Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The electric company called and said our electricity will be shut off beginning at 10 AM for about two hours. The guy said there was an emergency situation. It was an actual person that called, but I still thought hmmm, is this real? Sad isn't it? It's hard to trust even a good service phone call these days. The other day in Sunday School one of the ladies said it was a shame, how us older folks, who've been through lots in life, would never have thought that we'd have to be suspicious of so many things. We talked about how people used to leave their doors unlocked during the day and their windows open at night. My husband and I do leave the back and side doors unlocked, but not the front or garage doors. And we do have the bedroom windows open at night when the weather permits. Guess I got off on a tangent. ;) Checked with my neighbor and she got the same call. Can't help but wonder what the emergency situation is though.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I live in a quiet neighborhood now and keep my doors locked. I've kept my doors locked since the seventies when I lived in another state. My bro.-in-law was an evil man who would just walk in unexpectedly unless my doors were locked. When my sister visited w/him...never mind I won't go there.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Talked to a person calling ? That is unique.

RescuedOne, what brand of metal frame glasses were you able to get? Do you like them?

Last visit they said we've got fun frames! Not durable, discounted, money-back guaranteed, high quality, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

RescuedOne, what brand of metal frame glasses were you able to get? Do you like them?

Last visit they said we've got fun frames! Not durable, discounted, money-back guaranteed, high quality, etc.

They are titanium, Elliott-Ivey brand. I don't have them yet. The metal frames are recommended if you don't want them to keep sliding down your nose. The plastic frames I've had the past two years are driving me nuts! I don't have any transportation to go in for adjustments. My ophthalmology exams are FREE so I don't mind paying for the lenses and frames.

And I hadn't heard of Cocoons Fitovers, so I bought some of those. My daughter can't wear Cocoons brand because they're polarized and give her headaches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I did! Thanks for asking. Had the exam Wednesday. The doctor has a machine that photographs the back of the eye. He showed me the spots in both eyes that indicated cataracts and he said they'd grown. Too soon for surgery though. Did get a prescription for new glasses and got those ordered.

I couldn't find a thread like it here, so just decided to try starting one. Sometimes there are things to talk about that don't fit anywhere else. ;)

Going to a new church is hard sometimes. And when you think about it that's strange. It's just another place where like-minded Christians worship. The small church I attend is on the verge of closing, which is happening to so many these days. It's a bit of a drive, like yours was, but there are a couple nearby that we can go to if need be. But it's still difficult to think about. Yay for your neighbor! That's always good to hear.

Hope your hip feels better and it's nothing serious.
Thanks for your comment. I've not heard about the result of the X-ray of my hip, so presumably it isn't anything serious, but it prevents me walking very far. I'm due to start physiotherapy next week though.

I am enjoying the new church but part of me feels slightly disorientated. However it's great to meet with other Christians who live in the same town as I do. I hope you find a church where you feel the Lord wants you to be should your current one close.

Yes, it is good about my neighbour. She has been struggling to get to church because of health issues, but wants me to do a Bible study with her. I'm thinking of doing Luke.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
words make no difference. Jesus

This is where I’m at today and it’s on my mind and prayers.

I went out and I talked more to the new guy. I went out and I talked less to my best friend. He just loves to talk so much. I am a listener at heart. So I listened and tried to talk. I’m just not a talker. If the story ended here I’d be OK.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I went out and I talked more to the new guy. I went out and I talked less to my best friend. He just loves to talk so much. I am a listener at heart. So I listened and tried to talk. I’m just not a talker. If the story ended here I’d be OK.
Are you okay now after pondering what he said?

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Being a listener is a lost art. Most people want to talk. About themselves, their kids, their grandkids, what they watch on TV, their new car, their vacation, politics, etc. People are so self-involved these days. It's difficult to carry on a conversation about anything neutral. I think being a listener says more about a person. I personally am not a talker, can't do chitchat. And I've found that many people talk so much they don't notice when I don't talk! But I learn a lot by must listening. ;)

I'm sure your friend appreciates your listening ear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

It is, isn't it? Most of what we actually answer are robo-calls. Normally we don't answer anything we don't recognize. But to have a real live person on the other end is amazing. ;)

Oh for the days before cell phones. I can remember back to party lines... Today most people wouldn't know what that was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your comment. I've not heard about the result of the X-ray of my hip, so presumably it isn't anything serious, but it prevents me walking very far. I'm due to start physiotherapy next week though.

Hope the therapy helps. My husband had arthroscopy on his knee recently, will need replacement sometime in the future, everything inside was either ragged or worn to the bone. Strange pictures! The doctor didn't send him for therapy. Just gave him printed instructions with exercises to do at home.

I am enjoying the new church but part of me feels slightly disorientated. However it's great to meet with other Christians who live in the same town as I do. I hope you find a church where you feel the Lord wants you to be should your current one close.

Sounds like a positive experience so far. ;) Our membership is shrinking from the few we have. Old folks with health problems, no young people. The sad side of modern churches.

Yes, it is good about my neighbour. She has been struggling to get to church because of health issues, but wants me to do a Bible study with her. I'm thinking of doing Luke.

That's a wonderful thing to do. Luke is a good Book. The gospel writers each look at things from a different perspective, they each include various aspects that make their gospels unique. Luke is easy to read and since he was a physician he looks at things from a different background than the others.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's been a nice day today. Got home from church and put a turkey breast in the oven. We had turkey sandwiches for supper. There's nothing better than a good turkey sandwich. Unless it's a leftover meatloaf sandwich. Or tuna salad on fresh white bread. Mmm. Or PBJ. ;)

Wandered around the back yard, filled the bird feeders and the bird baths. Have six little green cherry tomatoes, that I know of, and a few winter squash about the size of a quarter. And the johnny-jump-ups are coming up! Also the moonflowers.

Only hit 78 today, was in the low 50s this morning. Yep. A very nice day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's been a nice day today. Got home from church and put a turkey breast in the oven. We had turkey sandwiches for supper. There's nothing better than a good turkey sandwich. Unless it's a leftover meatloaf sandwich. Or tuna salad on fresh white bread. Mmm. Or PBJ. ;)

I agree! People who haven't tried meatloaf sandwiches are missing out! I had to stop eating canned tuna years ago. I even liked it in pasta salads. But it started causing digestive issues for our youngest daughter and me. I like turkey a lot.

Wandered around the back yard, filled the bird feeders and the bird baths. Have six little green cherry tomatoes, that I know of, and a few winter squash about the size of a quarter. And the johnny-jump-ups are coming up! Also the moonflowers.

Only hit 78 today, was in the low 50s this morning. Yep. A very nice day.

I love yellow summer squash, all winter squash, and moonflowers!

Computer is acting up!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree! People who haven't tried meatloaf sandwiches are missing out! I had to stop eating canned tuna years ago. I even liked it in pasta salads. But it started causing digestive issues for our youngest daughter and me. I like turkey a lot.

Meatloaf and mayo on white or wheat sandwich bread. :) Yum. It's a great way to use the leftovers.

I've begun buying the pouches of tuna instead of the cans, which sometimes seem to have more water than tuna!

I love yellow summer squash, all winter squash, and moonflowers!

I think this is spaghetti squash, which I've never tried. I lost the little tab that gave the specifics. I picked up a couple 4-packs of yellow and zucchini that were on sale at the garden center Friday and got them planted. Hope I didn't wait too late on those. Also some pepper plants.

Computer is acting up!

They tend to do that don't they?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gah!

I opened the semi-annual bill for our car insurance and was aghast. We have two cars (not anywhere near new and will go to just one sometime in the foreseeable future) and the bill went up by over $170. Basically by $30 a month. We called and were told the rate hikes had been held back during Covid (yes, our bills actually went down a bit) but had started to be raised a few months ago. We supposedly missed out on the increase on our January bill so now we're paying the price (pun intended). Oh well.

Anyway, we were told we weren't doing their safe driving thing, with a tool you put in your car that tracks your driving and mileage, so we decided to do that. It's supposed to save up to 30% on insurance cost. Depending on such and such.

Is anyone doing something like this with their company? A number of them offer it, I know. Just wondering.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our company asks how much you drive per year when they set your rates. Less for less driving. You suppose the gadget is going to keep track of that? It’s so easy to tell them you are only driving 15000 and then drive more. Charge less than snoop on you? Get my drift?

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our company asks the same thing. We don't do much driving anymore, so we've been getting a small discount there. Plus a discount for having home insurance with them. The gadget keeps track of how you drive, such as braking, turning corners, speeding, phone use while driving. It asks for a beginning odometer reading and then one before the next billing. I told my husband it's another way for Big Brother to spy on you. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0