What to wear??? Speaking tongues

Feb 22, 2011
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just to clear it up, cos guys seem to be getting confused, speaking in tongues is speaking in other languages:

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Other tongues, meaning other languages.

Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

See they were basically preaching unto the jews in the other nations in the languages they spoke, because they didn't speak hebrew. That's how the gospel got round to the israelites in other nations.

"Speaking in tongues" as it is done in church is not proof of the holy spirit, the only reason it was done in acts the second chapter was so that the disciples could reach the israelites in other nations. Right now there's no need for such so be able to speak in multiple tongues (read: languages). Actual proof of the holy spirit is understanding of scripture also more on topic.

Deu 22:5 ¶ The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God.

The scripture is clear, you can't debate it. If you wear trousers of any kind as a woman you are an abomonation to the most high. Same for if a man puts on a dress.

If you think that having grace is reason enough to be able to bypass that then:

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Rom 6:15 ¶ What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

So if you now knowing this wear trousers then you're going against the scriptures.

No one but israel is under grace anyway so it doesn't matter for you anyway.

Upvote 0

Deserae2011

Feb 11, 2011
Ohio
✟7,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Thank you seashale, the posting before you totally lost me... I really appreciate all the advice... I believe that I will be able to speak tongue if God gives me that gift. As said before I am going to continue my walk with christ and have faith that he will give me whatever it is that I need. I posted this to see what responses I would get and I am very pleased... My pastor said that there will be services where they speak about tongues and I will see it in action... Im excited, can't wait... Im sure that God will give me the message I need to hear and who knows maybe I will be speaking it that day... We will see.. I have faith.... Thank you very much.. God Bless

Upvote 0

Deserae2011

Feb 11, 2011
Ohio
✟7,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I did not see the other pages before I posted... Idk a lot to pray about after all the postings... To you THESEEDOFDAVID, I see where you are coming from, I really do and I respect your opinion, but as I have been told and as to how I feel, I do not think my clothing has anything to do with my salvation. If that were the case, I dont think I would be experiencing all these blessing in my life, nor have the holy spirit... I dont speak tongues now, but Im only living for today as scripture says. I didn't speak tongues right after baptism. I was shaking and crying uncontrollably. It was good though... Great feeling... I appreciate everyones post, I respect them as well. Again thank you all....

Upvote 0

Deserae2011

Feb 11, 2011
Ohio
✟7,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
1Timothy2: 9-10 I want woment to show their beauty by dressing in appropriate clothes that are modest and respectable. Their beauty will be shown by what they do not by their hairstyles ir the gold jewelry, pearls, or expensive clothes they wear. This is what is proper for women who claim to have reverence for God.

Im not going to go out and dress like a hooch. I wear my dress pants and nice t's, that make me appear modest...

Upvote 0

Deserae2011

Feb 11, 2011
Ohio
✟7,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
1Peter 3: 3-4 Wives must not let their beauty be something external. Beauty doesnt come from hairstyles, gold jewelry, or clothes. rather, beauty is something internal that can't be destroyed, Beauty expresses itself in a gentle and quiet attitude which god considers precious.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You have a bad translation of the bible, that's why you're misunderstanding those scriptures, but since you wanna go to the new testament about women, lets:

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

There isn't anything about beauty there it's about how they carry themselves as well their behavior. Modest apparel going back to the ancient world for the jews would have been similar to the garments you see muslim women wearing today, and they wouldn't have been wearing any of the garments which are designed for men either. And women shouldn't braid their hair because that's for men.

Now as i'm teaching you out of the scriptures lets go further down and see what it says:

1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

So you shouldn't be trying to combat me on the scriptures, also:

1Cr 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Cr 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

Once again, silence. Now on peter:

1Pe 3:3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Once again he's saying the same as in Timothy, there aint anything in there about beauty, in fact:

Pro 6:24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.
Pro 6:25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

Women ain't supposed to be showing their beauty, the bible says not to sit with another mans wife.

Also Deuteronomy still stands, you should not be wearing trousers.

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Deu 21:18 If a man has a son who is stubborn and rebels, who will not obey his father's voice or his mother's voice, even when they have chastened him he will not listen to them,
Deu 21:19 then his father and his mother shall lay hold on him and bring him out to the elders of his city, and to the gate of his place.
Deu 21:20 And they shall say to the elders of his city, this son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey our voice. He is a glutton and a drunkard.
Deu 21:21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones so that he dies.

Deu 22:11 You shall not wear a garment of different kinds, of wool and linen together.

Deu 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of Jehovah. Even to his tenth generation he shall not enter into the congregation of Jehovah.

Also Deuteronomy still stands, you should not be wearing trousers.

If all of Deuteronomy still stands then do you follow all of it , the above scriptures for example.

If you read it carefully, it is for Israel to follow, I do not think you should be putting unnessesary burdens on people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 22, 2011
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Look whatfor, I follow the commandments to the best of my ability but the most high made it impossible to keep the laws 100% anyway, it's impossible in this society also, I can't hunt or keep my own animals and kill and pray over them according to the law as the bible says. What I'm doing is rehearsing the righteous acts:

Jdg 5:11 [They that are delivered] from the noise of archers in the places of drawing water, there shall they rehearse the righteous acts of the LORD, [even] the righteous acts [toward the inhabitants] of his villages in Israel: then shall the people of the LORD go down to the gates.

As I said earlier israel is under grace so I don't have to keep the law to be saved, but the law isn't done away with:

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

So despite being under grace the law still stands, so yes I do keep it, and it's also nigh on impossible to keep the law about mixing fabrics but the majority of what i wear is purely wool.

Look you don't understand the scriptures, if you did you'd know the old and new testaments both apply to israel and israel alone, which before you wonder I am part of. And not the state either, the actual descendants. You can't say that you're not an israelite and hence not under the law and then on the flipside say you've accepted christ, the old and new testament are both parts of the same book, you can't disregard one or the other.

I'm just telling her what for, because if she wants to get with the bible that means more than saying you've accepted christ as your personal saviour. You don't even know what the Kingdom of heaven is, or that hell doesn't exist. Especially if you're saying that the law doesn't apply to you.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just telling her what for, because if she wants to get with the bible that means more than saying you've accepted Christ as your personal saviour. You don't even know what the Kingdom of heaven is, or that hell doesn't exist. Especially if you're saying that the law doesn't apply to you.

You seem angry man, this is a place for new Christians to be encouraged and instructed and given advice in love...something you seem to lack. I'm not going to argue with you about the law, all I will say is that Christians must mature and we should not push them away by telling them they must do such and such to be saved.

We all must be holy in conduct through faith in Christ; this is our responsibility, duty and honor to be holy for the Lord. But for you to dissect the beliefs of someone you do not even know and to spew your hateful rhetoric is not of the Lord and it has definitely not been done in love. You are not God's judge on the earth, you are a sinner like the rest of us, so let us all just look to our Saviour in love, the One who came from heaven to save sinners not the righteous. Salvation is a one time event, sanctification will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We need to see what the foundation of the Church rests on, and what is expected of those who accept Jesus Christ. Let's start with the only foundation that the Church has:

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished - he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:19-26,NIV)

There's an old saying: "Christians aren't better; they're just better off." And it's correct. We aren't saved because we're more righteous than those around us. We're saved because we have accepted God's gift of salvation, which gives us his righteousness to replace our own unrighteousness. In order to receive salvation, we must recognize it as a gift, not a salary.

And what is to be our response to God for his having given us our salvation? Our response is to accept yet another gift which God gives us when we accept that salvation, and then cooperate with that gift while he 'rewires our circuit-boards':

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking nad envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

Notice in the first paragraph of this passage (which I call 'The Christians Code of Conduct) that the Spirit, rather than we ourselves, is engaging our sinful nature in battle. We could no more fight successfully against our own natures than a leopard could change his spots. So it's up to the Spirit to do the fighting for us, and it's up to us to stay in line behind the Spirit as he does the fighting.

The second paragraph gives us a listing of what those acts of the sinful nature are that the Spirit is fighting against. But take note of how many of those acts aren't acts at all; they're emotions. In fact, they're the emotions which, if left unchecked, lead to some of the most horrendous acts of the sinful nature. But since they're at the very core of our being, it takes the Spirit to 'rein them in', just as it takes a trained surgeon to repair a part of our physical bodies that is in need of fixing.

The third paragraph tells us that the Spirit's work isn't confined to simply keeping our sinful natures at bay. With him he brings the 9 'fruit' that make up the new nature which we are to have as Christians. Our thoughts, our words, and our actions are to have these 9 'fruit' as the core reason for their existence.

They form our borders as Christians. As long as our thoughts, words, and actions emanate from these 'fruit' we can be assured that we are conforming to what God would have of us. But we are not to cross those borders, nor are we to accept the teaching of anyone who would conspire to coax us into crossing those borders. Those people are to be seen by us as false prophets, irregardless of how glibly they present their case for crossing the borders that God has set for us.

And what is our interaction to be with others in this world? Jesus Christ himself told us exactly what he expects of us:

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left."

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by the Father, take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (The Gospel of St. Matthew 25:31-46,NIV)

I have had numerous church denominations, especially in the radical area, that have tried to 'dance around' this direct order. Some told me that it no longer applied to Christians, but instead was now the responsibility of the State. The only task we were to do was evangelize. But there's no expiration date on that passage. Others told me that they believe in doing it, and pray that others be sent to perform those tasks. But Jesus didn't say that we are to believe in doing it; he told us that we are to do it.

Talk's cheap. We can say we're compassionate, but if we withhold help from those who are in need when we could have helped them, then our actions have shown our words to be a lie. Jesus didn't show his love for us through pious words and 'showing off' how holy he was. He showed his compassion in a practical way by healing, casting out demons, feeding, and even raising others from the dead. And he showed his compassion for us through his suffering a punishment that was justly ours to suffer. It is his practical compassion for others that we are to imitate. And it is to him that we will have to give an account of our actions as to how dutifully we obeyed his orders to us.

God bless-

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your post, Im totally confused now because after I posted this one of the pastors at church told me he believe everyone who is saved and recieves Holy spirit should speak tongues.. I am going to do some serious praying to god... If god wants me to speak it he will show me how, if not Im going to continue my walk with god and let him lead me... Its things like this that have gotten me discouraged in the past and I refuse to let this lead me astray..... Thank you

Just follow the bible on this - it doesn't say that's a requirement anywhere. Study Paul's letters specifically with help on the gifts and the abuse some of the churches do with it, even back then. Sadly churches do the same abuses now with the gifts that he warned them on back then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
OP - Deserae2011
Lots of people have given you answers on here, I just want to add that as someone who was given the gift of speaking in tongues by the Holy Spirit (that I did not ask for, it just happened) to not worry because as you will read in the Bible, not everyone is given the gift of tongues, there are other gifts the Spirit will give you, it may be something else..you will know once you walk a bit further with Christ what gift you have. As I understand it tongues were given to me as I didn't believe, but now I believe. You believe anyway even when you weren't given tongues so it seems to me the Holy Spirit has something more for you, something better than tongues, it does say in the Bible tongues is one of the last gifts and they were an immediate sign, but even the apostle Paul says tongues are not the most important of the various gifts. Even now I notice you have great faith, because you refuse to let this lead you astray and yes, faith is a gift!! Not all Christians have this!

Another thing is clothing - I would not worry about this if I were you as Jesus says you have more important things to do and think about than worry about what you wear.
If your church is makes a huge deal over it then I would consider finding a different church. Wearing appropriate clothing ie. nothing to skanky or showy and just being modest is a good to have out of respect for guys (lets face it, they have hormones) but if it they are making it out to be a huge issue then I'd question that churches teaching - is it by grace or law that we are saved? I know there are some sects that are extreme and you women are not allowed to wear pants, have to keep their heads covered, their hair long etc but if your church is just reminding you to be modest and not caught up with fashion then that sounds reasonable to me. I mean if Jesus came back to earth today he would see you as a beautiful person no matter what you are wearing, it's not a crime to make an effort to be presentable, but if previously before you were saved you were tarting yourself up to pull in guys or being overly fixated on clothes then yes - but that's the Holy Spirit's job to convict you of that not the church.

Upvote 0

papaJP

Prophet
Nov 15, 2010
Kerrville, Texas
✟15,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all, and thank you for taking the time to read this post.... I have several things that I am confused about and right after my prayer I felt this would be a good place to continue my search... My soon to be sister and law and I have a really close bond. Problem is I feel she is a enemy when it comes to my growth with god. Her father is a apostolic preacher, she thinks that if you wear pants and makeup that you are going to hell... (she does these things as well) she doesnt know where she stands with god but she believes everything that her dad tells her, she says she is just not ready to take it to the next step. Problem is, she showed me a verse in Deuteronomy 22:5 A women must never wear anything men would wear, and a man must never wear womens clothes. Whoever does this is disgusting to the Lord your God... I began getting really confused... If that is what god wants for me to do I will. But then when I went to the new testament 1 timothy 2:9-15 and 1peter 3:3-5 it worded it differently... She said that Apostolic preaches out of the Old and New Testament, they do that as well at my Nondenominational church as well... She said it is in the old testiment for a reason... Any advice? In my opinion The old testament was before Jesus died on the cross to save us of our sins... Yes it matters I study it to but the New testament was after Jesus so thats the more loving forgiving god??? Any advice on that?

Also she told me they believe that when you are baptised in the name of Jesus you then recieve the holy spirit and can speak tongues, if you cant you are not saved.... Personally I dont believe that because when I looked it up in 1Cornthians12: 27-31 You are christ's body and each of you individual part of it. 28 In the church God has appointed first apostales, next prophets, third teachers, then those who perform miracles, and those who have gift of healing, then those who help others, those who are managers, and those who can speak in a number of laungages. 29 Not all believers are apostles, are they? Are
all of them prophets? Do all of them teach? Do all of them perform miracles 30 or have gifts of healing? Can all of them speak in other languages or interpret languages? 31 You only want the better gifts, but I will show you the best thing to do.

So I think that my calling is helping others... I was enjoyed doing that before I became a christian... I feel that is what god is calling me to do... I hope that I posted what I needed to get some advice I needed... Again thank you for reading and providing me with feedback... Its the way I should dress that has me mostly confused. I have faith that my almighty god will show me what I need to know..

God Bless
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I cannot agree with all the advise you are getting here as some comes from anger, hate and ignorance.

The pastor is quoting typical pentacostal doctrine. It is not totally correct or true. There is no church who has all the truth. This makes it difficult for new Christians to not be misled.

I will address dress. After reading your post you seem to be ok. Remember the body is the Holy Temple of God and do not do anything to disrespect it.

As to speaking in tongues I have the following to say. As I am a graduate Bible Scholar and have serious experiences with God dealing with speaking in tongues, I can say that the following comes from good interpretations of scripture.

Their are 3 gifts of tongues. They are both temporary and permanent.
One is to speak in tongues in assembly. It is the word of God and must have an interpretation. If it is not the word of God the person who speaks it and says it is will be guilty of blastphemy.
Two is the speaking of tongues that comes from God as a word for another believer. This is prophetic usually and must be a word that helps the person grow closer to God. It must be from God or the person violates the command of Jesus to not cause another to stumble.
Both of these previous are temporary gifts. Remember they must be done in a manner not to cause the assembly to be drawn away from the worship of God.
The third is a prayer language that usually comes when filled with the Holy Spirit. It is what Paul meant when he said you pray in tongues and it is a spiritual language that is from the Holy Spirit for you to be able to say things that you cannot put into words of your languages.

It is not necessary for you to have any of these gifts to be saved.
However, it is a blessing to have the gift of tongues as it allows God to speak through and to you.

Those who say it is not scriptural are ignorant. Those who say you should avoid any church are judgemental.

My suggestion is to find a church where you can be fed and grow closer to God and be taught good doctrine. As you mature in your walk you will recognize the man made doctrines and learn to avoid them as they are not from God.

May you walk continue and may you find God and get to His Throne.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your post, Im totally confused now because after I posted this one of the pastors at church told me he believe everyone who is saved and recieves Holy spirit should speak tongues.. I am going to do some serious praying to god... If god wants me to speak it he will show me how, if not Im going to continue my walk with god and let him lead me... Its things like this that have gotten me discouraged in the past and I refuse to let this lead me astray..... Thank you
You're 'right to refuse to let this get to you.

"I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy." 1 Cor 14:5

I realize it can be a hard thing to get through to people who aren't familiar with this kind of argument, but let me point it out for a moment. If everyone did speak in tongues in Corinth -- then Paul has no reason to say he would like it if they all did.

In fact, not all did speak in tongues, any more than any other gift of the Spirit: "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. ... to another speaking in different kinds of tongues ..." 1 Cor 12:7,10

Does Paul's sentiment about speaking in tongues mean people should speak in tongues? I don't think so. Gifts are gifts -- the Spirit decides what to give the church. Paul understands the advantage of miraculous gifts for the church -- but Paul knows it's not his decision.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1Timothy2: 9-10 I want woment to show their beauty by dressing in appropriate clothes that are modest and respectable. Their beauty will be shown by what they do not by their hairstyles ir the gold jewelry, pearls, or expensive clothes they wear. This is what is proper for women who claim to have reverence for God.

Im not going to go out and dress like a hooch. I wear my dress pants and nice t's, that make me appear modest...
Good point.

Frankly, not everything is about salvation in Scripture. Some things are about our common communion with one another, some things are about a good relationship with God, some things are about our reputation & ability to evangelize.

Upvote 0