What is your favorite translation?

What is your favorite translation? for devotions?

• New King James Version NKJV

• New International Version NIV

• Revised Standard Version RSV

• New Revised Standard Version NRSV

• King James Version KJV

• New Living Translation NLT

• English Standard Version ESV

• New English Translation NET (from DTS)

• New American Standard Bible NASB

• TheMessage

Results are only viewable after voting.

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
NIV
NLT
KJV

I have been, and go to various churches still, and they use different translations. I started with the NIV and I still find this one the easiest to follow, which helps me feel inspired.

I love the KJV although do find it more difficult to understand. That said it is very spiritual and makes me feel overwhelmed at times.

I like having both to hand when I read and study his Word.

Right now, the church I go to use the NLT. It's new to me, but I am liking it so far. It doesn't take away anything from God's Word, but makes it more accessible to those who are new to Christianity, or have not read the Bible before.

Upvote 0

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. ESV
2. HCSB
3. NKJV
4. NLT
5. NIV

It may vary from month to month as to how I'd rank them, but the ESV would generally be my favorite. I like the HCSB, NLT, and NIV to use a different perspective, and then the NKJV has really come on lately (plus it uses the MT). I teach the church youth from the NLT, and I do like their renderings sometimes. I think any the above are good translations, although I also use and consult others like the NASB, NRSV and other versions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brandplucked

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2004
✟4,973.00
Faith
Christian
Well, back when I was a Bible believer I only used the King James Bible, but now that I no longer believe in the infallibility of the Scriptures I sometimes use the NASB but once in awhile for a change of pace I pick up the NIV, and then if I am in the mood I'll go for my NKJV. Of course the old RSV is a pleasant read, and the Message is a real pick me upper too. But if you really want to get down and dirty then only "the original Hebrew and Greek" will do. The ESV is a "must have" version, but in a pinch the Amplified is sort of nice to have but when things get really tough I prefer the Cabbage Patch version and especially the Daffy Duck Bible;-)

Will Kinney

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If Christians would learn the original language which is Aramic their would be no need from all these Translation all saying something Diffrent . Meaning Yashu'a never spoke Greek / Latin never spoke in his day and time !

If we all spoke Aramaic we would be able to read less than 1% of the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If Christians would learn the original language which is Aramic their would be no need from all these Translation all saying something Diffrent . Meaning Yashu'a never spoke Greek / Latin never spoke in his day and time !
We don't need to. Unless you missed it, God's power on the Apostles at Pentecost enabled them to speak His word perfectly in languages they never knew. IT WAS SPECTACULAR!!!

Here's a list of some languages of the countrires that were there to hear it:

*Parthians *Medes *Elamites *Mesopotamia *Judea *Cappadocia

*Pontus *Asia *Phrygia *Pamphylia *Egypt *Libya *Cyrene

*Rome *Crete *Arabia

This is the POWER of God at work magnificently Sodoq!!!! No need for "A r a m a i c"

No need to know Aramaic at all...just know God and know He enables his people to get His word out to the world to reap His harvest! That Day of Pentecost was only the beginning, and what you see today is the result of the "Gospel of "Yeshua Ha'Mashiach" (hebrew for JESUS THE MESSIAH)

Perhaps you need a lesson: Hebrew Names for God - Yeshua Ha-Mashiach

How about that Aramaic? This is Jesus: Ea-shoa' M'shee-khah.

Eashoa' means, "the Life-Giver." Msheekha means, "the Anointed One." Eashoa' Msheekha: The Anointed Life-Giver.

Now...you can post all you want here. You have that right, but I doubt seriously that you truly know Aramaic, when you can't even spell in English.

So know this...we have access through the internet to everything you post. So don't think you're coming across making some great impact here... you aren't.

JESUS IS LORD!!!

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+0]Abwûn d'bwaschmâja
Nethkâdasch schmach
Têtê malkuthach
Nehwê tzevjânach aikâna d'bwaschmâja af b'arha
Hawvlân lachma d'sûnkanân jaomâna
Waschboklân chaubên (wachtahên) aikâna daf chnân schvoken l'chaijabên
Wela tachlân l'nesjuna ela patzân min bischa
Metol dilachie malkutha wahaila wateschbuchta l'ahlâm almîn.
Amên.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

:amen: :clap: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

Jesus might well have spoken some Greek - Galillee was pretty significantly hellenised. Regardless, the New Testament is all written in Greek, and all but a tiny bit of the Old in Hebrew. Aramaic won't get you far at all.

Upvote 0

Enahs4Him

Covered by the Blood of Jesus Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2011
U.S.
✟96,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I prefer the New King James version. Its context is similar to King James but with out all the "theest" and "thouest" :) . I like the Life Application but I find some of the scriptures are more "powerful" to me in the wording of the NKJV.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 1:1-7:13, 7:15-66:24: 1975 Bible In Order or Jerusalem Bible text.
For most of the OT: 1948-1961 Confraternity Version OT. (1965 Mass Market Paperback.)
For the parts of the OT that are hard to find in the Confraternity Version: 1992 English Good News Translation Catholic Edition (2010 leather bound with zipper) = GNTD-CE.
Apocrypha (incl. 4 Ezra): 1989 Revised English Bible (2010 hardback) = REB (I don't read all Apocrypha, just 4 Ezra, 1 Mc, Sirach).
Mt 1:18-16:1: 2009 Catholic Public Domain Version = CPDV with corrections from the 2008 Comprehensive New Testament to align it with the 1993 United Bible Societies Greek New Testament text = UBSGNT4.
Rest of the Gospels: 1992 GNTD-CE.
Pauline Epistles: REB in Logos Bible Study Software.
Rest of the NT: © 1975 Bible In Order, Joseph Rhymer, Editor (hardback) based on the 1966, 1967, 1968 Jerusalem Bible Standard Edition =JB with very few changes (for example changes " to ').
1 Clem: 1937 The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians, by W K Lowther Clarke D.D., Society for promoting Christian knowledge

What I call NT Apocrypha: Teachings of Sylvanus (the edition in Logos); Gospel of Judas (2007 The Thirteenth Apostle: What the Gospel of Judas Really Says (ISBN: 9780826499646): April D. DeConick, http://www.christianforums.com/t7663798-post61107649/#poststop)

AF's: Ignatius of Antioch (1999 translation by Michael W. Holmes: The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations - Logos Bible Software )
ECF: Melito of Sardis ( Amazon.com: melito sardis Popular Patristics Series, Part 1 (10 vols.) - Logos Bible Software ); Tatian (the edition in Logos Catholic Foundations Library)

+ train reading in Gk

Upvote 0