Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did anybody watch the video provided of this Vatican event? I watched most of it. Does anybody know why the Patriarch is seated by himself on the side while the Pope and the two leaders from Palestine and Israel are lined up together?

With the exception of praying and chanting especially prayers from non Christians, the meeting seemed to be like any diplomatic meeting. What are your thoughts?
I watched most of it. I did jump forward with several small jumps during the "filler" (travel, music). The rest was not as bad as it could have been... But it was still disturbing to see the Patriarch participating in this "interfaith invocation" as something they admit is "beyond political and diplomatic efforts".

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, true, Matt and Katherine. It's not good to just do something for show. But if there was sincerity in it, maybe they were just trying to be loving toward others? Just trying to see the other side of this.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I watched most of it. I did jump forward with several small jumps during the "filler" (travel, music). The rest was not as bad as it could have been... But it was still disturbing to see the Patriarch participating in this "interfaith invocation" as something they admit is "beyond political and diplomatic efforts".
I did the same - moved forward past the music and did not listen to all the prayers, especially the parts that weren't in English.

Maybe it was just me, but I was wondering why the Patriarch was on the side of the yard for lack of a better word, instead of up there with the Pope and the other two. It made me feel like he was just a "back up?" In a way, I guess it's better that he wasn't?

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, true, Matt and Katherine. It's not good to just do something for show. But if there was sincerity in it, maybe they were just trying to be loving toward others? Just trying to see the other side of this.

People can be sincere and be wrong. You can reach out without participating in something like this. I can't imagine many priests would be happy if we wanted to attend something like this, especially when there was going to be prayer with them. The bad thing is that because we want to see a "good side" to something, we fail to stop things before they get out of hand. It should have been nipped in the bud right away. I am really hoping that the other patriarchs will come out and make a statement or reach out to him privately.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People can be sincere and be wrong. You can reach out without participating in something like this. I can't imagine many priests would be happy if we wanted to attend something like this, especially when there was going to be prayer with them. The bad thing is that because we want to see a "good side" to something, we fail to stop things before they get out of hand. It should have been nipped in the bud right away. I am really hoping that the other patriarchs will come out and make a statement or reach out to him privately.
I completely understand your POV, and I really tend to see it this way as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to extremes, as I have to struggle with my going from one extreme to another (part of my personality that I have to monitor and try to balance often). I do also hope other Patriarchs come forward with some type of statement.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yeah, but I think that we gotta remember that truth and love go hand in hand, and you cannot have one without the other. I think these meanings muddle the truth at best.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yeah, but I think that we gotta remember that truth and love go hand in hand, and you cannot have one without the other. I think these meanings muddle the truth at best.

I see what you mean.

Upvote 0