What kind of things do you all find romantic?

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sounds better than the usual abandonment.

Funny/sad really.. I'm often considered admirable until the actual dissection of the psychology is done.

Remember a while back somebody on this forum made a thread asking the guys if they'd stay with a woman if she lost her ability to walk and had to be bound to a wheelchair for the rest of her days. I was one of the few people to say "yes I would". Just thinking of that scenario made my mind switch to a nurturing/caring mode. One poster responded "wow, most Christians said no.. but one of the few atheists said yes.. that's very kind of you.".

Sorry that the drive and ability to want to care for others requires some sort of positive emotional element.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny/sad really.. I'm often considered admirable until the actual dissection of the psychology is done.

Remember a while back somebody on this forum made a thread asking the guys if they'd stay with a woman if she lost her ability to walk and had to be bound to a wheelchair for the rest of her days. I was one of the few people to say "yes I would". Just thinking of that scenario made my mind switch to a nurturing/caring mode. One poster responded "wow, most Christians said no.. but one of the few atheists said yes.. that's very kind of you.".

Sorry that the drive and ability to want to care for others requires some sort of positive emotional element.

Most C's said no? (remember I have been gone for a while)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most C's said no? (remember I have been gone for a while)

Yeah. Most weren't mean about it.. just honest that they'd drift away. Which sadly usually happens in reality.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
how is that sadistic? seems like the one taking care of the person with the broken leg would have had to be the one who broke the leg in the first place for it to be "sadistic".

I think it is normal behavior to want to care for a loved one that is hurt and I agree that it is romantic.

It's just the same psychology. Where else do you think people derive love from traditional sadomasochistic relationships? Doesn't really matter if you caused the suffering or not.

This guy explains the various natures of love well. Including what we're talking about.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hmm the crippled persons weakness would act as a buffer to help ensure that she might stay with you, which could give you comfort and a better guarantee of a lasting relationship. it might give you a sense of worth or a sense of power.

it would seem good to be switched into such a caring mode. recently two times I had powerful affections come from my heart. once when I held a baby puppy to my heart and another time when I held to my heart a baby kitty that did not even have it's eyes opened yet. the overwhelming power of their innocence, powerlessness, and cuteness opened something in my heart that spewed out.

ty for the video, will watch right now

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not surprised.

Yeah.. remember reading a study that for the average person when it comes to caring they switch to cognitive empathy to actually care for them.. can't imagine that gives them much motivation for the long haul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hmm the crippled persons weakness would act as a buffer to help ensure that she might stay with you, which could give you comfort and a better guarantee of a lasting relationship. it might give you a sense of worth or a sense of power.

That doesn't really sound healthy (a sense of worth sounds acceptable though). I'm more just talking about an emotional insensitive to take care of someone. A sense of actually wanting to do good will. Not to lord power over them or anything.

it would seem good to be switched into such a caring mode. recently two times I had powerful affections come from my heart. once when I held a baby puppy to my heart and another time when I held to my heart a baby kitty that did not even have it's eyes opened yet. the overwhelming power of their innocence, powerlessness, and cuteness opened something in my heart that spewed out.

ty for the video, will watch right now

Yeah the video gets behind the psychology of that.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that vulnerability can be highly romantic.

That doesn't really sound healthy (a sense of worth sounds acceptable though). I'm more just talking about an emotional insensitive to take care of someone. A sense of actually wanting to do good will. Not to lord power over them or anything.

yeah I guess you don't have to equate power to worth even though knowledge is a kind of power. so is competence and ability. imo the desire for power does not have to be evil. yeah, it does not sound healthy. guarantees don't seem to equate to vulnerability. imo love can't exist without freedom. mutual love can't exist without mutual freedom.

I really like how vulnerability and love are connected. it helps me make sense of why this world would exist in such a weakened state and why Jesus would also be put in a vulnerable state.

it seems that inflicting pain on the one you love or trying to control them is pathological? lines start to get blurry. maybe the key is mutual love? I guess I should consider that some people get a rush out of pain? it's weird how torture will make the victim love his oppressor. this appears to be a coping mechanism where a high level of agreeableness kicks in for survivals sake?

I don't see much difference in love and desire. they are two sides of the same coin. not all love is good love. what does the tormentor love/desire? to hurt others maybe? what does the victim desire/love? his own continued existence? his well being? for reality to go well rather than terrible?

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's weird how torture will make the victim love his oppressor. this appears to be a coping mechanism where a high level of agreeableness kicks in for survivals sake?

I don't see much difference in love and desire. they are two sides of the same coin. not all love is good love. what does the tormentor love/desire? to hurt others maybe? what does the victim desire/love? his own continued existence? his well being? for reality to go well rather than terrible?

God now I understand perfectly where the "turn or burn" doctrine came from.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yeah I guess you don't have to equate power to worth even though knowledge is a kind of power.

Not that power is bad by default, just that being with someone because one is (most likely) insecure and wants a partner who seemingly has little options to stray away isn't good or remotely a good basis for a healthy relationship.

I really like how vulnerability and love are connected. it helps me make sense of why this world would exist in such a weakened state and why Jesus would also be put in a vulnerable state.

Yeah, Christianity and sadomasochism. The reason I became interested in sadomasochism and psychology is because of my past faith.

Not sure how much I want to delve into that topic. Extremely painful, and I want to keep a somewhat decent relationship with other posters here. Only brought up Mother Teresa being accused of being a sadist because I find it somewhat humorous when Christians try to make statements about sadism being disgusting. They don't seem to realize that for as long as the terms sadism and masochism have been around, Christianity has been heavily scrutinized regarding the topic. Even the guy who coined the terms got into some trouble with the catholic church for equating the desire for martyrdom with masochism and hysteria.

Although as I argue that sadomasochism isn't evil by default, sadomasochism and spirituality isn't necessarily always a bad thing. I still look fondly at certain aspects of my Christian faith.. and have deep respect and interest for various (mostly) monks and nuns from the past. Even think they'd provide worth for people in secular/atheist worlds.

it seems that inflicting pain on the one you love or trying to control them is pathological? lines start to get blurry. maybe the key is mutual love? I guess I should consider that some people get a rush out of pain? it's weird how torture will make the victim love his oppressor. this appears to be a coping mechanism where a high level of agreeableness kicks in for survivals sake?

There are certainly examples of sadism being bad (true for vanilla love too), although I'm not really talking about anything I'd consider "torture". Just the realistic psychology of why people in consensual sadomasochistic relationships find them loving/romantic.

The simple reason being is that some human beings find taking care of others to be romantic, and that those same feelings can even be transferred to say BDSM style relationships. The seemingly "messed up" desire of sadism might actually have quite heartfelt and good intentional origins.

The deeper psychology of wanting to hurt others is to reduce the other person as being a "victim" someone to care for. Of course this isn't the only spectrum of sadism, but it is the one that's relevant when we're talking about sadism and romanticism.

I'd argue that those high on romantic sadism are high on other types of sadism as well. When I mock feminists and try to hurt their feelings I'm not doing it for any romantic reasons (the idea of being romantic to a common feminist makes me want to puke.. lol).. although the high empathy of sadists (which brain scans of sadists seem to indicate) does give one enough emotional energy to perhaps go too far when it comes to drama and arguing. I'm certainly guilty of easily losing control of my emotions.. lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God now I understand perfectly where the "turn or burn" doctrine came from.

hmm I think God is jealous in the most divine sense.

a refined jealously can be romantic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Alright enough of that s/m talk.. lol.. lets talk about the possible psychology of non-s/m empathetic love.

Like what is so romantic about going to the beach with someone? Or giving them a hug/flowers for no reason?

Ever since I can remember I've been obsessed with trying to feel/imagine non-s/m empathetic type love. Strangely enough the only time I can possibly remember feeling something like that is a few times while I'm dreaming. Sadly when I try to recollect those emotional memories my mind can't do it. All I remember was how smooth and easy going the love felt. Like s/m empathetic love has that carbonated taste while non-s/m empathetic type love was smooth like drinking a nice glass of juice or something.

Does inspire me to imagine what being able to feel that love in real life would be like. Still.. I find the whole thing pretty mysterious. As a Christian I always thought such love would be abound in heaven. When all pain is wiped away forever.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Romantic to me is someone who takes the time to listen to me and understand me. The most "romantic" Valentine gift I ever got was a camping dutch oven. The reason it was romantic is that my husband heard me say that I wished I had one in casual conversation (I was attending trainings to become a Cub Scout and a Girl Scout leader.) I never specifically asked for it and wouldn't have spent our tight budget on it. It was probably about $20-30....and I almost burst into tears because it meant he actually saw watch was important to me. Ironically, it wasn't even the "right one" because it didn't have legs but I promise I did not exchange it and it will probably be in my possession on the day that I die.

The things that most people consider "romanitic" are only romantic if being received by someone we feel romantic about. Receiving flowers is more embarassing when they come from the "wrong" person...and you feel bad because you know that someone spent money on you and you aren't greatful at at all. Items themselves aren't romantic but rather being valued by the person you are in a relationship is. The who matters as much as the what.

Flowers on the first date are not particularly romantic .... having a man be genuinely interested in who you are and how you think is ... so is having a man open up and being honest about his life is also romantic. This is why people save things as cheap and without value as napkins from a really good date and keeping these small keepsakes forever. A drawing or poem on a napkin can be more romantic as a dozen roses or an expensive restaurant.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Romantic to me is someone who takes the time to listen to me and understand me. The most "romantic" Valentine gift I ever got was a camping dutch oven. The reason it was romantic is that my husband heard me say that I wished I had one in casual conversation (I was attending trainings to become a Cub Scout and a Girl Scout leader.) I never specifically asked for it and wouldn't have spent our tight budget on it. It was probably about $20-30....and I almost burst into tears because it meant he actually saw watch was important to me. Ironically, it wasn't even the "right one" because it didn't have legs but I promise I did not exchange it and it will probably be in my possession on the day that I die.

The things that most people consider "romanitic" are only romantic if being received by someone we feel romantic about. Receiving flowers is more embarassing when they come from the "wrong" person...and you feel bad because you know that someone spent money on you and you aren't greatful at at all. Items themselves aren't romantic but rather being valued by the person you are in a relationship is. The who matters as much as the what.

Flowers on the first date are not particularly romantic .... having a man be genuinely interested in who you are and how you think is ... so is having a man open up and being honest about his life is also romantic. This is why people save things as cheap and without value as napkins from a really good date and keeping these small keepsakes forever. A drawing or poem on a napkin can be more romantic as a dozen roses or an expensive restaurant.

Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I can't believe I am doing this, but here we go.
I would take her to the mountains on my property in my 4wd pickup and have a picnic on the tailgate while looking across the lake. Go fishing, if she really wants too and then take a walk along the waters edge, just holding hands and talking about whatever.
Then as the sun sets, I would build her a large bonfire, where we could sit by one another and roast marshmallows and drink hot coffee, while we listened to the crickets and whippoorwills in the distance .
{Probably pretty cheesy to most girls, but I am a country boy all the way} :wave:

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0