Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand wanting peace and all, but this doesn't sit right for me. I mean I'm ignorant about RCC stuff because I thought the Vatican was like a bishop's metropolis with a church inside. Why would they be praying with non Christians in a church? :confused: Is that right?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church has been in love with Islam for years. Vatican II started the real modern love fest with it. It is sickening and truly disturbing. I was thrilled to find that Orthodoxy didn't have the pro-Islam penchant that Catholicism has. But then again, Catholics haven't gone through quite as much hell thanks to Muslims as Orthodox have endured for over a millennium.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this is insanity.

It does seem like it, but I didn't want to over react. I thought maybe there is nothing to be alarmed about, but something inside me feels small alarm bells going off. I am feeling something isn't right.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church has been in love with Islam for years. Vatican II started the real modern love fest with it. It is sickening and truly disturbing. I was thrilled to find that Orthodoxy didn't have the pro-Islam penchant that Catholicism has. But then again, Catholics haven't gone through quite as much hell thanks to Muslims as Orthodox have endured for over a millennium.

Oh, ok. But the news story says prayers at Vatican first time ever. That sends out a kinda red flag to me, and the fact that our Patriarch (well, ours in the GOC, one of ours if youre not in the goarch) is present with this causes concern. But maybe it's just a political meeting for peace. Then why am I feeling not settled by this? Something isn't right.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Islam is a demonic delusion. I have no doubt that Mohammed was talking to something, but it sure wasn't the Archangel Gabriel. They are inviting evil into their backyard.

:o. :crosseo: what does that say for our Patriarch?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There all ecumenists. No I'm not some old calendarist zealot, in fact I'm convinced that I hold the mainstream (and Orthodox) position. Its a reflection of society. I remember an interfaith service held at St Patriacks RC Cathedral for 9/11 years back. The iman was invited who read from the Koran, The swami Sikh read hindu prayers, the rabbi recited his prayer. Ironically under Bloomberg no spiritual leaders were ever allowed to participate in the government sponsored anniversary memorial events of 9/11!

Here is an article from the USATODAY at the interfaith service for the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at the Washington National Cathedral:

Washington National Cathedral, home to the capital's interfaith service in 2001, held its vigil Sunday with prayers and songs and spiritual commentary in a borrowed sanctuary at the Washington Hebrew Congregation. The massive Gothic cathedral was significantly damaged recently by an earthquake, Hurricane Irene and a week of heavy rains.
The voices were Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and Sikh — from the call to prayer in each religion, sung from the synagogue balcony, to the concluding call by Rajwant Singh of the Sikh Council on Religion and Education: "Oh God, embrace anyone who reaches to you from any door."
The Rev. John Bryson Chane, Episcopal bishop of Washington, said the question always asked in extreme tragedy — "What kind of God would allow this?" — is really a prompt to question ourselves. What kind of people are we and how might we affirm that we are all people of God?
The Rev. Samuel Lloyd III, dean of the cathedral, called the interwoven prayers and chants in the sanctuary a symphony to "the hidden oneness within the human race." He said, "God yearns to see us like this."
Jews and Muslims worshiping Friday also addressed the national tragedy.

This is what happens to a society that loses its identity. It needs to invent sponsored syncretistic services for the masses that no longer have a church or even religion to call home. The further we depart from our Christian roots the more such a secular society yearns for such syncretistic services to fill the spiritual void.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,488.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A serious Catholic I asked is explaining it as a political meeting for peace, and stressing that it is not being held in a church.

Still, I agree it looks quite ecumenical and is an effective rubber stamping of the other religions.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,238.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Having returned recently from the West Bank, I think as a political gesture, this should have immense positive effect.
Religion is used as an easy excuse, I repeat, excuse, for tribal hostility which is affirmed by the states occupying the former Roman province of Judæa. Similar uses of religion as a hate totem saw the division of the Northern Irish populace.

I hope the meeting of these socially significant persons will affirm the need for genuine human toleration and compassion aside from religious obligations.

That said, I think publically declaring that the Adhan (including the Shahada 'I bear testimony that there is no God but God, and that Muhammed is his Prophet' / لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله ) is to be sounded in the Vatican City is pandering too much to the media and irking Christians in unhelpful ways.

The adhan is not an essential part of Salat, also is superfluous if there is only to be one, or a handful of people going to prayer.
Evidently the Papal advisors have little sense of the cultivation 'sanctity of place'.

Even still, we are speaking of a city state, not a monastery.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is what happens to a society that loses its identity. It needs to invent sponsored syncretistic services for the masses that no longer have a church or even religion to call home. The further we depart from our Christian roots the more such a secular society yearns for such syncretistic services to fill the spiritual void.
What you say makes a lot of sense and seems true to me. Lord, have mercy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A serious Catholic I asked is explaining it as a political meeting for peace, and stressing that it is not being held in a church.

Still, I agree it looks quite ecumenical and is an effective rubber stamping of the other religions.

Yeah, I thought about it and it did seem similar to what diplomats do when getting together to talk or something. I didn't think religious leaders were supposed to be politicians? Well, I guess it's not too big of a deal, then? I mean, we shouldn't be worried that this is start of leading us up to a One World Religion and the One World Government and all that, right?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Having returned recently from the West Bank, I think as a political gesture, this should have immense positive effect.
Religion is used as an easy excuse, I repeat, excuse, for tribal hostility which is affirmed by the states occupying the former Roman province of Judæa. Similar uses of religion as a hate totem saw the division of the Northern Irish populace.

I hope the meeting of these socially significant persons will affirm the need for genuine human toleration and compassion aside from religious obligations.

That said, I think publically declaring that the Adhan (including the Shahada 'I bear testimony that there is no God but God, and that Muhammed is his Prophet' / لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله ) is to be sounded in the Vatican City is pandering too much to the media and irking Christians in unhelpful ways.

The adhan is not an essential part of Salat, also is superfluous if there is only to be one, or a handful of people going to prayer.
Evidently the Papal advisors have little sense of the cultivation 'sanctity of place'.

Even still, we are speaking of a city state, not a monastery.
I suppose the Vatican has always been pretty political, right?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure, the Patriarch is praying to demons and false gods and all (but not in the Church). This certainly should have immense positive effect. It's just political, after all. :thumbsup:

Is that sarcasm, Daniel? :o :blush: :confused:

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I thought about it and it did seem similar to what diplomats do when getting together to talk or something. I didn't think religious leaders were supposed to be politicians? Well, I guess it's not too big of a deal, then? I mean, we shouldn't be worried that this is start of leading us up to a One World Religion and the One World Government and all that, right?

things like this desensitize the faithful to Ecumenism ...

you are right, religious leaders should not be politicians. they are there to shepherd the faithful and make us holy, not happy.

Upvote 0