IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So here is the problem. There is nothing out there that whets my appetite on first glance. I've got a $30 B&N card from Christmas and I don't want to spend it on garbage. I got all the books I wanted to read that came out over the holidays, so they are out. I'm tempted to save it until April to get the newest Dresden book, but that is April, no instant gratification in that!

I read mostly fantasy, but wander into sci-fi upon occasion, with the odd horror and hard-boiled mystery thrown in for a change of pace. My favorite authors include(and I have read nearly everything by) Robert Asprin, David Drake, Jim Butcher, L. E. Modisett, Jr., Eddings (First three series only..the rest are garbage), William Gibson, and, of course, George R. when-will-the-next-freaking-book-come-out R. Wildcards??are-you-serious?-that-series-should-have-been-drowned-after-book-eight-and-you-are-trying-to-revive-it? Martin.

Authors I will avoid like the plague include Goodkind(freak!), Piers Anthony, anything new by Eddings, and any YA fantasy written for pre-teen girls.

Anyone got any recommendations? I don't feel right without a book to read. I'm getting twitchy.

TheManeki

Christian Humanist
Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
✟21,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man, you're up early. I thought I was an early riser, but you beat me and you're not even in the Eastern Standard Timezone anymore.

Ever tried any short story collections by Harlan Ellison? He's enough of a genre-bender that you'd get science fiction, fantasy, horror, pulp detective, and probably some other things, all in one volume.

My favorite collection is Angry Candy.

(Currently, I'm rereading the Illuminatus! Trilogy. Fnord. ;))

Reactions: IzzyPop
Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
lol, I am totally with you on the assessment of Martin. I follow his blog and it doesn't seem like he's putting any work into it....argh. I am on the verge of ripping out my hair...

As for recommendations....have you heard of CS Friedman? She's one of my other favorites.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
lol, I am totally with you on the assessment of Martin. I follow his blog and it doesn't seem like he's putting any work into it....argh. I am on the verge of ripping out my hair...

As for recommendations....have you heard of CS Friedman? She's one of my other favorites.
I have seen the author. I shall google and be right back...

Back. I shall see if my local B&N has her in stock on Wednesday. Sounds interesting. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So here is the problem. There is nothing out there that whets my appetite on first glance. I've got a $30 B&N card from Christmas and I don't want to spend it on garbage. I got all the books I wanted to read that came out over the holidays, so they are out. I'm tempted to save it until April to get the newest Dresden book, but that is April, no instant gratification in that!

I read mostly fantasy, but wander into sci-fi upon occasion, with the odd horror and hard-boiled mystery thrown in for a change of pace. My favorite authors include(and I have read nearly everything by) Robert Asprin, David Drake, Jim Butcher, L. E. Modisett, Jr., Eddings (First three series only..the rest are garbage), William Gibson, and, of course, George R. when-will-the-next-freaking-book-come-out R. Wildcards??are-you-serious?-that-series-should-have-been-drowned-after-book-eight-and-you-are-trying-to-revive-it? Martin.

Authors I will avoid like the plague include Goodkind(freak!), Piers Anthony, anything new by Eddings, and any YA fantasy written for pre-teen girls.

Anyone got any recommendations? I don't feel right without a book to read. I'm getting twitchy.
Anything by Timothy Zahn...
of His stuff I highly recommend the Conqueror trilogy and the Dragon back Series.

If you like Star Wars then read Heir to the Empire

Upvote 0

LostSoul123

Dec 13, 2007
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
I'm surprised you haven't read "the wheel of time" series!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

It's so big and wonderful, its a peace of art.

That and the lord of the rings are the 2 best selling fantasy books world wide.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose.... The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time. But it was a beginning."

:bow::bow::bow:

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm surprised you haven't read "the wheel of time" series!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

It's so big and wonderful, its a peace of art.

That and the lord of the rings are the 2 best selling fantasy books world wide.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose.... The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time. But it was a beginning."

:bow::bow::bow:
I read it. I will read the last one and never pick it up ever again.

Upvote 0