Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's different expressions of femininity. I'm into dresses, heels, and makeup. I'm ultra feminine. If I meet a guy online and Skype I'll get dressed. Physically put on a dress, shoes, makeup, and do my hair. I'll look the same as if we went out. I prefer men who want that. I love meeting that need.
Something I've been working on since last year. I went from fashion merchandising ambitions in my teen years to the military. And from there out most of it was male-dominated even when I was a teacher in Japan. So I've had to adjust to my environment, which pretty much brought me back to what I was comfortable with in my childhood years of playing with boys. I think I would be closest to someone like Drew Barrymore or Cameron diaz. Casual, playful yet I try to dress Onassis or classic dress styles when I can. There's also a quiet edge of confidence that I exude quietly. I think the biggest attraction I've heard from most guys is my confidence. But I've been working on my exterior and how I will present myself.

I didn't used to run with makeup but I do now and earrings and even sports dresses. I try to wear skorts over shorts now. I've also been finding more flattering tops. And stick with pinks and feminine colors.

don't believe most men expect a woman to live in dresses and skirts. The majority don't dress that way. All men have aesthetic preferences
yes I would agree. I've been trying to change my mindset and don't want to ever let myself go. I want to be like that 90-year-old fashion icon..iris. I don't like all of her style but I like that she has found a way to keep young and presentable. Her husband in the documentary seemed to appreciate all those things. More than anything I think he just supports what her passion is.

Developing that mindset requires like-minded company. You can't be around people who trumpet your strengths or empowerment all the time.
Very true.

Vulnerability is equally important. You have to be around others who emphasize the softer elements and the beauty of surrender.
I think I have a combination of female friends that are both liberal and soft spoken. I lean less towards liberal, but for some reason I have made friends both men and women that are liberal. Even though I disagree with many of their stances, we come to a common ground of respect. I'm not sure why but I don't think I have as close relationships with conservatives. The apologist I know might be one of the exceptions, but I can only handle so much of him talking about politics. Vice versa I let any of my liberal friends know I don't want to talk about it.

offer love, support, encouragement, etc. But I'm not the captain. That's his job. Choosing the right suitor is important as you noted.
Makes sense. That's pretty much how I've always felt is that I want the guy to take a lead. And one of the things that I have been so frustrated with online dating is so many guys expecting women to take the lead. I'm not very responsive to those types of guys and I just feel like they are not what I'm looking for. At the same time I have found with online dating, when I started initiating questions, guys have to come back to me to say that they were so relieved and happy that I did. And surprisingly those guys actually were the leading type.

I've never wanted to be a man. It has no appeal. While I'm strong in my own right, that doesn't diminish my need for him or what he brings to the table. I don't try to fill his shoes. That's not my place.
I'd agree.
Especially for marriage. In the workplace it was a totally different matter when I was in male dominated situations. I just wanted to be a worker but so many undervalued my capabilities because of my gender. And different purchases and jokes were applied. It made for a hostile environment.

I'm not a feminist. I want to be secure, protected, and spoiled. I'm a princess. I focus on suitors who want that. :)
Same here. I'm not sure about the secure protected and spoiled it's something I would have to think on. I guess myself, I'd be looking for a suitor who is not afraid to get dirty and we work in the yard or land together. Know how to have a nice evening out and get dressed up, maybe even an opera (have an appreciation for the fine arts) but not afraid to get dirty and take care of a yard or land together. Maybe even volunteering to help the church with those things.

The person I supported made weird comments and one day he said something about 'not acting on feelings' and I knew I had to cut the chord. He'd gone pretty far in his head and nothing I said would convince him otherwise.
Yes, I can understand this. I've had to do that too but mine usually got to the extreme where they were obsessed and threatening. One guy ended up being fired. And he was 13 years younger than me. He did get rehired a couple years later and I actually went over and shook his hand and welcomed him back to the agency. It was the best thing that I could do and are working around each other was not as awkward. I was also thankful that he found someone and was married. He had some time to grow up.

In my mind, it's disingenuous to surround myself with men who desire me. What am I communicating to suitors, my companion, and future spouse? How would I feel if the situation was reversed? From a man's perspective it can appear you enjoy the attention. I hear them discuss it. I don't want to be in that company.
Yes, I can understand that. And I continue to debate back and forth if I should keep the friendship with the apologist. Even though we've come to an agreement that I don't see us as suitable for each other. But we have 800 miles separating us.
Some good thoughts and stuff to chew on thanks.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Something I've been working on since last year. I went from fashion merchandising ambitions in my teen years to the military. And from there out most of it was male-dominated even when I was a teacher in Japan.

The military doesn't nurture femininity and male-dominated environments require external elements to minimize the edge.

I think I would be closest to someone like Drew Barrymore or Cameron diaz. Casual, playful yet I try to dress Onassis or classic dress styles when I can. There's also a quiet edge of confidence that I exude quietly. I think the biggest attraction I've heard from most guys is my confidence. But I've been working on my exterior and how I will present myself.

That's fine. You don't have to be Jackie all the time. It has to be authentic. What you're describing is the norm for most. :)

Yes I would agree. I've been trying to change my mindset and don't want to ever let myself go. I want to be like that 90-year-old fashion icon..iris. I don't like all of her style but I like that she has found a way to keep young and presentable. Her husband in the documentary seemed to appreciate all those things. More than anything I think he just supports what her passion is.

Iris is cool. I like her. She owns her difference. She's not trying to be something she's not. I respect that. I'm the same. To say I'm a princess on a Christian site would land me on the prayer list! :D

But that's who I am! I spent a lot of years around an ultra feminine relative who groomed me. And I added to it. For a long time I didn't own any jeans. Camping is still a joke amongst friends. They know I'm not roughing it!

God uses that for His glory. I can talk to women and encourage them and support their expression. Without telling them they need to do the same. He knit them differently and I want them to embrace it.

I think I have a combination of female friends that are both liberal and soft spoken.

I have friends of different political persuasions. But every one of them is into their man. They make a lot of money. But they don't lord it over them. They're respectful and have a team mindset. They retired their spouses. But you wouldn't know it unless they told you. They champion what he's doing. I love that about them. It's a great example.

akes sense. That's pretty much how I've always felt is that I want the guy to take a lead. And one of the things that I have been so frustrated with online dating is so many guys expecting women to take the lead. I'm not very responsive to those types of guys and I just feel like they are not what I'm looking for. At the same time I have found with online dating, when I started initiating questions, guys have to come back to me to say that they were so relieved and happy that I did. And surprisingly those guys actually were the leading type.

I'm not an expert on Christian men. But I think its wrong to leave your place. You have to let him figure things out. If you want a man who leads you have to let him own the process. Stumbles and all.

I watch what he does and make assessments. I don't help him in that way. My job is to respond and show him he's on the right on path and encourage his efforts. He has to find his way. That's an integral part of his growth and confidence. I can't take it away from him.

I just wanted to be a worker but so many undervalued my capabilities because of my gender. And different purchases and jokes were applied. It made for a hostile environment.

There's no upside of challenging sharks. Let them underestimate you. Women need well placed allies in that situation. Keep your hands clean and let them do the slaying. They'll be forgiven but you won't. It's mental chess. Femininity helps in that scenario. It diffuses tension and hostility. I didn't wear power suits. I emphasized my ladyship. That was less threatening.

Same here. I'm not sure about the secure protected and spoiled it's something I would have to think on. I guess myself, I'd be looking for a suitor who is not afraid to get dirty and we work in the yard or land together.

You have something in mind. Run with it and see what happens. I'm practical. I can't do it all. Chucking the domestic stuff and limiting myself to creative and social tasks is more realistic.

Yes, I can understand this. I've had to do that too but mine usually got to the extreme where they were obsessed and threatening.

You were nice. Most would keep him at bay. I have zero tolerance for obsession. No means no. Men who can't get that through their head are off-limits. I've had some pretend they did. But I see through them.

Yes, I can understand that. And I continue to debate back and forth if I should keep the friendship with the apologist. Even though we've come to an agreement that I don't see us as suitable for each other. But we have 800 miles separating us.
Some good thoughts and stuff to chew on thanks.

If I can't invite him over without worrying what he'll do or say because of my companion we can't be friends. I won't disrespect my partner. Nor will I wait until I marry to end the connection. He must know his place from the start or we can't walk together.

Last edited:
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟126,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Iris is cool. I like her. She owns her difference. She's not trying to be something she's not. I respect that. I'm the same. To say I'm a princess on a Christian site would land me on the prayer list! :D
I laughed about this. That's cute:D

But that's who I am! I spent a lot of years around an ultra feminine relative who groomed me. And I added to it. For a long time I didn't own any jeans. Camping is still a joke amongst friends. They know I'm not roughing it!
That makes sense. And I was raised opposite. I was raised in a strict home where we worked on the land together. It was my teenage years that I wanted to refute my upbringing that I started looking into high fashion. I pretty much had to do my own research since I was not surrounded by any of it. I was teaching all my friends who just rolled their eyes at me. And I dared to be different with what I had and wore different outfits. If I felt like wearing a pure white long dress, I did. If I felt like dressing like a skater, I did
So with yard work and such, I'm sort of returning to my childhood roots. I made that realization after living in a city of a million in Japan. City life was not for me and stressed my body too much. I like things quiet where I can think.

God uses that for His glory. I can talk to women and encourage them and support their expression. Without telling them they need to do the same. He knit them differently and I want them to embrace
Yes, it's amazing how God has created each person and it and woven them. Just look at all the variations of women in the bible. Thank goodness God didn't expect us all to be like one type of woman. I'm sure the men are thankful too;)

I watch what he does and make assessments. I don't help him in that way. My job is to respond and show him he's on the right on path and encourage his efforts. He has to find his way. That's an integral part of his growth and confidence. I can't take it away from him.
Yes, I would agree.

Keep your hands clean and let them do the slaying. They'll be forgiven but you won't. It's mental chess. Femininity helps in that
I pretty much stayed quiet. When I changed departments later on, someone told everyone that I was really quiet. Of course that changed when I was not in a hostile environment.
My being quiet through some of the worst years worked in my favor. Guys saw what management was trying to do to me to get me fired and when I left for some while with the reserves and came back each one came with their story saying that they were trying to do the same to them. No one had spoken up for me before, but they had grown some kind of respect. And I began to get some support from others that would come and tell me about the falsifying reports. It was a long 2-year process before I finally was yanked out of the situation. The top manager said that he was concerned, but I think it was my two years worth of documentation that he was afraid of. There's a handful of people that know about my past and how I was treated that still work for the agency, and I know they have respect for me. That probably was my quiet fortitude and feminine side that came out in that. All of that was stirred by a woman who was jealous and contrived a group of management to try to get me fired. The Lord ultimately saw me through that situation. I did end up getting systemic lupus after all of that, but to this day those I work with it would be hard to tell of my past.
I hope I am making sense. It is a late hour and will be going to bed soon.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That makes sense. And I was raised opposite. I was raised in a strict home where we worked on the land together.

I grew up in the city and spent weekends with my aunt every month. She emphasized femininity. I learned about clothes, garment construction, how to cook, skincare, etc. We ate out a lot and shopped. We didn't go to kid friendly restaurants. She took me to nice places.

I didn't have chores at home. I was responsible for my bedroom and that was it. I didn't cook or clean the house. When I visited my grandparents the same held true. I didn't wash dishes at my aunt's until I was older. Helping with breakfast or dinner on occasion was the extent of my involvement. My daughter was raised the same.

I never thought about it until now. That's why I enjoy domesticity. It wasn't forced. I like Martha, Marie Kondo, and Pinterest projects because I didn't have to do it. I don't see it as work. It's pleasurable. My grandparents had a garden and apple tree. My grandfather managed it and had a small vegetable plot. I spent time with him but I wasn't working.

This has been very insightful! Now I understand the princess thing. :)

If I felt like wearing a pure white long dress, I did. If I felt like dressing like a skater, I did. So with yard work and such, I'm sort of returning to my childhood roots.

My style was always conservative. I call it elegant glam. There's certain looks my family frowns on. Like yoga pants and ripped jeans. They'll say they don't like it if I put it on. My aunt wants me to look chic. She'll say, I like you in that. It's her way of conveying its appropriate.

Yes, it's amazing how God has created each person and it and woven them. Just look at all the variations of women in the bible. Thank goodness God didn't expect us all to be like one type of woman. I'm sure the men are thankful too;)

I shared the same with a young lady last night. She loves beautification and taking time to pamper herself and get dressed. Femininity is her delight and she loves the Lord. I told her He made her that way and it has a purpose. She wants to be a stay-at-home wife. She can be a positive influence and example for younger women.

That probably was my quiet fortitude and feminine side that came out in that. All of that was stirred by a woman who was jealous and contrived a group of management to try to get me fired. The Lord ultimately saw me through that situation. I did end up getting systemic lupus after all of that, but to this day those I work with it would be hard to tell of my past.

Toxic work environments take a toll. I'm glad the Lord saw you through it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟997,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the same time I have found with online dating, when I started initiating questions, guys have to come back to me to say that they were so relieved and happy that I did. And surprisingly those guys actually were the leading type.

Because with a nice gal like you, Miss Sampa, we might start becoming self-conscious that we're hogging too much of the conversation and thus will appear self-centered in your eyes and/or open ourselves up for accidentally saying something stupid in front of the pretty lass by talking so much. So of course we'd be relieved to hear you start taking command. :D Ladies such as @bèlla and yourself are always keeping us on our toes, you see, even when you might not realize it. ^_-

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
we might start becoming self-conscious that we're hogging too much of the conversation and thus will appear self-centered in your eyes and/or open ourselves up for accidentally saying something stupid in front of the pretty lass by talking so much.

Or maybe not. :)

When you initiate you have an opportunity to set the tone and put your best foot forward. We see spontaneity and originality when we’re receptive. You convey what’s important and reduce the “what does he mean” dialogues women have.

Questions have their place but serve and volley is more interesting and doesn’t put men on the defensive. We talk more after all. ;)

Ladies such as @bèlla and yourself are always keeping us on our toes, you see, even when you might not realize it. ^_-

I’m happy to help. *forwards a bill for @sampa dress fund* Caring is sharing. :D

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I'm a rather handy fellow.

I replaced some old parts on an OLD floor lamp. It's a lamp made from a piece of driftwood my great grandfather found and made into a lamp. It needed a new socket, new cord, new switch, new halo, new shade, and a new finial. Everything but the body of the lamp itself.

I inherited this lamp many, many years ago. My ex HATED it. She refused it to be in our home. I stored it. It travelled with me a few times, always broken. I finally fixed it.

It only took me from...2003/4 until now to get it fixed. I mean, the repairs took almost 30 minutes to complete. So, 16+ years of doing nothing to solve it in 30 minutes. Par for the course in my life.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,977.00
Faith
Christian
How are you feeling now? Did you have to take off time from work?

No, I prepared for the worst and assumed I WOULD feel terrible so I timed my shot for a Friday night.

I've just been a bit ropey this week. Nothing compared to Saturday, that was easily the worst I've ever felt.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
...and some will say "big deal, I knew how to wire a lamp when I was [insert age from childhood here]"

Good for you.

Bet you probably had someone, like an older brother, an uncle, or even *gasp* a father to teach you how, didn't you? I've had to teach myself or learn from books...or watch a couple YouTube videos and watch average folks pull it off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vinter

Jul 17, 2021
Copenhagen
✟55,412.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...and some will say "big deal, I knew how to wire a lamp when I was [insert age from childhood here]"

Good for you.

Bet you probably had someone, like an older brother, an uncle, or even *gasp* a father to teach you how, didn't you? I've had to teach myself or learn from books...or watch a couple YouTube videos and watch average folks pull it off.

So you're autodidact. That's cool.

My mom is autodidact too. When she moved out from her parents home, she didn't know how to put up a lamp, change a wire.

All the things she taught herself, she taught me before I moved out on my own.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I think its neat. I've never done it. I'm largely self-taught or took classes. Keep it up! :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I posted a thread earlier and a young lady replied. She answered the question and acknowledged her inexperience. When I looked at her profile it confirmed her virginity. I was pleasantly surprised.

Encountering young women in their twenties who want to settle down is reassuring. Everyone isn't tainted. There's still a want for love, marriage, and happiness. They're not anti-male or anti-feminine. It made me smile. I suspect I'll meet more like them.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Opinions vary, but I don't see 'ugly' when I look at this lamp. It's not beautiful in a classical sense perhaps, but it has an aesthetic that I find very pleasing, yet it does not say 'kitch' to me like so much stuff you can find mass produced to look 'rustic'. Ick.

dXzNFa.jpg

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@HisGraceAbounds

I love your transparency. You're not afraid to get real, show your warts, or acknowledge your fears. That's a rarity. I can't put enough hearts on it without you thinking I've lost my head.

That's the kind of thing that makes me go all-in. Seriously, ride or die. You don't encounter it every day. Don't change. It's refreshing.

Mucho respect for your self-awareness and courage. I had to acknowledge it. This is golden. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟126,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in the city and spent weekends with my aunt every month. She emphasized femininity. I learned about clothes, garment construction, how to cook, skincare, etc. We ate out a lot and shopped. We didn't go to kid friendly restaurants. She took me to nice
I only dreamed of living that kind of life. Very far from the world that I was surrounded by.

I didn't have chores at home. I was responsible for my bedroom and that was it. I didn't cook or clean the house. When I visited my grandparents the same held true. I didn't wash dishes at my aunt's until I was older
I did not like the chores that I had and fell a little bit overwhelmed since it was just my mom's step dad and I. Our garden was so big and the 3 1/2 acres took forever to mow. As I had older and my teenage years I stopped eating the eggs from the chickens and any vegetables that came from the garden for about a year. Finally with my quiet protest I was able to not have to do those chores anymore. What I was five or six I learned how to do dishes and from there I had to always do it. When it came time to learn cooking I said I didn't want to learn. Since I was given a choice. I felt it would be too much if I ended up having to clean plus cook all the time. So I played the ignorant card with a lot of things but I suffer to this day by keeping myself ignorant. Especially with cooking. And small things like sewing. I could have learned so many things but I felt overwhelmed with the responsibilities that were put on me. But that's because I was the dreamer in the family.

My grandparents had a garden and apple tree. My grandfather managed it and had a small vegetable plot. I spent time with him but I wasn't working.
My grandparents had quite a bit of land and rented out the fields for farming. As a small child I remember walking the land with my grandfather and we had a great relationship. On Sundays I tended to stick close to my grandfather because he wasn't stuck with the work like the women were. And they always had this small chat that was very uninteresting to me.
It's also interesting to think about how many of the women at my mother's side were the workers and the leaders and probably directors of the household and land. Even my great great grandmother I think was the one who ran the financial affairs when they did the boot legging.

This has been very insightful! Now I understand the princess thing.
I'm glad that you were able to get something out of this conversation :) always good to know yourself a little bit better and how you relate to others.

There's certain looks my family frowns on. Like yoga pants and ripped jeans.
My mother was definitely the same. I have one pair of J crew sweatpants but they are only for lounging if I'm going to take a nap.

Toxic work environments take a toll. I'm glad the Lord saw you through it
Very much so. And I also reflect back that I was fortunate to have my biological father guiding me spiritually and my stepfather guiding me with the HR process.

Because with a nice gal like you, Miss Sampa, we might start becoming self-conscious that we're hogging too much of the conversation and thus will appear self-centered in your eyes and/or open ourselves up for accidentally saying something stupid in front of the pretty lass by talking so much. So of course we'd be relieved to hear you start taking command
Aww, I really think it depends on the guy.

Ladies such as @bèlla and yourself are always keeping us on our toes, you see, even when you might not realize it.
Haha.:D

When you initiate you have an opportunity to set the tone and put your best foot forward. We see spontaneity and originality when we’re receptive. You convey what’s important and reduce the “what does he mean” dialogues women have.
. I'd agree with this one too.

Not looking forward to it but just to let you know I'm not disappearing but I do have a 3-day media break starting tomorrow. It will be good, as I see myself getting too reliant on technological things that take me away from the word. It was good to step back this week from my hard training. Did a glitter run with a friend and her son today. Health seems good. Finances is going to be the next brain hurdle, between if my insurance accepts that it was an emergency and if they do also filing with vaccine Court to see if they can make up the difference.

Blessings to both of you and the contributions that you make to this forum. It's very late but @SarahsKnight I've been wondering how your work is going. I look forward to hearing more when I get back.

And @bèlla what are your projections for the future of living overseas? Just curious. So many things that you have been able to live and possibly your future are things I only dream.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
@HisGraceAbounds

I love your transparency. You're not afraid to get real, show your warts, or acknowledge your fears. That's a rarity. I can't put enough hearts on it without you thinking I've lost my head.

That's the kind of thing that makes me go all-in. Seriously, ride or die. You don't encounter it every day. Don't change. It's refreshing.

Mucho respect for your self-awareness and courage. I had to acknowledge it. This is golden. :yellowheart:

I appreciate your saying that.

Events in life as I have aged have provoked me to be...authentic. I spent a lot of years trying to be what others thought I should be, and I lost myself.

God don't make no junk, or so I heard it said. I've got my issues, and my issues have issues. I'm neurotic as the day is long. Still, I'm a good-hearted guy.

...or at least that's as much as I'm going to cop to tonight.

Fist-Bump-Fail-Big-Bang-Theory.gif

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hurricanes don't reach where I live. We have had after effects though on the lake. For example hurricane Sandy I remember it being really windy.

How are you doing now? I actually was part of the hurricane Andrew relief for 3 weeks when I was in the Army in 1992. It was an eye-opening experience to see how devastating a hurricane can be.

Oh we are fine,It wasnt nearly as big of a deal as they made it out to be.For some reason they always make things out to be so awful on tv,they were even saying it could take up to 21 days for power to come back. We were only out for 2 hrs which was no big deal.We had no damage either.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I only dreamed of living that kind of life. Very far from the world that I was surrounded by.

My mother is the lone one amongst her siblings who had children. That's why were were so indulged.

I did not like the chores that I had and fell a little bit overwhelmed since it was just my mom's step dad and I. Our garden was so big and the 3 1/2 acres took forever to mow. As I had older and my teenage years I stopped eating the eggs from the chickens and any vegetables that came from the garden for about a year. Finally with my quiet protest I was able to not have to do those chores anymore.

That's a lot for a child. Farms require a lot of hands. There's always something to do. That's the primary detriment to homesteading. I don't mind growing my own food. I know how to do it. But I don't want the upkeep. I'd have to hire someone to manage it. In some areas they have services that'll tend the garden, harvest food, etc. when you're away.

What I was five or six I learned how to do dishes and from there I had to always do it. When it came time to learn cooking I said I didn't want to learn. Since I was given a choice. I felt it would be too much if I ended up having to clean plus cook all the time. So I played the ignorant card with a lot of things but I suffer to this day by keeping myself ignorant. Especially with cooking. And small things like sewing. I could have learned so many things but I felt overwhelmed with the responsibilities that were put on me. But that's because I was the dreamer in the family.

That's understandable. You weren't approaching the subjects from a place of interest. It was a responsibility during a season when that shouldn't be the case. I'm very adamant about children being kids and carefree. It's the only time you can. You don't have the worries and responsibilities of adulthood. It should be enjoyed.

My grandparents had quite a bit of land and rented out the fields for farming. As a small child I remember walking the land with my grandfather and we had a great relationship. On Sundays I tended to stick close to my grandfather because he wasn't stuck with the work like the women were. And they always had this small chat that was very uninteresting to me.

I spent time with the women until my grandfather came home. Then I went to him. He did interesting things. I'd hangout in his workshop. That's where the woodworking comes from. I'd watch him. I liked to put things together and I could get dirty and not get in trouble.

It's also interesting to think about how many of the women at my mother's side were the workers and the leaders and probably directors of the household and land. Even my great great grandmother I think was the one who ran the financial affairs when they did the boot legging.

If you look at old books on household management you may see the same. Everything related to the household including staff was a woman's domain.

I'm glad that you were able to get something out of this conversation :) always good to know yourself a little bit better and how you relate to others.

We behave the way we do for a reason and I try understand. Age has given me perspective. I understand things I didn't in my twenties.

Not looking forward to it but just to let you know I'm not disappearing but I do have a 3-day media break starting tomorrow. It will be good, as I see myself getting too reliant on technological things that take me away from the word.

I hope you enjoy your time away. :)

I pull back as the mood strikes or reduce my activity on a site. I've done that here since I'm on another. I'm getting inundated with messages 'in spite of my profile' and that gets tiresome. But I don't respond. I don't want want to spend my time doing that.

It was good to step back this week from my hard training. Did a glitter run with a friend and her son today. Health seems good. Finances is going to be the next brain hurdle, between if my insurance accepts that it was an emergency and if they do also filing with vaccine Court to see if they can make up the difference.

Good luck with the insurance. I hope everything goes well.

And @bèlla what are your projections for the future of living overseas? Just curious. So many things that you have been able to live and possibly your future are things I only dream.

We're leaving next year. I play it by ear and keep an eye on things overseas. I have other options in place in case of future lockdowns. I have to be flexible. Everything changed.

I'm building a connection with someone who lives where I'm heading. The Lord put her in my path and that's encouraging. School is great but I'm tired. Our breaks are short. When you add up the classes over a year I've taken more than someone attending full-time.

My primary focus is tying up loose ends and getting things off my plate to conserve energy. I contemplated coming back when I finished. But we've decided to stay. We'll settle in France. I'd like to keep a place in Paris and find a house in the country.

• Friendly
Upvote 0