Not open for further replies.

gorion

Sinner
May 31, 2004
Western Washington
✟15,681.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Is it like a time of corporate prayer then?

On Wednesday evenings they have Vespers but on Saturday they have Great Vespers. Is this because of The DL being on Sunday morning or is there more too the reason the Saturday service being called Great?

But they also have have a Orthros service on Wednesday mornings and a DL on Thursday mornings.

I guess I am a little confused.

Upvote 0

gorion

Sinner
May 31, 2004
Western Washington
✟15,681.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I guess I'm not asking my questions correctly. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I am just trying to understand some of the purposes of things. I recently started attending the Divine Liturgies at a local Antiochian parish and haven't become a catechumen (sp) yet. It was suggested that I attend the Vespers services to in order to learn the liturgies better.

You guys always seemed so helpful in here so I thought I would ask.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In some parishes, they only celebrate the Divine Liturgy once on Sunday and once on a weekday. The rest of the time they have Orthros in the morning.
And yes, it is the prayer of the Church (corporate prayers) or common prayers.

Great Vespers is served before a feast day or on Saturday Evenings. In some parishes this Great Vespers is called All-Night vigil because it includes Vespers, Compline and Orthros. So, Vespers on Wednesdays will only become Great Vespers when there is a major feast day falling on Thursday, like the Annunciation or some other feast day.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
R

Rilian

gorion, yes those reasons are part of it. Vespers would usually be about half the time of a normal liturgy, so I think it's a bit of an easier service to do if you're not used to standing up the whole time. I think with less going on, you can focus more and digest some of the things that are different than other churches. There's usually a much smaller crowd for vespers as well, so it's a good chance to talk to people and ask the priest questions. There's usually so much going on after the Sunday liturgy it can be hard to really have a conversation. I think vespers is a little easier for outsiders as well because it's a non-communicating (i.e. no communion, people still talk ;)) service.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Vespers and Matins are part of a daily cycle of services in Orthodoxy. They along with the 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th hours and compline complete the daily cycle of prayer. Monasteries serve them all, parishes will serve a matins and vespers on a few days of the week. The richness of the Orthodox liturgical hymography is found in the Matins and Vespers services. No two Vespers or Matins are alike.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.