent since sinners will go to Hell. Only those who shun evil and do good will be saved.

We don't sin constantly, but we are still sinners. We don't become perfect when we are born again, or there'd be no further need for confession. We are being sanctified - made holy - by the Spirit, 2 Corinthians 3:18, but are not there yet. No one has perfect thoughts, words, actions, desires, subconscious thoughts 24/7; if God sent an illness upon us every time we thought or said something wrong, we'd be constantly ill.

How would it work anyway? One bad thought = a headache? 3 bad thoughts = a migraine? A bad action = a stomach ache? Lose your temper = a broken bone? Etc.

Jesus did not die to give you a license to sin.

I never said he did.
I have no desire to deliberately sin, but I'm still not perfect; no one is.

Upvote 0

DontMindMe211

Nov 26, 2016
England
✟9,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Even if there was no point in praying, we should absolutely do it just because our creator said to do it, and Yeshua also said to do it. But thank God there is a point in praying and benefits in praying. Praying bring something you closer to God, if you pray with pure motives God will hear you! It may be hard to see some of the changes praying brings but we should trust that our Lord is working and hearing our prayers to him.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because when we feel the spirit of the Lord through our saviour Jesus Christ he knows what's in our thoughts and he leads us beside still waters, it's so our souls can be restored. For example he knows my nephew "Jacob is poorly" and he knows I know that Jacobs soul is full of the spirit of Christ. Praise be to Jesus our Lord and saviour.
Even if we don't "feel" he is with us..
Faith is not feelings based. If it were..it would not be faith.
As to the Op topic.
Its a question not inspired by God but by doubt and unbelief.
The word pray means "to ask earnestly " and we ask for that which we know is ours to have. Everything the Lord Jesus has inherited.for he makes us co-heirs with Christ.
To even suggest (as the Op does) by mild insinuation that prayer may be pointless is a string of unbelieving doubt thoughts opposed to the truth and instructions of the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ive been thinking about this a lot. Im not sure about praying at all. I mean I get told to pray and God will answer my prayers but if he doesn’t its Gods will…..but he’s still listening….. Or im told if I have enough faith, If I truly believe my prayers will be answered….

This is all christian rethoric to avoid having to answer for why 99% of prayers are not answered.

Remember that jesus teaching on prayer is very different than standard christian pratice.

He said, praying for stuff, thats what the gentiles do, we seek the kingdom first and all the others are added.

I know very few christiasn that belives this and practice it lol. They all ask for stuff :) Literally the opposite of what jesus taught.

So james say "you pray, but have not, becaue you pray wrong". so thats the answer, christian prayers are plain wrong.

All the jewish disciples of jesus had prayed for thigns ll their life, it wa part of their culture and religion and upbringing. Jesus said, when u pray, belive u are given it beforehand, then you will have it. No one had prayed like that before, and no one udnerstood it, not even today do christians udnerstand this.

Faith is not something u have to do or have a lot of, it is the opposite of that. If i am given all things before hand, why eve pray for anything? Imagin having such a revelation of gods mercy that you know you already are seated with christ in heavenly places? what would prayers even do in such a place. This is what jesus is teaching us. It takes revelation to get it, but its available to all who seeks the kingdom first. I mean its been in the bible for all to read for 2000 years.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So..you kinda got back to my original point. Its pointless to pray for anything. Except to give thanks etc like some said here. But pointless of appealing to God when you need him coz his mind is already made up and pointless other people saying they will pray for you.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So..you kinda got back to my original point. Its pointless to pray for anything. Except to give thanks etc like some said here. But pointless of appealing to God when you need him coz his mind is already made up and pointless other people saying they will pray for you.

1. It's not pointless to pray. Prayer impacts God.

Luke 18:1-8 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up...

2. His mind is not made up.

Exodus 32:14 So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people

3. Not pointless to pray for other people.

James 5:16 ...pray for one another...

As I said in my earlier post, prayer makes a difference. It affects the spiritual atmosphere. The change is usually most notable within a person. But God still heals sickness today as well. It is good to pray!

Most importantly, God loves us SO MUCH. He has given us responsibility. It is our job to invite Him into our world. To begin, we first enjoy the pleasure of receiving His Spirit into our hearts. Jesus has made this possible. When we repent of living for our own selfish purposes, confess Jesus as Lord, and receive His salvation, we join with God Spirit to spirit. The Spirit in us then teaches us how to pray.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

See, you don't know what his mind is made up on or not so it's not pointless. And to add other things involved, the rest of my post here probably covers a lot of what's already been covered but might help in what we can ask for to begin with. If what you are asking God for is beyond those bounds, then you are correct...it may be pointless.

Not sure if anyone here asked or you volunteered examples of what you are asking and are not granted, and though I understand if you want to keep that to yourself, knowing those things might help in addressing the issue.

This is all christian rethoric

Yes, some of it is.

He said, praying for stuff, thats what the gentiles do,

What exactly did he say about the Gentiles? That praying for stuff was not cool, as you say? or was it something else:

And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
(Matthew 6:7 ESV)

I use the ESV there because you offer no reference, so I assume that verse is where you get your thoughts (If I am wrong, please correct me). The original verse is about the heathen, but assuming you are correct, still it is not about "praying for stuff" but about the wacko way they did pray.

However, praying for stuff in selfishness which I'm sure is what you are saying, is a problem as you say.

A few things we know for certain:

We can pray for stuff if the cause is just and not selfish. On the other hand, for instance, what if a family could not afford a traditional Christmas dinner for themselves or their kids like other people have? That goes beyond our daily "needs" but, I can easily see that being granted. If in doubt, ask, all he can do, is say no. :)

Biblical examples to get to the bottom of this.

Christ prayed he would not have to bear the pain of the cross.....not granted because god had other plans.

Christ prayed to "forgive them, they know not what they do"....we don't know if that was grated or not, at least we don't have direct knowledge of it, but it was certainly one of the most unselfish prayers I've ever seen.

In effect, Moses prayed the waters part. That was granted in order to implement gods will/his plan for those people.

I'd guess these verses have already been mentioned, but they pretty well cover what spirit we should pray in and deal with the OP as well as it can be dealt with: And that doesn't mean those prayers will always be answered, but if any prayers will be, it's the ones asked in the right spirit.

James 4:3 - Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume [it] upon your lusts.

Don't ask for it to rain Skittles from the sky, or for a new Mercedes, when any car can help us do Gods will/get us to work and back.

John 15:7 - If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

1 John 3:22 - And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

Someone who really doesn't know God, might say they prayed, it didn't get answered so they no longer bother with God/prayer. We have to be in his will, or he has to like how we are acting, within reason. There may be exceptions to that rule other than this, but the prayer of repentance by the heathen, is definitely heard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What exactly did he say about the Gentiles? That praying for stuff was not cool, as you say? or was it something else:

And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
(Matthew 6:7 ESV)

I use the ESV there because you offer no reference

No, i was referring to matt 6: "
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
"

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We can pray for stuff if the cause is just and not selfish.

It's not about selfishness or not at all. In the passage i quoted jesus says not to seek these things becaue god already knows we need it. Its a very different way of faith. He didnt say it was selfish to seek it, just that its pointless and lack of faith (see context, he calls the ye of little faith)

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd guess these verses have already been mentioned, but they pretty well cover what spirit we should pray in and deal with the OP as well as it can be dealt with: And that doesn't mean those prayers will always be answered, but if any prayers will be, it's the ones asked in the right spirit.

I take it that all your prayers, or at least far the most, are answered, then.

When you are sick, and u ask for healing - as its promised in the word that god will heal just as much as he will forgive all that asks him - then i take you re ALWAYS healed. am i right? Its very harsh to convince a very sick person taht seeks god for his healing that he is selfish. How are we going around that, not to pray for our own healing and not be selfish? Well, peter tells us to remember that by his stripes we were healed. So whyis God going back on his word then, as it is a fact that most christians prayers for their own healing are NEVER answered? Is it god that says no, youre to selfish? Definitly it is not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

Thanks for clarifying and as I indicated, I have no argument with that.

It's not about selfishness or not at all. In the passage i quoted jesus says not to seek these things becaue god already knows we need it.

We are just going to have to disagree there. Though he does know our needs, and for me, he covers most of that without my asking, except to say I actually do ask as ordered by Christ in asking for our daily bread or for God to cover our daily needs in the lords prayer. There are still things on top of that, things we may ask for others, or all sorts of stuff. Now if you are going to say he knows all, no matter what, then you are headed in the direction of why pray or say a thing? I do that not only because Christ said to, but on the oustide chance men are wrong and god doesn't know all we will think or do, and I might need to tall him what I want and why I want it.

I really don't know how to put it, to me it's just obvious that if we ask for things in selfishness, it's not going to happen, so again, we'll just have to disagree..

I take it that all your prayers, or at least far the most, are answered, then.

When you are sick, and u ask for healing - as its promised in the word that god will heal just as much as he will forgive all that asks him - then i take you re ALWAYS healed. am i right? Its very harsh to convince a very sick person taht seeks god for his healing that he is selfish. How are we going around that, not to pray for our own healing and not be selfish? Well, peter tells us to remember that by his stripes we were healed. So whyis God going back on his word then, as it is a fact that most christians prayers for their own healing are NEVER answered? Is it god that says no, youre to selfish? Definitly it is not.

You are assuming I think asking for healing is selfish, I do not. selfish is selfish, as in things not needed.

As far as all my prayers being answered/always healed, I'm not sure how to take the questions...it almost sounds like a challenge or you're refuting something I said, but I don't know what.. Probably best you clarify a point there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As far as all my prayers being answered/always healed, I'm not sure how to take the questions...it almost sounds like a challenge or you're refuting something I said, but I don't know what.. Probably best you clarify a point there.

well, it can be easily proven that healing is a covered promise just like forgiveness.
So since i assue you do not see selfishness as a problem with asking god for healing, i take it - since you say this is the right way to ask - that you are always healed when u ask for healing?

If not, then i see only two options. God does nto want you to be healed - which would be contranry to his word.

Or - youre not right. If God still dont answers prayers that he has promised to answer, and its not in selfishness, and it IS within gods will - then either you are always healed or you are jsut talk - it doesnt really work :D

Pls understand, im making a sharp point, not accusing u of anything personally. Im in a good mood, trust me.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Ive been thinking about this a lot. Im not sure about praying at all. I mean I get told to pray and God will answer my prayers but if he doesn’t its Gods will…..but he’s still listening….. Or im told if I have enough faith, If I truly believe my prayers will be answered…. So Im thinking well wait… when I was in trouble and asked for Gods help …. And something bad happened …does that mean God was…well what…was it just Gods will that I just have to suffer... Or I didn’t ask hard enough or believe..…or was it that God heard but decided he wasn’t going to intervene or couldn’t intervene. So what was the point of praying because if its god will and so…well what is he going to be like…well I was going to let you suffer but since you asked for help then fine…I will.

And then I get angry when people say they will pray for me or I hear lots will pray for me …and I get frustrated because its like…well what are you all telling me – If I ask God and he says no then..Ok he says no but then maybe if you pray for me or ask…or lots pray for me…then maybe he’ll change his mind and be like..Ok well when Zoii asked I wasn’t going to but since all u lot asked….. Why does lots praying make a difference – If its gods will then not even one person asking will change it so why would two or three etc.

I know this sounds maybe disrespectful but im not meaning to be….

I truly understand where you are coming from. I too get nauseated when people tell me they will pray for me, even though I do not show it and do accept their feeble attempt. Some intercessory prayer is evident in my life, but that's few and far between. Personally I look to Jesus who should be our example in all things. He prayed all night in Gethsemane many nights for His disciples. He prayed until He sweat blood. Have you ever prayed all night?

Lately I have been noticing my own prayers are becoming hollow, and are going no further than the ceiling, but this does not discourage me. I keep telling myself to pray longer, sometimes I do and it helps a lot. I have prayed all night on several occasions and suggest that all Christians make a habit of doing it once in a while. The blessings of communing with God in prayer are immeasurable.

The biggest discouragement about prayer is believing, which is not really faith. Many say "believe on the Lord and you will be saved". This is a cop out, our belief has to be turned into knowing. We must grab hold of our wants and desires which we ask God for and know by faith, not only believe, that God will give us everything we ask for, and goo on with our day as if what we ask for has been given. This is faith. I know this is hard to fathom and even harder to carry out but when we get on our knees knowing that when we confess our sins they are all gone, and that is the only time God will hear us and give us the things we ask of Him, as long as we ask according to His will. This statement from James has been very helpful to me, even though sometimes I try to rush through my prayers and forget to give it all to God, or I want to do something to earn His gifts. James:1:5-7: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, it can be easily proven that healing is a covered promise just like forgiveness.
So since i assue you do not see selfishness as a problem with asking god for healing, i take it - since you say this is the right way to ask - that you are always healed when u ask for healing?

But you were making that same point when you thought I did see asking for healing was selfish. Seems I'm not going to be right here either way. :)

Like I said, we definitely disagree on some things, and probably best leave it at that.

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But you were making that same point when you thought I did see asking for healing was selfish. Seems I'm not going to be right here either way. :)

Like I said, we definitely disagree on some things, and probably best leave it at that.
cop out. :p i want to show you that this line of thinking is not biclical and will leave all christians in the swamp of unanswered prayers but having a doctrin that defends it!!!
its not right.
And no, i did actually not assume asking for healing was thought by you to be selfish, i merly pointed out that its hard to say to a sick person that has asked for healing but not been healed, that his prayers are selfish.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0