Larry Wilgus

Aug 1, 2016
Greensboro, NC
✟9,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1st ... EVERYONE goes to hell .... hell is merely the grave.
2nd ... ANY unrepented sin will be unforgiven;
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
When you understand the scriptures, hell was a place reserved for the fallen angels.
Jesus often used the word GEHENNA to describe hell. Gehenna was the refuse dump outside Jerusalem that was always on fire. Jesus said hell was a place of worms, maggots, fire, and trouble. From that we get the image of a lake of fire and the concept of perpetual burning. The evil ones there are full of remorse and torment (see Mark 9:43-48).

Jesus also said that hell would be "outer darkness." He said that some in His day "will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 8:12, see also Matthew 22:13). Here the image is one of terrible loneliness. There will be separation from God and man.

Upvote 0

Dartman

May 23, 2017
Washington
✟27,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you understand the scriptures, hell was a place reserved for the fallen angels.
No, the fallen angels are reserved in "outer darkness" FOR judgement, and the eternal destruction (like Sodom and Gomorrha) of that lake of fire;
Jude 6-7 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. 7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Larry Wilgus said:
Jesus often used the word GEHENNA to describe hell. Gehenna was the refuse dump outside Jerusalem that was always on fire. Jesus said hell was a place of worms, maggots, fire, and trouble.
Correct, but even that illustration resulted in the utter destruction Peter phrased; "burned up", and Malachi described as "ashes" under the feet of the immortal righteous;
Mal 4:1-3 For, behold, the day cometh, it burneth as a furnace; and all the proud, and all that work wickedness, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith Jehovah of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. 2 But unto you that fear my name shall the sun of righteousness arise with healing in its wings; and ye shall go forth, and gambol as calves of the stall. 3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I make, saith Jehovah of hosts.

Larry Wilgus said:
From that we get the image of a lake of fire
No, we get the image of a lake of fire directly from John's vivid description of his vision;
Rev 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat upon it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne; and books were opened: and another book was opened, which is (the book) of life: and the dead were judged out of the things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead that were in it; and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death, (even) the lake of fire. 15 And if any was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire.

This lake of fire is a FUTURE event, for which ALL of the dead are wait "in the graves".

Jesus explains where the dead, both good and evil, are waiting;
John 5:28-29 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Larry Wilgus said:
and the concept of perpetual burning.
The concept of "perpetual burning" is a misunderstanding of the Scriptural statements regarding man's inability to quench the lake of fire.
The overwhelming evidence of Old Testament, and New Testament is, the wicked are utterly, and permanently destroyed, while the shame and contempt for them is eternal. On the other hand, the reward of the righteous is eternal life, with both Jesus and his God, on this planet restored to edenic conditions.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unresolved sin? Sin is no longer an issue with God. We are redeemed!
Dartman already gave the answer that I would have given.
The Scriptures make it VERY clear, there are conditions placed on forgiveness, it is NOT automatic;

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Matthew 6:14-15 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses
At the very least, we are responsible for the sins that the Holy Spirit convicts us of. Whatever He doesn't convict us of, immediately, will likely come up later in our walk/sanctification process.

Upvote 0

Samantha Scott

1689 Reformed Baptist
Jul 20, 2016
Columbus Ohio
✟24,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
If you don't mind me saying this, (and I don't mean anything by it, so don't read into it too much)... But, Your very pretty, I see that your brave enough to show your own, full body picture, very brave....

But, you don't look very "happy"...?

Are you OK...?

Peace,

God Bless!

I just don't smile in pictures.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: What sends a person to hell...?
A1: NOT believing!...as per the Bible!

RESPONSE TO POST #200"
"1st ... EVERYONE goes to "hell .... hell is merely the grave. "

FALSE! "Sheol" is the "grave"!

"Sheol"
occurs 67 times times in 65 verses in the NASB. ALL in the OT.

"lake of fire" is a spiritual realm eternally separated from God and the heavenly realm.

1 Samuel 2:6 “The LORD kills and makes alive;
He brings down to Sheol and raises up.

1.underworld, grave,...pit
1.the underworld

Hebrew 7592

2.Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead
1.place of no return
2.without praise of God
3.WICKED sent there for punishment
4.righteous not abandoned to it
5.of the place of exile (figurative)
6.of extreme degradation in sin

Revelation 20:15
And if anyone’s name was not found written in the (Lamb's) "book of life", (saved believers)
he was thrown into the "lake of fire".

the lake ...Greek 3041...limnē... lake, pond, away from shore

of fire...Greek 4442...pyr..."fire" (literally or figuratively, specially, lightning):—fiery

Upvote 0

Dartman

May 23, 2017
Washington
✟27,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP: What sends a person to hell...?
A1: NOT believing!...as per the Bible!

RESPONSE TO POST #200"
"1st ... EVERYONE goes to "hell .... hell is merely the grave. "

FALSE! "Sheol" is the "grave"!
So is hell.
So is "tomb".
So is "dead".
So is "buried".
So is "sepulchre".
Jesus was in hell for 3 days, and then he was resurrected, and he walked out.
Acts 2:27-31 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance. 29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Ron Gurley said:
"lake of fire" is a spiritual realm eternally separated from God and the heavenly realm.
1) There is no such thing.
2) The lake of fire is on the earth, and as a result, the earth and all the works are burned up, and Jehovah God "renews", "refreshes" the earth. This is called the New Heavens and Earth, it is the 3rd heaven and earth, according to 2 Peter 3.

Ron Gurley said:
1 Samuel 2:6 “The LORD kills and makes alive;
He brings down to Sheol and raises up.

1.underworld, grave,...pit
1.the underworld

Hebrew 7592

2.Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead
1.place of no return
2.without praise of God
3.WICKED sent there for punishment
4.righteous not abandoned to it
5.of the place of exile (figurative)
6.of extreme degradation in sin

Revelation 20:15
And if anyone’s name was not found written in the (Lamb's) "book of life", (saved believers)
he was thrown into the "lake of fire".

the lake ...Greek 3041...limnē... lake, pond, away from shore

of fire...Greek 4442...pyr..."fire" (literally or figuratively, specially, lightning):—fiery
Rev 20:13-14 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Is your understanding of this .... hell is cast into hell??

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I would hatred in one's heart for others could well send one to Hell.
I heard the opposite of Love is not Hate, but indifference... not caring at all, and Hate can be a kind of passion and imply's it (hate) can come from caring...? Isn't that a conundrum...?

What about that...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bangmegafan

May 31, 2016
India
✟42,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not believing in our own God and believing in other gods will send us to hell! I don't hesitate to say there is no more reason other than this which will send us to hell

It is like going to some other person and believing him as your father! He can't be farther to you forever and you cannot be son for him forever! This is hell. Your each sin will be counted and you will be punished under law

Heaven is like presence of our own father. We have protection, life, care and everlasting LOVE irrespective of our actions! Father won't accept our indecent actions and will also punish us sometimes.. But it never changes the relationship between father and son.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
not believing Jesus would lead a person to hell. not reconciled yet to the Lord

Don't you think that's a petty reason to torture someone forever? Let alone the fact that there's NO reason someone should be tortured forever. But for something as simple as not believing? Sounds like a threat, a scare tactic, and a "either worship me or I'll torture you" worldview.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

bangmegafan

May 31, 2016
India
✟42,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't you think that's a petty reason to torture someone forever? Let alone the fact that there's NO reason someone should be tortured forever. But for something as simple as not believing? Sounds like a threat, a scare tactic, and a "either worship me or I'll torture you" worldview.

One can't believe in God if his intention is to torture someone. Remember, our religion is not Islam. You know that your good father loves you but will you torture some other person for that reason. You know what your good father will do if your do so

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simple question: "What sends a person to hell...?"Comments...?

The only unforgiven Sin is active, informed rejection of God's Holy Spirit.
All other sins have been forgiven by Christ and though his efforts.
Our only "work" is to accept the free gift.
Those who do not accept, end up alone in Hell.

• Winner
Reactions: LowPost42
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The only unforgiven Sin is active, informed rejection of God's Holy Spirit.
All other sins have been forgiven by Christ and though his efforts.
Our only "work" is to accept the free gift.
Those who do not accept, end up alone in Hell.
What about rejecting or embracing Love in general...? I do both of those sometimes, depending usually on my mood at the time, or for other reasons involving imperfect human to human love... I don't want to be that way with the only perfect one however...? But, I wonder if I have or do sometimes...?

But, I have wondered if rejecting Love is rejecting God or not...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0