What makes gender orientation so morally important that it's a protected class?

ChristJudgeOfAll

Jul 1, 2015
✟9,729.00
Faith
Protestant
Why is sexual orientation a protected class?

I mean, I'm ugly, and some people hate on me because I'm ugly, why don't I have constitutional protection for being ugly?

What makes sexual orientation so special? It's a preference (preference of male to females or females to males), why does a preference get protection?

I prefer coke to pepsi, where is my rights?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is sexual orientation a protected class? I mean, I'm ugly, and some people hate on me because I'm ugly, why don't I have constitutional protection for being ugly?

It could happen. There are local laws to protect the ugly.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just make sure you aren't judging people because of how they look!

Jesus did say let the one without sin cast the first stone. So, I can see how God could be working in mysterious ways, to have gay sinners be treated as equals with heterosexual sinners. And, possibly, Christian culture people have brought up children in hypocritical ways, so now the children have gotten wise to how those parents were not getting real satisfaction and not getting into real loving, and so the children have gone elsewhere. And so, if you don't like the product, stop doing what has been helping to produce it >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

"For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17)

So, then, if people are first about judging gays, instead of first being our example of how we get judged "first" . . . God could be letting the gay thing happen, as a thorn in the flesh for self-righteous religious folks who more busy with pointing at others, instead of first dealing with how we ourselves are wrong.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

It is only protected in some jurisdictions.

This is because lawmakers in these jurisdictions have made this decision, due to their perception of an injustice that required remedy.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Because there are people who discriminate based on it. In the words of middle schoolers, "Duh."

Wasn't there a thread just like this a couple weeks ago?

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The government makes their laws, and we have our own laws of our own conscience and our own religion.

The political trends are what they are, and you do not have to accept them or support them. It is probably better for you if you oppose them actively, in my opinion, if you disagree with them.

I do not believe we should hurt or excommunicate or abuse people who are different than us, sure.

But the active attempts to normalize the immoral behaviors and inculcate it as the moral equivalent of what is proper behavior is not... ideal for anyone.

This isn't going to work out well -- and I do not feel bad saying that because in the end history is on my side (and always has been). I am not even going out on a limb here.

Upvote 0

havevisions

Dec 24, 2010
Southwest Virginia
✟47,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is confusing sometimes when we have to walk on egg shells, afraid that we may accidentally offend someone. There are so many LGBTTQQFAGPBDSM persons (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, Flexual, Asexual, Genderf---, Polyamorous, Bondage/Discipline, Dominance/Submission, Sadism/Masochism) around and its getting more difficult to discern who is who.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is confusing sometimes when we have to walk on egg shells, afraid that we may accidentally offend someone. There are so many LGBTTQQFAGPBDSM persons (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, Flexual, Asexual, Genderf---, Polyamorous, Bondage/Discipline, Dominance/Submission, Sadism/Masochism) around and its getting more difficult to discern who is who.

It can be very trying having to deal with people unlike ones self, such a shame they are no longer forced to affect conformity by threats of violence.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I mean, I'm ugly, and some people hate on me because I'm ugly, why don't I have constitutional protection for being ugly?

What makes sexual orientation so special? It's a preference (preference of male to females or females to males), why does a preference get protection?

You mean like your preference of religion?

Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟201,141.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

So that is a real problem in your everyday life..?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

If you're concerned about discrimination based on your physical appearance perhaps you should form a lobby group to represent your interests?

Yes, what makes it so special? What makes it so important that people wish to deny others housing, employment or services because of it?

In what way are your rights being infringed upon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

What has been shown as a group under assault by those who would strip them of the same rights as other citizens has always ended up as a group in need of protection.
What is vital is to not concentrate on them in the political arena, which also includes other groups who may see their own rights in jeopardy by people they don't understand and have been demonized by the press to be insane.

What needs to be done is a more proactive engagement on a spiritual level that doesn't include Christian's shacking their fist, brandishing signs and cursing other people for not being who they are.

It's the imagery that scares people and personally I think not understanding this shows a serious lack of compassion towards others.

We must reach out to them at their level, with all the love, respect and dignity a child of God deserves. I don't care if they believe in God. That doesn't matter, but It does matter that God believes in them and we are the ambassadors of that God and need to remove our own personalities from the mix when dealing with those who are lost.

Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟201,141.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What needs to be done is a more proactive engagement on a spiritual level that doesn't include Christian's shacking their fist, brandishing signs and cursing other people for not being who they are.

So you feel you're the victim here..?

Edit: not directed to you of course, my bad..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you feel you're the victim here..?

Edit: not directed to you of course, my bad..
What are you talking about? Where did you ever in anything I said made you think I thought anyone was a victim here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's why I treat them all like, well.. like people.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Which particular sexual orientation would you like to discrmimate against? Or would you like to discriminate against all of them?

What kind of protection would you like to have due to your ugliness? Do you not have the right to be ugly?

I´m not sure what kind of protection you are thinking about here. I mean, you are free to have whatever sexual orientation you have, and you are free to look the way you look.

You do have the right to drink coke. What sort of beverage-related right would you like to have, in addition to that?

Upvote 0