British Columbia
✟1,008,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Did Paul not write Hebrews? This is the first I'm hearing about it. The style is different and he started every book he wrote by claiming authorship, which doesn't happen in Hebrews. Mind blown!

It was thought for a long time that he did write it, but many scholars today have strong doubts about this as the case, and I've been to churches where they go out of the way in sermons not to ascribe authorship to him.

Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

GodDoesListen55

“A happy heart makes the face cheerful.” ッ
Jun 25, 2006
Delaware
✟109,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I will at least be willing to look at the link, but I cannot promise anything. I just gave up a large bit of my savings for another purpose recently, you see. But I will at least look and consider. :)
THANK YOU, MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS!!! :hug:

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Did Paul not write Hebrews? This is the first I'm hearing about it. The style is different and he started every book he wrote by claiming authorship, which doesn't happen in Hebrews. Mind blown!

I've heard that too. They don't know who wrote Hebrews.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟839,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard that too. They don't know who wrote Hebrews.
I had no clue until yesterday! I normally don't read the introductions in my bible, but I just started reading Hebrews and it caught my eye. It said Paul likely didn't write it. I always thought he did!

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟216,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It’s silly how they think they can determine who wrote a book in the Bible by style, like people can’t speak or write in different ways.

It’s also silly how they think they can determine who wrote a book or not by if it says who wrote it or not. For example there’s letters that say they’re written by X writer, but then people say it wasn’t even tho there’s no reason to suspect it wasn’t.

Apparently questions on who wrote Hebrews goes all the way back to the early church. I like the theory it was a sermon, most likely by Paul. This explains why he doesn’t say ‘Greetings from Paul to the church in XXX’ like his letters.

A thought just occurred to me: There may’ve been Jews who didn’t like Paul getting rid of the Jewish customs. It's clear early Christians debated on that topic heavily. So that’s why Paul didn’t sign his name to it. The Jews may not’ve listened to him if he had signed his name to it.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
There are times when a thumbs down emoji would be necessary on here.

Giving out a 'neg' was all in the spirit of forum usage back in the day. Probably not here, but on other forums I posted on during the mid to late 2000s, it was good ol' fashioned banter to 'neg' another forum member. Unfortunately, it turned spiteful eventually when the trolls came along and spoiled everything.

I hate trolls. They were the worst thing to ever happen to the internet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟216,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While we’re talking about who wrote Hebrews, another thing that bugs me is when ‘scholars’ say we know the Gospels weren’t by the Apostles b/c the quotes from the Old Testament are from the Greek translations they had access too. Why on earth does that matter? If I’m speaking English & quote something in a different language, I quote it in the translation I have. I don’t translate it based off on my own translation. A Greek Jew would recognize the Greek quote. A Greek Jew would not recognize a translation the author translated himself.

I swear scholars look for the smallest holes in the Bible & base their whole understanding of it on grains of sand.

& it’s not just secular scholars. There’s Christian scholars who believe this

While we’re on that, I also think it’s dumb even Christian scholars think Matthew, Mark, & Luke are ‘synoptic’ & dependent on each other. Their similarities are b/c the authors would’ve told the stories the same. Why is it so hard to understand people tell stories similarly all the time? Would’ve even been more common in a culture that was much better orally than we are today. I also highly disagree John is radically different from the others. For example, Mark is the shortest & simplest, why not say that one is the one radically different? Each Gospel has its own uniqueness while all having similarities. They are exactly what you would expect to find based on 4 people’s different understanding of events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟839,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While we’re talking about who wrote Hebrews, another thing that bugs me is when ‘scholars’ say we know the Gospels weren’t by the Apostles b/c the quotes from the Old Testament are from the Greek translations they had access too. Why on earth does that matter? If I’m speaking English & quote something in a different language, I quote it in the translation I have. I don’t translate it based off on my own translation. A Greek Jew would recognize the Greek quote. A Greek Jew would not recognize a translation the author translated himself.

I swear scholars look for the smallest holes in the Bible & base their whole understanding of it on grains of sand.

& it’s not just secular scholars. There’s Christian scholars who believe this

While we’re on that, I also think it’s dumb even Christian scholars think Matthew, Mark, & Luke are ‘synoptic’ & dependent on each other. Their similarities are b/c the authors would’ve told the stories the same. Why is it so hard to understand people tell stories similarly all the time? Would’ve even been more common in a culture that was much better orally than we are today. I also highly disagree John is radically different from the others. For example, Mark is the shortest & simplest, why not say that one is the one radically different? Each Gospel has its own uniqueness while all having similarities. They are exactly what you would expect to find based on 4 people’s different understanding of events.
There's just too many "experts" and "scholars" working to disprove the bible any way they can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,008,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

GodDoesListen55

Jun 25, 2006
Delaware
✟109,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes @peaceful-forest and thank you @.Mikha'el. (P.S. I hope I did not offend those with whom I was speaking! I just have this weird OCD thing about deleting things, especially when they may contain personal information. I am sorry! Thank you for understanding! God bless you!) :)

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's just too many "experts" and "scholars" working to disprove the bible any way they can.
Agreed. What's sad is that some people may only hear the false narratives and walk away with the wrong impression.

Upvote 0

GodDoesListen55

Jun 25, 2006
Delaware
✟109,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of this negative rhetoric needs to stop, and don't you dare say, “But, I love you,” after verbally abusing someone, because that is nothing but a slap in the face.

Upvote 0