Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I doubt that, if you read the bible in it's entirety, it specifically points out that God's people have unatural abilities. Abilities that defy logic and reason, abilities that can only come from God himself.

...and I'm sure--I do believe--that some disciple has done each of those things. As I recall, there was no promise that every last Christian would perform every one of those acts described in Scripture.

Indeed, the New Testament states in several places that each of us has his own role to play in Christ's church and that they're not all the same.

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
...and I'm sure--I do believe--that some disciple has done each of those things. As I recall, there was no promise that every last Christian would perform every one of those acts described in Scripture.

Indeed, the New Testament states in several places that each of us has his own role to play in Christ's church and that they're not all the same.

I agree. 1 Cor 12:10 tells us that not every Christian has these gifts.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt that, if you read the bible in it's entirety, it specifically points out that God's people have unatural abilities. Abilities that defy logic and reason, abilities that can only come from God himself.

That admission will depend on which Christian you ask:

51ejO7S09WL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God speaks through His revealed Word. Not through the voices in your head.

Yes, He did. However, this isn't the OT.

No verse in Acts 16 says God gives extra-Biblical revelation.

...which has nothing to do with your claim that God speaks to you extra-Biblically.

Stop right there. You're conflating what God "can" do and what God does do.

Actually, this verse is a greeting, wishing readers peace with God through Christ, not an instruction and not a declaration that God speaks extra-Biblically.
So God had conversations with people in the O.T. under an inferior covenant, but He won't under a superior covenant. God created us to have a relationship with Him.
So for you prayer is a one-way conversation?

In Acts 16 the Holy Spirit forbad Paul from going into Asia. The command from Jesus was to go into all the world.
The Holy Spirit had a plan for Asia, Paul was not to go there yet. If Paul had just been following Jesus' command, he would have gone into Asia.

Show me the verse that says God ONLY speaks through His Word?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus himself specified that his believers could do the works he was doing. I have spent a lot of time around Christians, and I've never seen these works in action.

It's a lot of Bible study, church attendance, praying for things, biblical discussion, laboring for the gospel. But sadly no power's to be, and for me this lack of demonstrated spiritual abilities turns me away.

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

You can find this, but may need to look in more than 1 or 2 places!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, fair enough. But even if a hand full out of the 2.2 billion Christians had these powers, it still would be obvious and confirmed to us non believers.

Ok, I was rescued from a dangerous fall backwards off a 2nd story roof above large rocks, when I prayed "Help!", and I woke up unharmed, no bruises or soreness, but only a superficial cut on one arm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By your estimate, no one would be able to perform miracles.
It is impossible for an atheist to rightly divide the Word of Truth presented to we Christians Biblically.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not about me, it's about you and other Christians not having the works of God.

I am amazed at how so many Christians disregard the obvious facts around their lack of super natural abilities. Abilities they must have that separates them from the ordinary.
we're not marvel's super mutants. seriously, lay off the drugs.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
we're not marvel's super mutants. seriously, lay off the drugs.

Pharisees were also demanding “signs”.The rich man in the parable —-the guy in hell—desired something unusual..father Abraham said “if they do not listen to Moses and the prophets ,they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pharisees were also demanding “signs”.The rich man in the parable —-the guy in hell—desired something unusual..father Abraham said “if they do not listen to Moses and the prophets ,they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead”
exactly. as in the verse how Gentiles are always looking for signs. It is actually a big reason for the Charismatic church movement. They wanted signs and sought after things that were of this world while deceiving themselves and saying it was from God, so they made signs to deceive themselves and the elect if possible.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Then why did he promise his followers God's powers would follow their faith?
It does, in places. These places tend to be out in the missions field as opposed to domestically. But I do know people who know people who have been miraculously healed.

Upvote 0

primarymay

Nov 5, 2017
Brisbane
✟11,914.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I was rescued from a dangerous fall backwards off a 2nd story roof above large rocks, when I prayed "Help!", and I woke up unharmed, no bruises or soreness, but only a superficial cut on one arm.
When I was a Child I used to jump off a 2 story balcony to the ground.

I was unharmed also.

Upvote 0

primarymay

Nov 5, 2017
Brisbane
✟11,914.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It does, in places. These places tend to be out in the missions field as opposed to domestically. But I do know people who know people who have been miraculously healed.
And not one recorded event I suppose.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And not one recorded event I suppose.

Primarymay...have you not seen the Benny Hinn clip where lightning emanates from his fingertips over the CROWD....how ‘bout them copperhead handlers in my near by Kentucky? What will it take to convince you? No wonder there are so many atheists out there——I used to be one.This is not as exciting as to what you may prefer to hear,but the miracle I s in Changed lives. I have # #. Seen vile hard hearted me n transformed into into the sweetest people on earth.Men like myself and many others.Thst That is today’s miracle."..sorry if that is not convincing."...but it is the truth. May the God you don’t believe in bless you—He blessed this former atheist years ago.

Upvote 0