Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just because it is the same word does not mean there is not a distinction. My name is Nathan. Am I the prophet that is talked about in the old testament? My name is spelled exactly like his. Are we the same person?

Nathan this does not make any sense to what we are discussing or to the application that the gospel simply means good news and is applied to all of God's Word, not some of it.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Law: What we are supposed to do.
Gospel: What God has done for us.

I've been very clear about this from the beginning.

If it's something we are supposed to do, because God commands it, then it is Law, not Gospel.
If it's something God does for us, entirely apart from ourselves, then it is Gospel.

The salvation we have in Christ, given to us by God, that's Gospel, it is good news to sinners.

There is no good news to sinners in the Law.

The Law does not lead to grace. The Law leads to condemnation.

We have Law without grace whenever the Law is preached. Because there is no grace in the Law. The Law is grace-less.

The Law condemns.
The Gospel saves.

I have repeated myself many times.

-CryptoLutheran
Your words not God's.
The Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, Grace. Now through a New heart and mind filled with his law we are a new creation living in and through faith through Him.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly great post! Thank you HIM nice to see someone reading Gods' Word for themselves.

God bless
Happy Sabbath LovesGodsWord. May our Lord and God continue to bless you too in Christ Jesus.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great explanation! This breaks down the verses and hopefully will help some who are open to God's truth.

God bless.
Happy Sabbath imge. God is good and all good things come from down from Him whom we have our do. may He continue to bless in all His Way, Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Happy Sabbath imge. God is good and all good things come from down from Him whom we have our do. may He continue to bless in all His Way, Jesus Christ.
God is awesome! Happy Sabbath to you!

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The idea here is, when you disagree with something is to state what it is you disagree with and then post evidence that proves the statement is false.

Several indicative points where made. Prove the facts of the post wrong and we will recant.
Well, I did post a response of why it was complicated. Seems you cut that part out.

Being complicated is not something you prove or disprove. It is complicated because someone makes it so.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nathan this does not make any sense to what we are discussing or to the application that the gospel simply means good news and is applied to all of God's Word, not some of it.
It makes absolute sense. I see you choose not to answer the question because then it would be show for what it is.

The Gospel means good news, and no matter how hard you try and weaken it the truth of it will stand.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Your words not God's.
The Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, Grace. Now through a New heart and mind filled with his law we are a new creation living in and through faith through Him.

The Law was a paidagogos, an instrument of punishment for our waywardness. It taught us how we were evil, showing us we were evil, condemning us in our sin. The Law did not lead us to Christ as a friend introducing a friend; but as God's wrath poured out against sin. The Law driving us to our knees in grief, sorrow, humility, and repentance over our sin does not itself bring us to Jesus; but it is there in our condemnation that the Gospel finds us, and God wraps us up in the white robes of His righteousness. That though our sins be as crimson, yet shall we be white as snow. Therefore God freely justifies the unjust.

Go ahead, read through Galatians ch. 3.

The Law was not a gentle tutor, but a harsh disciplinarian until Christ. Having nothing to do with faith (Galatians 3:12), the Law serves only to tell us what to do (or what we ought not do) and shows us our transgression of the Law, that we are indeed sinners condemned and held in contempt under the Law.

The Law was our disciplinarian until Christ; the harsh beatings we endure under the Law is not God's good news, grace, or love poured out on sinners. That is what the Gospel is, the soothing, good word of God to sinners of His love, compassion, and unconditional mercy toward us all in Jesus Christ our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Here is how Dr. Luther puts it in his 1535 Commentary on Galatians

"The Law has a twofold purpose. One purpose is civil. God has ordained civil laws to punish crime. Every law is given to restrain sin. Does it not then make men righteous? No. In refraining from murder, adultery, theft, or other sins, I do so under compulsion because I fear the jail, the noose, the electric chair. These restrain me as iron bars restrain a lion and a bear. Otherwise they would tear everything to pieces. Such forceful restraint cannot be regarded as righteousness, rather as an indication of unrighteousness. As a wild beast is tied to keep it from running amuck, so the Law bridles mad and furious man to keep him from running wild. The need for restraint shows plainly enough that those who need the Law are not righteous, but wicked men who are fit to be tied. No, the Law does not justify.

The first purpose of the Law, accordingly, is to restrain the wicked. The devil gets people into all kinds of scrapes. Therefore God instituted governments, parents, laws, restrictions, and civil ordinances. At least they help to tie the devil's hands so that he does not rage up and down the earth. This civil restraint by the Law is intended by God for the preservation of all things, particularly for the good of the Gospel that it should not be hindered too much by the tumult of the wicked. But Paul is not now treating of this civil use and function of the Law.

The second purpose of the Law is spiritual and divine. Paul describes this spiritual purpose of the Law in the words, 'Because of transgression,', to reveal to a person his sin, blindness, misery, his ignorance, hatred, and contempt of God, his death, hell, and condemnation.

This is the principle purpose of the Law and its most valuable contribution. As long as a person is not a murderer, adulterer, thief, he would swear that he is righteous. How is God going to humble such a person except by the Law? The Law is the hammer of death, the thunder of hell, and the lightning of God's wrath to bring down the proud and shameless hypocrites. When the Law was instituted on Mount Sinai it was accompanied by lightning, by storms, by the sound of trumpets, to tear to pieces that monster called self-righteousness. As long as a person thinks he is right he is going to be incomprehensibly proud and presumptuous. He is going to hate God, despise His grace and mercy, and ignore the promises in Christ. The Gospel of the free forgiveness of sins through Christ will never appeal to the self-righteous.

The monster of self-righteousness, this stiff-necked beast, needs a big axe. And that is what the Law is, a big axe. Accordingly, the proper use and function of the Law is to threaten until the conscience is scared stiff.

The awful spectacle at Mount Sinai portrayed the proper use of the Law. When the children of Israel came out of Egypt a feeling of singular holiness possessed them. They boasted: 'We are the people of God. All that the Lord hath spoken we will do.' This feeling of holiness was heightened when Moses ordered them to wash their clothes, to refrain from their wives, and to prepare themselves all around. The third day came and Moses led the people out of their tents to the foot of the mountain into the presence of the Lord. What happened? When the children of Israel saw the whole mountain burning and smoking, the black clouds rent by fierce lightning flashing up and down in the inky darkness, when they heard the sound of the trumpet blowing louder and longer, shattered by the roll of thunder, they were so frightened that they begged Moses 'Speak thou with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die.' I ask you, what good did their scrubbing, their snow-white clothes, and their continence do them? No good at all. Not a single one could stand in the presence of the glorious Lord. Stricken by the terror of God, they fled back into their tents, as if the devil were after them.
" - Mart Luther's Commentary on St. Paul's Epistle to the Galatians (Galatians 3:19)

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I did post a response of why it was complicated. Seems you cut that part out.

Being complicated is not something you prove or disprove. It is complicated because someone makes it so.
Nothing complicated about pointing out words like, for, also, as and such.
It is not complicated you just can't disprove the points of the post.

Now is when you respond by saying more of your irreverent subjectivity or you continue in this same discourse.

So with that being understood unless you respond to the points of the post I will not be spending anymore time with you on this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Law was a paidagogos, an instrument of punishment for our waywardness. It taught us how we were evil, showing us we were evil, condemning us in our sin. The Law did not lead us to Christ as a friend introducing a friend; but as God's wrath poured out against sin. The Law driving us to our knees in grief, sorrow, humility, and repentance over our sin does not itself bring us to Jesus; but it is there in our condemnation that the Gospel finds us, and God wraps us up in the white robes of His righteousness. That though our sins be as crimson, yet shall we be white as snow. Therefore God freely justifies the unjust.

The Law was not a gentle tutor, but a harsh disciplinarian until Christ. Having nothing to do with faith (Galatians 3:12), the Law serves only to tell us what to do (or what we ought not do) and shows us our transgression of the Law, that we are indeed sinners condemned and held in contempt under the Law.

The Law was our disciplinarian until Christ; the harsh beatings we endure under the Law is not God's good news, grace, or love poured out on sinners. That is what the Gospel is, the soothing, good word of God to sinners of His love, compassion, and unconditional mercy toward us all in Jesus Christ our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran
This law that you are so against is in our hearts and minds. It has become part of us through Christ Jesus. If not then we are not.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nothing complicated about pointing out words like, for, also, as and such.
It is not complicated you just can't disprove the points of the post.

Now is when you respond by saying more of your irreverent subjectivity or you continue in this same discourse.

So with that being understood unless you respond to the points of the post I will not be spending anymore time with you on this.

I only respond how I am able. If you only attack in your responses, then I cannot give any response you would want.

I have directly responded to posts, nothing more. If you do not want to accept it then it is your choice.

If you have something to disagree with me about, rather than attacks, that would be fine. As it stands, all you are doing is making accusations - accusing.

That is not a good place to be - to be an accuser.

• Useful
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This law that you are so against is in our hearts and minds. It has become part of us through Christ Jesus. If not then we are not.

Why would you think that I'm against the Law? The Law is good and holy.

I'm the one who isn't good or holy, which is why the Law can do me no good.

That is why the Apostle St. Paul writes in Romans chapter 7,

"But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead. I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.
" - Romans 7:8-14

The Law brings death because of sin.

Hence why earlier I posted this:

Law-Gospel.png

The Law is good.
I am not.
That is why the Law brings death to me.

-CryptoLutheran

• Useful
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 3:12 (ESV)
But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.”

If you choose to live by the law, then it is your choice. It is not living in Faith though. Anything not of Faith is sin. You will be found a sinner in the end.

We choose to preach Christ and Faith in Him. That is the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The power of sin is the law.

Those who preach the law instead of the Gospel are giving people the power to sin.

I cannot judge who does this intentionally, or unintentionally, but if you preach the law you need to understand.

Christ came to fulfill the law, yet most thought He was destroying it. That is the power of sin that is over people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Happy Sabbath LovesGodsWord. May our Lord and God continue to bless you too in Christ Jesus.
Happy Sabbath HIM sorry I just woke up :clap:. Although mine is over now Ihad a great peaceful and restful one

God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It makes absolute sense. I see you choose not to answer the question because then it would be show for what it is. The Gospel means good news, and no matter how hard you try and weaken it the truth of it will stand.

I am sorry we will agree to disagree. Even in this post I do not know what your talking about to be honest. My whole argument is the the Greek Word gospel means good news. It does not seem you have any scriptures for your view. Of course you are free to believe as you wish I have only provided God's Word here in this OP and Gods' Word is not mine but Gods. For me only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow them.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The power of sin is the law.

Those who preach the law instead of the Gospel are giving people the power to sin.

I cannot judge who does this intentionally, or unintentionally, but if you preach the law you need to understand.

Christ came to fulfill the law, yet most thought He was destroying it. That is the power of sin that is over people.

There is no grace without law as God's law leads to Gods' Grace according to the scriptures *Galatians 3:22-25.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran

Of course the law leads us to Christ. What do you think Matthew 9:12-13 means and how does one know what sin is without the law *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 and that we are all sinners in needs of Gods' salvation? Grace is given to those who believe because we have all sinned and fall short of God's glory *Romans 3:9-23 which is why the law is our schoolmaster to lead us to Christ that we might be forgiven through faith *Galatians 3:22-25.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why would you think that I'm against the Law? The Law is good and holy.

I'm the one who isn't good or holy, which is why the Law can do me no good.

That is why the Apostle St. Paul writes in Romans chapter 7,

"But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead. I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.
" - Romans 7:8-14

The Law brings death because of sin.

Hence why earlier I posted this:

The Law is good.
I am not.
That is why the Law brings death to me.

-CryptoLutheran

This is exactly why the law is good because it is the standard that gives us the knowledge of good (moral right doing) and evil when broken (moral wrong doing; sin (moral wrong doing) and righteousness (moral right doing) *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172. Without God's law we do not know what sin is. If we do not know what sin is we have no need of a Savior from sin *Matthew 9:12-13 and if we have no Savior from sin we are lost in our sins. If we are lost in our sins we have no salvation *Romans 2:11-13. Therefore the can never be God's grace revealed to those who do not know they are sinners in need of God's salvation according to the scriptures *Galatians 3:22-25.

Upvote 0