• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What is your relation to autism/aspergers?

What is your relation to autism/aspergers?

• I'm autistic

• My spouse is autistic

• My child is autistic

• My relative is autistic

• I know someone autistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Wow, I just noticed this forum. My 9 year old son was diagnosed a few months ago with Aspergers. He is very bright, nice young man, but seems to miss out on social cues and cannot control his behavior sometimes. My wife has been reading up on it but I haven't yet. I look forward to discussing things with all of you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My husband says he thinks I have Asperger's. I do not want the label.

Those of you who have been diagnosed with this: I would be curious to know what it means for you, and how you cope with it in terms of everyday functioning, such as jobs.

I don't think that is too far off the OP since the question is "what is your relation to...."

sucribing to this thread in order to see your responses

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
PaladinValer said:
I couldn't vote. I have aspurger's, but I am definitely not autistic. There are great differences between them.
When I said "autistic" I meant being part of the "autistic spectrum" (which includes autism, aspergers, fragile x, ect.). I didn't mean only autism. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aspurger's Syndrome isn't on the Autism spectrum. It used to be considered the "highest functioning form" of Autism, but that is old news. Since the 1980's, it has been given its own category due to the major differences between the two disabilities.

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
PaladinValer said:
Aspurger's Syndrome isn't on the Autism spectrum. It used to be considered the "highest functioning form" of Autism, but that is old news. Since the 1980's, it has been given its own category due to the major differences between the two disabilities.
I'm sorry, every site I went to listed aspergers in the same "catagory" as autism. I know that aspergers isn't the "same" as autism, but both are in the "same" catagory as of early 2005. Out of thousands, not ONE website said that aspergers was in another category. Every website put autism and aspergers in the same category. I will not debate this further.

Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
It is true that it is listed as being part of the autistic spectrum, but scientists are wondering if there are many different types of so called autism that are quite different, have different cuases, or groupes of causes. For the moment it's still speculation, so officially there is just one spectrum. In a few years that will change.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.