What would happen if same-sex marriage were legalised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
God is never irrelevant to the affairs of men and I suggest you study what the Founding Fathers had to say about the importance of the gospel of Jesus to men, even deists like Benjamin Franklin recognized the good in His gospel.
"It is not to be understood that I am with him (Jesus Christ) in all his doctrines. I am a Materialist; he takes the side of Spiritualism, he preaches the efficacy of repentance toward forgiveness of sin; I require a counterpoise of good works to redeem it." - Thomas Jefferson to Carey, 1816

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity."
- Benjamin Franklin, Works, Vol. VII, p. 75

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."
- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

You get the jist. The Founding Fathers were at best apathetic to Christianity and the 'good book', and at worst actively rejected it.

God created man and created the institution of marriage for men and women so yes, I am certain of its origins. What men have done with it over his history is another thing.
If God created the institute of marriage, why does it matter what secular governments do with marriage licenses? God will recognise whatever marriages he wants to right?

I know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land, that it reflects many of the teachings of God and that the Supreme Court is obligated to base its decisions on it rather than inventing 'rights' out of its own imagination.
I agree with Jase: you sorely need a refresher course in the constitutional law.

God has indeed given men the freedom to deny and reject Him and many obviously take advantage of that. On the flip side, if gays want to 'marry' as I've said earlier in this thread they are free to declare themselves married but they don't have the right to force me or anyone else to recognize their union as a marriage and treat it as legitimate ... or as you might say 'it none of their business'.
Indeed, but the purpose of this thread isn't to get you to acknowledge same-sex unions. It's to ascertain the ramifications of the state acknowledging same-sex unions (namely, by making same-sex marriages legally equivalent to opposite-sex marriages). If you think gay people care what you think, you're quite mistaken.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Anytime there is a conflict between what God tells us to do and what man tells us to do, God wants us to follow Him (look at your second quote from scripture). God did not establish governments to bring men to faith as He governs not from top to bottom or outside in but from inside the man outward.
And where did God say that a secular institution established by the people offering government benefits falls under "thing's that are of God"?

Do you oppose atheists getting married too? Doesn't God reject their marriage?

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Because majority=right. Let's ask the slaves it took us centuries to liberate if they thought the majority opinion was correct, then.

No, God is right and man is quite often dead wrong. Right and wrong are not subjective or subject to the whims of a majority but neither are they subject to the whims of a minority.

Irrelevant in secular society. God also speaks against adultery (it's actually one of those commandments) and divorce, but those actions are not prohibited by law. Try again, please.

God can be ignored but He is hardly irrelevant to the affairs of men. Man in his foolishness has discarded much of what God teaches us and we suffer greatly for it.

Also irrelevant in a secular society. If you want a theocracy, I suggest moving to the Middle East.

You're showing how little you know about God, Jesus never taught theocracy.

And yet we're still not a theocracy. I'm a heterosexual atheist. I've decided God has no consequence in my life, and I do it while under legal protection of our Constitution. If you can find a non-theist argument that holds water as to why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, I'd like to hear it. "Because God says so" is not a reason in a country that celebrates the freedom of and FROM religion.

And you're also showing a lack of knowledge of what the Constitution says about freedom of religion. There is no right to freedom from religion as you claim. I and other people of faith have every right to observe our faith in public. You are under no obligation to agree with or observe any religion yourself but you have no right to complain if for example I choose to say grace before eating a meal at a restaurant you're also in.

If you don't want God in your life so be it but your beliefs don't make God irrelevant, He is intimately involved in our affairs whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God can be ignored but He is hardly irrelevant to the affairs of men. Man in his foolishness has discarded much of what God teaches us and we suffer greatly for it.

We're not talking about the affairs of men. You keep inserting that -- we're talking about the affairs of a nation with no establishment of religion. God can recognize whatever he cares to recognize, regardless of what the nation does. The point being if you were so secure in your faith, the practices or national recognition of others wouldn't matter to you. You already think they're going to Hell (or so I presume), so what does the secular recognition of marriage (the right to a union as well as all the legal benefits heterosexual couples already claim) do that you think God does not already do?

And you're also showing a lack of knowledge of what the Constitution says about freedom of religion. There is no right to freedom from religion as you claim. I and other people of faith have every right to observe our faith in public. You are under no obligation to agree with or observe any religion yourself but you have no right to complain if for example I choose to say grace before eating a meal at a restaurant you're also in.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The bolded part? Yeah, that would be what I was talking about.

I have never stopped anyone from exercising religion, but seeing as (re: Bill of Rights, Amendment 1), there is no ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION, governing under God's rule is not constitutional. If you can't recognize black and white, there's little sense debating.

Also?

You are under no obligation to agree with or observe any religion yourself

You just made my point for me. Thanks. No one is under a legal obligation to observe religion in their life. So why do you continue to force your religion down the throats of others when it comes to matters that don't concern you? To make this as simple as possible: you're promoting the equivalent of my protesting a family bowing their heads at Steak n Shake to thank God for their meal. I don't observe God, but I don't stop others from adhering to their faith. You observe God and...you want to force others to adhere to your faith in their private lives by prohibiting them from legal marriage?

Please stick to what I actually said. Or better yet, point out where I indicated Jesus taught theocracy. You'll have a hard time of it. I never bought up anything of what Jesus taught. What I did say was we don't live in a theocracy (which is a government that makes rules based on religious law or thought) -- you indicate a want to govern based on religious law or thought, at least in part. If you want a government that does that, you better look outside the USA.

I'll wait for a rational non-theistic argument against gay marriage, but don't worry. I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
No, God is right and man is quite often dead wrong. Right and wrong are not subjective or subject to the whims of a majority but neither are they subject to the whims of a minority.

Nor are they subject to your whims, either.

tell that to the Christians who secretly and not-so-secretly desire it.

Agreed -- but nor am I required to foot the bill for your religious ceremonies.

If you don't want God in your life so be it but your beliefs don't make God irrelevant, He is intimately involved in our affairs whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

Suppose I don't care to pay for it?

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"It is not to be understood that I am with him (Jesus Christ) in all his doctrines. I am a Materialist; he takes the side of Spiritualism, he preaches the efficacy of repentance toward forgiveness of sin; I require a counterpoise of good works to redeem it." - Thomas Jefferson to Carey, 1816

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity."
- Benjamin Franklin, Works, Vol. VII, p. 75

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."
- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

You get the jist. The Founding Fathers were at best apathetic to Christianity and the 'good book', and at worst actively rejected i.

Nonsense ... refuted by the very words of the Founding Fathers that are readily available to anyone who cares to look ... Quotes of the Founders : Founding Fathers quotes on religion, faith, Christianity

If God created the institute of marriage, why does it matter what secular governments do with marriage licenses? God will recognise whatever marriages he wants to right?

Gays are as I've already stated free to hold whatever ceremony they care to, exchange vows and rings, declare themselves 'married' and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. Gay marriage is about gaining 'rights' through flawed court rulings that force those who disagree with them to cater to them or face legal penalties.

I agree with Jase: you sorely need a refresher course in the constitutional law.

Whether you or Jase care to acknowledge it or not the Supreme Court is bound by the Constitution and is not free to make up rights or legislate. It is absurd to believe a woman's right to privacy the SCOTUS discovered in the Constitution supercedes a baby's right to life. Men can believe that if they wish but they will be tried for murder in God's court and will find that man's laws and flawed court rulings will avail them nothing before Jesus.

Indeed, but the purpose of this thread isn't to get you to acknowledge same-sex unions. It's to ascertain the ramifications of the state acknowledging same-sex unions (namely, by making same-sex marriages legally equivalent to opposite-sex marriages).

And I've addressed that. Gays would gain 'rights' that require employers to treat partners in gay marriages the same as they treat a husband or wife in a legitimate marriage, it would require that 'public accomocations' like hotels and cruise ships cater to them even though gay sexual intimacy is an abomination to God and would be repugnant to Christian owners of such accomodations.

If you think gay people care what you think, you're quite mistaken.

If sinful men and women don't care about what God thinks, of course they won't give a hoot about what I think. Why would you even consider that I might think otherwise? On the flip side, God does not give credence to men who think His holiness and wisdom are irrelevant ... no matter how strongly they may feel they are.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Exactly what it says on the tin. What would happen if same-sex marriage were legalised?

Same-sex couples would be able to get married.

Which, IMHO, would be a good thing.

David.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
[/size]Gays are as I've already stated free to hold whatever ceremony they care to, exchange vows and rings, declare themselves 'married' and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. Gay marriage is about gaining 'rights' through flawed court rulings that force those who disagree with them to cater to them or face legal penalties.

It's not gay marriage. It's same-sex marriage. The two people in a same-sex marriage are not necessarily gay, any more than the two people in an opposite-sex marriage are necessarily straight. (I could rant all day about bisexual invisibility. I won't, but, y'know, please, be a bit more precise with your terminology.)

David.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While I was in college, one of the courses I took touched on that...
The "Founding Fathers" were trying to ensure that there would be no state religion like the COE.
Their forefathers had immigrated to NA to basically escape the requirements concerning worship, and the persecutions that arose from those requirements.
They had just fought a long, bloody war to distance us from,in part, that system of state religion. They in no way wanted a carry over of that system.
Therefore, they insured Freedom OF Religion...Worship as you please, or not at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Oh, and the dead would rise from their graves to eat our flesh.

Really? Rabbits. I've not played Dead Rising in ages, my zombie-killing skills are really rusty right now...

David.

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

While I was in college, one of the courses I took touched on that...
The "Founding Fathers" were trying to ensure that there would be no state religion like the COE.
Their forefathers had immigrated to NA to basically escape the requirements concerning worship, and the persecutions that arose from those requirements.
They had just fought a long, bloody war to distance us from,in part, that system of state religion. They in no way wanted a carry over of that system.
Therefore, they insured Freedom OF Religion...Worship as you please, or not at all.

We're not talking about worship though (and you and I are in agreement, there). The Founding Fathers went to extraordinary lengths to make the Constitution a non-religious document. If they wanted to impart the law of God, they had every opportunity to do so -- and could have used the word Jefferson used in the DoI (from a deist POV). Fact remains the only early-American document that acknowledges any "creator" is the Declaration of Independence, which was not written as a United States piece of legislation seeing as there was no "United States" in 1775, just colonies fighting for liberation. The actual Constitution was written in 1787 after the failed Articles of Confederation (1777).

It is a fascinating subject, though. :)

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Nonsense ... refuted by the very words of the Founding Fathers that are readily available to anyone who cares to look ... Quotes of the Founders : Founding Fathers quotes on religion, faith, Christianity
We could go back and forth all day, slinging quotes from the Founding Fathers. I wonder if you have any unbiased sources, though - a ministry is hardly going to give a balanced appreciation of the evidence.

Gays are as I've already stated free to hold whatever ceremony they care to, exchange vows and rings, declare themselves 'married' and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. Gay marriage is about gaining 'rights' through flawed court rulings that force those who disagree with them to cater to them or face legal penalties.
Indeed, and the same can be said about those who championed intteracial marriage. You've yet to explain why any of this is bad.

Whether you or Jase care to acknowledge it or not the Supreme Court is bound by the Constitution and is not free to make up rights or legislate. It is absurd to believe a woman's right to privacy the SCOTUS discovered in the Constitution supercedes a baby's right to life.
Again, take a course in constitutional law, and take note of the nature of 'rights' in the constitution: they're not granted, they're recognised. Key difference. The Founding Fathers believed that men had inalienable rights, and the constitution was written to legally protect those rights, not to create them. The constitution was never meant to be an exhaustive list of rights.

Men can believe that if they wish but they will be tried for murder in God's court and will find that man's laws and flawed court rulings will avail them nothing before Jesus.
So why do you care about what human courts rule?

And I've addressed that. Gays would gain 'rights' that require employers to treat partners in gay marriages the same as they treat a husband or wife in a legitimate marriage, it would require that 'public accomocations' like hotels and cruise ships cater to them even though gay sexual intimacy is an abomination to God and would be repugnant to Christian owners of such accomodations.
Indeed. Again, so what? Where is the immorality in this? Why do you oppose legislation that protects against discrimination? Would you champion a racist who turned black and asian people away?

If sinful men and women don't care about what God thinks, of course they won't give a hoot about what I think. Why would you even consider that I might think otherwise? On the flip side, God does not give credence to men who think His holiness and wisdom are irrelevant ... no matter how strongly they may feel they are.
If I have to answer to God, I will present to him the same logic and evidence that I use to support my beliefs. If God favours blind faith over independent thought and rationality, then that is not a god worth worshipping.

But we digress :)

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a Christian web site and the perspective of many members here is Christian.

Yes, and I am Christian, and my perspective is Christian; as a Christian, I cannot advocate that the united states base its laws around Christianity, as that would be a violation of separation of church and state.

God's commandments take precedence over anything men might prefer be it sex with a member of the same sex, divorce at whim, theft ad infinitum.

Let me break this down; just bc the Bible says gaysex is wrong doesn't mean we make laws based upon the fact that says gay sex is wrong.

Men cannot create a 'right' to do what God condemns and to equate racism with distaste for the abomination of homosexuality is bizarre to say the least.

Its not bizarre; people like you (with a xenophobic disposition to cultures different from your own) a hundred years ago would say the same thing about interracial marriage, saying it was an abomination to God and country.

Men don't create rights; we are born with them, and they're unalienable. Life liberty and the persuit of happiness.

Also, if we're going to legislate based on what one religion says, we'd have to legislate based upon what EVERY religion says. Which is just weird.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
We could go back and forth all day, slinging quotes from the Founding Fathers. I wonder if you have any unbiased sources, though - a ministry is hardly going to give a balanced appreciation of the evidence.

Unbiased sources? Those were direct quotes from the FF found in speeches, personal letters, diaries etc.

Indeed, and the same can be said about those who championed intteracial marriage. You've yet to explain why any of this is bad.

Have you ever examined the sins that God condemned like homosexuality, disposable marriages, drunkeness, theft, fornication etc. and the effects of ignoring God telling us not to do these things? There is a substantial body of evidence that these things are indeed harmful to us and we would be better off if we didn't do them. Race isn't a choice, who we sleep with is a choice and there is no valid comparison of the racism (which has no justification in the Bible) of those who oppose interacial marriage and those who oppose gay 'marriage'.

Again, take a course in constitutional law, and take note of the nature of 'rights' in the constitution: they're not granted, they're recognised. Key difference. The Founding Fathers believed that men had inalienable rights, and the constitution was written to legally protect those rights, not to create them. The constitution was never meant to be an exhaustive list of rights.

Rights are inalienable and granted by our Creator ... they are not something that are bestowed upon us by other men or institutions like governments and I marvel that you ignore what they said about the source of those inalienable rights so ... "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL men are created equal, and are endowed by their CREATOR with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". Rights do not conflict with one another and the right to life of an unborn baby takes precedence over the mythical right to 'privacy' that the SCOTUS found in the Constitution in their Roe v Wade ruling.

So why do you care about what human courts rule?

Flawed rulings by human courts have justified the murder of people (unborn children, Jews etc), have led to the violation of property rights in preference to the mythical right not to be discriminated against (some discrimination is irrational and wicked such as racism and some discrimination is warranted such as against those with severe moral flaws such as child molestors and other dysfunctional behaviors including homosexuality).

Indeed. Again, so what? Where is the immorality in this? Why do you oppose legislation that protects against discrimination? Would you champion a racist who turned black and asian people away?

See my previous answer above.

If I have to answer to God, I will present to him the same logic and evidence that I use to support my beliefs. If God favours blind faith over independent thought and rationality, then that is not a god worth worshipping.

There is nothing 'blind' about the faith of the true Christian. God calls for us to seek knowledge and wisdom, to reason, to study to show ourselves approved, to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith and to be able to give reason for our confidence in Jesus. God tells us many things in the Bible that can be tested for accuracy and they are invariably found to be true. With that being the case I have confidence I can trust what God says about those things we cannot test or verify. If it were not the case than such trust would not be warranted and indeed 'blind'.

As to how you might answer God, it will be a shock for all sinners to meet Jesus in all His glory, power, love and justice. The sinner will know Jesus is exactly who He has said He is and all the pretenses the sinner embraced to justify his sin are just that, pretenses that cannot stand before a Holy God. I suspect the sinner will be too ashamed to mount a defense of their sin because they will see their sin for the evil that it was and that God gave them every opportunity to know the truth. This will be true not only of homosexuals but fornicators, thieves (including those who robbed their fellow man by government proxy), drunkards, the many men and women who presented themselves as preachers of God's word when in truth they just found it a convenient way to get the gullible to send them money that they could then spend on their own lusts of the flesh etc.

Considering the rampant wickedness that men display today and have throughout history, it should be obvious to even the dimmest of people that God is not a tyrant who forces obedience and that His commandments are not devices to deny men joy but to prevent them from harming themselves and their fellow man. He is worthy of worship and that likely will be the reason for the sinner to wail and gnash his teeth because they will finally realize what they have thrown away by catering to their lusts of the flesh and they will be horrified to have Jesus' judgment upon them, to have to give an account of every idle word they have spoken, of every evil they have done, to have Jesus' wrath poured out upon them and then be cast into hell and the lake of fire which is the second death.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is never irrelevant to the affairs of men and I suggest you study what the Founding Fathers had to say about the importance of the gospel of Jesus to men, even deists like Benjamin Franklin recognized the good in His gospel.

Thats great; but we still don't legislate based upon what ANY religion says.

God created man and created the institution of marriage for men and women so yes, I am certain of its origins. What men have done with it over his history is another thing.

You honestly cannot say that without seeing how its just a tad bit delusional?

I know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land, that it reflects many of the teachings of God and that the Supreme Court is obligated to base its decisions on it rather than inventing 'rights' out of its own imagination.

So, how does the separation of church and state reflect the teachings of God?

God has indeed given men the freedom to deny and reject Him and many obviously take advantage of that. On the flip side, if gays want to 'marry' as I've said earlier in this thread they are free to declare themselves married but they don't have the right to force me or anyone else to recognize their union as a marriage and treat it as legitimate ... or as you might say 'it none of their business'.

Well, you will be forced to treat it as legitimate if your business or establishment grants some type of benefit for married couples, you will have to recognize their marriage because legally they are married. Religiously, however, you don't have to acknowledge their marriage. But, legally, you will have to still grant them the same benefits as other married heterosexual couples, because the law doesn't give a hoot about what your religion thinks about it.

I believe there are some old cases from insurance companies that would insure interracial couples bc they had some religious reasons for it. Needless to say those insurance companies aren't around anymore.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Unbiased sources? Those were direct quotes from the FF found in speeches, personal letters, diaries etc.
As were mine.

Have you ever examined the sins that God condemned like homosexuality, disposable marriages, drunkeness, theft, fornication etc. and the effects of ignoring God telling us not to do these things? There is a substantial body of evidence that these things are indeed harmful to us and we would be better off if we didn't do them. Race isn't a choice, who we sleep with is a choice and there is no valid comparison of the racism (which has no justification in the Bible) of those who oppose interacial marriage and those who oppose gay 'marriage'.
First, I would like to see this evidence. The entire topic is the ramifications of the legalisation of same-sex marriage - so if you think there exists a large body of evidence demonstrating that such a thing is harmful, one wonders why you're keeping it from us.

Second, you've done exactly what I asked you not to: hand-wave away my query without actually answering it. Yes, I know race and sexuality are different. But that doesn't answer my question. Would you, or would you not, champion a racist who discriminated against an interracial couple, if it was his or her religious belief to do so?

Rights are inalienable and granted by our Creator ... they are not something that are bestowed upon us by other men or institutions like governments and I marvel that you ignore what they said about the source of those inalienable rights so ... "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL men are created equal, and are endowed by their CREATOR with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". Rights do not conflict with one another and the right to life of an unborn baby takes precedence over the mythical right to 'privacy' that the SCOTUS found in the Constitution in their Roe v Wade ruling.
First, the mention of the Creator was in the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution, wherein the rights are enshrined.
Second, it reflects the founding father's beliefs on the origin of those inalienable rights. As deists and non-believers, the founding fathers attributed rights as endowed by a generic Creator - but did not require that everyone believe the same. The Constitution does not require a religious test before rights can be legally protected. They are afforded to all people.
Third, as a collection of deists and non-believers, it is unlikely that they'd accept Bible-based arguments for prohibiting rights to certain minority groups.
Fourth, the right to life is afforded to persons, humans of legal standing - an unborn foetus is not considered a person. As such, the right to life does not apply, any more than it applies to a dead person.

In essence, the Constitution defines rights as things that exist apart from political legislation - whether the law recognises them or not, constitutionally, all humans have all rights all the time, whether or not the law currently recognises them. The Constitution makes provisions for certain rights, but does not restrict future legislation from recognising the existence of others - for instance, the right to privacy, or the right to equal recognition of union.

Flawed rulings by human courts have justified the murder of people (unborn children, Jews etc), have led to the violation of property rights in preference to the mythical right not to be discriminated against (some discrimination is irrational and wicked such as racism and some discrimination is warranted such as against those with severe moral flaws such as child molestors and other dysfunctional behaviors including homosexuality).
Nonetheless, simple perceiving a person to be inherently immoral (be it because they're gay or black) is not grounds for protection. Discrimination laws exist to protect the minority from the majority. A Christian couple offering a public service has no more right to discriminate against a gay person than they do against a black person. The reason for their discrimination is utterly irrelevant.

There is nothing 'blind' about the faith of the true Christian. God calls for us to seek knowledge and wisdom, to reason, to study to show ourselves approved, to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith and to be able to give reason for our confidence in Jesus. God tells us many things in the Bible that can be tested for accuracy and they are invariably found to be true. With that being the case I have confidence I can trust what God says about those things we cannot test or verify. If it were not the case than such trust would not be warranted and indeed 'blind'.
I'd be interested in discussing these testable things, but because I don't want to derail my thread, I welcome you to PM me instead.

As to how you might answer God, it will be a shock for all sinners to meet Jesus in all His glory, power, love and justice. The sinner will know Jesus is exactly who He has said He is and all the pretenses the sinner embraced to justify his sin are just that, pretenses that cannot stand before a Holy God. I suspect the sinner will be too ashamed to mount a defense of their sin because they will see their sin for the evil that it was and that God gave them every opportunity to know the truth. This will be true not only of homosexuals but fornicators, thieves (including those who robbed their fellow man by government proxy), drunkards, the many men and women who presented themselves as preachers of God's word when in truth they just found it a convenient way to get the gullible to send them money that they could then spend on their own lusts of the flesh etc.
Well, upon death, we shall both find out. Until then, I have only my rationality to guide me.

Considering the rampant wickedness that men display today and have throughout history, it should be obvious to even the dimmest of people that God is not a tyrant who forces obedience and that His commandments are not devices to deny men joy but to prevent them from harming themselves and their fellow man.
I disagree.

He is worthy of worship and that likely will be the reason for the sinner to wail and gnash his teeth because they will finally realize what they have thrown away by catering to their lusts of the flesh and they will be horrified to have Jesus' judgment upon them, to have to give an account of every idle word they have spoken, of every evil they have done, to have Jesus' wrath poured out upon them and then be cast into hell and the lake of fire which is the second death.
One wonders why a being alleged to be loving, just, merciful, worthy of worship, etc, would allow people to burn in Hell for such banal things as "every idle word they have spoken", or for engaging in the victimless activity of finding love and companionship with someone of their own sex.

Like I said, God, as presented by you and most other Christians, is not a being I would want to worship.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're not talking about worship though (and you and I are in agreement, there). The Founding Fathers went to extraordinary lengths to make the Constitution a non-religious document. If they wanted to impart the law of God, they had every opportunity to do so -- and could have used the word Jefferson used in the DoI (from a deist POV). Fact remains the only early-American document that acknowledges any "creator" is the Declaration of Independence, which was not written as a United States piece of legislation seeing as there was no "United States" in 1775, just colonies fighting for liberation. The actual Constitution was written in 1787 after the failed Articles of Confederation (1777).

It is a fascinating subject, though. :)

I was trying to point out that that clause of the Constitution did not mean freedom FROM religion...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.