✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a Mormon.

But I would think that any thinking Mormon would look at the simple gospel (what it takes to get to Heaven as opposed to Hell) as seen before Mormonism came on the scene and using only the scriptures without the Mormon related revelations.

Then compare what it takes in Mormonism with it's extra revelations to that.

That's all it would take.

Any intelligent person would run from Mormonism like a scalded cat.
The gospel has not changed:
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Ahhhh - the old "lets use the words of the worldly preacher in Ecclesiastes to teach another gospel" ploy.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Curious, what do you think the word "gospel" means?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Mormon gospel:
"The gospel is our Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness."

According to doctrine of the Latter Day-Saint movement, the plan of salvation (also known as the plan of happiness) is a plan that God created to save, redeem, and exalt humankind, through the atonement of Jesus Christ.
Plan of salvation (Latter Day Saints) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Any intelligent person would run from Mormonism like a scalded cat.

You might want to rethink that. There are a lot of intelligent people in their church, but that doesn't cause them to seek for truth somewhere else. God has to open a person's eyes.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Members of The Church Of Jesus Christ were taught that smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages are bad for a person's health by a revelation given to Joseph Smith. He received this revelation as a result of a comment from his wife Emma. So if smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages can be proven healthy then I would have a good reason to leave.
What about the health benefits of coffee?

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might want to rethink that. There are a lot of intelligent people in their church, but that doesn't cause them to seek for truth somewhere else. God has to open a person's eyes.
The ones who investigate as I proposed would be the ones in whom God moved by His Spirit and for whom God would open their eyes. Those in whom God had moved in that way and who had their eyes opened to truth would run like scalded cats because of what the Holy Spirit revealed to them.

The inward call of God is irresistible.

Capeesh?

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. The insult is duly noted.

2. Did you see my post about how far too many mainline Christians treat us? Why would anyone want to join that?
Because we are told, "...even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:8

AND - Because we are told to "be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Tim. 4:2-5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ahhhh - the old "lets use the words of the worldly preacher in Ecclesiastes to teach another gospel" ploy.
Still not changed:
(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

(New Testament | Matthew 5:18)

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Curious, what do you think the word "gospel" means?

-CryptoLutheran
Gospel means good news. Christ gave us the good news:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:16 - 17)

16 ¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The commandments are all about LOVE. The gospel is all about LOVE. God is LOVE. It is impossible to know LOVE unless a person keeps the commandments:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:4)

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

(New Testament | John 17:3)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
What about the health benefits of coffee?

Science keeps going back and forth on the risks vs. rewards in regards to coffee and alcohol.

With coffee, 4 cups is about the most a person can have in a day before the caffeine content starts to become an issue, and a report that came out a few days ago found that once a person hits 6 a day they wind up at risk of severe cardiac issues.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Because we are told, "...even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:8

AND - Because we are told to "be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Tim. 4:2-5

People have expressed a desire to see us dead.

This includes members of mainline Christian groups.

What about that would make a person want to join one of those mainline groups?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Gospel means good news. Christ gave us the good news:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:16 - 17)

16 ¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The commandments are all about LOVE. The gospel is all about LOVE. God is LOVE. It is impossible to know LOVE unless a person keeps the commandments:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:4)

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

(New Testament | John 17:3)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Explain how obeying commandments is good news.
Also, who is it good news for?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"More than 4 cups of coffee linked to early death. A Mayo Clinic partnered study found that men who drank more than four 8 fl.oz. cups of coffee had a 21% increase in all-cause mortality."
Yet there are also findings just the opposite about drinking caffeine having positive affects on one's health. It does seem, from my own experience, that coffee is far more safer than drinking other caffeine alternatives, like Energy drinks.

It seems to me from experience these drinks in moderation pose no problem for one's health as a universal rule. Only when taken in excess and even then, four cups of coffee has never made me feel like how I used to feel when I drank energy drinks.

Would you argue the opposition to these things comes from health concerns only or is there some other concern about these drinks? The only problem is addiction, not the potential health effects, since almost anything we consume could be dangerous if taken to excess.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Science keeps going back and forth on the risks vs. rewards in regards to coffee and alcohol.

With coffee, 4 cups is about the most a person can have in a day before the caffeine content starts to become an issue, and a report that came out a few days ago found that once a person hits 6 a day they wind up at risk of severe cardiac issues.

This would not seem like justification enough to ban coffee outright. Having one a day won't hurt you so the total ban would seem to imply there is something wrong with Mormon teaching. In fact there are positive findings with regards to coffee drinkers.

Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 89:12 - 13)

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Hopefully you are following those commands and being a vegan

Upvote 0