Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
WOMM: Lately I've been working with the Unity game engine. It's had all the features I need, but dealing with bugs, revenue shares, added expenses, etc. has been frustrating. But not too long ago, someone recommended the Godot engine to me, claiming it was worth checking out. At first I dismissed it, mostly because of how long I thought it would take to learn and switch over to.

However, yesterday I did some more research on it, and downloaded the program so I could give it a test drive. I was actually quite impressed. The program is incredibly small (only around 50 megabytes; 151 if you want C# support), doesn't require installation or creating an account on their site, runs externally, is completely free and open source, doesn't force EULA or other license agreements, support multiple scripting languages and doesn't require a cut of your project's revenue once you start making money with it. It's been said that this engine could very well shake up and revolutionize the game development industry, and I can see why. Godot brings A LOT of freedom and opportunities to developers, is very easy to learn (it's quite similar to Unity actually; I picked it up in no time) and supports all modern features most games use today - including high end graphics and I presume physics. I'm going to attempt to port over one of my projects soon.

That's good to hear. I use Unity, mostly because of what Epic used to charge for Unreal, but I'm exploring other options.

It's nice to see familiar faces around, and posting. :)
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's good to hear. I use Unity, mostly because of what Epic used to charge for Unreal, but I'm exploring other options.
I didn't know you also develop games, pretty cool. :oldthumbsup:

Honestly I do like Unity: it's a powerful engine, has everything I need, has a vast community and assets available, and supports modern features you would expect. But, dealing with bugs, the income share / being forced to buy the pro version (which I believe is now a subscription service), having to buy features for the engine that should be default, etc. has been frustrating.

I've been working with Godot for 4 days now, and so far I love it. I did run into one bug, but it was quickly resolved. The graphics look right up-to-par with most modern games, and it supports visual scripting, a visual shader editor and basically everything Unity does (with new updates and features being added over time). The main difference with Godot is that everything is based on scenes / nodes, rather than prefabs. All objects are scenes in themselves, and you can embed scenes within scenes - it's a clever idea. The fact that it's completely free, licensed under MIT and open source is incredible.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, lol.. guess he's kinda interesting..
Let's just hope they keep it the route of what Heath Ledger's character was; dark and gritty. If it's anything like what Jared Leto portrayed then it will be a waste of film.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's just hope they keep it the route of what Heath Ledger's character was; dark and gritty. If it's anything like what Jared Leto portrayed then it will be a waste of film.

Never seen Jared Leto's version.. but yeah dark and gritty sounds fun. Seen the Dark Knight.. the only super hero movie I kind of liked.. Tried watching Black Panther but found it too depressing..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Never seen Jared Leto's version.. but yeah dark and gritty sounds fun. Seen the Dark Knight.. the only super hero movie I kind of liked.. Tried watching Black Panther but found it too depressing..
Hmm. Black Panther. I bought it on DVD weeks ago but never have gotten around to watching it. I certainly don't need to be depressed right now. So I think I will save it for another time.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. Black Panther. I bought it on DVD weeks ago but never have gotten around to watching it. I certainly don't need to be depressed right now. So I think I will save it for another time.

Maybe you'll get a different reaction.. lol..

Also watched Dr. Strange.. I hated that Beyoncé joke.. or whatever her name is. > : (

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm thinking of all the Super hero movies I've fully watched..

Dr. Strange
The Dark Knight
Iron Man.. I think that's it..

I mean.. I've seen some podcasters I love rip on the 1994 Fantastic Four film.. lol..

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm thinking of all the Super hero movies I've fully watched..

Dr. Strange
The Dark Knight
Iron Man.. I think that's it..

I mean.. I've seen some podcasters I love rip on the 1994 Fantastic Four film.. lol..
Hmm. Not even the old Superman movies or Michael Keaton Batman?
You should watch some Superman movies that has Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor though. Those are classics.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. Not even the old Superman movies or Michael Keaton Batman?
You should watch some Superman movies that has Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor though. Those are classics.

Actually I might have seen the whole of the first Michael Keaton batman film.. oh man.. that was awful.. I hate most of Tim Burton's films..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually I might have seen the whole of the first Michael Keaton batman film.. oh man.. that was awful.. I hate most of Tim Burton's films..
Yeah I'm not really a fan of his work either. I recently picked up his version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and haven't watched it either. Lol

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I'm not really a fan of his work either. I recently picked up his version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and haven't watched it either. Lol

Why would you pick that up? You still watch movies on DVDs? Lol.. He's so overrated.. the only films I've seen of his that I enjoyed was Beetlejuice and Ed Wood.. his version of Pee Wee Herman is terrible too.. I recently saw the new Pee Wee Herman Netflix film not directed by him and it was so much better.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟248,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would you pick that up? You still watch movies on DVDs? Lol.. He's so overrated.. the only films I've seen of his that I enjoyed was Beetlejuice and Ed Wood.. his version of Pee Wee Herman is terrible too.. I recently saw the new Pee Wee Herman Netflix film not directed by him and it was so much better.
Eh, what can I say..I'm old fashioned. I liked the original Wonka too, but I had my doubts with the newer one) What? You don't purchase DVDs anymore?

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eh, what can I say..I'm old fashioned. I liked the original Wonka too, but I had my doubts with the newer one) What? You don't purchase DVDs anymore?

No.. no I don't.. lol.. pretty much been streaming since 2006..

Upvote 0