Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This question is for those with a little age and experience in life, those people that have been there, done that and got the T-shirt. I am in my 40's, and I am interested in ANY wisdom given, I wanna treasure and make use of every day of my life to the fullest. What would you tell your 40 something-year-old self if you could turn back time? Doesn't matter what it is, or what it's about, what would you tell yourself? Are there any life changes you would warn yourself to make right now?
All that I have suffered over the years has brought me to this most beautiful place in the LORD. The only thing I wish I had done differently...listen to the LORD at his rebuffs, learn quicker from the trial he placed before me and really seek HIM on what it truly means to take every thought captive...because from the vantage point He has brought me to, I can see that was the biggest culprit. Jesus said, "Take no thought..."for a very BIG reason. Much suffering could have been avoided if I had truly sought the meaning of those few words.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What would you tell your 40 something-year-old self if you could turn back time? Doesn't matter what it is, or what it's about, what would you tell yourself? Are there any life changes you would warn yourself to make right now?
"You are not too old"
"Life has just begun"
"You are capable of overcoming back pain"
"Get Jesus Christ asap"
"Study theology"
"You don't need alcohol or cigarettes."
"Read the bible every day."
"Don't be so status conscious"
"Be more worried what God thinks of you than your siblings"
"Stop being so restless. Excitement doesn't equal happiness."

Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This question is for those with a little age and experience in life, those people that have been there, done that and got the T-shirt. I am in my 40's, and I am interested in ANY wisdom given, I wanna treasure and make use of every day of my life to the fullest. What would you tell your 40 something-year-old self if you could turn back time? Doesn't matter what it is, or what it's about, what would you tell yourself? Are there any life changes you would warn yourself to make right now?
I'm 40 years old now. I would tell myself to watch your health and do try to get some excersize.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, Lawdy I'm 44 you acting like you about to dissipate into thin air. See, I probably wouldn't listen to me either, I don't know if you know, but I am very very head strong, since birth. But that's the good news now, I'm in my forties and I'm ready to listen :clap:

See I'm almost in my 30's and up to this point I have made major mistakes in my life... I mean I really messed my life up, I didnt know Christ until I was 23 and even since then I have really messed my life up... rebellion, drugs, etc but it is all a testimony. What would you tell me as a Christian for someone my age? I messed up my life so bad and I don't have anything to show for it yet. Any advice?

By the way, you seem like you're doing great for in your 40's. God bless

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See I'm almost in my 30's and up to this point I have made major mistakes in my life... I mean I really messed my life up, I didnt know Christ until I was 23 and even since then I have really messed my life up... rebellion, drugs, etc but it is all a testimony. What would you tell me as a Christian for someone my age? I messed up my life so bad and I don't have anything to show for it yet. Any advice?

By the way, you seem like you're doing great for in your 40's. God bless
Wow and thank you
Man I've messed up so many times it ain't funny. And the ONLY reason I am here now, is because I've always trusted Him. Even when I did everything wrong, He was right there, still loving me, still caring for me, still protecting me, and lots of times He was protecting me from myself.

Having "things" to show for ain't all it's cracked up to be, having things will not bring you joy, you will only want more and more. I know what it's like to be homeless and I know what its like to have everything my hearts desired. I can't ask Him why He let me get to those places, the reason I can't, is because I know why, He loved me enough to let me see, He loved me enough to let me feel it, He loved me enough to keep me alive when I should've died.

In my early 20's I was doing a lot of ministry, as I look back I was a tough tough teacher, I mean man I was tough on people. I totally adopted the NIKE logo, "just do it". Mind you a lot of great and wonderful things happened. BUT, I couldn't associate myself with their infirmities, I couldn't feel their pain, I didn't understand their hopelessness, I could not relate to anyone because my life was so well protected. Thankfully HE removed that hedge and I tasted everything in a 10 year period of time that I believe anyone can imagine, I wouldn't wish that time frame on my worst of enemies.

But now................ I feel, I mean I really feel people's pain, I understand it, HE let it become a part of my blood, my dna, my mind, my heart, I absorbed every lesson and have never forgotten them. It sounds crazy to be thankful for all those awful things, But dude straight up I am sooooooo thankful.

It caused my heart to feel, it caused my tears to flow, it caused me to step outside of my prideful walls and see the real lives around me, now, I can relate to them all (mostly). I wouldn't trade that terrible time for nothing, I learned so much.

Learn from what you've done wrong, turn the tables around. Be proud of what you have overcome, it was Jesus. A few years ago, people in my small town was like "no way" she can't be a christian, see that's the good part, I served the devil so hard, that when they see me now, THEY KNOW ITS CHRIST IN ME, cause they know the old woman is dead n buried. It's my testimony, it's my hope for others. Take what you have, and use it, don't waste another second. You got this, and once you decide to fight like the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noahs boat, you'll be walking round like a boss.
56dcc28e9b59f09d98ba7db44300b7e8.jpg

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow and thank you
Man I've messed up so many times it ain't funny. And the ONLY reason I am here now, is because I've always trusted Him. Even when I did everything wrong, He was right there, still loving me, still caring for me, still protecting me, and lots of times He was protecting me from myself.

Having "things" to show for ain't all it's cracked up to be, having things will not bring you joy, you will only want more and more. I know what it's like to be homeless and I know what its like to have everything my hearts desired. I can't ask Him why He let me get to those places, the reason I can't, is because I know why, He loved me enough to let me see, He loved me enough to let me feel it, He loved me enough to keep me alive when I should've died.

In my early 20's I was doing a lot of ministry, as I look back I was a tough tough teacher, I mean man I was tough on people. I totally adopted the NIKE logo, "just do it". Mind you a lot of great and wonderful things happened. BUT, I couldn't associate myself with their infirmities, I couldn't feel their pain, I didn't understand their hopelessness, I could not relate to anyone because my life was so well protected. Thankfully HE removed that hedge and I tasted everything in a 10 year period of time that I believe anyone can imagine, I wouldn't wish that time frame on my worst of enemies.

But now................ I feel, I mean I really feel people's pain, I understand it, HE let it become a part of my blood, my dna, my mind, my heart, I absorbed every lesson and have never forgotten them. It sounds crazy to be thankful for all those awful things, But dude straight up I am sooooooo thankful.

It caused my heart to feel, it caused my tears to flow, it caused me to step outside of my prideful walls and see the real lives around me, now, I can relate to them all (mostly). I wouldn't trade that terrible time for nothing, I learned so much.

Learn from what you've done wrong, turn the tables around. Be proud of what you have overcome, it was Jesus. A few years ago, people in my small town was like "no way" she can't be a christian, see that's the good part, I served the devil so hard, that when they see me now, THEY KNOW ITS CHRIST IN ME, cause they know the old woman is dead n buried. It's my testimony, it's my hope for others. Take what you have, and use it, don't waste another second. You got this, and once you decide to fight like the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noahs boat, you'll be walking round like a boss.

Wow, I would never of guessed that you went through that stuff. Thank you for sharing that with me, that made a lot of sense. I have been through some very heavy, heavy stuff in the past 10 years also... stuff so bad that even people in some of the worst neightborhoods would be suprised at how hard I've had it. I am praying that it is God ''training'' me like He did to you, because I'm on the verge of being homeless again... all through my 20's was a disaster. I feel like I'm going crazy a lot of times and I am praying that God is training me because no matter how hard I try to repent, I just can't seem to do it in terms of ceartain things.... on one extreme I love Jesus and His love and His spirit more than anything... on the other extreme I have had such bad mental problems at times that I can't even hold a job and that love leaves me and suddenly the . I honestly don't know what's going on.

I am still going through the fire and can't see a way out yet... all I know is if God brings me out of this sane and peacefully I will be SOOOOO GRATEFUL. I served the devil so hard too... and I'm reaping the consequences. Do you really think that is what God is doing to me? Bringing me through the fire so I can relate to others? What kind of things led you to homelessness? Was it your own sin or just random happenings?

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow, I would never of guessed that you went through that stuff. Thank you for sharing that with me, that made a lot of sense. I have been through some very heavy, heavy stuff in the past 10 years also... stuff so bad that even people in some of the worst neightborhoods would be suprised at how hard I've had it. I am praying that it is God ''training'' me like He did to you, because I'm on the verge of being homeless again... all through my 20's was a disaster. I feel like I'm going crazy a lot of times and I am praying that God is training me because no matter how hard I try to repent, I just can't seem to do it in terms of ceartain things.... on one extreme I love Jesus and His love and His spirit more than anything... on the other extreme I have had such bad mental problems at times that I can't even hold a job and that love leaves me and suddenly the . I honestly don't know what's going on.

I am still going through the fire and can't see a way out yet... all I know is if God brings me out of this sane and peacefully I will be SOOOOO GRATEFUL. I served the devil so hard too... and I'm reaping the consequences. Do you really think that is what God is doing to me? Bringing me through the fire so I can relate to others? What kind of things led you to homelessness? Was it your own sin or just random happenings?
Praying for you WilliamBo! Hang in there. Tie another knot in your rope and hang on for dear life. It is going through the fire that can draw us closer to Him....cause we got nothing else to hang onto. Even Jesus learned obedience by what He suffered. Hebrews 5:8

It is trials and sufferings HE uses to train us in the way we should go...because it can be so easy to go off track as our thoughts take us places we should not go. Ask HIM to help you bring your thoughts into captivity. Know that HE is everywhere, even if we don't perceive it. So glad to hear you love Jesus and HIS spirit...that is what we all need...more of that spirit to empower us to overcome and the faith to BELIEVE He will do it. With man things are impossible, but with God ALL THINGS are possible. That is something we need to let sink in, deep, to our mind and heart.

I found Psalms of David's heartfelt cries of desperation helpful...as well as his songs of joy after God heard his cry from down in the pit and answered him. And the sufferings of Job, I learned a lot from dear Job and his sufferings...and his reasoning with God about it all.

I will remember you in prayer!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Advice for any believing couples with young children........keep them unspotted by the world.......if you can at all take them out of the schools of the world, and schools run by erring churches too for that matter, and allow no mass media in the house, TV, and internet except possibly with very strict controls (not knowing how good the technology is for that) .......we truly have to come out and be separate from the world because our corner of the world is no longer even pretending to follow the ways of God, it is literally wallowing in the bottom of the barrel now, and the devil means business so we have to as well. Though even then, know that your children must be born again of their own free volition. Raising kids is hard to navigate when one spouse is unbelieving, impossible really, I still have no good answer for that, I probably should have put my foot down more, though I'm not sure as a wife. You can't really protect them from the ways of the unbelieving spouse, so have to really place them in God's hands and pray for them a lot. The Lord is faithful, and He is able.....be the persistent widow where your children are concerned and give Him no rest day or night until He has had enough of our pestering. :) The Lord bless you all, I enjoyed reading your posts and testimonies.
Thank you thank you thank you. Well said, I wish more would understand this.

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow and thank you

56dcc28e9b59f09d98ba7db44300b7e8.jpg

Some times I am led to go around an issue when talking to someone and sometimes I go straight in. So my question to you is what will you do? You said that you have a hard head, but my head is many times harder than yours. What I have finally learned, is to submit to the will of God in my life. Like a broken horse I am here to serve my master which in turn is to serve others. Jesus said,"Let your will be done". If per chance, this is our question, to where we now find ourselves standing in life, then I believe this is the answer. "Let your will be done". No matter where it leads us, or what it leaves us with. "Let your will be done". Let us put our full trust in Him, for we know His plans for us, far out weighs anything that we can ever imagine. No regrets. I know not what tomorrow may bring, but the one thing I know is He and I will walk together to bring His will in my life to pass. Oh, and you need not answer the question, it was meant only for all to think about. Blessings to you and all in Christ Jesus!

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,779.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I would say "Ditch the t.v." The Father told me to do that some years ago, and I did finally comply, but it took awhile . Wish I'd done it sooner.

I'd tell myself to take the words very seriously from our Savior about healing the sick, raising the dead, casting out evil spirits. I'd say to focus more on the members of the Holy Trinity and way less on me and my concerns and desires.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Solomons Porch...remember you said tell myself lol. Now this maybe cause I am called ... its something that burns to this day.. pray for hours.. to give every moment every second every thought to HIM and I have not. And the Internet does not have all the answers and ..you can get lost there lol...

Also.. Jesus came to give us LIFE and more abundantly. To enjoy LIFE so much more. When we give HIM all.. He in turn gives it back.. SO MUCH MORE! To trust Him.. no.. in what you cant see touch hear taste you name it.. to trust Him. Have faith in Him. Church.. always wise to go to.

Sorry..well that was like the classic answer...all true. This stuff I said lol is before 40 . stop being lazy..say YES more then no..its ok to have fun..not everything is evil blah blah blah.

So.. prayer.. trust..faith, God..really does answer with "what do YOU want?" Where do you think that desire came from? And remind myself..this life is so short.. you have that desire.. just do it[URL='https://www.christianforums.com/members/solomons-porch.394274/'] [/URL]

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
its something that burns to this day.. pray for hours.. to give every moment every second every thought to HIM and I have not. And the Internet does not have all the answers and ..you can get lost there lol...

Also.. Jesus came to give us LIFE and more abundantly. To enjoy LIFE so much more. When we give HIM all.. He in turn gives it back.. SO MUCH MORE! To trust Him.. no.. in what you cant see touch hear taste you name it.. to trust Him. Have faith in Him. Church.. always wise to go to.

And remind myself..this life is so short.. you have that desire.. just do it

I'm not in my 40's yet but I will keep those things in mind

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being in my 30s I know what I would tell myself in the future.... "Remember all God has done for you in the past. If you are going through anything in the future, remember you can choose whether or not to go down a good or bad path! You know your past and you know what its like to from a terrible hateful christian to a loving one who loves God. Be that person who is loving and loves God. Don't go back to that hateful person just because of a trial! When I reach the age of when you got this message I want to be able to say "Go me! Such great advice!"".

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, it took so long for me to respond. Got kinda busy :)
What kind of things led you to homelessness?
Welp, long story really really short version. Big mistake marrying someone and being involved with someone. I was married and had 2 kids by the age of 20, I had been with him (now ex-husband) since I was 13 and then divorced in my mid 30's (mistake #1). I was working in law enforcement (8 yrs) and some shady things were happening in the department, I would not comply with the "standards" (which were very wrong, to say the least). I was actually Jail Administrator, I worked long and hard hours, and of course being a female in this line of work, required me to prove myself more than the men, and that I did. I climbed the ladder quickly. BUT one day a gentleman was hired and even though I protested to the Sheriff, he was hired anyway, and in the end, this man found a way to slither to the good graces of the sheriff and chief, he went along with their dirty deeds, and I would not. I stood my ground, during this same time I was going thru a divorce, my husband and myself had simply grown apart, I grew up, he did not. One day I get a call to turn in my weapons, uniforms, keys and all the records that I had, no warning, but I knew why it was happening, the man they hired had slithered his way into the sheriff and chiefs evil box and thus, I got the boot. I had a lot of dirt on them and they knew it, so I was fired. I was making great money, had my own place, kids were in Junior/Senior high. Met a deputy while working in law enforcement and with an unguarded heart and not listening to God as I should've, I eventually married him. (Mistake #2) I knew in my heart that I should not have married him, even though I did love him, something kept telling me no ( I ignored Gods warning).

Finally gave into his proposals and then everything went down hill. One day he had been drinking heavily and was acting up, I called one of our cop buddies to just come over and have a talk with him and calm him down (mistake #3), next thing I know I have a yard full of my cop friends and my husband eventually lost his job with the department. So now, 2 job loss and running out of money quickly. Sold everything right down to the clothes on our back. Thus equals - no home.

First, I don't apologize for standing my ground against a crooked sheriff department and police department, I wouldn't have done anything different there. Second, I shouldn't have married him and it was an unequal yoke for sure, then the third mistake would not have happened. And thru the years there was a lot of turmoil with him. But even to this day, I'm hanging in there and praying for him like a mad woman. I have to live with my mistakes and am still doing so, but God has blessed me thru my bad choices and I believe with all my heart there is a purpose for all these things happening.
Was it your own sin or just random happenings?
It was a combo of my NOT LISTENING to the warning from God and of course my husbands bad bad decisions.

Do you really think that is what God is doing to me?
It very well could be what He is doing, and like I said earlier, I am NOW appreciating everything I learned. So my advice would be to get very very intimate with listening to God, draw close to Him, listen to that small nudge from the Holy Spirit. He will direct every step you take if you listen. Trust Him, even when you can't see a way, still trust Him. Faith moves mountains and there's no reason for it to take forever to learn something, so get in there and fully give it to God, not just a small part, I mean all of it. I could've changed things many times had I heeded Gods warnings and had I done what He told me to do, but I became lazy in heart and spirit, just had an "oh well" attitude, but, I am thankful for those hard lessons. Both my kids are grown and married, working within the church, my daughter is worship leader and also works with the local women's shelter, my son is going to be a preacher and sings, plays drums. So I couldn't be more proud of them, because I instilled into them the values of a Godly home, took em to church, prayed with them, studied with them. Just don't ever give up, don't ever back down, hold your ground and keep ALL YOUR FAITH in Christ, put no trust in yourself, but commit everything you do, to Him. Here's a little something to inspire you.

Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If my 50ish self (cough) could go back and tell my 18 year old self something, it would be to honor God in ALL your decisions, to live through the Holy Spirit and not within your own power (even when your desire is to do what is "right"), and to PRAISE and THANK God daily for His provision.

Oh to have the wisdom I have many times painfully learned, at 18, that I possess now...

Upvote 0