Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've seen a thread like this in several other forums and thought it might be nice to have one here! (Or maybe there's one here, but I couldn't find one.)

What's on my mind today? I have an eye exam on Wednesday. My last two exams indicated I have small cataracts. Nothing that needs surgery as yet, as they haven't grown. The main problem I have is really bad halos at night from car headlights, street lights, etc. So I just don't drive at night. The sun also seems overly bright and is a pain sometimes. Along with that I have floaters. Not sure if that has to do with cataracts?

Wondering how long some of you might have experienced cataracts before your docs decided they were ripe for removal; and what symptoms you had??

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I've seen a thread like this in several other forums and thought it might be nice to have one here! (Or maybe there's one here, but I couldn't find one.)

What's on my mind today? I have an eye exam on Wednesday. My last two exams indicated I have small cataracts. Nothing that needs surgery as yet, as they haven't grown. The main problem I have is really bad halos at night from car headlights, street lights, etc. So I just don't drive at night. The sun also seems overly bright and is a pain sometimes. Along with that I have floaters. Not sure if that has to do with cataracts?

Wondering how long some of you might have experienced cataracts before your docs decided they were ripe for removal; and what symptoms you had??

Have you had your eye exam godisgardener? How did it go? I hope you've been given the help you need. I've not had cataracts, but I think my optician did mention floaters once. They also said that there was a chance of glaucoma, but I went to the hospital, was given some ointment and discharged after a couple of check ups. I use eye drops daily though for dry eyes.

Nice idea for a thread. I don't think we've done it before. :)

I have so many things on my mind, but some good ones are that I've started going to a new Church. The previous one is too far away now that I don't drive, so I'm happy that I've found a lovely one five minutes walk away. A neighbour came with me the first time, and she is coming back to the Lord and has just started reading her Bible again; praise God.

A less happy one is that I've hurt my hip which is a real nuisance as my legs are my transport. I'm really missing going out for long walks. I had an X-ray about a week ago so I should get the results soon.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Have you had your eye exam godisgardener? How did it go? I hope you've been given the help you need. I've not had cataracts, but I think my optician did mention floaters once. They also said that there was a chance of glaucoma, but I went to the hospital, was given some ointment and discharged after a couple of check ups. I use eye drops daily though for dry eyes.

I did! Thanks for asking. Had the exam Wednesday. The doctor has a machine that photographs the back of the eye. He showed me the spots in both eyes that indicated cataracts and he said they'd grown. Too soon for surgery though. Did get a prescription for new glasses and got those ordered.

Nice idea for a thread. I don't think we've done it before. :)

I couldn't find a thread like it here, so just decided to try starting one. Sometimes there are things to talk about that don't fit anywhere else. ;)

I have so many things on my mind, but some good ones are that I've started going to a new Church. The previous one is too far away now that I don't drive, so I'm happy that I've found a lovely one five minutes walk away. A neighbour came with me the first time, and she is coming back to the Lord and has just started reading her Bible again; praise God.

A less happy one is that I've hurt my hip which is a real nuisance as my legs are my transport. I'm really missing going out for long walks. I had an X-ray about a week ago so I should get the results soon.

Going to a new church is hard sometimes. And when you think about it that's strange. It's just another place where like-minded Christians worship. The small church I attend is on the verge of closing, which is happening to so many these days. It's a bit of a drive, like yours was, but there are a couple nearby that we can go to if need be. But it's still difficult to think about. Yay for your neighbor! That's always good to hear.

Hope your hip feels better and it's nothing serious.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever noticed... that the bigger the cars and pick-ups get, the smaller the parking spaces are made?

I drive a Chevy Trax, a smallish car, and at some of the newer lined parking lots there's barely space left between the lines on each side when I park. And heaven forbid I end up finding the last space, or come out to find cars parked on both sides! Or one of those pick-ups with monster wheels. Sometimes I can barely squeeze into my car.

I try to park as far away from the door of businesses/stores as I can, with no other cars around. Usually when I come out, people have parked on both sides of me, and we form a little island in an otherwise almost empty lot.

Must have something to do with Murphy and his laws.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I've had floaters for years but don't notice them anymore. I see my ophthalmologist tomorrow afternoon. I have cataracts.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've had floaters for years but don't notice them anymore. I see my ophthalmologist tomorrow afternoon. I have cataracts.

I've had the floaters for quite a while. Mostly they're not too bad, but at times they get worse.

Hope your appointment goes well. It's nice that doctors can follow the growth of cataracts and treat them. One of the good things about modern technology.

I hope to get my new glasses sometime this week.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've had cataracts in both eyes since my mid-forties. Wednesday morning I go for my bi-annual check up with the eye doctor to see if cataracts have grown or not. They also check for inflammation due to my thyroid.

I hear people say the doctors wait until the cataracts are "ripe" to remove them. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's great, I had my eye exam this morning. The cataracts have grown since last and the Dr thinks surgery is now a possibility due to how the cataract is affecting vision lately.

That sounds great. I've heard so many people say how much their vision improved after the surgery. Before my mother had hers done, she couldn't tell some colors apart. Thought pinks were orange, etc. Once wore two different colored shoes to church, one black and one navy blue! And the surgery is so much simpler than it was years ago.

Upvote 0

Gidgx

Truth Seeker
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2006
✟658,590.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow , colours for me are usually muted. Black and darker blues are a problem for me too.
Also when it's sunny out, my eyesight gets blurry and I see a distinct smug when looking at things. Dr says I'm actually seeing the cataract.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Wow , colours for me are usually muted. Black and darker blues are a problem for me too.
Also when it's sunny out, my eyesight gets blurry and I see a distinct smug when looking at things. Dr says I'm actually seeing the cataract.

I don't seem to have a problem with colors, or if I do I don't realize it. I do have a problem with the sun seeming too bright. Also, when I'm in a big store with bright lights on the ceiling, and look up or across the store, it looks very foggy or smoky. But it's the big twinkly haloes around lights that are worst for me.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't seem to have a problem with colors, or if I do I don't realize it. I do have a problem with the sun seeming too bright. Also, when I'm in a big store with bright lights on the ceiling, and look up or across the store, it looks very foggy or smoky. But it's the big twinkly haloes around lights that are worst for me.
I'm not looking forward to those kind of problems!

Our power went out last night. I had to slowly feel my way to another room to get a flashlight. An hour and a half later I decided I might as well feel my way to bed. I had a great night's sleep (the first in a long time)! When I awoke, I was surprised by all the lights that were on. Then I remembered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our power went out last night. I had to slowly feel my way to another room to get a flashlight. An hour and a half later I decided I might as well feel my way to bed. I had a great night's sleep (the first in a long time)! When I awoke, I was surprised by all the lights that were on. Then I remembered.

Been there many times. ;) Did you have bad weather?

I usually wake up a couple times during the night, then end up getting up at 5:30 or 6:00. I woke up around 3:00 this morning to the wonderful aroma of a skunk. Our bedroom window was only open a crack, because the cats always try to look out of it during the night if they hear something interesting and I don't want it open enough that they might try to push through the screen (don't know why I worry about things like that!), but the aroma crept through. It went away quickly though.

It's been a beautiful day.

Upvote 0