Mar 14, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟7,796.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
"As day by day America’s shame blazes across the television sets of the world, and we craft a multi-generational bloodbath to bequeath our children, I have a question for my evangelical Christian brothers and sisters: What will it take for us to come to our senses regarding our long gruesome trail of wreckage in Iraq?"

John Dwyer article here

Grace & Peace, Rab

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rab Tull said:
"As day by day America’s shame blazes across the television sets of the world, and we craft a multi-generational bloodbath to bequeath our children, I have a question for my evangelical Christian brothers and sisters: What will it take for us to come to our senses regarding our long gruesome trail of wreckage in Iraq?"

John Dwyer article here

Grace & Peace, Rab

...when he was letting a decadent (and alternately hyper-judgmental) Jerusalem know what was coming as a result of its behavior.

I know that if I were an Iraqi, and I were seeing pictures of what has gone on in Al Gharib Prison at the hands of the American "liberators", I'd be livid.

Reactions: ACougar
Upvote 0

renegade pariah

Apr 28, 2004
✟1,403.00
Faith
Christian
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"When you see a child five years old with no head what can you say?" asks one doctor in Fallujah. "When you see a child with no brain, just an open cavity, what can you say? When you see a mother just hold her infant with no head and the shells are all over her body."[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]What will it take, fellow Christian?[/font]

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yup and it would have been better to let Saddam keep dropping people into plastic shredders, dipping them in acid, having women raped in front of their husbands, and all sorts of things. At least this way the tragedy stops eventually.

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
flesh99 said:
Yup and it would have been better to let Saddam keep dropping people into plastic shredders, dipping them in acid, having women raped in front of their husbands, and all sorts of things. At least this way the tragedy stops eventually.

It would have been beter to wait for the iraqi's to rebel...

Upvote 0

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith

I think that the fear, now buttressed by the mounting evidence of events, was that all this would begin and continue tragedy, rather than end it.

The whole world wished SH gone, but by legal and consensual process. By jumping the gun on legality, the freelance bucaneers of the coalition, have put everything at risk: Iraq, law, world peace, even Christianity.

None of this adventure can ever be justified and redeemed in the evil of SH.
Added evil only adds to existing evil, it never diminishes it.
Only truth redeems, and we have never had that on our side in this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that there's a certain amount of fallacy of the excluded middle here. It is not clear whether the only possible options were "this war just as we're doing it now" and "Saddam in power without any checks or hindrances". I suspect there were other options, which we might have preferred.

Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
seebs said:
I think that there's a certain amount of fallacy of the excluded middle here. It is not clear whether the only possible options were "this war just as we're doing it now" and "Saddam in power without any checks or hindrances". I suspect there were other options, which we might have preferred.

Have you noticed that in the last few years the US has become totally incapable of understanding issues other than in black vs white terms. This is being exploited by the powers that be to garantee that almost any position taken by government or bussiness can only be discussed in this deulisim.

As a result of this it has been possible to drum up about 50% support for Bush. This is incredible. Nowhere else on the planet could a government lie, stonewall and break international law while insulting and threatening close allies, and then still be able to manipulate the public oppinion to a 50-50 split. Whats truly amazing is that Bush is campaigning on the issue of national security. I think it may be true that americans dont understand Irony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith
Exactly the same sad, ironic circumstance holds on this side of the Atlantic too.
TB has done all that GWB has: perhaps with more subtlety; but none the less as definitely.

There is a dark perspective in these tragic ironies: that still remains to be drawn; or, I at least have still to take the full measure of this dark perspective.

marshlewis said:
Have you noticed that in the last few years the US has become totally incapable of understanding issues other than in black vs white terms. This is being exploited by the powers that be to garantee that almost any position taken by government or bussiness can only be discussed in this deulisim.

As a result of this it has been possible to drum up about 50% support for Bush. This is incredible. Nowhere else on the planet could a government lie, stonewall and break international law while insulting and threatening close allies, and then still be able to manipulate the public oppinion to a 50-50 split. Whats truly amazing is that Bush is campaigning on the issue of national security. I think it may be true that americans dont understand Irony.

Reactions: marshlewis
Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
flesh99 said:

When America does something like this, God honors it because we're a Christian country and He favors us.

When Iraq does something like this, God is punishing them because they're a Muslim country and God hates them.

Uhmmm -- I think I'm going to stick with my analogy to the prophet Jeremiah.

Upvote 0