☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive been thinking about this a lot. Im not sure about praying at all. I mean I get told to pray and God will answer my prayers but if he doesn’t its Gods will…..but he’s still listening….. Or im told if I have enough faith, If I truly believe my prayers will be answered…. So Im thinking well wait… when I was in trouble and asked for Gods help …. And something bad happened …does that mean God was…well what…was it just Gods will that I just have to suffer... Or I didn’t ask hard enough or believe..…or was it that God heard but decided he wasn’t going to intervene or couldn’t intervene. So what was the point of praying because if its god will and so…well what is he going to be like…well I was going to let you suffer but since you asked for help then fine…I will.

And then I get angry when people say they will pray for me or I hear lots will pray for me …and I get frustrated because its like…well what are you all telling me – If I ask God and he says no then..Ok he says no but then maybe if you pray for me or ask…or lots pray for me…then maybe he’ll change his mind and be like..Ok well when Zoii asked I wasn’t going to but since all u lot asked….. Why does lots praying make a difference – If its gods will then not even one person asking will change it so why would two or three etc.

I know this sounds maybe disrespectful but im not meaning to be….
Excellent question. I haven't read all the replies. There is much to say, sorry if I double up.

First, I've found prayer most effective to my inner world rather than my outer world. As well as asking God to keep me safe, I pray for God to give me wisdom, patience etc. Prayer gives us and others spiritual help in our spirit. Rather than stopping a tree falling on our house, prayer might enable us to think quickly when we hear it falling.

Second, there is a spiritual realm coexisting within our physical world. Prayer can request action in the spiritual world. An example in the Bible of the spiritual effect of prayer is in Daniel 10:12-13. Daniel prays, God hears and sends an angel to Daniel, but the Angel takes a while to get there. Why? Because the spiritual forces of evil were trying to stop the Angel from coming.

Third, God does not make every little thing happen on the earth. The earth has been given to man (Psalms 115:16). We are responsible for making changes in the earth in attempt to bring heaven to earth. God doesn't always have the authority to act in situations. When we pray we attempt to give God the opportunity to act. This is why Jesus taught us to pray "Your will be done on earth". Because His will is not being done.

Fourth, God doesn't make a car space free for us, but He may lead us in a particular direction such that we find the best spot. However, this would be the RARE case. More important than this is how God will give us patience.

More to say but enough for the moment.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By reading the Lord's Prayer, I learned I may ask for my daily bread. In studying Christ's teachings, I learned if I have more than enough bread and see one hungry, thin and destitute, I should share some of my bread with the one who is hungry. Prayer should be two way communication. God hears the prayers of the righteous. The righteous heed the instructions of God.

If you learn and practice the Gospel teachings, you should notice some progress.

The good Samaritan was there for someone in need. This one was commended by Jesus.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ive been thinking about this a lot. Im not sure about praying at all. I mean I get told to pray and God will answer my prayers but if he doesn’t its Gods will…..but he’s still listening….. Or im told if I have enough faith, If I truly believe my prayers will be answered…. So Im thinking well wait… when I was in trouble and asked for Gods help …. And something bad happened …does that mean God was…well what…was it just Gods will that I just have to suffer... Or I didn’t ask hard enough or believe..…or was it that God heard but decided he wasn’t going to intervene or couldn’t intervene. So what was the point of praying because if its god will and so…well what is he going to be like…well I was going to let you suffer but since you asked for help then fine…I will.

And then I get angry when people say they will pray for me or I hear lots will pray for me …and I get frustrated because its like…well what are you all telling me – If I ask God and he says no then..Ok he says no but then maybe if you pray for me or ask…or lots pray for me…then maybe he’ll change his mind and be like..Ok well when Zoii asked I wasn’t going to but since all u lot asked….. Why does lots praying make a difference – If its gods will then not even one person asking will change it so why would two or three etc.

Prayer is about God enlisting us in what He is doing. Also, some prayers take time. I prayed for many years for my Christian soul mate; And then one day God had brought her into my life. Also, when I met her it was not easy. We had a long distance relationship for five years and she lived in another country. But our situation led Us to pray more to God for each other so as to be together. We have recently married a few months ago. So God is good and faithful. But you have the have faith in Him. There are good things God can do in your life. But it has to be in line with the good things within His Word and you have to never give up on trusting in God that He will bring it to you.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Develope a relationship with the Lord like you would anyone else.
You would not start asking someone for anything when you first meet them? (Unless y r a homeless person or in a war).
Then you may understand praying, which is different things at different times. Their are many kinds or prayer...
BUT ALL will be empty if you don't know the person y r praying- speaking with.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well no I dont chant...i do it all in my head...like a conversation from me. I dont go to church when anyone is there. I just go when everyone is gone n sit by myself
When I was a young girl I loved going to church when no-one was there. There was a church a couple of blocks from my high school. And when I became an adult I visit my church when it was empty except for the Lord. It sounds like you are on His Path.
Maybe you hear the sound of a different drummer, like I did

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prayer isn't optional:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you

Philippians 4:6-8

do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

There is no magic formula for prayer. We are supposed to pray about everything. We know if we ask according to His will He hears us and answers our prayers.

1 John 5:14-15

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.

Don't get discouraged, instead pray and ask God to help you to pray according to His will. My advice is to start praying Gods word over situations, because He has made powerful promises in His word. Don't let prayer be something you do to get things out of God, let it be something that deepens your relationship with Him and advances His Kingdom.

I am not saying do not pray for yourself. After all, the scripture tells us that He longs to be gracious to us and wants to give us the desires of our hearts. In the Lords prayer we are told to pray for our daily needs and for our daily protection, although it is good to note the Lords prayer starts with worship and acknowledges His Kingdom and our obedience to Him. Just don't let yourself be the focus of your prayers. The Lord and His Kingdom should be the focus of your prayers.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think it could be compared to a father and a son. They're family and the father will take care of his son no matter what, because he loves the son, but the son can rely on the father and seek help and advice from him. And anything that seems good to the father will be given to the son. I know this simple illustration falls short, but the point is that communion ought really to be rooted in love.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ty everyone
When I sit in church when its empty I just talk in my head. TBH I dont even know if its praying or even if Im talking to god or just running thoughts in my head. But I like the coolness and stillness of the church. I dont know that I have a relationship with god...maybe I dont which is what many of your were gently trying to point out. But I'll keep at it.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ty everyone
When I sit in church when its empty I just talk in my head. TBH I dont even know if its praying or even if Im talking to god or just running thoughts in my head. But I like the coolness and stillness of the church. I dont know that I have a relationship with god...maybe I dont which is what many of your were gently trying to point out. But I'll keep at it.
He hears you :)
You are beginning to get to know Him :)
He already knows you!
May you sense His peace and Spirit as you pray!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't think it's disrespectful at all. I think it's a difficult topic and it's right to ask questions.

My prayer life is far from good and I still have a lot to learn. One thing I have been trying to remember though is that prayer is not primarily about asking for, and "getting" things. We seem to have the idea that we pray for something and if we get it, then our prayers have been answered and God heard us. Personally I believe that God always answers prayer, it's just that sometimes the answer might be "not yet" or even "no". This is difficult for some Christians to understand and you may hear the teaching that God always wants to say "yes" and bless us; we just have to ask in the right way. But I don't see God as some celestial Father Christmas, nor is he a machine where you have to push buttons to get various items.

The other thing that I try to hold on to, though it isn't easy, is that we may not always see how our prayers are being answered. We pray for people to know Christ, and it seems as though they're not. But we may never know how many individuals are challenged, have a chance to hear the Gospel, are converted, go out on to the mission field etc etc just because someone has prayed.
When it comes to personal prayers for healing, that is more difficult. There are people who say that when you pray you should expect Jesus to heal - instantly. And if he doesn't, then you don't have enough faith. But that makes it all about the sufferer and having to DO things to earn God's favour and get him to listen. Some people are healed instantly when they pray; I don't know why that is, other than that's how God chooses to act in that situation. I had M.E for 18 years, went to many healing services, read books and had discussions, mostly on these forums, about healing. Yet one day someone said to me "God wants to heal you", and that was it! Did he "leave me ill" for 18 years to teach me things? I don't know - although that is what happened, and they were things I would not have learned without the illness. God's ways are not our ways, and his timing, though always right, is different than ours too.

In itself, though, prayer is simply coming to our heavenly Father and saying "I'm worried about this, I know you can solve/help with it, please will you do so?" It's talking to God, telling him what's on our minds/in our hearts, asking him to act, or bring strength and healing and trusting that he will do just that. Prayer also involves listening and thanking God for, or recording, his answers.

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Prayer has positive results in the sense that it can send you on a dopamine high, but it's not very practical. God will do whatever God want's to do. I think it's very silly especially when someone asks you to pray for someone specifically. It's all very self-serving, self-righteous jibber mostly. You know what I do? I pray for the whole world at once and usually in about 3 or 4 sentences. Still not really effective, because God will still do whatever. So, you should pray, but only because God told you to.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Zoii. You had some good answers, and my answer is:God always answers when it is good for us. God is Love,and God wants loving sons and daughters. To pray does not only give us an opportunity to our questions, God also wants us to show our love and devotion. In Matthew 22;35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is:
Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself."
In verse 40 we are told: " In those two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," we have to give up all selfish wishes and ask for Love and Joy to share it with our brothers and sisters. Matthew 7: 7-10;: tells us: Ask and you shall receive, then we thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbours. ( neighbours is all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends) We keep on doing this and God will greatly Bless us. To pray to our Heavenly Father is most important, we show our love and care. I say this with love, Zoii. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray for the whole world at once and usually in about 3 or 4 sentences.
A good prayer.
If we would all prayer it, it might be effective.

Can prayer be likened to a cup of Water? Where are we going to pour it? One cup spread over the whole world? One cup over our family? One cup over our friends? Where will it be most effective? Does a righteous person hold a larger cup with more Water? But sometimes, even the largest cup of Life seems not enough... yet other times, even a small cup is enough!

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ty everyone
One major point in prayer that has not been utterly overlooked in the responses is being thankful for who He is, the type of character He has, the mercy He has for us. God is not a vending machine where a person puts his prayer in, hits a button and gets their candy out. It builds and will substain a relationship over time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
One major point in prayer that has not been utterly overlooked in the responses is being thankful for who He is, the type of character He has, the mercy He has for us. God is not a vending machine where a person puts his prayer in, hits a button and gets their candy out. It builds and will substain a relationship over time.

Thank you for your message, Jesus is our Lord and saviour

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Prayer is not just about petitions. Prayer is our relationship to God. If we see God as the answer man to our problems, then we will be disappointed in the answers. But if we see God as a friend and lover, our prayers won't be about using God but loving God. I have had many petitions answered that were never asked simply because he knows my needs before I have them and I know he loves me. Is it wrong to ask for petitions? Of course not. We are told to do so. But they are asked in the spirit of knowing that while he is our friend he is also our father and king. And father knows best.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0