• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What is your relation to autism/aspergers?

What is your relation to autism/aspergers?

• I'm autistic

• My spouse is autistic

• My child is autistic

• My relative is autistic

• I know someone autistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟13,560.00
Faith
Catholic
My oldest, 18, is quirky, intelligent and musical, not diagnosed but I wouldn't call him "normal" either. Middle boy, 16, is autistic (though originally diagnosed PDD-NOS and ADD - now autistic and CDD ? _combative disorder?). Youngest is PDD-NOS.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime my mom used to tell about me as a baby not wanting to be hugged or held, but I mostly just come off as a bit shy I suppose. :)

Marcia

Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

I have no problems, just challenges!
Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
I am Blessed with Asperger's Syndrome...one big thing I shy away from is eye contact...and I also tend not to notice people's faces. If I try to focus on these things I get overwhelmed...like a rush of feelings all at once. So I avoid it. As a result I think I tend to over look "first appearances" so to speak. I see people not as a blond or brunette, pretty or handsome, or ugly, or fat, or skinny, etc. Rather when someone asks me to describe someone, I might say they are gentle or harsh, upset, or down, giddy, or bouncy. I see them kind of from the inside out.

Over the years I have discovered no one that sees people like this on first impression. It seems that almost everyone looks at the physical person first. By looking at people from the inside out I feel I get a glimpse of what God sees, and what He loves. This has been both a blessing and a seemingly bad curse. But if I focus on the curse then I am doomed...and I think I would rather enjoy life then to let life keep me captive. SO I embrace the blessings that God has given me and rejoice in what he has done.

Also without all my challenges in life and the hard work that I have struggled with...I can appreciate God oh so much more. He has really used my difficulties to bring me closer to Him...and that is a blessing all by itself. So how can I not be thankful to Him for creating the perfect me. He has a plan for me...though I know not what...but I choose to enjoy the ride instead of constantly complaining about wanting to get off.

Upvote 0

HazelAngel

A New Zealander that is proud of her country
May 13, 2007
Watching a Disney Movie
✟25,039.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was blessed with my AS ever since I was a child :D I was diagnosed by Dr Tony Atwood. AS has given me a appreciation for life ever since I had it ... it made me understand that people with AS and people in wheelchairs are actually people not people with diseases aka Parkinsons Disease (I am not critisising it). I have spent some time with people in wheelchairs and am lucky I got to do it so I could understand that they are people.

HazelAngel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joris

Jan 11, 2008
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
am having asperger
and watching the same video many times.
I do the same... Especially as a child did that a lot, but still, can be like that, though I hardly watch TV currently
As a child, when watching some video got interupted I kinda wanted to start all over but parents didn't agree with that ;)

Upvote 0

joris

Jan 11, 2008
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a result I think I tend to over look "first appearances" so to speak. I see people not as a blond or brunette, pretty or handsome, or ugly, or fat, or skinny, etc. Rather when someone asks me to describe someone, I might say they are gentle or harsh, upset, or down, giddy, or bouncy. I see them kind of from the inside out.
wow
I kinda don't focus on outer looks. Yea I see them I suppose but... dunno; I'm probably worthless at describing looks anyway.
Though I think, perhaps I tend to be feel more uneasy with people (am small and physically not strong), or piercings, but get over that when they're friends-of-friends or something.

A few times now since being Christian, I started having feelings for a girl, where I'd feel save enough to share things on my heart with and feel that's okay and just hung out with, and only then "noticing" looks really. Not really looking for relationship so that may be part of why.
Though am not sure whether that's what you were describing really, for me it might partly be a fear like thing that I tend not to look, or would see but ignore (realizing outer looks are in no way guarantee for being save around someone)

Uhm I hope that's okay me replying like that

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rainbow Girl

Feb 16, 2009
✟7,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My twin six year old daughters are autistic, it's been a huge struggle having two of them at once with such varying degree's of autism, it's been challenging and for a long while I lost my faith and got upset with God I know that is selfish and a bad thing to have done but I was seeking answers at the time and didn't get them. Though I never got the answers I don't feel that way any more instead I just deal with how it is and am grateful that both my daughters are alive, well and semi healthy and so what they have this for life, I can teach them how to cope and they will always have me and god to lean on :) **thanks for listening I'm a bit of a talker** hehehe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisLittleHazelnut

Coming soon with new account... find me if you can
Mar 21, 2006
Searcy, AR
✟26,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it actually works out really well... Aspie and Aspie. We understand each other nearly perfectly. :) We hardly ever get into fights... the one fight we've really ever had was wondering if to break off the relationship because it would have to go long distance- I'm glad we didn't.

Upvote 0

saved2008mark

Feb 10, 2009
Swindon Wiltshire
✟7,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
:amen:My 13yr old boy Daniel was diagnosed within the autistic spectrum after many years of fighting for some kind of diagnosis.He was initially given a loose diagnosis of anti feotal syndrome but never really confirmed.As much as it was a shock toothers to us it was a form of relief as then we could get the right kind of help medically as well as spiritually.Daniel is and always has been a blessing to us and some of his ways possibly caused by his Autism can actually really brighten your day!:clap:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.