• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What is your relation to autism/aspergers?

What is your relation to autism/aspergers?

• I'm autistic

• My spouse is autistic

• My child is autistic

• My relative is autistic

• I know someone autistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayd1966

Don't just listen to the Word...Do what it says.
Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
labellady said:
My oldest son is autistic. I am looking for advice for him. If any one knows anything about autism, I would be very grateful for any help, even if it is a shoulder to cry on. Thanks and have a great night!

Hi!

What kind of information are you looking for? How old is he?

:hug:

Upvote 0

midnightbirdgirl

Jul 23, 2005
Southern Cali
Visit site
✟1,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
labellady said:
My oldest son is autistic. I am looking for advice for him. If any one knows anything about autism, I would be very grateful for any help, even if it is a shoulder to cry on. Thanks and have a great night!

My son is 12 HFA I have tons of info. Just let me know. I am a good listener as well.
Be blessed,
MBG

Upvote 0

AlaskanAngels

Take Time To Stop And Smell The Rosses,
Sep 12, 2005
Alaska
Visit site
✟15,915.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MY 11 year old son Bobby has PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) But he has realy learned to deal with it. Once he knew somthing was differant and he was at the age to control some of it he does much better.

Upvote 0

elenas_flickaby

Feb 2, 2005
Hertfordshire, UK
✟4,258.00
Faith
Christian
my 'little' brother (younger but much taller!) has autism. He hasn't said a word since he was 2 (now 13). i can hear him laughing away to himself as i type this! he's so sweet, his mood changes alot and he can go from very happy to very angry in a second but when he's nice he's very nice. he's always giving me hugs, and my friends too! all my closest friends think he's really cool even though he takes their food and drink if they leave it for like a second! they've all learnt to guard their food now ;) . my brother has an obsession with food (especially apples and oranges) and watching the same video many times. at the moment it's a disneyland video, before that it was the magic roundabout.

Reactions: traingosorry
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

itsgood

Oct 23, 2005
Sydney
✟15,403.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I have Asperger's and I sympathise completely with ace85 :help:

ace85 said:
I'm depressed because more than anything in the world, I want to be normal. I'm sick of struggling just to make friends and keep relationships going, and I'm tired of being laughed at and abused by others for being different. I hate being alone, but because of my disease I don't have a choice. I'm tired of being weird, strange, different, disabled, special, I just want to be like everybody else and that's not gonna happen. Looking at the future it's even worse. I've been told that most autistics and aspies can't do normal things like hold down a job or get married or have kids. Some can't even live on their own. I wonder why did God make me this way, and will I ever have a chance to be normal? I'm not suicidal, but sometimes I think I would be better off dead.

And no, I'm not taking any meds. I can't take mind-altering drugs because it's against the FAA rules (I'm a private pilot and I don't want to quit flying) and when I took meds when I was a kid it had a lot of bad side effects. Meds can't take away the disease, so why bother?

Upvote 0

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm (supposedly) diagnosed as having Asperger's, though my psychologist and psychiatrist aren't 100% sure yet. I'm convinced that I am, though. I can relate to those who are struggling with it here as well, as I've felt many of the same negative feelings. I had to learn to relax and just go with the flow of things, that and getting back into God's word has really helped me relax even more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Itsgood posted in one of my posts and it brought me here to try to understand something new. If one of you would give the short version of Aspergers and what you deal with I would be greatly interested.

I was severally ADHD as a child and contend with adult ADD which has caused me greif with work, home, realtionships so I can kind of relate. I also drive special needs mini school bus and love it, I feel like I can relate to "my kids" on my bus because of what I have had to endure through life since 3rd grade. The other bus drivers even think I'm a little weird for wanting to drive the short bus. I hated the big kid bus because I saw the same stupid stuff I did in school as pertains to the treatment of "different kids". Man, when it happened on my big bus runs I used to get really mad and had to not let my emotions get the best of me:mad:. I always made sure there was room in the front seats for the mainstream special needs kids if they wanted sit close to the driver (me)^_^ and would get to know them and talk to them everyday.

Of course I have autistic kids on my mini bus, they pose a special challenge because each one is very different and you have to find out what works best for them.

Reactions: traingosorry
Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Don't let those memories hound you...I know it's hard. I used to flash back real bad when I would see ppl pick on or make fun of kids who are "different". I know this sounds a little unforgiving but I think we who struggle with what ever form of disability ARE the NORMAL ones. Jesus spent a lot of time with "us" (still does) and rebuffed the so called elite:groupray:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.