Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea what gift(s) I may possess. How do I find out?

You may find it helpful to google some online tests and resources. Since I haven't used any personally and cannot verify their accuracy, I don't have a specific one in mind to recommend, but it's a good start.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You may find it helpful to google some online tests and resources. Since I haven't used any personally and cannot verify their accuracy, I don't have a specific one in mind to recommend, but it's a good start.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Whatever you do, don't try these so called tests for finding your spiritual gifts. They are shear carnality and completely misleading.
The best way to discover your gifts is to learn from the Holy Spirit himself, and by being amongst those who truly move in the gifts of the Spirit and can encourage you.

I know my areas of gifting, and have been moving in them since the 1970s. But against my better judgement, I finally gave in to persuasion and did one of these tests about a decade ago.
I was horrified at the questions and the final answers. So I decided to do the test again, but in reverse order by putting my known gifts in the answer section, and then going backward through their sequence of questions to the start page.

This showed that the personal characteristics the test indicated would lead to these gifts, were nothing more than poor character traits!

ie. Always wanting to tell people what to do is no indication of the gift of prophecy. Its far more likely that the person has issues of control and domination.

It appears to me that someone has taken a Human Resources employment questionnaire, and modified it into a so called Christian gifts chart.

The problem that raises is that if someone hasn't matured enough to flow in any of the spiritual gifts, the only characteristics he will tick on the chart, are his natural tendencies, the carnal ones he possessed before he became a Christian!

The result will be an amalgam of his good and bad carnal tendencies, rather than spiritual gifts from God.

Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Thank you for this suggestion. I've read lately in my devotions about using our gift(s) or talents and I'm at a loss as to what my are.
Whatever you do, don't do one of those spiritual gift questionnaires. They are pure carnality.

I know my areas of gifting, having walked in them since the 1970s. Against my better judgement, I was persuaded to fill in one of these questionnaires about 12 years back.
The results were ridiculous. I then decided to do the test again, but this time backwards just to see how they arrived at their idiot conclusions. So I put my known gifts in the answer slots, and then backtracked line by line ticking the appropriate boxes until I got to the first page.

I was again appalled at what I saw.

It seems that someone has taken a Human Resources employment questionnaire and modified the questions to look like something spiritual.
The problem that raises is that if someone has not matured in their spiritual walk, then the boxes they will tick on the questionnaire are likely to be the natural traits they had before becoming a Christian, ie, their carnal character.

The results will thus be an amalgam of various unspiritual carnal desires masquerading as God's gifts.

ie. Wanting to tell people how to run their lives, is no indication of having the gift of prophecy! Its far more likely that person has a control issue that he needs to repent of.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Whatever you do, don't try these so called tests for finding your spiritual gifts. They are shear carnality and completely misleading.
The best way to discover your gifts is to learn from the Holy Spirit himself, and by being amongst those who truly move in the gifts of the Spirit and can encourage you.

I know my areas of gifting, and have been moving in them since the 1970s. But against my better judgement, I finally gave in to persuasion and did one of these tests about a decade ago.
I was horrified at the questions and the final answers. So I decided to do the test again, but in reverse order by putting my known gifts in the answer section, and then going backward through their sequence of questions to the start page.

This showed that the personal characteristics the test indicated would lead to these gifts, were nothing more than poor character traits!

ie. Always wanting to tell people what to do is no indication of the gift of prophecy. Its far more likely that the person has issues of control and domination.

It appears to me that someone has taken a Human Resources employment questionnaire, and modified it into a so called Christian gifts chart.

The problem that raises is that if someone hasn't matured enough to flow in any of the spiritual gifts, the only characteristics he will tick on the chart, are his natural tendencies, the carnal ones he possessed before he became a Christian!

The result will be an amalgam of his good and bad carnal tendencies, rather than spiritual gifts from God.

I will take this into consideration. As part of my devotion and prayer time, I do ask for a revelation as to what gift I may have been given.

Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are natural gifts.1] an natural human gift.2] One that it from God from your spirit man,Example Phil Driscoll ,Christian musician .When He sings and plays his trumpet the Presence of God files the room and some people experience a healing.
Then there are the spiritual gifts talked about in the bible.These are for the building up of body/Paul never said not to get them,all you need is love.He was like a bill in a china shop.God talked to him about getting love to tone him down a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davp

Mar 24, 2013
Adelaide
✟10,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had dreams and visions, although I have more dreams now, which must mean I am an "old man", sigh! They only happen during intense tribulation, maybe because through sheer grief, I draw closer to God! I even fasted, not by choice, but just because of stress, you naturally stop eating and sleeping and spend all your time praying and seeking Gods word! I believe this is the true fasting. It is not something conjured up! It's just the sheer stress of a situation. I also think I have the ability to test spirits! But most have come through the experience of time to know the difference from a legless lizard and a serpent! One has to watch, one doesn't become puffed up with ego! That's the biggest challenge of spiritual gifts. Satan constantly wants to make Christians cause Gods name to be trashed by our witness. And importantly must be mature in faith, as an overseer - 1TIM 3: 6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There are natural gifts.1] an natural human gift.2] One that it from God from your spirit man,Example Phil Driscoll ,Christian musician .When He sings and plays his trumpet the Presence of God files the room and some people experience a healing.
Then there are the spiritual gifts talked about in the bible.These are for the building up of body/Paul never said not to get them,all you need is love.He was like a bill in a china shop.God talked to him about getting love to tone him down a little.

What is dangerous about a bill in a china shop? I thought they are only dangerous when you can't pay them.

Upvote 0

davp

Mar 24, 2013
Adelaide
✟10,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example Phil Driscoll ,Christian musician .When He sings and plays his trumpet the Presence of God files the room and some people experience a healing.

I have been a musician for the Lord many years, I can say with quite certainty that while a song may calm a troubled soul, it does not have healing power, king David -both prophet and king could testify to that with his experience with King Saul.
And I doubt Phil Driscol would be greater than he. Let me guess does he have an offer "If you buy this, you also get a bonus...."

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had dreams and visions, although I have more dreams now, which must mean I am an "old man", sigh! They only happen during intense tribulation, maybe because through sheer grief, I draw closer to God! I even fasted, not by choice, but just because of stress, you naturally stop eating and sleeping and spend all your time praying and seeking Gods word! I believe this is the true fasting. It is not something conjured up! It's just the sheer stress of a situation. I also think I have the ability to test spirits! But most have come through the experience of time to know the difference from a legless lizard and a serpent! One has to watch, one doesn't become puffed up with ego! That's the biggest challenge of spiritual gifts. Satan constantly wants to make Christians cause Gods name to be trashed by our witness. And importantly must be mature in faith, as an overseer - 1TIM 3: 6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Good advice davp - I hope you didn't learn this the hard way :)
Mature we must

I think I've been there and worn the T shirt and that one - If we ever did "confessions" part of the Forum than we'd get some shockers. It' s a good job the good Lord says he FORGETS our sins even if the world does not.

Isaiah 43:25
"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.

Reactions: davp
Upvote 0

davp

Mar 24, 2013
Adelaide
✟10,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good advice davp - I hope you didn't learn this the hard way :)
Mature we must

I think I've been there and worn the T shirt and that one - If we ever did "confessions" part of the Forum than we'd get some shockers. It' s a good job the good Lord says he FORGETS our sins even if the world does not.

Isaiah 43:25
"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.

Totally agree, I am amazed that God can do any good with us as mankind! Especially in these dark days! Hopefully the clothes of Christ clothes me with is thick material to hide my nakedness.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FIRESTORM314
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums